Chapter XIII

Listen to you

 

 

Chaeyoung was sadly used to this, to lose someone she loved so much and so bad, but now, it so easy to let him go and face the fact her father won’t ever stop doing this. She still feels disappointed and sad, she sometimes cries until she ends up sleeping and there was nothing or nobody to assured her that everything will be ok and that the future holds something better for her; and even if she had someone to tell her that, she won’t believe it, because Jaehyun is one of a kind, Jaehyun is what she love the most, she wants him here, she wants to go back with him but… well… that won’t be possible in this life.

 

And it’s painful for her to accept what way her life has turned and how helpless she really is.

 

She was sited in the couch close to the window while watching TV, although she is not hearing a thing, she is so soulless, nothing can’t distract her; her mind is travelling in her memories with him and how they are slowly fading away.

 

“Chae?”

 

She turned around, it was an automatic reflex.

 

“Uncle just called” Bom said. “You guys are leaving tomorrow and he wants you to fix your stuff”

 

Silence. She turned around in the direction of the TV.

 

“Why you don’t tell him that you’ll stay?” Bom said but her cousin didn’t respond. “I mean, at least for a few days”

 

Chaeyoung shook her head. “No…” She whispered. “I think is time to go back and keep going with my life Bom”

 

Bom pouted, a sad expression was obvious on her face.

 

“I don’t want to run away anymore” She continued. “So… what the hell…”

 

Her cousin bites her lower lip to stop her from cry.

 

“But first can we go to the library?”

 

Bom frowned and walked over to her. “Why you want to go to the library now?”

 

“Here the books are less expensive than in South Korea so I really want to buy some before leaving”

 

She nodded. “But you know we will have to stay in the town. Travelling there is far and exhausting”

 

Chaeyoung let out a soft laugh, the only one since this whole nightmare begun. “I know, we can stay in one of those hostel in the town”

 

Bom shrugged. “I don’t know, we can stay in a friend’s house so we won’t spend too much”

 

“If she accepts me in, sure”

 

“Of course she will accept you in” Bom assured her as she rounded her neck with her arm. “Although you’ll have to sleep in the same bed with me”

 

“Bom, since when that’s a problem?”

 

The older laughed hard at that. “It’s not, I’m just warning you”

 

After they fix their clothes and their belongings to go, they said good bye to their grandma who would stay with a cousin of hers and they parted their way.

 

The town was indeed very far away, almost four to five hours from the complex they were, they agreed to spend all day in the library, took a dinner in one of the restaurants and then headed to Bom friend’s house that was ten minutes away from where they were, and at difference from where they are living, the transport is very accessible to her house.  Bom knew the owner of the store and was not that interested on the books, so she sat with the casher and the owner and started to chat lovely with them while Chaeyoung focused her attention only of the books around her.

 

This right here was her only distraction, her only way out to forget what is expecting her in South Korea, she for sure will have her friends having her back and supporting her, also loving her as much as she needed but also she knows she will see him and will have to deal with him being with someone else that is not her in the future… and that gives anxiety to her heart. Maybe staying here a while is good idea and that would give time to Jaehyun to just… marry and move to another country or forget her and things like that…argh… she really doesn’t know but it can give her time somehow; at the same time not facing it can make it way worse and she isn’t ready for that; so it’s better if she just faced and tries to move on with time.

 

She picked one silver boom that was standing out from the line of books in the shelf, she grabbed and started to read the description; the cover had something interesting; it was one of those covers that when you moved it around it changes, she was enchanted by this and lifted it in front of her to see the transformation, but something else caught her eyes; a blonde guy, dressed in long sleeve and long sweater was staring at one book at the end of the same shelf; he walked in the opposite direction and turned around to the other side.

 

“Jimin?” She whispered in a low tone but she just shook her head, thinking she was just watching things; maybe this situation is totally driving her crazy that she is starting to imagine her exes.

 

When she continue walking, she spotted another familiar figure, he was sited in one of the couches of the library; he was just drinking coffee, he had also a long white sweater and simple leather jeans. He had his hair brown and his forehead was showing.

 

“Jungkook?” She frowned at the sighting but… is she watching things or…? She can only see his profile, she can’t be sure if it’s really him.

 

She walked to where Bom was, willing to tell her what was going on and if she, somehow, could see the guys she was also seeing or if it was her pure imagination. She is going insane maybe; she will have to stay here if he sees another guy in the library that resembles one of her exes.

 

“Bom?”

 

“Yeah?” Bom said, paying her attention. “What’s up?”

 

Chaeyoung wanted to tell her but she thought Bom will think she is completely crazy; which she think is true anyway. She waved her hand and walked back to her shelf and stayed there, concentrating in the books until she smelled a familiar perfume… a perfume which made her heart go so wild that she could hear it crashing hard against her chest, so strong and so intense that she almost felt dizzy.

 

She started to look everywhere but didn’t saw anyone around, she walked to the other shelfs and found the two guys sited in the couch but this time they were facing her and there was a third guy in the center of them, he was smiling at her while she was just petrified.

 

Jaehyun stood up from the couch, wearing a turtle neck sweater and a coat on top of it, ripped jeans and boots. He was looking absolutely gorgeous but she just thinks is a mere imagination.

 

She started to breathe hard, so hard, like hyperventilating.  “You- you-” She couldn’t utter the right sentence.

 

He smiled at her. “I found you”

 

 

 

 

Mr. Park was fixing his little bag, preparing what he was going to take so he could pick up Chaeyoung to bring her back. Somehow he feels he won but also, very deep inside, he knows he did wrong but well… he never received the call from Jaehyun but it has been so many months that he hasn’t communicate or even send a message that he felt waiting for his call was not necessary anymore and he won’t let his daughter so far away from him any more time.

 

He was on the phone, talking to a partner about the short trip he was going to make and he should stay in charge of what it comes in the company while he was away.

 

When he finished, still on the phone, he closed the bag and went down the stairs.

 

“Hold on” He said to the other line. “Dara I’m going, I come back in two days with Chaeyoung ok?”

 

By that moment, the door sounded.

 

“I can get this, don’t worry!” He said.

 

He walked to the door and he stayed in silence.

 

“I call you back later” He said to the other line and let his arm fall to his side, although his phone still in his hand. “What is this?”

 

Jaehyun was standing right outside the house, hands inside his pockets and very relax and calm expression in his features. He smiled at him and bowed his head, not too much. “I won” Was the only thing he said as Chaeyoung peeked her head behind him to see her dad completely shock at this.

 

“Hi dad” She whispered shyly from Jaehyun’s back.

 

Mr. Park frowned so hard he almost break his face. “You and I need to talk” He said, pointing at Jaehyun.

 

He keeps smiling. “Sure”

 

Dara was right behind Mr. Park, shocked as well at the scene. She saw how Jaehyun stepped inside the house and how he was so sure and confident of himself that she felt his security crashing against her face and smelling like sweet roses to her; on the other side, watching Chaeyoung again after such a long time is so refreshing and amazing.

 

Both guys went upstairs, Jaehyun right behind Mr. Park.

 

Chaeyoung didn’t bother on following because she knew her dad won’t allowed her but she is sure that Jaehyun will handle the situation right and that her father has no way out now, he won and now he has to face the consequences which is FINALLY accept he was wrong and apologize to HER boyfriend and in some point to her as well for all the pain and psychological suffering she had.

 

Her eyes were glued to the way the two men took when Jaehyun turned around to see her and winked her eye to her, she automatically smiled, what a tease, she loves him; suddenly she felt Dara’s body hugging her tight and almost making her fall, by this point she lost sighting of the guys and she just focused on her.

 

“I missed you so much!” Dara said as she hugged her even harder. “Where were you?”

 

“Uh… I was in the Complex of Faeroe”

 

Her eyes widened open. “What?! So far away?! Boss went over the line”

 

Chaeyougn nodded. “I know… I just… I’m happy though”

 

Dara cupped her face. “I know you are!” She smiled. “I’m a witness of how much Jaehyun worked Chae”

 

She stayed in silence.

 

“He came here and asked for you, he also talked to your friends, to each of your exes” Dara started to explain. “Travelled around the world; I don’t know… that guys has done a lot”

 

She couldn’t avoid smiling. “I know…”

 

“I am dying to know what is happening up there”

 

 

 

 

The silence is unsettling in Mr. Park’s office. Jaehyun keeps a normal position and secure kind of aura but Mr. Park is so confused and full of anger towards this; he thought he was going to win again and now the reality has crashed into his face; he didn’t. He was rubbing his face up and down, pressing the bridge of his nose strongly while closing his eyes; he must be thinking what he should say.

 

But Jaehyun took the lead. “I know you’re surprise and upset” He started to say and Mr. Park looked up at him. “I don’t want to say nothing that will offend you or insult you in any way because at the end of the day I respect you; I also don’t want to say I win “the game” because I won’t refer to Chaeyoung as an object or as a trophy I won” A pause. “But I surely did accomplish everything with the rules you gave me, I know I took a little more than we expected but I had to use my own money and my own resources to accomplish it so I believe I deserve her… not as a price but as a woman; as my girlfriend again, as the person I want to spend my life with and also” Another great pause. “I don’t want you to apologize to me or anything, I only want you to apologize to her for everything you have done to here in these years; for each person that she lost because of this silly challenge” By the whole speech Jaehyun didn’t stop watching Mr. Park in his eyes. “That’s the only thing I ask for”

 

Mr. Park stayed in silence but suddenly started to nod. “I will apologize because that’s my duty” He started to say. “I know this whole thing was extreme but I did it for her in order for others to fight for her, to show her how much they care for her… I can’t say I am regretful because I ended up getting people who didn’t deserve her away from her in the right moment; but you worked hard, I can tell you did and as a man of word… I will let you be with my daughter” A pause as he straighten his body. “I’m still not sure about you and I hope that change with time”

 

Jaehyun breathed hard. “Nobody will be good enough for you sir, and you won’t be sure about anybody, but I can understand you”

 

Silence. “You won her because you listened to her and that for me is the most important thing” He started to stand up. “I still will go to another country to get my mind a bit free because I don’t like not being right”

 

Jaehyun stood up from the leather chair. “Sure”

 

He took his bag and breathed deeply again. “Stay as you want” And he went out of the office.

 

Mr. Park went down the stairs and stopped in the middle of the living room where Dara lowered her head and Chaeyoung stood up looking in his direction. There were no words for a while until Mr. Park walked to her and held her by her shoulders.

 

“I know I have been doing… things… you considered wrong and I apologize… for everything” He said, he looks like he was struggling to only admit he was wrong. “I know you didn’t deserve this and I also know I stepped over the line… all for you; but now I guess you have found the right guy, I-”

 

Chaeyoung smiled. “Dad... I know you, and I know you are having a hard time to say you’re sorry and to admit you’re wrong” She said and putted her hand in his chest. “But it’s ok… it’s over anyway”

 

Mr. Park nodded. “I’ll leave for a time just to think through things and… I’ll be back soon” He said as he walked back towards the door. “I love you Chaeyoung… despite of all I did”

 

She smiled. “Me too dad”

 

And that’s when he went out the door.

 

Chaeyoung stayed there in silence with Dara right behind her, she looked up at the first floor and saw Jaehyun standing on the stairs. She smiled.

 

“Do you guys want something to eat or you have a date?” Dara asked shyly at her back.

 

She gasped. “I have to shower and stuff I think”

 

“I can wait you know?” Jaehyun said arriving to the living room. “Your dad told me to ‘stay as long as I want’”

 

“Oh god, you’re going to come and live here??”

 

Dara and Jaehyun laughed hard at that.

 

“Well no…but thank you for let me know you want to”

 

Chaeyoung turned around and hugged him by his neck. “You know what I mean”

 

“You want Dara to do something for us or you want to go out?”

 

“I’m kind of tired, can we stay? Tomorrow we can go out”

 

“Deal”

 

Dara was smiling like a proud mother behind them. “I’ll cook something delicious then” She said, walking towards the kitchen.

 

 

 

 

The sunny day combines with the happiness and easiness they are feeling.

 

After all the BULL they literally live, they guess is time to just let that go and hope for a better future since now. Of course they know they are not perfect and of course they know that they can break up and separate any time but they are not thinking in that whatsoever, they are just enjoying themselves and the love they are feeling right now; after all the time they waste by being apart in a silly game they need to recover that time.

 

Even if they want to erase it, this little game actually taught them something very important; a relationship is not only love and kindness, is also trust, attention and to listen well, to show how much you love by listen to the person you want forever’s history, to understand, to hug, to embrace the other’s history and past.

 

Jaehyun understood that at the wrong way but it also show himself he really did paid attention to Chaeyoung in all the things she sometimes used to say to him; maybe he was acting normal and careless but he was truly paying attention; maybe he was reading some magazine, busy with some document or design but he was listen to her.

 

He saw Chaeyoung getting close to him, coming from the pool. She looks gorgeous in that bathing suit of one piece he once gave her to her. He putted the architecture magazine he was reading and took his glasses off.

 

“Why don’t you come with me?” Chaeyoung asked as she grabbed her towel. “The water is delicious” Then she sat.

 

Jaehyun hugged her by the waist from behind. “I’m good here, don’t worry” He leaned his head on her back and closed his eyes.

 

She smiled. “Why are you being so sweet lately?”

 

He shrugged without opening his eyes. “I missed you so much that I really don’t want to do anything else just to see you and hug you and hear you speak” He said. “I might sound annoying but is true”

 

She laughed. “I missed you too” She answered. “Hey! Last night I saw something interesting on the drawer”

 

Jaehyun opened his eyes wide and looked at her. “What?”

 

“A wedding invitation”

 

“Oh” He said, remembering where that came from. “It’s Jungkook’s wedding, he is inviting us”

 

“I know that” She said. “But… are you friends with him now?”

 

“Well, I went with them too look for you, wasn’t that an enough proof?”

 

Chaeyoung laughed hard again. “It’s funny because you told me once you would never meet any of my exes”

 

“That was before I lost you”

 

“That means, do I have to meet your exes if you get lost?”

 

“It’s possible”

 

“Ok, tell me about them” Chaeyoung faced him this time. “I want to hear”

 

“Well; one is Wendy, she’s from Canada, was a nice girl, nothing freaky about her but very jealous so I ended up boring about her constant fights” He looked at the ceiling, thinking. “The other one is Joy… she was very insecure of her and she always was asking me to tell her how much I like her and love her; she didn’t trusted on my feelings for her and I ended up getting tired” And then he pointed at her. “Then is you…” He smiled. “I can’t say anything bad about you but… you have such a difficult dad”

 

Chaeyoung laughed hard. “Oh my God…”

 

“It’s true!” He said while she is still laughing. “I used all my money to travel around and pay for hotels and go up and down and yada yada; I had to swallow my pride while your exes were talking amazingly cute about you… I mean… he made this very difficult”

 

“I know, I know” She nodded at him with a smile. “But I’m glad you did all that”

 

“Tell me what you did in the Islands?” He asked. “Those were very pretty but they are almost totally empty”

 

“Well, even if it’s an empty kind of place, I did a lot of things to try to distract myself from all the mess”

 

Jaehyun got close to her and kissed her nose. “Tell me everything”

 

She smiled. “Will you listen to me?”

 

“I always will listen to you”