-XVIII-

Equilibrium

'Where's the Nessie you were talking about?' Tzuyu jumped aboard a patrol boat, startling a few of the crew members. 

'We're trying to track it on radar. Our last sighting was by that.' The seaman pointed at a telescope mounted by the railing. 

'So you saw it through this?' Tzuyu ask sceptically as she peered through the scope. It was a little hard to see and the brewing storms made it even worst. 'You sure you didn't see a huge wave?' 

'I'm telling you, that thing had gills the size of a car!'     

'Hydras don't exist.' The hydrokinetic scoffed.

'I think they do now.' Momo gulped and the group turned towards the other side of the boat. There it was, emerging from the water, a creature the size of a Bagger 288.

Large ruby eyes sat tightly within the creature's scaled, horned skull making it look like the most intimidating thing that ever existed. A row of small horns ran down the sides of its jaw. There were several huge teeth that protruded from the side of its mouth that could probably mash up the boat in one bite.

A set of huge gills stood out from its muscular neck which ran down from its head and into a equally muscular body. It's entire back seemed to be covered in bone like spikes while it's chest was covered in crystal-like skin and coloured much darker than the rest of its body. The lower half of it wss submerged in water but no one really wanted to find out how it looked like. 

It towered above the boat that was probably the size of its foot, dripping water all over the deck and drenching them in salt water.

'Holy ! That ain't no Nessie!' Tzuyu yelled. 'Help me get this boat away!' 

Momo extended a hand and Tzuyu gripped it tight. Together, they created a hurricane to distract the creature while they sailed off. 

'Where the does Zafir find things like these?' Momo was absolutely confounded.

'Remind me to ask him when we get to him.' Tzuyu said sarcastically as she intertwined a few jet streams of water and blasted it into the water dragon's face. 

The commander had ran back into the cabin to radio for help. 

'Mayday mayday mayday! Attack by sea monster in the Yellow sea north of Yeongheungdo! Requesting immediate support!' The captain shouted into the receiver. 

'Get the air force to bomb this beast to hell!' Tzuyu barged into the cabin. 

'Requesting an air strike on these coordinates: 37°18'07.5"N 126°27'54.9"E!' He read off his navigation system. 

'Copy. ETA 3 minutes.' 

'3 minutes! 3 minutes!' The commander was about the run out into the main deck but Tzuyu shoved him back into the cabin. 

'Stay here with your men, I don't think you can be of any help so just do us a fav and stay alive.' Tzuyu said and walked outside. She got the rest of the crew into safety before she joined Momo on the bow. 

'Let's give this beast a run for Zafir's money.' Momo grinned. Tapping into their powers, they unleashed a barrage of bubble bombs at the creature's face. They split up and leaped off the boat and into the sea, re-emerging on a vortex of water and air each. 

The next three minutes seemed like the slowest three minutes of their lives. The creature had managed to smack Momo off her little vortex and the girl was sent into the rough waves of the Yellow Sea. 

'You'll pay for that scaly!' Tzuyu hauled up a wave of water that towered over the creature and smashed down on it. She saw a figure jumping and waving its arm on the boat so she dove down to take a look. 

'You need to make it stop moving! The bombers can’t get a clear shot!' The captain yelled at her. 

'How much time do I have left?'

'30 seconds!' 

Tzuyu glanced at the sea where Momo went down then back at the monster and then the captain who was frantically pulling at his matted hair.

Tzuyu stretched her hands out at the monster and pulled the liquids within it as tight as she could. The creature was struggling against her hold but she had to hold on. 

'10 seconds!' She heard the captain yell. Then a miracle happened. Momo shot out of the water, sphere of air surrounding her and she swung her hands in a circular motion, causing the wind to pick up and wrap around the creature to help restrain it.

They could hear the roar of the turbojet engines from the Northrop F-5 and a group of them emerged from the clouds and passed over the creature, dropping a few aerial bombs. 

Tzuyu and Momo released the creature and dove into the water to take cover. They could see the creature's legs and tail trash around as it was assaulted above. The sound of another plane was heard as it circled the area and fired a Gatling gun. 

The hydrokinetic swam up to Momo who had surrounded herself in a bubble of air. The two floated to the top and were pulled aboard the boat by seamen. 

Smoke was curling off the charred scaled skin as blue liquid dripped down its hide. Momo pulled the air out of its lungs and Tzuyu wrapped it's head with seawater. They watched as it slowly asphyxiated and receded back into the sea, leaving behind a patch of froth floating on the surface. 

