Silk Dreams

Every Cloud

Seoul 10 years ago

 

“Are you sure you are going to keep practicing?” A worried Kai asked his friend Sehun. The clock mark was two thirty in the morning and the last rehearsal before debut was that same day at eight.

 

“Yes, two times more and I’ll be done” Sehun answered wiping off the sweat of his forehead. “Go ahead, you need to rest” Sehun said moving his head at the door’s direction. Kai looked at him worried. “Go!  You already master the steps so go” Sehun said again. Kai took his bag and walked away. Sehun closed his eyes for a moment and breathe in deep. He was the only member practicing. He knew he had to try harder than the others. In Sehun’s mind it was still unclear why he had been chosen to debut so early. He was nothing special after all. He wasn’t the best looking, the best dancer nor the best Singer, and yet he had been chosen to be part of a group of boys under SM sign. He was grateful, but unsure, so he decided to use the one thing he knew no one can beat him on, his strong will. He practiced harder than no one else, he would stay until his nose bleed proving the amount of effort he had put into each assignment he was given. Dancing was not the exception. He was the worst dancer when he entered the company but he practiced so hard he was now the second dancer after Kai, but he wasn’t satisfied. “If I am not singing, at least I will be the best dancer” He kept repeating himself over and over. When he finally was satisfied with his performance he shut down the recording and went to the back of the room to get his bag when the door suddenly opened.

 

A girl entered the room and threw away a CD as she started crying. She stood for a minute just looking at the CD letting the tears flow until she finally took it from the floor and put it on the recording Sehun had previously used. As the first song started, she finally let herself cry out loud. The tears were unstoppable and each was louder each time. She started singing the song along.

 

My Love it kills me slowly,

Slowly I could die

 

Her voice was so beautiful and she was singing with great feelings that Sehun was impressed with her ability. That was how Sehun met Yoona. He could feel the pain through her singing and each tear that came from her eyes.

 

Everyone in SM knew Yoona for two reasons, the first one her incredibly goddess like beauty and the second one her broken heart.

 

Yoona was a girl born in a small city outside Seoul. Her mother was said to be from a rich family that could not raise the kid. Yoona was discovered accidentally when the staff from SM traveled outside Seoul to film a commercial and saw her selling fish. They brought her at the young age of twelve and taught her singing, dancing and modeling. Yoona was an exceptional talented student. She was the Prodigy during her trainee days. One of the youngest producers, Leeteuk took special care for her since her arrival. Yoona was not the typical teenager. She never complained about practicing for over ten hours because she was willing to succeed. At a Young age she pushed herself for more and more. Leeteuk saw her strong will but also the great damage she was doing to her body, so he started looking after her. Yoona fell in love at first sight. Of course she was fourteen and Leeteuk was ten years older, but he was the only one that had shown concern so she couldn’t help but to like him. Leeteuk soon started craving success after success.  Especially when he started writing songs for the popular group of the moment Shinee.

 

One day Yoona asked him to teach her to write songs, two months later, Yoona was writing so easily and beautiful Leeteuk told her she was a natural when it came to composing. She then decided she didn’t wanted to debut under a girl group. Leeteuk supported her like a father would and believed in her talent so hard he spoke with the president of the company himself to let Yoona get more training and debut solo.  Her wish came true and at the age of sixteen, only four years after training Yona made her debut in a drama that achieve the best ratings of the year. That made her the star of her moment. Everyone in the streets knew the name “Im Yoona”, every Little girl wanted to posses her beauty and grace, so SM took advantage of her huge popularity and released a self composed song that made Yoona win the title “Angel of the Nation”. At seventeen Yoona released her first album, followed by a drama where she portrayed the lead. No one ever saw another artist so full of elegance and sympathy like Im Yoona. People could hardly found something to hate in such a perfect creature, everyone loved Yoona and she continued to be loved at the age of eighteen, when released her second album and wrote songs for other idols. Yoona was a Golden child, and when other idols confessed her feelings Yoona would reject every single one of them, in her heart Leeteuk had made such a strong impact she could not forget over the years. He stood by her side for the following years as a teacher, and then as a friend, but that was not enough, Yoona wanted more. Her only hope relied on the fact Leeteuk didn’t had a girlfriend. He was a workaholic, so when Yoona turned nieteen, the legal age in Korea, she finally confessed her feelings for him. HE tried hard not  to like her, but the Little girl her took care of was now a beautiful woman, with an incredible future and undeniable talent, so he accepted Yoona’s heart.

