Jung Hoseok?

Malfunctions (The Red Thread of Fate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

     Jeongguk ended the phone call with a sigh. He had excused himself to the hallway after his phone started ringing. As he turned, he saw Jimin standing quietly at the doorway of the kitchen. He had his gaze lowered, his hand fiddling with the edge of his t-shirt, a habit whenever he felt guilty, sad or nervous. Evidently, from the tears running quietly down his cheeks, it was the second option. He must have heard the phone call. Slowly, he reached for his cousin's arm and led them to where he knew was Jimin's room. They had nameplates on the door for a reason. 

 

     He closed the door after them, locking them for safe measure. Jimin hated crying in front of people, a trait he had learned after sixteen years of knowing him. He sat on the chair at the study table while Jimin made himself comfortable on the bed. He felt guilty for not telling his cousin earlier. It was not like he didn't know. Still, he knew he would get this reaction and as much as Jeongguk teased Jimin, he still cared about the older just as much as the older cared about him. 

 

"Minnie.. I'm sorry," he sighed, using the familiar childhood nickname, making Jimin crack a smile. 

 

"...Gukkie. How long?" he asked, voice a bit raspy from tears. 

 

"I just knew about it the day before yesterday. They were in a long distance relationship," Jeongguk told the truth, relieved when Jimin nodded. 

 

"It's not your fault. I guess I just like him too much," Jimin said, almost whisper-like, his last sentence ending like a question instead of a statement. 

 

"That's not your fault, either. Yoongi-hyung is admirable. I see why you like him," he reassured him, sure of his words. 

 

"Gukkie, can I ask you a question?" Jimin reverted the topic, but honestly, Jeongguk didn't mind. He hummed his approval. 

 

"Why did you tell Tae to give up on me?" he asked, making the younger bit his lip, a bit hesitant. 

 

"At first... I just wanted to make sure he was right for you. He didn't seem like your type, in the way you would want in a boyfriend. He said he didn't want to leave you, so I left it at that," he paused, rubbing his neck, feeling a little sheepish as Jimin chuckled. 

 

"Then, I started to realise that even if you had this massive crush on Yoongi, you probably didn't want to break Taehyung's heart. I knew I made him mad, but I felt that he shouldn't be in a relationship where he is the only one giving. So, I put it upon myself to ask him to end things with you. I was kind of forceful, but I felt that I had to do it. When you said that you were nothing more than platonic besties, I felt as if I was misled so I kind of got angry that I had made a fool of myself. I guess I took it out on Taehyung a bit," he confessed, realeasing a deep sigh at finally admitting his part of the ordeal. 

 

"Aww, I knew you were nice! And Tae is too, he was just trying to protect me too," Jimin smiled, "You guys are the best!" 

 

     Jeongguk returned the smile, feeling a bit lighter because Jimin understood. He always did. To be honest, Jimin was an amazing friend, cousin. Jeongguk and Taehyung were lucky to have him. Seeing the elder yawn, he was quick to tell him to have a good rest. Other days, he would have at least gave one jab at the elder's height or something but not that night. He knew despite the smile, Jimin was still hurt, and he was thankful for his understanding as well. Just for that night. 

 

     He went out of the room, straight to the living room but retreated when he saw there was a serious exchange of conversation between Namjoon and Seokjin. He sat on the stairs, taking time to ponder over a few things. Yoongi had called him to tell him his good news. Apparently, his boyfriend from Gwangju is moving to their school, and was going to stay with him. Jeongguk felt happy for him, but he couldn't help feeling bad for his cousin. 

 

Yoongi's boyfriend, Jung Hoseok. 

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

Rules 

1. No fighting! If we fight, it will happen again. 

2. Quick to make up, sincerely. No sincerity, no distance. 

3. Secrecy. This matter will remain in this circle only. 

     Jeongguk chuckled as he read the rules written on the piece of paper, left on the table for him to see. Apparently, listing down the rules took a lot out of the older. He was fast asleep on the bed, snoring softly. Jeongguk put the list back on the table, as he sat on the edge of the bed. Their predicament was simple, the red thread would malfunction every time they fight, or try to leave each other without clearing things up. It was a hassle, but there was nothing about a permanent cure, as it was mythical and rare. 

 

     He looked around the room, the soft green hue making him feel calm. Taehyung was definitely a family guy. There was a formal family portrait displayed on the board just above his study table, and next to it is a contrasting family photo of him, his parents and Seokjin all laughing together. There was a photo of him giving Jimin a piggyback ride under it, both of them with wide grins on their faces. There were also multiple sticky notes on the board such as encouraging messages from his friends and family, reminders of homework, random quotes and song lyrics. 

 

     On top of the board, 'MY MOTIVATION' was spelled out with wooden alphabets. Somehow, Jeongguk wasn't surprised. It was an easy guess that Taehyung was deeply loved by his family. Seokjin was a great example of that. He babied Taehyung so much. And even with the protests, he knew Taehyung actually enjoyed it, having someone cater to him. 

 

     Feeling tired himself, Jeongguk lied on the bed as far away as he could from Taehyung. He just wanted to lie down for a bit then maybe he could ask Seokjin for some blankets and spend the night on the couch. There was no use going home since he already told his mother he was staying over. They had probably locked the door by now, and he didn't want to wake them up just to answer the door for him. But apparently, fate had other plans for him as his eyes closed on their own accord. 

 

     As Jeongguk fell into deep slumber, Taehyung got up from his position on the bed. He ran a hand through his hair as he heaved a deep sigh. He moved closer to Jeongguk and silently stared at his sleeping face. The conversation he heard made him guilty but he had too high of an ego to admit to that, at least not directly. 

 

"You're a nice person, Jeongguk. I'm sorry," he whispered, as he teared his eyes away from the boy sleeping on his bed. 

 

     He took a pillow and went out of the room. He decided to spend the night in Jimin's room. 

 

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

     The next few days, Jeongguk could feel that something was definitely wrong. Not that he was complaining, but he could feel that Taehyung was avoiding him on purpose. And even if they did meet, he would just be blatantly ignored. There was always distance between them. He also stopped coming to their practice room so frequently, only stopping to spe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter