Chapter XI

Listen to you

 

 

 

She ended her last patient of her shift on the hospital and called a day. As she was walking out of the building she spotted her dad’s black car parked in front of the glass door. This is weird. Her father almost never comes to the hospital not even when he is sick. Something is fishy.

 

Before walking out the building grabbing her arms as the cold breeze hugged her, she walked slowly to her father’s car and hoped in.

 

“What are you doing here dad?” She asked drastically. She doesn’t hold back with her father because some part of her, even though is very deep in her heart, hates him.

 

He took the paper news out of his sight and placed it on the back seat. “I was waiting for you”

 

His smile is cynical and evil. She knows what is going on right now but she can't confess everything. She is keeping it cool.

 

“Yeah right” She said. “At least lie better”

 

Her father started the engine and moved the car out of the parking lot and towards the empty cold streets. She wasn’t talking or even breathing, she prefers to die if this is happening one more time without any reasonable explanation.

 

“We’re leaving so as soon we get to the house pack your bags”

 

She kept staring out the window so she doesn’t know if her father is watching her or not. “No” She responded.

 

“No what?” Her dad asked.

 

“I won’t go anywhere” She said one more time. Her tone sounds firm yet scare.

 

Her dad laughed softly. “Like if you have a choice”

 

“I have it” She faced him and his eyes were on the road. “I’m 21 years old, you can’t control my life any longer. I’m tired”

 

“I do the best for you”

 

“No you’re not. You do the best for your ego”

 

“Speak to me like that one more time and I will end up caring about your opinions”

 

She scoffed. “Like if you ever care” and looked out the window.

 

Mr. Park stayed in silence. “Of course I care” he said with a softer tone on his voice.

 

“Then don’t do this to me again” She said.

 

Silence again. “But he doesn’t deserve you Chaeyoung”

 

“What do you know?” She said. “You don’t even know him”

 

This is a discussion but they both are so good to keep it so low and calm.

 

“I’m tired. Jackson, Jungkook, Jimin, I’m done” She said, this time she looks at him. “I love Jaehyun and if it doesn’t work out boohoo big thing just let me be”

 

“No” He said

 

“Why?!”

 

Discussion becoming a discussion.

 

“He can’t take care of you”

 

“If we used your judgement no one can. But I’m not stupid I can take care of myself well”

 

“No”

 

“Stop saying no! Stop it!”

 

He made a U turn.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“We’re going straight to the airport”

 

“Dad no!” She started to fight his hold on the wheel.

 

“Park Chaeyoung don’t do that!!”

 

The car started to move left and right uncontrollably. Other cars pressing their horns to them. Others stepped over the breaks suddenly, making marks on the pavement.

 

But it stopped on the middle of the road when Mr. Park slapped Chaeyoung on her face. The inside of the car was death silence. She kept her hand on her face, astonish.

 

“We’re leaving!” he yelled and speed up the car.

 

Remember that day is like a painful needle on her chest. It’s like her heart doesn’t really care about life anymore. And it’s not even something over dramatic. Her father’s lap let her so catatonic to the point of not holding back when they were on the airport and flied to this place. When she arrived it was when it hit her. She is no longer in South Korea and her father will make what he is best at… making suffer her current boyfriend.

 

Jaehyun is strong and smart but he gets tired and annoyed fast. She is used to move on with her life. She did it three times already with wonderful human beings but… why is it so hard to imagine herself moving on from Jaehyun? Why Jaehyun is more painful than Jackson, Jimin or Jungkook? Why is he the one that made her cry since she got here? She can’t remember when was the last time she cried because she has been crying nonstop. When this happened with Jackson she cried a whole day but it faded away when she understood where he was coming from. Jimin was hard to forget too but he was a good kid who deserved the best and she, with this situation, wasn’t the best. Jungkook… she can’t say he was his first everything but sure it was something extremely different and beautiful and something like that deserves to be happy; with her, that won’t be possible… but Jaehyun… wow… it’s hard for her to come with an excuse to let him go. He is too perfect for her… maybe that can be a reason… no… he was perfect and she wanted him to be hers so thinking of him moving on from her makes her full of anxiety and sadness.

