-V-

Equilibrium

'Oh wow.' Jeongyeon's eyes widened as she looked at Dahyun. Everyone at the dinner table had their eyes fixated on her.

 

'Gah, stop looking. It's not as if you guys haven't seen me with orange hair before.' Dahyun lowered her head, slightly blushing from all the attention that was placed on her.

 

'Alright, alright that's enough.' Chaeyoung finally spoke, defending the embarrassed girl.

 

'Since when do we have hair dye? Wasn't there only bleach left? I thought we ran out a long time ago.' Momo asked. 

 

'I picked up some when we went to get groceries that day.' Chaeyoung said.

 

'Is there red?' Sana asked.

 

'Yea there is.' 

 

'Cool. I need a little bit of that.' 

 

'You're gonna dye it red?' Nayeon asked.

 

'Highlights.' 

 

'Sounds nice.' 

 

Dinner was Japanese cuisine prepared by Mina, Momo and Sana with a special dish each from their hometown; a bowl of Oyakodon each, Takoyaki, Kobe beef and Yudofu.

 

They ate and conversed excitedly about the camping trip for tomorrow. The cooks offered to wash up.

 

'Have an early night today; we'll be leaving at dawn tomorrow.' Jihyo reminded everyone before they returned to their rooms.

 

'How has your training been?' Momo asked as she blew the dishes dry. Mina had filled the sink with water and warmed it up and scrubbed them while Sana rinsed them off before Momo dried them, kind of like a manual dish washer but at least they could spend the time to talk to each other.

 

'It's been going good. Tzuyu said she wanted a two on two battle.'

 

'Us against you two?' 

 

'Yea.'

 

'Well that would be fun. How about after our little camping trip?' 

 

'Sounds like a plan.' Mina smiled as Momo placed the last bowl onto the rack. 

 

'C'mon, let's have a early night.' Momo slung her arms over the two girls and walked out of the kitchen. 

 

They bid each other good night and turned in for the night.

 

 


 

A rock was flying towards Mina who ducked but wasn't fast enough and the sharp edge grazed her cheek. She ducked behind a pillar and touched her cheek, scowling when she saw blood on her fingers. 

 

'Come out, coward. Or do you plan on hiding forever.' a man's voice taunted.

 

Before she could formulate a plan, a tentacle of water lashed out from the side of the pillar and was about to assault Mina when she created a shield of fire and rolled beneath the tentacle that smashed against the pillar and froze. 

 

She turned around and her eyes instantly widened as a figure clad in a black robe and hood raised his hand. Every piece of metal around him began to float effortlessly into the air and moulded into swords. Mina looked to her sides to find any possible route of escape but there was none. She was cornered.

 

'You can't run now.' he snarled and ed his hand forward, swords hurling towards her at speeds that she definitely cannot dodge. Mina fruitlessly moved her arms in a circular motion to create a shield of flame.

 

The tips of the blade emerged through the flames and pierced her arm.

 

Mina's eyes snapped open and she jolted awake, beads of sweat evident on her forehead. Her breaths were shallow and quick and her heart was palpitating. 

 

It was just a bad dream, she told herself, but a small part of her was saying that it might be an ominous foreboding of the future. She made a mental note to tell Jihyo about her dream. Maybe the telekinetic could make some sense of it. 

 

Feeling too afraid to go back to bed, she swung her legs out from under the covers and walked over to the window. She opened it and the cool autumn breeze wafted in. That made the girl feel slightly better but she could use a better view of the night sky. Back home, her favourite place was the little balcony. When she felt troubled, she would sit on the rocking chair out on the balcony and stare at the night sky. 

 

The twinkling stars and the sound of traffic in the background from the roads below brought comfort to her. There, she would collect her thoughts or just release her stress rather than crying. 

 

Mina closed the door gently behind her and looked around. It was almost three in the morning and all was still and quiet. 

 

She enters the small stairwell and climbs up to the roof top. The heavy metal door creaked on its hinges as Mina slipped through the gap, not forgetting to slip a brick to act as a door stopper incase it swung shut and locked her out. She didn't mind scaling the walls and getting back in her room through the window but it didn't seem like a wise idea considering the fact that she was in room slippers and would probably fall and break something. 

 

Mina leaned over the parapet and looked over the horizon. The building wasn't very tall but the view was still decent. The main roads and buildings could be seen near the horizon.

 

She shivered slightly when a slightly stronger cold breeze blew against her form. Mina sighed at herself for forgetting to take a jacket along but at least she was in a pullover. She warmed her hands with a small flame and crossed her arms. Mina couldn't help but let her thoughts drift back to her nightmare. 

 

What could that mean? If she didn't wake up, would she have died? Who was the masked man? Why was he out to kill her? And were those dead bodies lying around on the ground? 

 

Mina's head started to hurt from all the questions and possible answers. She was too tired to think. Then tears began to fall from her brown eyes. She always cried when she was stressed. If she was crying on the roof, it would only mean she has reached the end of her rope. She didn't even know why she was crying. Perhaps it was because of the stress, or that she really missed her parents who would embrace her and reassure her that everything was okay after she had a bad dream. 

 

The pyrokinetic dropped her head into her arms that were still crossed, resting on the parapet and sobbed in silence.

 

Mina was awake two hours later, looking at the ceiling of her room. She sat up with a pounding feeling in her bead and looked around, feeling slightly confused. Must have stumbled back in a haze, she told herself. 

 

Sunrise would be in an hour or so she went to wash up and get ready. 