 

Everyone in SM family saw the announcement of the couple coming, so they were rather surprised when Leeteuk kept treating Yoona in the exact same way he had done over the years. There was a lack of display of romance. They always thought Leeteuk was afraid Yoona was so Young that he avoided physical contact in public, but he was always like that, even when Yoona begged him to have their first kiss, after six months of dating. Leeteuk promised he would do it once he could talk to her father and ask for permission. Yoona smiled widely, she was in love of every aspect of Leeteuk’s personality.

 

After a year of dating, when Yoona turned twenty, she was finally able to go back to that small city where she was found, the place that saw her as a child, and also the place where her father lived. Leeteuk went with her, also excited to finally be able to talk to Yoona’s father and give her the anticipated kiss she wanted from him. When they arrived a good looking old man was already waiting, and behind him a beautidul girl, as tall as Yoona with black straight hair was standing. She was Kwon Yuri, Yoona’s best friend. Yuri and Yoona were two years apart, and the only reason they met was because Yuri’s was two years behind in school because her mother never had enought money to send her there. Yuri and Yoona were known as twins, they both were the most beautiful students, the most intelligent but also the most talented. It was Yuri who first taught Yoona how to dance while Yoona helped her with her studies. They were always neck to neck but Yuri believed Yoona was born with such a star she could never have and that was the reason Yoona was slightly better at school, then slightly better and dancing and when Yoona was chosen to travel to Seoul to train in an agency Yuri lost it. Year after year after Yoona’s first drama Yuri saw her best friend’s succed going up and up and hated her own luck. She wrote hundreds of letters to her friend, asking for an opportunity to take her to Seoul, so when Yoona came back, the first thing she did was to take Yuri with her. After two days in which Leeteuk spent all his time with Yoona’s father while Yoona and Yuri catch up with each other, three people came back to Korea. When they arrived at the dormitory and Leeteuk placed Yuri’s suitcases in Yoona’s dorm he thanked her for being Yoona’s friend. When Yoona came out of the bathroom, Yuri excused herself and went into her new room while Yoona accompanied Leeteuk to his car. When they arrived to the red Ferrari Leeteuk turned around and took Yoona’s head in his hands. “Your father gave us his blessing and just as I promised, that was all I needed” He said giving Yoona a deep kiss. Yoona knew right at that moment that she was going to marry that man; she was going to have three kids and live happily ever after with him, but not only Yoona, everybody thought they were made for each other. Leeteuk even helped Yoona when she asked him to teach Yuri to compose and to sing. Yoona herself spoke in behalf of her best friend gaining two appearances on dramas until SM decided to sign Kwon Yuri, promising to release a mini album in seven months and giving Leeteuk the order to write twelve songs to choose from. Yoona, Letteuk and Yuri celebrated that day like they had won the lottery. Yoona never imagined the joy she felt that day, being with her best friend and the man she loved was going to be crushed by the betrayal of two of the people she loved the most.

 

A month before Yoona’s 21st birthday, while she was getting her make up for a talent show she was a judge, she Heard by accident a stilyst talking to her friend. “I swear I saw them. They were about to kiss. Do you think it’s possible he is cheating on Yoona? I mean, she is a sweetheart, she is the best girl in this company, I don’t think he would” Yoona started to breathe heavily, she took out her phone and sent a message to her boyfriend, his reply was as lovely as always so Yoona refused to even think about the possibility of him cheating on her, after all she had learn in the entertainment business people made money out of lies. Still, as soon as she ended recording she went straight to the recording salon, where Leeteuk and Yuri where finishing the mini album that SM decided to released the day of Yoona’s birthday, Yuri even joked it was going to be a gift for her best friend. Yoona opened the door carefully afraid of interrupting Yuri’s singing, instead she found Yuri sitting in Leeteuk’s lap kissing him. Yoona dropped the basket of dinner she had bought. Leeteuk immediately stood up and tried to say something but Yuri took his arm and spoke first.

 

“I’m sorry Yoona…” but Yoona didn’t hear Yuri, instead, she walked towards Leeteuk and hugged him really hard.

