Old Wounds

Ataraxy (HIATUS)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter 10- Old Wounds

“I’m going to have a talk with him.” Mingyu huffed, scrolling through his contact list to find that one person. With no hesitation, he pressed the call button.

“Yes, it’s me Mingyu. I just called to ask at around what time would you be free?” Mingyu answered with a tinge of hostility evident in his tone. Wonwoo cringed upon hearing the way Mingyu phrased his sentence. It was so formal, as if talking to a stranger.

“We need to talk.” Mingyu made sure to enunciate every single word.

“What about? Really hyung? You’re asking me that?” Mingyu asked in disbelief. Hansol raised a brow upon seeing the way Mingyu acted. He turned around to face Wonwoo properly mouthing, ‘You said that he has gotten over you? Obviously not?’ Wonwoo gave Hansol a look which sent the younger chuckling away.

“Whatever. I’m not saying this over the phone. Just. Meet me at the dorm after you’re done with work.” Mingyu hung up, not even bothering to say ‘bye’.

“I’m fine! Really! Oh my god. Hansol was just exaggerating things!” Wonwoo let out with a loud sigh, as if he had been holding his breath the entire time Mingyu was on the phone.

“Thanks a lot Mingyu hyung. If you didn’t do that, I would have made damn sure that Jeonghan guy would end up with a broken nose.” Hansol said, smiling. It was creepy. How could he say something like that, while smiling?

“I still have lessons to attend so I’ll leave first…see you again Hansol! And you. Stop punching walls. And don’t skip lessons.” Mingyu gave Wonwoo a cold glare and a small smile to Hansol, leaving the infirmary.

“…the difference in attitudes…” Wonwoo commented when he was sure Mingyu was totally out of hearing distance.

“What’s wrong?” Hansol asked, entertained by Wonwoo’s reaction.

“Can’t you tell? He glares at me but smiles at you…” Wonwoo shook his head.

“Really? But it seems like he still likes you though…” Hansol teased.

“Stop it. Do you need evidence? I can show you the text message.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes. The two strolled out of the infirmary heading to the cafeteria for Wonwoo to grab something to eat because he was too angered previously. And that was when something came to Wonwoo’s mind. That kid probably didn’t eat too…he had just arrived when I stormed out of the cafeteria. And he left for a lesson immediately after cleaning my wound. Did he even eat?

 

To: Kim Mingyu

Yah. Did you even eat?

 

From: Kim Mingyu

Yeah…munching on a sandwich in lecture. Hopefully I don’t get caught or something.

 

To: Kim Mingyu

How is a sandwich even enough?!

Do you need anything else?

I can bring it to you.

 

From: Kim Mingyu

Nah…it’s fine.

Thanks for offering anyways.

 

“So…mind explaining why you were punching a wall Mr Jeon Wonwoo?” Hansol asked, seated in front of the older, munching on a burger.

“…can we not talk about this…? Please?” Wonwoo pouted, giving Hansol a puppy look.

“Nope. You do know that you look more like a foxy cat right?” Hansol laughed.

“Yah…this brat…” Wonwoo scoffed, taking a big bite out of his burger.

“Hello? Still waiting for the answer.” Hansol called, snapping his fingers in Wonwoo’s face.

“I-It’s…Jihoon. He keeps bringing up THAT old unfinished business…” Wonwoo sighed.

“Oh….” Hansol finally understood why Wonwoo had been avoiding. That one old unfinished business almost tore the gang apart back then.

 

 

[Flashback to 4 years ago…]

 

“Have you guys seen the new guy? I heard that he looked super fluffy and adorable.” Minghao asked, his Korean heavily accented.

“You mean yourself?” Jun asked, making the younger blush.

“Ayyyy…stop it hyung. He’s from your year though.” Minghao continued.

“Not really…haven’t heard of or seen a guy like that. Did he catch your attention Minghao? Is he your style?” Wonwoo teased, watching Jun’s expression drop. Wonwoo knew that Jun was sort of attracted to Minghao ever since they “saved” the younger from a bunch of bullies.

“Oh? Minghao-ah. You can’t do that though…that would be considered cheating.” Seungcheol added.

“Cheating? What’s that?” Minghao asked. His vocabulary was still a little limited after moving to Korea for barely a year.

“It means…errmm…making friends with another person when you already have Jun.” Seungcheol sniggered, hi-fiving Wonwoo. Wonwoo held Jun in a headlock and covered his mouth with his hand, not letting the other escape nor speak.

“Ahhh…but…wouldn’t that mean all of us are cheating on each other? Since we have friends from other classes too…” Minghao asked, his head drooping to one side. Seungcheol and Wonwoo started cackling, earning weird stares from passer-bys. Minghao was REALLY REALLY gullible.

“Then what kind of people are you attracted to?” Jun asked when he finally got out of Wonwoo’s headlock. Both Wonwoo and Seungcheol smirked, turning to give Jun a knowing look.

“I prefer guys who are…manlier? Like those who can protect me.” Minghao smiled.

“Ah…you mean someone who would come save your when it gets whooped? Someone like…Jun?” Wonwoo asked, an arm around Minghao’s shoulder.

“M-maybe?” Minghao blushed, pushing Wonwoo’s hand off his shoulder as he sprinted off towards the gates of Hansol’s middle school. Their gang always picks up the youngest after school together before heading to their “headquarters”, which is located in the backyard of Seungcheol’s house.

“Hyunggggggggg~” Hansol shouted, running towards his hyungs who were standing by the gates with their hands in their pockets.

The girls from Hansol’s middle school knew that everyday without fail during dismissal, a group of pretty suave and good looking boys from the nearby high school would drop by to pick him up. Maybe they weren’t THAT good looking, but something about high schoolers were fascinating to these middle schoolers. And so, there would always be at least one group of girls squealing, fangirling and watching them from a distance. At first, the boys were rather shy, but as time passed, they got used to it, even posing cooly by the gates to entertain the girls. None of them were interested in girls, only doing so for the mere fun and entertainment.

“So…what did you learn in school today Sol-ah?” Wonwoo asked, ruffling the younger’s hair.

“Stop it hyung!” Hansol whined, jumping as he tried to hit Wonwoo’s hand away. The poor boy had just reached puberty, not growing in terms of height yet. On the other hand, Wonwoo had hit his growth spurt after his first year in high school, height immensely increasing, now towering over the youngest.

“I learnt what you learnt in middle school. Quit acting like you’re much older than me when you graduated 2 years ago…” Hansol complained.

“Ohhhhhhh! Burn Jeon burn!” Seungcheol jeered from the side. The gang then made their way to the convenient store to grab snacks that they had ran out of.

“You guys do know that you have to pay me back right? I’m not paying for all these you jerks! Aish…” Seungcheol cursed when he saw the mountains of snacks placed at the counter. Being the oldest amongst his friends, he had the position of a leader, which meant cleaning up after their messes, and also paying for their share first. This always happened. The kids would run into the convenient store, grab everything they wanted and saw, throw it on the counter and run out, hiding from Seungcheol’s radar. They would only appear with wide grins when the older has finished paying. Somehow, they always knew when to appear. They would sheepishly take the bags of paid snacks, and happily storm their way to headquarters. Today was no different.

“Everyone owes me…15,000 won.” Seungcheol said, his ice cream as they strolled down the pathway.

“What?! I swear I didn’t even pick out that much !” Wonwoo’s eyes widened, looking through the bags he was holding.

“Yah! You guys didn’t even pay me the other time!” Seungcheol retorted, pointing a finger at Wonwoo and Hansol, who gave a sheepish grin in return.

“I should’ve gotten an ice cream too…” Jun groaned, watching Seungcheol and Minghao enjoy their ice creams under the scorching hot weather.

“You want some? We can share.” Minghao offered, holding out his half-finished ice cream cone.

“Oh. I’m sure he does. That’s all he daydreams about.” Wonwoo teased.

“Shut up Jeon. It’s fine Minghao. You can finish that.” Jun smiled at the younger.

“My dear Wonwoo~ Would you like some ice cream? We can share.” Seungcheol imitated Minghao’s tone. The entire gang cringed, not liking the way Seungcheol spoke. It was too much aegyo and it didn’t suit the oldest.

“Oh? Guys! That’s the new transfer student I was talking about!” Minghao called out, pointing to a kid getting dragged along by a group of guys.

“Huh…his friends…seem pretty rough?” Wonwoo said, not really su

Please log in to read the full chapter