Ties and Relations

Malfunctions (The Red Thread of Fate)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


     Taehyung and Jeongguk sat in an awkward silence as they waited for someone, anyone to come home. After they realised that they were literally stuck with each other, for God knows until when, they also realised they couldn't go to their separate classes. So, after lots of arguing and bickering, they finally settled on skipping in Taehyung's house because it's nearer and Jeongguk realised he really didn't want to be seen by his mother or brother bringing someone home. 

        The television was showing an action movie that none of the two were paying attention to. They were too immersed in their own thoughts. They sat on opposite ends of the sofa, their bodies slightly turned towards each other so that the red thread wouldn't tug at their fingers. Taehyung was sitting with his knees to his chest, eyes staring way past the television screen. He didn't want to spend every living moment of his life with Jeongguk, he didn't like him! The thought brought tears to his eyes and he bit his lips to suppress them. 

     Meanwhile, Jeongguk took the time to really look at Taehyung. He really wasn't bad looking, okay, definitely above average, perhaps even absolutely gorgeous but Jeongguk wasn't about to admit that, even to himself. He had soft looking brown hair that falls perfectly above his eyes and his skin had little to no blemish. He had bright, feline eyes which were partially concealed by his glasses which miraculously made him much cuter. Jeongguk also noticed his apparent liking towards lsrge sweaters that engulfed him and make him appear adorable with his sweater paws. 

All in all, he could see why he was the school sweetheart. 

     He was too busy entertaining his thoughts when Taehyung suddenly raised his head and looked ay him straight in the eye. Jeongguk managed to swallow the surprised gasp threatening to come out at the last minute. Taehyung's eyes were glassy as they met Jeongguk's. The younger one frowned.

"Are you.. are you crying?" he asked incredulously, feeling a bout of panic stir in him. 

     He could deal with anger any day but not with tears. Taehyung didn't answer, just tightening the hold he had on his knees as he broke the eye contact. He didn't answer not because he didn't want to, but he really thought he would burst into tears if he open his mouth at that time so he kept quiet. Jeongguk was annoyed by the lack of response and just scoffed slightly. 

"How childish," he let the comment hang in the air as Taehyung turned to him sharply. 

      He glared at the younger boy, still keeping his mouth tightly sealed. Tears of anger mixed with his tears of frustration as they flowed down his cheeks. Jeongguk felt the pang of guilt hitting him but he didn't let his expression betray him. Taehyung wiped his tears with the sleeve of his sweater, trying to calm down to actually be able to talk. He hated himself for being such a crybaby. 

     Just as he was about to open his mouth, they heard the sound of keys jingling. Alarms started ringing in Taehyung's head. He glanced at the clock, it was quite early but Seokjin should be the one behind that door, but then, who knows what Seokjin might do when he saw his baby brother crying, with a stranger beside him? Taehyung had been witness to some incidents and it was not even a bit enjoyable. 

"Let's go, go!" he urged, voice raspy as he tugged on Jeongguk's wrist. 

"Why?" Jeongguk simply countered, ignorant to the older's haste. 

     Taehyung tutted at the younger's stubborn behaviour. As much as he hated Jeongguk, he still didn't deserve a beating because of misunderstandings. He stood up abruptly, and kept on tugging. The door creaked open as Jeongguk retorted with a tug of his own, causing Taehyung to fall unceremoniously across his lap. The older hissed angrily, grabbing a cushion and hitting Jeongguk's head who let an exaggerated cry of pain. Jeongguk was about to grab another cushion when they heard the clicking sound of a camera. 

     Both of them turned their attention to the sound. Seokjin stood there in his pink sweater and ripped jeans, his bag hanging off one shoulder, with a fond smile on his face as he cooed at the polaroid in his hand. Jeongguk dropped the cushion in his hand, and gave Taehyung an incredulous look. He momentarily wondered if everyone around the elder boy was odd like him. Even Jimin was getting weird in his own way. 

      Taehyung, meanwhile, was gaping at his brother in shock. He didn't expect this kind of reaction! He quickly scrambled off the sofa, trying to get to his older brother and get rid of whatever picture he had taken. Obviously, he had forgotten why they were waiting there for an hour in the first place because the next thing you know, he crashed onto the floor, the tug at his pinky sharp and painful. 

"Taehyung! Baby, are you okay?" he quickly nodded his head, feeling his cheeks tint as he heard a mocking snort. 

"Idiot," Jeongguk smirked, as Taehyung pulled himself up before sitting back on the sofa. 

"Shut up, moron. Hyung, I'm okay," he said, as Seokjin rushed to check up on him. 

"You really are a clumsy baby, aren't you?" Seokjin teased, causing him to flush more from humiliation as Jeongguk laughed beside him. 

"Hyung! It's not that, well... there's a problem," Taehyung shrinked into the sofa, half-sulking. 

"I know. Jimin called me crying, saying that you were missing," the eldest of the three raised an eyebrow as his brother gave a guilty smile. 

"How typical of him," Jeongguk commented, and the spotlight was suddenly on him. 

"You must be the infamous Jeon Jeongguk. I'm Kim Seokjin, Tae's older brother, also his and Jimin's current guardian. You can call me Jin-hyung," Seokjin introduced himself. 

"I'm Jeon Jeongguk, as you already know. I'm in the dance team with Jimin and apparently, Taehyung's soulmate," Jeongguk gave a small smile, glancing at Taehyung at his last sentence. 

"Soulmate?" Seokjin's tone raised with interest as he glanced at his baby brother who was trying to blend in with the sofa. 

"And we're stuck together," Taehyung mumbles irritably, not enjoying the attention. 

"Give him the spectacles so he could see, idiot," his words were met with a glare but Jeongguk wasn't fazed. 
     As he reached to take off the glasses because Taehyung wouldn't budge, he heard another sound of a camera shutter. Seokjin hummed to himself as he held another polaroid. He caught Jeongguk's eye and smirked, which somehow shook the maknae to the bone. He handed the spectacles to the eldest cautiously, wary of the bright smile he was given. 

This hyung is scary, he concluded. 

*

*

*

     Jimin came home half an hour later, looking like he had his soul out of his body. It is one thing to sit through hours of school, but another to sit through hours of school without your best friend. He was welcomed by Seokjin who was elegantly sipping tea with his pinky finger straight. There were loud voices upstairs, (and Jimin remembered that the only other person living here is Taehyung so who the hell?), but Seokjin didn't seem bothered. 

     The hyung told him to seat down and poured him a cup of tea. Jimin was baffled, but he accepted it anyway. Then, Seokjin's eyes changed into a more business-like mode. He took out a small envelope out of thin air, putting it gingerly on the table. He slowly opened it, as if keeping his audience on edge (or, in this case, Jimin). He took out a few polaroid shots, laying them out one by one on the table. 

     Jimin's eyes widened as he inspected all of them closely. He looked at Seokjin with a look of acknowledgement. Seokjin nodded, as they both clasped their hands together and screamed loudly before laughing. 

"Oh my God, hyung. They are so CUTE! They belong together, I told you!" Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter