Problems and Conflict

Malfunctions (The Red Thread of Fate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


     In life, there were many things that were unfair. One of these things, to Taehyung, was having a revenge-driven best friend named Park Jimin. He swore he had never done anything to  upset his best friend. Well, at least not intentionally. He didn't know that Jimin put his headphones under his pillow. It was not his fault that it broke when he slept there. Plus, who in the world puts their headphones under their pillows? That's just asking it to be broken. 

      Also, that time when he accidentally kicked a mug of hot chocolate, sending it all over his best friend's chemistry report. Of course it was not on purpose. He wasn't wearing his glasses so he couldn't see. He was just trying to wake Jimin up for dinner because he apparently had fallen asleep while writing his report with an unfinished mug of hot chocolate next to it. And don't even try to ask why he was working on the floor instead of the study table. 

      Taehyung might be weird, (honestly he sometimes blamed himself for how Jimin turned out to be) but he was sure you use your study table to do work like those instead of on the cold, hard floor. Still, Jimin refused to let him help because 'handwritings, Tae' and 'No, not my homework, chica'. He used to have a Spanish phase, don't ask. Instead, he said he was going to get his revenge someday. For the headphones, Taehyung had to attend dance practices for a month. It was hell. Seokjin was in with it too so he couldn't back out. 

As Taehyung was dragged to the dance practice room, he just wanted to affirm that he always knew Jimin wasn't an innocent mochi. He was an evil, strong mochi. 

"I'll buy you new shoes!" 

"C'mon Chimmm, ice cream? Waffles? Burger and fries?" 

"Don't you love me?" 

Jimin didn't answer to any of the whines or pleads, instead just rolling his eyes and dragging his best friend to the dance practice room. 

     He pouted excessively when Jimin practically threw him inside the practice room, and he stumbled right onto the floor (thankfully on his , no faceplanting) because Jimin actually tied his two legs for safety measures. Honestly, safety measures, he had to hop up all the stairs. It was a tiring activity and Jimin refused to wait for him. It was hell. What a best friend, really. 

Considering he had to rewrite about twenty copies of the same report as punishment, Taehyung wasn't really surprised but he was far from admitting that. 

"I didn't know you two were this ," Wheein commented, pushing up round glasses that fell to her nose. 

     She was sitting on the floor, an open book on her lap as she smiled at them, showcasing her deep dimples. Taehyung groaned as he slid himself over to where she was. The practice room was empty since it was not club day, save for the 95ers trio and a Jeon Jeongguk who snorted in amusement seeing Taehyung's predicament. The latter felt his face burn, turning to glare at his so-called best friend. 
      
     Taehyung didn't even meet the only 97-liner's eyes. He knew that Jeongguk noticed that he had been avoiding him. It had been obvious since he often cut short his visits to the dance practices, and even his visits entirely were not as frequent as before. Of course, Jimin knew this. He had been thrilled to leap up to the chance to torture Taehyung. And also, he needed to act upon his ship, as instructed by the pushy pink-loving hyung, Seokjin. 

     He sat in a corner, sulking. Wheein was telling Jimin how she had to go somewhere with Hwasa in an hour so she had to leave in an hour. Jimin was occupied, so Taehyung busied himself trying to untie his legs. Jimin tied it while he was peacefully eating at the dining table. Seokjin was there to distract him with conversation. By the time his best friend was done, he screamed bloody murder and nearly kicked Jimin in the face. It hit his shoulder instead, but Taehyung was satisfied with the purple bruise just a bit above his clavicle. 

"Here," a pair of scissors were handed to him. Taehyung's face brightened.

But his word of thanks got stuck in his throat as he saw Jeongguk crouching next to him. The younger raised an eyebrow. 

"Thanks," Taehyung mumbled, feeling quite uncomfortable. 

      After knowing the truth of why Jeongguk did what he did, Taehyung wasn't sure how to act anymore. He couldn't be mean without his consciousness beating himself up because he knew. But, being suddenly nice was awkward too. He often was so indecisive that he opted the easy way out: avoidance. Anyway, they were not at all close to begin with. Jeongguk wouldn't notice, or so he thought. 

"Jimin hasn't told you the real reason you're here, has he?" Jeongguk asked, and Taehyung's head shot up. 

Jimin had another ulterior motive besides making him dance until he drop? 

"Real reason?" he squeaked out, voice cracking due to momentary disuse. 

"Thought so," Jeongguk mumbled to himself before clearing his throat, "well, uh, be my dance partner?" 

"WHAT?" 

*

*

*

     Jeongguk didn't really know why he agreed to Jimin's idea. He didn't even know Taehyung's skills well enough to work with him. Jeongguk didn't like unpredictability, especially when it came to his work. He needed to be precise, and having Taehyung as his partner was against his ethics. His original first choice was Minghao, as the Chinese transfer student was an amazing dancer with b-boying experience. Seokmin was a good dancer, even if he has a preference of girl group songs, so he was Jeongguk's second choice. But both were taken by the YugBam couple. 

     Of course, Mingyu was never an option. Jeongguk knew his brother enough to know that he was possessive as hell. Mingyu had been kind enough to offer his service when he hung out at their house before. He had been very eager too (like the giant puppy he was) but one icy look from Wonwoo told everything to Jeongguk. Wonwoo is frightening when he wants to be, and Jeongguk wasn't willing to risk his life facing his brother's wrath. 

     Girls were not even in consideration. Jeongguk might have fangirls of his own, and acted all arrogant but frankly said, he is afraid of them. He had seen what his own fangirls were capable of doing. Well, not all girls were like that but he knew a fair share of them that could change from innocent to the devil in nanoseconds. And he couldn't keep up with their moods. It would be a downside if it bothers their practicing. Girls were mostly unpredictable, and Jeon Jeongguk didn't like unpredictability. 

So, with Jimin's offer, Jeongguk took it up because one: he was out of time and two: at least it was not a girl. 

     With Kim Taehyung currently staring at him like he had grown another eye on his forehead, he wasn't so sure about his decision anymore. The energetic beat of Jimin's dance music and the screeches of his and Wheein's shoes against the floor seemed distant as he waited for an answer from Taehyung. It didn't seem like he was getting one soon, nor did he think that Taehyung took him seriously because a minute later, he was doubling over in laughter. He stopped when Jeongguk sighed though. Jeongguk guessed he must have looked really distressed because Taehyung's eyes widened and his jaw dropped. 

"No way," the older said, coming out in a choked whisper as his eyes quickly darted to his best friend. 

Jimin caught his eye and smirked. 

"It was Jimin's idea. He said you owe him something and making you dance was too easy," Jeongguk explained, "and I'm pretty much desperate for a partner so yeah," 

      It was hard for him to admit the last sentence, but he needed Taehyung to know that he wasn't the only losing one. He knew Taehyung was not going to make this easy if this was a punishment of some sort to him. It was the truth anyway, he was desperate. Jimin assured him that Taehyung's skills were adequate, would be better if he ever practiced. Jimin wouldn't lie to him, Jeongguk trusted that. So, if Jimin said he's good, then he probably was. 

"Are you serious?" Taehyung asked, his voice sounding higher than normal.

"Yes," Jeongguk answered firmly, before deciding to add as an afterthought, "please," 

     Taehyung was grimacing, his expressions showing so m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter