Rule 5

The Boyfriend Sitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]  h i g h    s c h o o l    p a r t i e s    a r e    a l w a y s    c r a z y [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2] 

  She faced the mirror with a jaded face, looking at the bland clothes that sat crisply on her body.

  She wasn’t offended by Soojung’s demand for something decent, but she was hassled by the request. Her apparels were bland and her style was the same. Simplicity suited her and she owned little else but the basics.

  A sigh left her lungs and she reached back for the zipper. She’d have to try something else.

  “What are you dressing up for?” asked a curious voice.

  Her sister peered at her from the door, a heavy and battered book under her arm.

  “Nothing important,” Jennie assured. “Would you mind helping me ?”

  She knelt down and Jessie pulled the zip down, letting the dress rustle onto the floor in a ring around Jennie’s feet.

  “Are you going somewhere?” Jessie asked, placing her copy of Harry Potter aside.

  Jennie kicked the dress away and pulled a shirt out of her closet. “A party I have to go to.”

  “Is dad coming home tonight?” Jessie asked.

  “No,” she answered. “Do you think you’ll be alright tonight?”

  Jessie clasped her hands on her lap and shrugged.

  “Do you want to invite a friend over or anything?” Jennie asked with a hint of hope in her voice.

  She shook her head and looked down, fiddling with the worn cover of her book. “No.”

  Jennie sighed, growing thoroughly frustrated at Soojung and her party. She wore a heavy badge of guilt on her chest for leaving her baby sister alone. “I’ll ask Hwasa to come over.”

  “That’s okay. I like Hwasa, she’s funny.”

  Jessie was a solitary child by nature and it often caused Jennie worry. She always tried to make sure her sister was left with company.

  “Oh I like that outfit,” said Jessie.

  Jennie turned in the mirror, approving of the way her washed out jeans hung on her hip. Her white crop tee hovered just above the belt line, exposing a strip of her midriff when she raised her arms.

  “I think you got it Jess,” she agreed. It was casual, but with a pair of heels it would be just passable for a party.

  “Are you going to wear makeup?” her sister asked, looking excited.

  “I’m already wearing makeup.”

  “I mean proper makeup like eye shadow and mascara,” Jessie expanded.

  Jennie flicked Jessie's forehead. “This is proper makeup. Remember what I told you? I’ll let you give me a full makeover like Michelle Phan and Nikki Tutorials for prom.”

  “But that’s going to be next year!” she whined.

  Jennie laughed. Jessie idolised makeup youtubers but unlike her sister, Jennie hated the effort. She only wore light concealer where needed, fortunately she had the face to get away with it.

  A rude honk came from their driveway, startling her sister.

  “Who’s that?” Jessie questioned.

  “My ride,” she answered unexcitedly. “I’ll see you later tonight okay?”

  “Okay,” Jessie smiled. “Have fun sis.”

  Jennie shut the door and grumbled as she faced the bright red car impatiently waiting for her. “Oh god I wish I could…”

***

  Music boomed from within the house and coloured lights flashed from the windows. Teenagers sat littered on the front lawn, nursing half-filled beer bottles.

  Jennie stepped out to find Soojung and Jongin already waiting for her by the mailbox marked 23 in silver.

  Soojung stood tall in a tight blue dress and red soled heels, her hand on Jongin’s shoulder. Even with her shoes, Jongin stood a fair bit taller than her, somehow effortlessly stunning in a hoodie and black jeans.

  Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a glimpse of Jongin staring as if dumbfounded, but in the face of the queen bee she wisely chose not to draw attention to it.

  Soojung studied her appearance with a careful eye before deeming her acceptable, but only by a hair judging by the tightness of her pressed lips.

  “Come on,” she beckoned, turning on her high heels. “Let’s go.”

  Jennie dreaded the night ahead but she followed. They entered the house like celebrities, garnering attention as soon as they stepped in. A pack of guys greeted Jongin with handshakes and ready bottles.

  “Soojung! Glad to see you at my party!” said the host cheerily.

  Jennie took one look at the girl’s outfit and raised an eyebrow.

  Obviously unwilling to be outdone at her own party, the girl’s dress was in direct competition with Soojung’s; nearly identical design in red accompanied by blinding jewellery.

  Jennie looked to Soojung to see how she’d react, but the queen bee wasn’t concerned. Kang Seulgi didn’t share the same striking stature and that made Soojung the clear winner.

  Several introductions were made before Soojung turned to Jennie. “I have business to deal with. You know what to do.”

  Jennie nodded and Soojung left to join the host in the backyard.

  “Same thing as last time…” she murmured. “…Where’d he go?”

  She found the spac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter