-XIII-

Equilibrium

Sana stared at the blazing building with hope that Mina would appear but so far there wasn't any sign of them. 

'Nayeon, take them back to the academy along with this.' Jihyo instructed and handed the box to Nayeon who promptly sent everyone back to safety.

The blaring sound of the fire engines could be heard as the red trucks pulled up and began spraying the fire with fire fighting foam. 

The sound of shouting and the chaos was muted to Sana. She could only hear the frantic thumping of her own heart in her ears as her eyes trained on the burning building. Time seemed to slow down and nothing mattered to her at this point except for Mina's safety. 

Suddenly, there was a tremor in the ground and the sound of rock being pulled apart. 

'You guys are okay!' Sana heard Jihyo shout from behind her and she whipped around so fast she almost got whiplash. 

Mina was there, standing with a group of five other people and was brushing dirt off her black coat.

Sana didn't think twice and ran up to Mina, crashing into the girl and wrapping her arms around Mina's neck, burying her face in the girl's hair. 

'So glad you're okay.' Sana let out a deep breath of relief that she didn't even know she was holding. 

'Of course I'm okay. I can't leave you alone like this can I?' Mina returned the hug and Sana's back in a soothing manner.

‘Time to get out of here.’ Jihyo said and nodded towards the policemen which were walking around with a clipboard in hand, probably questioning the witnesses.

Before Mina could ask where Nayeon was, a portal opened behind a tree and revealed the girl. The group quickly stepped through and returned to the mansion.

‘Is this everyone?’ Jeongyeon asked as Mina stepped through behind the group.

‘Yeah.’

Nayeon closed the portal.

Where are we?’ The boy with the goatee asked.

Korea. South Korea. This is a safe house for us mutants.’ Mina explained and the group nodded.

‘What do you plan to do with them?’ Mina asked Jihyo.

‘Have them seated in the meeting room. You, Nayeon and I will talk with them later. As for the rest of you, go get some rest. I’ll update you on the happenings tomorrow.’ Jihyo ordered in a leader like tone. The seven girls dispersed and Mina moved the refugees to the meeting room.

‘You’ll be my translator.’ Jihyo patted Mina’s shoulder.

They briefly explained why they were here and the threat that they were facing.

They have necromancers that control the dead. Like zombies, they use darkness to have the dead do their bidding.’ One of the mutants said.

They have amassed an army of zombies and hellhounds.’ Another added.

What’s the ratio of zombies to mutants?’ Mina asked.

About 100:1. There aren’t many necromancers so if you can take them out, their strength would be greatly reduced.' 

Is there any way to identify a necromancer?

Yes. They have a special badge that is of a black colour.

Great.

Mina conveyed the information to Jihyo who scribbled it down on the whiteboard. Jihyo handed out a folder to the mutants from each country.

We won’t be making you stay here in a foreign land so we’ll send you back to your home countries. We will have to ask of you to help us free the mutants held in captivity in each country and keep a look out for their activities.’ Mina said and Jihyo handed out manila folders to the mutants from each country.

This contains crucial information that can help you get around the confusing prison layouts. Be prepared to face resistance when they decide to strike. There isn’t any news about when they will strike but please stay vigilant.’ Mina closed off the meeting.

You can count on us. The world won’t fall into the hands of darkness.’ A girl smiled.

The teleporter opened a kaleidoscopic portal.

This will take you to the destination that you have in mind.’ Mina translated.

Thank you so much. We owe you our lives.’ A man who seemed to be their representative stepped forth and shook Jihyo’s hand with a grateful bow. One by one, the mutants stepped through and returned home to their loved ones.

‘Let’s hope they will be able to bust the rest out.’ Jihyo said as the portal rippled and shrunk into thin air.

‘I hope so too.’ Mina looked at the whiteboard. This was not going to end well.

 


 

‘How did that happen?’ Zafir tapped his fingers on the armrest, voice void of any emotion, making his subject feel extremely nervous.

 ‘It is unclear sir.’

 ‘And the test subjects?’