 

The times she imagined him holding hands with someone else she ended up crying on her grandmother’s lap.

 

It was kind of ironic. She was in such a beautiful and peaceful place with his mind and heart on a disaster and horrific place to be.

 

She was sited on a bench close to a lake in front of her grandmother’s house. She has been here for three hours straight only looking at the lake. Yeah, as I said before she looks peaceful but she is full of chaotic feelings.

 

“Ah…” She let her head fall back and now she was looking at the sky. “What are you doing?” She asked. “Are you looking for me?” A tear fell from her eyes and her voice cracked. “Are you with someone else right now?”

 

She didn’t cry like that since a while. She placed both of her hands on her face and started to cry hard. In one of those moments she couldn’t even breathe. She feels like she lost a battle one more time. She feels so lonely, so finished, so erased. She hugged herself and let the tears furiously fall from her eyes.

 

“PLEASE DON’T BE WITH SOMEONE ELSE!” She yelled against the wind. “I’m begging you” She whispered.

 

From the window, her grandmother was watching her. She was along with Chaeyoung’s cousin, Park Bom. They have been trying to make her feel better but nothing works. Her grandma doesn’t want to admitted but her son is such a monster.

 

Mr. Park took Chaeyoung’s passpords and credit cars to avoid her from flying back to Korea and give it to someone on the place they are.

 

MONSTER.

 

MONSTER.

 

MONSTER.

 

He didn’t deserved be a father.

 

After that he flied to Unite States just like he told Jaehyun.

 

At least with that he is honest.

 

“Grandma” She heard. “Let’s call the guy”

 

The old lady turned around after weeping her tears. “How?” She said, grabbing some plates so she could dry it. “He took her phone. Her diary. Everything” She turned around to see through the window one more time. “I don’t know when he started to be like this”

 

“It’s wrong, granny. You know it’s wrong. Chaeyoung is in the edge of doing something drastic to herself, I know it”

 

“Shut it!” Mrs. Park said. “Don’t say that! Don’t say that in front of her! She is sensitive and can take everything serious”

 

“Grandma, that is not necessary. Chaeyoung has been telling me that lately”

 

Mrs. Park looked at her granddaughter. “Bom! Don’t say anything else about that ok?”

 

“Grandma, please, let’s just… ask someone… I don’t know. We need to do something before something else happen, please”

 

“We can’t do anything Bom, is not on our hands” She said.

 

“Chaeyoung must know his number; his email or his office address. I can go to downtown and send him a letter or something so he can come”

 

“You think letters are deliver to Korea from this place?”

 

“Grandma we are not that isolated from the world. We still can send cards, we have internet, don’t treat us like we leave in XII century”

 

When Mrs. Park stayed in silence, Bom took it like she was actually considating the plan. She let a few plates on the table and ran outside where Chaeyoung was. She walked slowly as he got close to her and sat. She didn’t even notice her.

 

“Chaeyoungnie?” Bom looked for her hands.

 

Chaeyoung’s hands were cold so when she touched Bom’s warms hands she didn’t hesitated to take it. But, she didn’t say anything.

 

“I have a plan” She whispered on her ear and that’s when she got a reaction. Chaeyoung turned around, eyes puffed and red.

 

Oh God.

 

“My baby” Bom said, caressing her cheek. “ what uncle says. Let’s send him a letter”

 

Chaeyoung keep it in silence.

 

“You know his email? his office address? I can go to downtown and find those cute cyber cafés or send him a letter from the post office”

 

More tears rolled out of Chaeyoung’s eyes and she hugged her cousin. Downtown is almost three hours away from where the house is. So, if Bom was actually going to do this, she is basically giving herself to an annoying and very boring trip to the center of the – place where she is right now –. The most important thing here is that Mr. can’t now what Bom was doing. Otherwise, he would fly back and take her somewhere else.