 

“Are you sure about this? If you leave me I will never go back to you” Yoona said, feeling pain in each word. Leeteuk hugged Yoona really hard, he didn’t need to answer, Yoona already knew what he was going to say, they shared a special bond after being together for almost nine years. Yoona, still hugging him, whipped her tears, then she broke the hug and slapped him in the face, Leeteuk freeze. He didn’t move nor said anything. Yoona turned around and saw Yuri, and then she smiled at her sadly. “I sincerely hope you two are happy. Despite what you’ve done to me, I still think you are good people” Yoona turned around and never looked back. She went to study to LA modeling. There, she became a true star. One day in one of her classes a photographer came and saw her, he was overwhelmed of her beauty and asked her for a shoot. SM allowed her and even let her stay with all the profits. The company was worried Yoona might suffer depression after everyone found out Letteuk was now the official boyfriend of the rocky actress and Yoona’s best friend, Yuri. Yoona’s photos were used for a campaign to save children in Africa, she didn’t take any profit but decided to donate it instead. Everyone started talking about her good heart and how she was already known as the “Angel of the Nation” back in Korea, everyone thought she was an angel for real, so at the age of 21 Yoona was a global star. She stick with modeling, since that was what she was looking to do in LA, she went to tons of interviews to try to create conscience about children starving around the world and the more she appeared on TV the more followers she gained. Two years later she started composing songs for unknown artists she had heard on her visits to small cafes and the radio. With each song she wrote her abilities improved more and more and soon she could write for important artists of the time, generating important profits that were, once again, given to different charity programs, and yet Yoona became the richest idol in Korea, but even with all the fame and success she had, whenever Yoona came home she would cry in silence feeling lonely and betrayed. She started to believe she was only lucky in her professional life but not in her relationships, so Yoona made the decision to pursue career goals and leave relationships behind, if she ever found a friend that was willing to understand how important her career was, she would accept him, but if not she would no suffer anymore, for anyone.

 

At the age of 25 Yoona returned to Korea, even bigger than before. In the airport tons of fans where waiting for her. Yoona came back for a year to release a comeback album before going to China, where she also accomplished great success. She spent the next three years traveling back and forth between LA, China and Korea, until she turned 28, when she finally decided to drop every appearance in other country to spend more time with her father but also to live a more sedentary life. She made that decision after meeting Donghae.

 