 ‘There is a high chance they perished sir. Along with the documents and past records.’

 ‘Are you sure.’ Zafir deadpanned and stopped tapping his fingers. The kneeling boy could feel cold sweat running down his back.

 ‘There is no way they could have survived.’

 ‘Any evidence?’

 ‘W-We haven’t searched the site.’

 ‘Then you can’t assume!’ He boomed and with the flick of a finger, a rock ploughed into the boy’s stomach, sending him rolling to the far end of the hall.

 ‘Sir!’ A girl walked in and bowed. ‘I have received news that some of the witnesses saw the prisoners escaping.’

Zafir turned his head to look at the boy who was struggling to his feet and clutching his stomach. He raised his hand and the boy yelped in pain. His arm jerked and snapped to his sides.

 ‘You are giving me inaccurate information.’ The man growled and swiped his hand, making the boy fly across the room and colliding with the walls before dropping to the floor, unmoving.

‘Get him out of my sight.’ He ordered and the girl nodded, scooping the limp body and left the room.

‘Escaped? More like prison break. Just wait till I get my hands on you and snuff you out. You won’t escape so easily.’ He clenched his fist and exhaled deeply.

Getting up from his seat, he walked to the training room of his team of elites.

‘Zafir.’ His right hand man nodded at the man who stepped in.

‘How are the preparations going?’ he asked.

‘Great. We’re almost set for initiation.’

‘Perfect. We shall not waste time. Contact the rest and hack into the communications satellite. I have a message for the world.’ Zafir gave a menacing grin.

 


 

‘Tests to be done on hounds and enhancing surgeries on weak mutants.’ Jihyo read off the confidential document. ‘Additional attachments: Information sheet.’

Sana peeped into the envelope and pulled out a few thin sheets of Tyvek paper.

‘This states in detail the procedures for tests and enhancements.’ Sana scanned the diagrams and pointers. ‘Also, they’re trying to genetically modify and create a whole new hybrid breed of mutants that will all have two base powers.’

‘What kind of madness are they dabbling with?’ Jihyo shook her head and looked around at the documents that were spread out across the desk. She and Sana were going through the records in an attempt to either find or predict their next move but so far without much luck. This was the only few that Jihyo managed to pick out from the tonnes of old and yellow documents that dated as far back as the 1400s and maybe even more. Talk about dedication.

‘How does such a widespread organization not get cracked down even after so long? Does no one know them? They’re even worse than human secret societies!’ Sana slumped back in her chair.

‘They probably have members in government agencies as well to help cover up their involvements and clean their traces. Mutants are scary to humans so I doubt they will even try to pry into our stuff. Look at what their own breed can do to each other! I don’t think they would even want to risk digging into our secrets.’ Jihyo rubbed her face.

‘Is there any connections at all with these?’ Sana gestured at the heap of papers.

‘I can’t seem to find anything. They don’t have a pattern, almost like they do things on the whim or if they feel like it. Look, this is an index for the past 10 decades and there are several years that are completely missed out because there was no involvement with anything.’ Jihyo tapped on a discoloured index page.

‘Any progress?’ Mina’s soothing voice asked as she stepped into a room with two cups of tea.

‘None.’ Jihyo leaned back in her seat and Sana spun around in her swivel chair.

‘Missing info?’ Mina passed the cups to the stressed out girls and walked over to Sana who had stood up from her seat.

‘Sit.’ Sana smiled.

Mina sat down and patted her thigh. Sana rolled her eyes but sat down on Mina’s lap anyway, hands wrapped around the warm tea cup.

‘Not missing. No info. I don’t think I can make a guess on anything they do.’

‘Then don’t stress yourself over it. I don’t think they would be hiding any pattern in this stuff. It’s just old history and history never repeats itself.’ Mina shrugged and gently swayed the chair from side to side.

'That's it! History won't repeat itself!' Jihyo slapped her hands on the table and Sana's hand jerked in shock, almost spilling the tea. 

'What?' Mina asked.