 

Bom grabbed the last bus to downtown after she got the approbation and the directions from Chaeyoung. She said she would stay in one of her friend’s house to spend the night and tomorrow morning she would come back. The post office was open almost all day and all night too. The town is very pure and little so they have no fear on staying open all night. Also the cyber cafés but Bom also assured her that if the cyber cafés were close she would wait until they are open tomorrow morning.

 

She is doing the best she can so Chaeyoung’s pain can fade away.

 

She was helping cutting the tomatoes for the dinner they were having after Bom left. They were in silence. Her grandma didn’t want to say anything but she was so worry that the words came out.

 

“Please don’t do anything silly, Chae” Her soft voice sounded broking the silence.

 

Chaeyoung stopped cutting and slowly reached her grandmother’s eyes. “I won’t do anything silly” She said. “He’s not here yet”

 

“Do you think he will come?” Her grandmother asked.

 

“He will” She said and started to cut the tomatoes again.

 

“What about if he doesn’t?” The old lady asked again. “What about if he is not in his office?”

 

“That would be a sign that he is looking for me”

 

“What about if it just work thing?”

 

Chaeyoung looked at her grandmother while frowning.

 

“I’m just trying for you to not get your hopes up and move on baby”

 

She reminded silence but slowly putted her eyes on the tomatoes again.

 

“If he doesn’t come because well… other reasons you need to move forward”

 

“He’ll come”

 

“Baby”

 

“Grandma, just…. Stop, please? You sound like my father”

 

“Chaeyoung, I’m being honest”

 

 

“I’m tired, I’ll go to sleep” She stood up and let the tomatoes unfinished on the table.

 

She could not longer bare it. Not longer take it. Not longer support the load of she is getting. Her grandmother and her father are united to make her suffer or what? Glad Bom is having her back and is doing anything for her to be ok. But she hates everything in her arounds anyway because even though her grandmother was being annoyed she has a point. What about if Jae never comes? How will she endure it? How will she move on when she is not even thinking on moving on?

 

“Will you come?” She whispered against her pillow.

 

Man, she has never felt this hopeless.

 

Bom went back the other day with great news. Everything went as planned, she had to come back a little later though but she got her mission complete. When she went to find Chaeyoung to tell her that, she found her on the same place she always was. Sited on the bench in front of a bit lake outside the house.

 

“Baby!!!” Bom said walking towards her. Chaeyoung turned around and smiled softly. “I did it!”

 

“You did?” Her eyes on her lap.

 

“Yeah!!” She jumped around her and then sat again. “So happy! The internet is a bit slow here but we made it!”

 

“So…” She made a pause while she was looking her hands and then Bom. “You think he will come?”

 

“OF COURSE!”

 

Chaeyoung’s smile faded suddenly.

 

“What? Why? What is going on?” Bom asked, confused.

 

“Grandma doesn’t think so” She said.

 

“Dude! Grandma is old!”

 

That made Chaeyoung chuckle. “Don’t people say an old person knows better?”

 

“Chaeyoung…” Bom looked for her chin and made her face her. “He’ll come. Trust me. I send him two letters. TWO” She made two with her fingers. “He will come. You’ll remember me”

 

“I don’t think he will come” Chaeyoung suddenly said. “I think he found someone else already”

 

“Chaeyoung!”

 

“Bom I already assumed” She said starting to stand up. “It’s time for me to move on”

 

“You don’t even know that!”

 

“It’s been four months” Chaeyoung said starting to walk back to the house. “It’s been a while”

 

“He would have called uncle to say that”

 

“He won’t, he is too proud”

 

“Chaeyoung!”

 

“I’ll wait for you inside to play jenga” She said as she stood upand walked back to the house but before that she turned around with a smile on her face and her little eyes on a thin line. “Guess I’ll be staying here forever so we better do something fun”

 

And with that she walked slowly to the house. Bom sighted and looked at the lake, she could see Chaeyoung’s sweet smile but also the horrible pain behind it because she is not stupid. She knows her cousin will be miserable all her life if that guy doesn’t show up… which… even though she has hopes… she is starting to be believe he will not come around… never.