Tzuyu lay down on the wet bow of the boat and Momo collapsed beside her. 

'Are you two okay?' The captain asked in concern.

'Just let us rest for a bit.' 

'Thank you, really. You really helped us out big time.' 

'Don't mention it.' Momo waved him off and they saluted the pair before walking off to steer the boat back to the pier.

 


 

'Be quiet.' The necromancer whispered as they approached a dark building. She walked into the shadows and another figure moved. 

'Why are you here? You're supposed to be at the south.' 

'I was just-' 

Mina lunged forward with a blowtorch blade in hand and stabbed it into his chest before he could even react. The entire scene was over in less than ten seconds. 

'What's wrong with you? I could have handled it.' The necromancer scowled and flipped her black cloak. 

'I'm not taking any of your kind as prisoners. Creepy black magic wizards should just die. They could raise a damn army if we imprison them and bust themselves out.' Mina bit back. 

'Fine fine. One down, eight to go.'

'There's only ten?'

'How many did you expect? There aren't many necromancers that are skilled in dark arts you know.' 

'I'm not complaining.' Mina grumbled. Sana shot her an amused look and slipped her hand into Mina's. The girl's shoulders visibly relaxed from their tensed up position. 

The necromancer looked at them but said nothing and waved her hand over them to cover them in the cloak. 

Turns out there was at least one positioned in every direction to hinder the troops from getting to the centre. 

'There’s still one more, where is he or she?'

'You won't be able to reach him. He's the master necromancer so he's with Zafir at the centre of the city.'

'How can we get through?'

'You'll have to lure him out. He has protected himself with a force field. Unless all his troops pull back and retreat, he will not come out.'

'Why I ought to shove a-' 

Sana placed a hand on Mina's chest and restrained the girl. 

'He would catch word that his necromancers are dead soon. He would then order the rest of his mutant army to attack.' 

'Is the army enhanced in anyway?' Sana asked.

'No. The experiments he carried out had positive results but the all died after a few days because their organs couldn't cope with the amount of enhancements.'

'Every single one of them?' Sana asked in shock. 

'Yes. You won't have to worry about any extraordinary mutants other than Zafir himself.'

'Thank you. You should make your escape now. You have helped us loads.'

'I'm sorry on behalf of Zafir and his extreme ideology.' 

'Don't be.' 

She bowed and promptly disappeared into the darkness. 

'How do we lure him out of his little bubble?' Sana asked and looked at Mina.

'I have the perfect idea.' Her eyebrows lowered and a grin spread across her lips. 

 


 

Nayeon was pretty thankful for her powers now because she was sure that if she had been running instead of teleporting, her left leg would have given up on her long ago along with her stamina. 

She had been jumping all over the city, never staying in one place for more than five minutes. In fact she had been teleporting around so much she had completely lost her sense of direction. All she knew she had to do was to appear, throw a few strategic portals to throw enemies and attacks off course before moving on to repeat the same thing. If there was an injured mutant or soldier, she would grab the person and go. 

The original plan was for Chaeyoung to stick close to her so that the healer could fix up anyone who was wounded on the go but the younger girl was nowhere near Nayeon and she could only hope that Chaeyoung was somewhere safe. 

'Teleporter! We need your help!' A yell was heard from her left. Nayeon quickly ran over to the cry and saw a group of soldiers. Some were lying on the ground groaning in pain while others were sitting around. 

'What's wrong?'

'They're severely wounded and need immediate medical attention. Can you get them back to the base you came from?' 

Nayeon placed a hand on their shoulders and they disappeared. 

'What else?' She asked.

'We're out of ammo. This.. this monster, he single headedly destroyed us all!' Another soldier tousled his hair. 

'Did you see how he looked like?' Nayeon asked.

'No but he was like the girl that jumped with us.' 

'Mina? Like Mina? What do you mean? The height?' Nayeon asked. There was no way there could possibly be another pyrokinetic. Can there?

'No. The power. He was shooting flames from his hands and even his eyes like an absolute freak!' 

'Eyes? I need to know when, where and how.' Nayeon knelt down, pushing her tribal patterned sleeves up to her elbows. 

'He was in full body armour, all black like you guys but he had an upgraded version. Armoured leather boots up to his knees, carbon fibre plates, shoulder guards and vambraces. He had a helmet too! Something like these!' The soldier raised the helmet that they wore when they jumped from the plane. 'But even this was way more futuristic. He had a gas filter and capsule attached and his visor was red. The material was reflective so we couldn't see his face at all.' 