 

Walking out of the bathroom, she placed the last of her belongings into the duffel bag and zipped it up before heading downstairs to the dining room. 

 

When she got down, she saw a couple of bags dumped at the centre of the atrium. Mina unshouldered her bag and placed it down before walking to meet with the rest who were awake. 

 

'Oh Mina, you're awake.' Jihyo gave an affable smile as she placed a plate of warm scrambled eggs and toast down on the table.

 

'Yeah. Where are the rest? I saw some bags at the atrium.' Mina asked as she slid into the chair beside Jihyo.

 

'Jeongyeon is waking Momo up and Nayeon is outside preparing the car.' Jihyo said, forking a small piece of egg white into . 

 

'I.. have something to tell you.' Mina started. Jihyo looked at her with worried eyes and Mina guessed the girl knew what was coming. 'I had a dream.' Jihyo nodded. 'There was this man in a mask that was out to kill me. He had manipulated metal objects and turned them into swords to hurl at me.' 

 

'A metal manipulator? Metal stems from geokinesis.. Like Jeongyeon.' Jihyo frowned slightly in thought.

 

'I was thinking that maybe you could help me figure out what this means? Could this be a foreboding for something?' 

 

'Perhaps, but I wouldn't say it is true. Dreams usually let us peek into the future but not all of it is accurate. Don't think too much about it but I will certainly keep it in mind, just in case.' Jihyo reached across the table and patted Mina's hand. 

 

'The cars are ready. Who's driving today?' Nayeon said as she walked into the dining room, jacket slung over her arm. The older girl smiled when she saw Mina. 'Morning.' 

 

'Morning.' Mina nodded. 

 

'We'll see how it goes later, I'm sure some people would fight for shotgun.' Jihyo chuckled. 

 

The rest of the girls filed into the dining room one by one and soon they were all set to go. They split into two groups and loaded the bags into the trunk and got into their respective cars. Jeongyeon and Nayeon were the first drivers of the day. 

 

The engine of their Range Rover rumbled to life, a small puff of smoke escaped from the exhaust and they pulled out of the garage, rocks crunching beneath the weight of the car as it advanced. 

 

'So we'll take a scenic drive down to Suwon where we will visit the Hwaseong Fortress and Gwanggyosan.' Jeongyeon said in a tour guide tone. 

 

They popped in a classical CD and before long, half the people in Mina's car was knocked out by the rocking of the vehicle and soothing music, all except Sana, herself and Jeongyeon of course. 

 

'Hey.' Mina whispered to the girl who was looking out of the window. 

 

'You're not sleeping?' Sana asked, looking at Momo whose head was lulling with the bumps of the car in the front seat and Tzuyu who was sleeping in her oddly upright posture. 

 

'Nah.. You?' 

 

'Maybe in a bit.' Sana turned to face Mina.

 

'Is that.. red in your hair?' the younger girl squinted at Sana's hair which was draped over the girl’s shoulders.

 

'Yea, I dyed it last night. Didn't take too long since it's just highlights.' Sana explained, touching her red clumps of hair.

 

'It actually looks good on you.' Mina complimented and her partner smiled. 

 

'Thanks.' 

 

Silence fell back in the car and Sana slowly drifted off to sleep, head leaning against the window. 

 

'You could sleep if you want.' Jeongyeon said softly to Mina while glancing in the rear view mirror.

 

'It's okay. I can accompany you and make sure you don’t fall asleep.' Mina joked and Jeongyeon grinned.

 

The other car was the total opposite. Dahyun had hooked her phone to the AUX cord and was jamming to hip hop along with the rest of the girls. Thank god for the quality suspensions or the vehicle might just end up bouncing down the road.

 

With one side sound asleep and the other busy partying, no one noticed the black car that had been tailing them for the past five minutes turn off the highway to head back to base.

 


 

There was a knock on the door before it opened, revealing a guard clad in uniform; royal purple robes with gold cuffs and a gold badge with the hunter's insignia on the chest. He walked down the carpeted isle and bowed before speaking. 

 

'Sir, they have left the academy and are on a.. road trip right now. What should we do?' 

 

'Gather a group of men and beast. I want you to infiltrate the mansion and destroy it.' the leader said after a brief silence. 

 

'As you wish.' he bowed once more before leaving. 

 

'Road trip hmm. Let's see how much more you can enjoy before I pick you off. One by one.' his cold and unfeeling eyes narrowed behind his mask. 'This is only the beginning.' 

 

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

 

The rebel mutants arrived at dusk, a group of five riding on a hellhound each stopped just outside the gate. 

 

'We'll start from the top. Make it cave in and get out of here.' Their commander said.

 

'Would they really leave this place unguarded? I feel like something is off..' one of the rebel said.

 

'Trial by fire. It's what these are for anyway.' the commander patted the heavy vest. 'Besides, the alchemists have given us the potion to make us invulnerable to whatever that is tossed at us. If we keep wasting time out here it will wear off, then we'll never get out of here alive. Now quit yapping and start moving.' he barked and they raced through the woods at full speed. 

 

Pulling on the reins, the hounds jumped, only to be hit back by the force field. They fell to the ground. 

 

'What was that?' one of the men asked, rubbing his arm. 

 

'Some sort of force field. We'll never get through. Not to worry, we'll just leave a message.' the commander smirked.

 

They moved a giant boulder to the front of the gates and carved a message. 

 

'Let's go. We need to report back to big boss.'