'I should be thinking like them rather than trying to analyse them.' Jihyo rubbed her temples. 'I thought too much into things to see that the solution was actually simple. We know their plans and what they have done so we can prepare on how to counter these plans, but to predict their next move, we should think like them!' 

'How so?' Sana placed her cup on the table. 

'I had been planning these for months. I completed these tests and have achieved successful results one month ago. My troops should be prepared by now and all that is left is to get a hold of the situation of the others around the world in the major cities which I would do so ASAP.' Jihyo rambled and pulled out a calendar as Sana and Mina watched.

'If everything was set and I have been planning this for as long as I was in reign, I would strike on the next big holiday to cause as much damage as I can which is-' Jihyo blanched and her eyes fixated on the calendar. 

'What? What is it?' Mina leaned forward in concern. 

'Seollal. We only have 4 days to prepare.' 

'What!' Sana and Mina exclaimed at the same time.

 



'We have confirmed with the other divisions. Everyone is ready.' The right hand man bowed.

'Fantastic. We will strike on Seollal. The perfect way to kick start our new era; on the lunar new year.' Zafir cackled. 

'Communications is up too, your message is ready to be broadcasted.' The boy said as he opened the door to the control room. There was a single microphone positioned on the desk in front of an array of control panels and screens with one camera that was recording the man. 

'Whenever you're ready, press the green button and we will override the system.' The technician instructed. 

Clearing his throat once, he began his speech.

'Citizens of the world. I am Zafir, leader of the Orion's Order.'

 


 

'I am calling upon all my mutant brothers and sisters to step up and unite. It is time we stop hiding from humans who think they can rule over us. As for you humans, this world was created by our ancestors. Without us mutants, the world wouldn't be as it is today. You are suppressing beings that are more capable than you. More powerful than you.'

 'Jihyo! Come quick! You have to see this!' Nayeon appeared in the office and grabbed on to the three girls before teleporting them to the meeting room where Zafir's face was on the television.

'Questions later, just watch.' Momo shushed Sana who had open.

'We have endured this humiliation for centuries but I think it is enough. The ancestors have chosen me to represent our kind, and stand up to you humans. Your time on the throne ends here. Prepare for a new era. An era where mutants rise, and humans fall.' His voice dipped into an ominous low tone before static appeared on the screen and the usual program was resumed. 

'Was that..' 

'Live? Yea. International broadcast to the whole world in fact. Now what do we do?' Jeongyeon asked, shooting a nervous look at Jihyo who looked like she couldn't comprehend the situation.

'We deduce that he will strike on Seollal to cause mass destruction since he is here in Korea. Lunar new year would be perfect to mark the start of his crazy rule.' Mina explained.

'Seollal? That's in 4 days!'

'Exactly. What we have to do now is talk to the president and evacuate the people.' Sana said and everyone shot her an incredulous look.

'The president? Will he listen? What power do we have to even speak to him?' Tzuyu almost let out a laugh at how absurd the idea seemed. 

'He wouldn't have a choice. His duty is to keep his citizens safe so he has to listen to us. I will go meet him. Diplomatically.' Sana announced. 'The rest of you will have to start preparing. If it pulls through, we will help evacuate the people.'

'I'll contact Joohyun to see if her antidotes are ready.' Jihyo ran back to her office. 

'Do you want me to go with you?' Mina asked as everyone left the room to get busy.

'Yes please, I think I need some moral support.' Sana smiled gratefully at Mina. 

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

A white BMW pulled up in front of the reception centre of the Blue House and the girls stepped out, entering the building.

'We need to speak to the president.' Mina told the front desk and the lady looked up.

'I'm sorry but the president is unable to meet with anyone right now.' 

'I think he has to meet us if he wants to ensure the safety of this nation and its people. I'm sure you heard that broadcast earlier and I can assure you that we are the solution to the problem.' Mina leaned over the counter and stared straight into the lady's eyes. The receptionist pursed her lips and picked up the phone, pressing speed dial 1.

'There are two visitors that would like to offer assistance.' She said into the receiver. There was a pause as she listened to the person on the other line before she hung up and looked between Mina and Sana. 

'You may see him. I trust you know the way there.' 

'Thank you very much Ma'am.' Mina nodded her head and they left for the president's office.

'Never knew you had that in you.' Sana chuckled as they walked. 

'Hmm.' was all Mina replied with as they arrived at the building.  

They ran up the red carpeted stairs and pushed the posh double doors open.

'Mr. Shim.' Mina and Sana bowed. 

'You must be the people that are offering your assistance? So how can you two ladies help me in anyway?' The president asked and folded his arms with a stern look on his face. 

'We'll help you in this way.' Mina opened her palm and flames began to dance around in her hand. 

'What the hell?' He stood up in his chair and backed away. He was about to press the alarm button but Mina had vaulted over the desk and gripped his wrist. 

'Just listen to what we have to say before you do anything stupid.' Mina insisted firmly and slowly pushed him back into his chair. 

'We're here to discuss things diplomatically with you, not to burn your office down so just listen to our offer. Calmly.' Mina let go of his wrist and walked back to Sana's side.

'Mr. Shim, I believe you already know of the threat Zafir has made. I don't know if you understand that there are good and bad mutants just like how there are good and bad humans but we are the good mutants and we want to help you solve this crisis.' Sana started. The man seemed to have composed himself and he interlocked his fingers, resting them on the table. 

'What do you propose?' 

'I suggest that we pull the fight to the Central Business District. The total area damaged would be reduced rather than to have fighting spread across the country and cause large scale damage. Seoul would be the main target while we move the inhabitants to other cities which also cover my second point of evacuation. We have deduced that he will initiate his plans on the first day of Seollal to mark the start of his so called new era which is really round the corner so we ask of you to cooperate with us and have your troops evacuate the city.'

'Why the city?' He asked, perplexed.

'It is denser and more concentrated which will be easier to keep track of the happenings. The skyscrapers can be used as vantage points to keep a look out as well.' 

'Is there nowhere else you can bring the fighting?' 

'Look, we didn't ask for this but if we don’t lure them here then the death toll would be higher. Would you rather pay for a small loss or a big loss? If you're worried about your pretty little house getting blown up then I think you should try removing your head from your dream and come back to real life.' Mina snapped her fingers in front of his face and he scowled. 'This isn't just some civil war; this could escalate to World War III. You are in no position to negotiate. This is the best that we can offer you. Think about your people first, money comes second. Will you work with us or not?' 

He buried his head in his hands and let out a deep sigh. Mina felt fold fingers curl around her wrist and she turned to Sana who was giving her the look. The pyrokinetic frowned but stepped back. 

'I will have my troops evacuate the city and assist you in repelling the attack. The marines will patrol the waters to make sure there aren't any sneak attacks and the air force will be ready to take out whatever you deem necessary.' He said after a long silence. 

'I would need you to do one last favour for me.' Sana said and the man cocked an eyebrow. 

'Contact the other countries and have them assemble a task force for mutants but secretly. There are a group that have information on prisons run by these rebels. If they can free them, their world domination plans will be foiled and the entire organization would be easier to shut down, minimizing the total damage.'

'Will do.'

'Thank you for your time. We will take our leave.' The pair bowed and exited the office. 

'Are you okay?' Sana touched Mina's arm when they got back into the car. 

'I guess.' 

'You were a cross between scary and cool back there.' Sana looked into Mina's eyes. The dark brown orbs were a pool of troubled emotions, far from the usual twinkling ones but considering the current situation, it was hard for anyone to still feel happy. 

'So you liked it?' Mina laughed weakly as she started the engine. 

'I-It was.. uh..' Sana stuttered at the statement and Mina finally let out a laugh. 

'Why are you so adorable?' Mina reached over and poked the girl's cheek. 

'I try.' Sana let out a relieved sigh under her breath. She had to admit, the sight of serious Mina was actually pretty darn attractive.

'I hope we will have some good news when we get back.' Mina said as she sped down the highway.

'I hope so too.'