'Thanks. Keep a look out for him and if you see him, do not engage. Stay out of sight if you can, you're in no position or power to even handle him. We don't know the true extent to his powers yet.' Nayeon ordered and they complied. 'Is there any other weapon that you have?' 

'No.'

Nayeon opened a portal and the pinkish glow from the borders washed the walls of the alley in the same colours. She had opened a way back to base but this was not what she expected to see. The base was up in smoke, planes were burning and the cargo area were destroyed. She immediately closed the portal before anyone could see it. 

'They attacked the base!' The soldier yelled and knocked his head on the wall behind him. 'There goes all our supplies and back up. Our comrades.' He closed his eyes.

'They must be trying to cut off all outside help. We're really alone for this now. Just stay put and hide. Ration whatever ammo you have left and stay alive. I need to tell Mina about this.' Nayeon said and disappeared in a puff of smoke. 

'Portal!' Was the first thing Nayeon heard when she materialized in the middle of a intersection. Her eyes processed the situation and she threw a portal open for Jihyo to shoot the metal poles from a scaffolding as spears. They began to fall from the sky and Nayeon opened another portal just before they hit the ground and positioned it in the path of the oncoming hellhounds and it pierced through two waves of them.

Nayeon opened a portal and jumped in along with Jihyo, transporting them to the top of a building. 

'Thanks.' Jihyo smiled but Nayeon had no time to return any formalities.

'There’s a pyrokinetic on the loose and it's not Mina.' Nayeon said and Jihyo's eyebrows raised to her hairline. 

'Another one?' Jihyo asked in disbelief.

'Yeah but it can't be good for us if he's on the wrong side. Soldiers said he was in full armour with a helmet. He destroyed all their supplies and fled. Even the base that they came from had been destroyed. I think they're trying to sever the city from the rest of the country.' 

'We're on our own.' Jihyo said tightly as her brows dropped into a crease and she looked down at the city shaking her head.

She combed through every consciousness in the city and found the pyrokinetic heading south. She also found Mina who had razed an entire area of shop houses to the ground, killing both hellhounds and mutants. Jihyo panned out on both their locations and she gripped Nayeon's arm so tightly that the teleporter winced. 

'Mina!' Jihyo yelled and Nayeon understood immediately. She threw a portal open to their left and jumped through. They could see Mina turn around to face them and they ran straight at Mina, shoving her into the portal that was opened behind the girl's back and tumbled down onto the middle of a road somewhere else. 

'What the heck?' Mina groaned as she got to her feet. 

'You have company. There's another pyrokinetic in full battle gear that was heading your way. Supposedly he had fire vision but we don't know for sure.' Jihyo briefly explained. 

'But how?' Mina asked, she couldn't process what was happening. Another pyrokinetic? Wasn't she the only one?

'I don't know how but this has just increased our risk tenfold. Stay out of his way until we have no choice but to face him.' Jihyo said and gripped onto the collar of Mina's jacket. 

'Alright alright. Where are the rest? They need to know.' Mina said and her heart began to race. Sana. She had to get to Sana before the girl picks the wrong fight.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

Sana had coincidentally bumped into Tzuyu and almost instantly they were surrounded by rebels and hounds. Lion like creatures roared in their face as the rebels eyed them like how a predator would look at its prey. 

Lightning flashed above and dark clouds swirled around overhead. A weather manipulator. The wind around them picked up and the small particles of debris began to churn around them. A psammokinetic. Another was unmoving but her face and hands seemed to have turned into diamond. A shapeshifter. Three powers that they have never came across before. This would be fun.

The shapeshifter was the first to attack, punched Tzuyu in the face and the girl went down with a loud groan. A surge of water erupted like a geyser from the river and picked up the shapeshifter, wrapping around her body and squeezed her till the sound of cracking could be heard. The psammokinetic was next, generating a sandstorm that blinded Sana and Tzuyu. 

They could hear the growling from the lions and Sana dropped the temperatures, causing the sandstorm to dissipate. She slid between his legs and stabbed him in the spine with a spike of ice. His body was encased in a thick layer of ice as he froze from inside out. With the clench of her fist, he disintegrated into nothing but a pile of frost. The shapeshifter had managed to get away and was now protected by the weather manipulator. 

It began to hail and lighting struck the ground, causing Tzuyu and Sana to roll away. The hydrokinetic wrapped a layer of water around them as a shield. 

'What now?' 