Donghae was the son and heir of SM Entertainment. He was a spoiled child who loved traveling around the world. Although narcissistic and with bad sense of humor, Dongahe was an educated person. He treated well everyone around him. He and Yoona met by chance, both were taking Chinese lessons. Dongahe was in China studying the market, he knew Yoona by name but he had never seen her in real life. When he met her, Donghae felt a small but clear hit on his chest. A month before, a gipsy had read his hand and had told him “Soon, you’ll meet a beautiful woman, she is going to make this hurt so much” pointing at his chest. Donghae laughed and ignored what the woman with intense eyes had predicted. However, Yoona didn’t recognized Donghae. She had never seen him before, only heard talks about him. Yoona and Donghae were the same age, so they ended up in the same group. Donghae made anything possible to take a seat next to the beautiful woman who made his chest painful, but just like him, two other men wanted so bad a seat next to he, so he ended up changing his strategy and sat next to the door, ready to intercept Yoona at the end of the class. When they exchanged names Yoona realized immediately he was the son of his teacher and head of her company, but still Yoona treated Donghae as any other man, that was the real reason why he fell for her. They were always together. In Donghae Yoona found the friend she desperately needed. They went for coffee, to dance, to the movies. Sometimes Donghae stayed in Yoona’s house watching movies until late, and yet he knew Yoona didn’t love him. She was still suffering for a love not corresponded. By that time, the story of her not returned love was well known by everyone in the company. The staff talked about Yoona’s fear to go back to Korea and face her best friend dating her first love. When Donghae talked about this perception to Yoona, she immediately took the decision to come back to Korea, but the company decided if she was turning back, she needed to do it big, so they planned a comeback with a full album ready to be release a week after her return to her country. Dozens of young producers wanted to work on that album; they cold feel the success on everything that had Yoona’s name on it. SM however, gave the project to Leeteuk, he had not produce a success since Yoona’s leave and SM saw the album as his last chance to revive his career. Leetek traveled to China and stood with Yoona two months, writing songs. Yuri took it pretty bad, but she was busy filming a drama, so she had to accept the fact Yoona and Leeteuk were going to meet and practically live togheter for two months. Dongae offered to stay with Yoona during the process. He saw Yoona tremble hearing Leeteuk’s steps coming closer to the recording room. She sighed deeply right before the door opened. When Yoona saw Leeteuk she smiled at him, he looked at her like a big brother would look her baby sister and they hugged immediately. “I was afraid you were going to slap me again” Leeteuk said smiling. “You deserved it that time” Yoona answered having fun. They never talked about the past again for the two months they were working together; it was like the old times. Yoona was exciting writing meaningful songs over and over showcasing her talent and beauty with each lyric. The three were a true team. Even tough Donghae was jealous at the begging he understood Yoona’s love for Leeteuk, he was just a charming person. That was the main reason SM kept him even after multiple failures. They knew if Leeteuk was out, many people were going to follow them. The only thing that interrupted their harmony was Yuri’s surprise visit one day before their return to Korea. As soon as Donghae saw her, he felt a strange vibe.  Suddenly he became uncomfortable, it was the total opposite he felt whenever he was close to Yoona. Donghae had heard Yuri’s name on Yoona’s failed love story. He took Yoona’s side even before he knew her, and after being with Yoona and Leeteuk for two months he was sure Yuri was the responsible for Yoona’s unhappiness the last years. Yuri on the other hand had no idea who Donghae was. The first time she saw him she was curious to know where that handsome man had come from. He was like a prince, handsome, well educated, with a beautiful voice and ability to choose his words, so when Leeteuk told him he was the son of the chairman Yuri almost cried out of anger. “He is the son of the chairman. His name is Donghae, he’s been with Yoona since she arrived to China. I think he is in love with her. They make a nice couple right love?” Were Leeteuk’s exact words. Yuri felt her head was about to explode. What had done Yoona in her past life to be so blessed? That afternoon Yuri cried in the bathroom like a child. She hated Yoona so much. Yuri recognized having Leeteuk was the only victory she had had over her friend, but the revenge of Yoona was much greater since she had now the heir of the whole company. At that moment, feeling absolutely jealous Yuri decided no matter what, Donghae was going to be hers, and she would become the owner of SM. Yuri cleaned her tears and went to dinner. She was extra kind to Yoona, who showed no sign of hate towards her. Actually Yoona didn’t show any kind of feeling. Unlike her reaction to Leeteuk, like long time no see friends, Yoona felt Yuri was a stranger, something had changer about her, she was now cold and angry for some reason, so Yoona didn’t even tried to pretend they were like the old times, and continued her meal laughing at Donghae jokes who was there to please Yoona. In a moment of complete coincidence Leeteuk and Donghae left Yuri and Yoona alone in the table. Yuri looked at Yoona smiling. “I’m going to take him. I’m going to take Donghae, so you can take Leeteuk back” Yoona was eating her pasta but left the fork aside, not sure of what Yuri was talking about. “You thought you had won over me just because you met the son of the chairman? No, you are wrong. I’m going to be the owner of SM, and when that happens, the first person I am going to fire is you” Yuri said, not even ashamed. Yoona felt a strange sensation, she couldn’t tell exactly the feeling. Then she understood it. The only reason Yuri was with Leeteuk was because Yoona loved him. That night her heart broke, Yoona felt tears in her eyes before asking, “What happened to you? You are such a mean person…You are never going to be happy, and it’s me who is going to make sure that happens, I’ll never you get what you want” Leeteuk heard what Yoona said and felt betrayed. Yuri acted so innocent and hurt by Yoona’s words that Leeteuk demanded an apology. Right at that moment Donghae returned and took Yoona’s side. The meal ended in a second in which Leeteuk expressed his disappointment at Yoona. “I thought we could be friends again, I was wrong. Fame has changed you” He said, denying with disapproval. Yoona replied with a broken voice “Take care of yourself” That night Yoona traveled back to Korea, she couldn’t stand being in China one more time. Donghae went with her, like the good friend he was. When they landed and Donghae asked her where she wanted to go Yoona answered SM building. When they arrived Yoona went immediately to the recording room and took an old CD she had recorded before, then she wan to the first room she saw and started to sing a sing she had wrote when she discovered Yuri and Leeteuk kissing:

 

My Love it kills me slowly,

Slowly I could die

 

She could not finish, she was crying really hard, fighting with herself to gain composture again. Yoona felt she was dying for real this time. Yoona was barely able to breathe normally again when a young boy with rainbow hair came out of nowhere, more surprised than curious and asked her “Would you be my singing coach?”