Chapter 2: I know what you are

One Last Wish

-Young man?... young man! -I heard a voice calling me… I opened my eyes and a lady with grey hair and curved back was staring at me with a worried look on her face.
-Young man, you are going to catch a cold if you sleep here! -she grabbed my arm and gave me a shake- come on, go home - I stood up and looked around, confused… where was I? It was early in the morning and I was standing in a park. I tried to remember what had led me here, was I drinking? Where was my home? and why was I sleeping here?

The day was bright, there was a refreshing breeze that played with the leaves that had fallen from the trees. I sighed, closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Suddenly I remembered a warm voice, sad eyes and a hand in my arm. With my sleeping mind I hadn’t noticed that my hand was clutching onto something, something cold, with an oval shape. I opened my hand slowly and saw a little locket made of silver, inside was a picture of a boy, the same boy I had seen last night! A shiver ran through my spine, and I decided it was time to go home.  

Back at my home I had a shower while thinking what was the meaning of all this. That house, that locket and more importantly, why did that boy said he had been waiting for me? I rinsed my hair and went out, the air was dense and hot by the steam, I sighed,showers always helped me to think things better. I grab some food and sat on my bed, still dressed with only a towel, I looked at the locket that was resting in my bed table.

-What are you?- I said to the empty room without thinking, without even thinking of an answer.

-I’m someone who needs your help- I froze, that voice, that warm voice was coming not from my head but from behind me. A cold sweat fell from my forehead, I couldn’t turn around, I was scared. I just stood there.

-Don’t be afraid, I won't hurt you… I actually need you…- his voice was as warm and sad as before, but it felt distant. I grew courage and made myself turn around to face the voice.

but nothing was there, NOTHING…

There was just a cold sensation and the locket, in my night table. the voice disappeared as soon as it appeared. Was my mind playing me tricks? I didn’t understand at all what was happening… at some point I fell asleep, I was tired, so tired that I didn't even bother to put on pj’s or even get in my bed. That night I dreamed, about an old house, a dog, sadness, fear and darkness.

I felt cold, and remembered that had went to bed . I opened my eyes and there he was. White in the cold moonlight. I didn’t felt scared, I was relieved that there was indeed someone! He turned his handsome face towards me, and I felt cold… I knew then what he was, but didn’t say anything, I waited for him to speak.

-you’ll catch a cold if you sleep and uncovered- he smiled and pointed at my towel.- better do something.

I suddenly felt too self conscious and blushed a bit too much. I saw him smile. I felt, in that moment, deep inside my heart  that I would do anything just for that smile.

 

-Why are you here? and who are you?- I asked him, he had followed me everywhere I went in the house… and after I got my pj’s on and made myself a coffee I sat on my bed and he just stood there, in front of me.

-my name it’s the only thing I remember-he looked down and then at the window- that and you… I remember you. My name is Junho and I’m here ‘cause I need your help. I’ve been waiting for a long long time for you to appear again… -a faint smile decorated his lips.

-wait… to appear again? what do you mean?- I was perplexed

-it’s complicated…-he messed with his hair

-well I believe it is,  but still… I think if I’m going to help you I need to know what I’m stepping into. Don’t you think?- he walked around the room -you are connected to this locket, right?

he just nodded.

-and that old house in my dreams was you doing, right? - he stopped and his eyes looked fierce in the darkness, I was right, it was him.

-you … can feel me?-

-what does THAT mean? I can see you…if that’s-

-No, you can actually tell that I’m there even when I’m not letting myself see… I was right, it is really you- in his voice you could notice a hint of hope, but I didn’t understand anything and he wasn’t telling me anything either. I tried once more..

-You said that you remember me, right?-

-yes…-

-from the house, from last night, right?-

-not exactly...it’s a long story, a broke story ‘cause I don’t remember much…-

-I’m listening. You already got me with this.- He smiled and began.

The story he told was as I write it now:

Decades ago, there was a wealthy family. They lived in the old house (it was new and opulent by that time).

The family consisted in 3: father, mother and son; Me.

I don’t recall anyone else but you. I don’t know who you were and why were you there but you and me were very close friends.

I  woke up one day and everything was cold, dark and smelled like dust. And during a period of time that I can’t tell, I only felt cold, fear, darkness and loneliness.

One day I noticed, that my mortal body was no more. I was now a spirit.

I stood there in the old house, I couldn’t leave it even if I wanted. I was cursed to that house.

Every few times I got glances of you. I could feel you; your energy, your spirit.

I called you with all my heart but you disappeared every time. Until last night.

You are my only connection to what happened to me, you are my only hope.

 

-Are you going to help me, right?, help me remember.-