'How does raining ice spikes sound to you?' Sana shot the younger girl a crazy grin.

'Sounds fantastic.' Tzuyu smiled. She raised the water overhead but saw three familiar figures appear from a portal. This was not good. 

The atmokinetic directed a jolt of lightning straight at Mina who was the nearest. 

'No!' Sana screamed but it was too late. The tip of the bolt touched Mina's chest and the girl dropped to her knees.

'You want to play with lighting?' Mina laughed in a dark way, making Jihyo and Nayeon step back in disconcert. Even Sana felt a little perturbed by the tone in her partner's voice. Mina had her head tilted down as she slowly stood up. The atmokinetic was about to strike her down again but lighting exploded in all directions, sending the four mutants scrambling for cover. 

'You think you're the only one with lighting?' Mina challenged as white streaks crackled around her form. The girl made the wrong move of jabbing at Mina who caught her hand and twisted it at an angle that didn't seem humanely possible. Kicking the girl's leg, Mina shoved her backwards and slammed her palm down onto the girl's chest, discharging the jagged bolts into her body before dropping her to the ground, steam curling off her back as she lay face down. 

The lions pounced but were electrocuted with flickers of crackling electricity, resulting in them being blown backwards to the ground. There was complete silence as Mina stood in her spot, making sure the hostiles remained down. 

Sana walked up to Mina and hesitantly touched the girl's shoulder. 

'Mina.' Sana called gently.

'Yes?' The girl turned around looking perfectly fine. Then again, what did Sana expect Mina to look like? 

'You alright?'

'I should be asking you that. Come on, we got to go.' Mina said and looked st Nayeon and stepped through the portal which took them to a quieter place. 

'I need you to look out for a guy in full body armour.' Mina told Sana.

'You want to kill him?' 

'No. He's a pyrokinetic and you should avoid him. Never engage until he is the last one standing. He will be our pawn to getting Zafir out of his cowardly hideout.' 

'Got it.' Sana nodded. 

'How many more left?' Mina asked.

'Not too many. Soldiers are out of the question. Too risky. Most of SungJin's members are out of the game too.' Jihyo replied.

'It's fine. We'll settle this ourselves.' Mina said with such confidence that everyone was slightly stunned. 

'Guys! We're clear!' Dahyun shouted as she landed near the group. Jeongyeon hopped of her mini metal surfboard and Momo too, landed with Chaeyoung on her back. 

'Clear?' Tzuyu raised an eyebrow.

'We swept the rest of the city down and wiped off the rebels and their hounds.' Momo shrugged.

'That fast?' Mina sounded shocked.

'What do you mean that fast? Have you any idea what you have been doing? You took down all the necromancers who instantly reduced half the fight then burned down so many buildings and roads, incinerating tons of hounds and rebels. Especially when you landed. You hacked and slashed like there was no tomorrow! There actually really wouldn't be a tomorrow but you created tomorrow.' Jeongyeon said.

'I did all of those?' The pyrokinetic's eyebrows raised to her hairline.

'Never have I ever seen someone singlehandedly take down a flock of dinosaur looking birds from the sky. You created a fireball up there didn't you? Do you even know the scale of it?' Dahyun asked, slightly horrified when Mina shook her head.

'It was as big as when a bomb drops and explodes. Those birds weren't small either, if my estimation is right, their wingspan is literally about your height and yet you just trashed them to the ground like they were flies.' The aerobat said and Mina covered . She had been causing mass rampage? She didn't even feel like she did much. 

'Whatever it is, we're left with one last mutant and Zafir's little band. Are our syringes still alive?' Mina patted her pocket to make sure hers was still intact. 

'Yep.' 

'Let's go then. We'll surround his little hole. There's no way he can run any further.' Mina said.

‘Wait, there’s one problem.’ Jeongyeon said and they all turned to look at her.

‘What?’

‘I couldn’t find that snake. The one that took down the building.’

‘It can’t possibly be a shape shifter right?’ Dahyun nervously chuckled.

‘No. Keep your senses sharp. We might have one more item on our plate.’ Jihyo said.

They quietly approached the centre. The sky had become darker and it was almost as if the sun had set, making it hard for them to see. The only thing clearly visible was the hideout which was lit up from the inside.

‘How do we lure him?’ Chaeyoung whispered.

‘I’ll do it.’ Mina locked her eyes on the building and walked out of cover.

‘Mina no!’ Jihyo hissed but the occupants had already caught sight of her.

It was too late.