Polaris - Chapter 1

Polaris: The North Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

It was a Thursday when I first met you, Jung Jaehyun. Of all days, Thursday, the day I hate the most. Of all days in a week, it was a Thursday when Mrs. Hwang decided that I should meet you.

The day started normal and easy. I spent the half of it asleep with my drool all over my desk (which no one dared to use, by the way). The half of that Thursday was spent gazing out the window, watching the sunset and waiting for the dusk, then the nightfall. I was waiting when the bell rang and Mrs. Hwang stopped my endless stare contest with one of the stars above.

I was fifteen, a little too young to realize that education is important. Too young to be regretting that I should have listened to math class because now, I don’t know how to divide fractions and decimals. I cannot even completely recite the multiplication table.

“Let’s talk, Ms. Jung?” She asked while looking down at me with her pretentiously kind eyes. I grunted, a really loud one, to make sure that she heard it, and slumped to my seat even more. But I sat straight up anyway since what she just spoke wasn’t a request but more of a command.

She stomped away, clicking the small heels of her shoes while hand combing her black, short curls. She went to her table on the front of the room and I followed her. There, we waited until the room was cleared and no one could hear what she’ll say.

I actually don’t like this situation. You see, all of the teachers are always trying to talk to me after class, give me some counseling and life advice and act like they have been the best people on earth after doing that to me. These teachers think they are guidance counselors who can fix me. But they can’t. Because I don’t need fixing. Nothing is wrong with me.

“Sit, please.” She gestured the many chairs in front of us.

Annoyed, I pulled out a random chair and slouched on it with an extremely bored look portrayed in my face. Mrs. Hwang is my homeroom teacher and so far, the teacher I like the most. She is the only one who hasn’t give me a “counseling” yet. And now, here she is, ready to ruin my fondness of her.

“I don’t need an advice, for the nth time.” I groaned.

She chuckled in response, which is very different. Some teachers will either sigh or scratch their heads at this moment. “I know, Jaerin. I know. It’s just that, you’re flunking your subjects, especially English. And I think you’re doing it on purpose.”

I scoffed. “On purpose?”

“Yes. I won’t tell you how I knew you are good in English but I just want to ask you to stop doing this. You are good. How are you flunking my subject?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Mrs. Hwang.” I was tensed and I can feel the sweat streaming down my hairline. I wanted to escape this moment so bad, but I am glad I didn’t. Because the good news came.

“Okay, let’s say that you really don’t know what I am talking about and you’re not fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter