-XVI-

Equilibrium

D-1

 

'Alright guys, gather around.' Jihyo ordered. 'The city has been evacuated and the military is set to go; the president has just informed me. No one knows for sure exactly what time they will strike tomorrow so we will have to position ourselves in the city tonight at midnight to standby. We'll split into four pairs with one group of three members and keep an eye out. Use the skyscrapers as a vantage point to look over the city.'

'When will the troops be entering? When the sun rises? Wouldn't they be spotted easily?' Mina asked.

'They'll probably be preparing by sunrise and enter as soon as they can so we'll have to make sure them along with all their ammunition and equipment enter without a problem.' Jihyo circled the roads leading into the city.

'Shouldn't we go lone wolf? There are too many entrances.' Sana pointed out and the multiple roads highlighted with a red marker.

'That's what the common mutants are for. They'll be helping us to keep a look out as well. We'll have to be more alert since we have a bigger role to play. Can't die or get injured before the battle even starts can we?'

'You have a point. So we'll have to keep a look out till the troops arrive. What if he strikes before that?' Jeongyeon asked.

'Then we'll have to hold them back for as long as they can. Our main area of protection is the Blue House. That's like our king. If he manages to get in, that's checkmate for us.' Jihyo tapped on the location of the said building on the map.

'Then we should station ourselves near the top part of Seoul?'

'Ideally, yes. But these are tentative plans. Our movement will all revolve around his movement. If he goes, we go. Wherever he is, we'll have to counter.'

'So we're basically going in blind?' Chaeyoung asked.

'Yes. Nothing to fear, we trained for this. We prepared for this. We're basically around because of this. This is our job now.' Jihyo said in such an appealing tone that everyone was swayed. Her confidence and determination was almost able to wash away their hesitance and uncertainty. Almost.

'One last day of training? Then we'll have a early dinner and turn in for the night.' Nayeon suggested.

'Fighting!' They cheered before splitting up.

 


 

Dahyun ducked a ball of flames as she swung her wooden stick at her attacker. Just as she pulled back, an icicle was flung her way and she let herself fall before flipping over and flying straight for the fire user. She tackled the girl and the two went spiralling out of the sky. A wave of water was raised and instantly frozen, letting the two figures slide down and land safely on the grass.

'You're crazy.' Mina said as she got up.

'Crazy is what keeps me alive.' Dahyun grinned as she swung her weapon at Mina who caught it and burned it.

'Aw.' Dahyun pouted at the end of her stick which was now charred.

'See ya.' Mina said and zipped up into the sky.

'Wha-oof!' Dahyun turned around to get knocked over by a huge slab of rock. She rolled away and quickly flew into the sky.

A tentacle of water wrapped around Jeongyeon's waist and the rock fell to the ground with a huge crash but the liquid was frozen and shattered before the shards reformed into multiple blunt spears and rained down on the open field.

Sana was quickly immobilized by Jihyo but the girl was teleported away to the top of a tree and was hung upside down from a branch. Before Nayeon could declare herself the victor, Mina had flew back down and crashed into her, sending them both rolling on the ground.

The open field was suddenly surrounded by a thick and dense fog that reminded them very much of the horrifying forest experience but it didn't last long. The water vapour had collected into a ball and was directed into the ground where it was immediately absorbed by the soil.

'Ugh.' Momo grunted.

Sana had tried to freeze Momo but a portal opened just in front of the blast and it was repositioned to end up between the two girls and they were knocked to the ground.

'Curse you, Minatozaki!' Momo said with clenched teeth as the two of them lay on the ground, frozen.

'How would I know that was coming?' Sana shot back and wiggled around.'

Tzuyu shot a tentacle at Nayeon but that too was relocated and it ended up hitting Dahyun in the stomach.

'Sorry unnie!' Tzuyu called out but was knocked down by Dahyun's stick which was teleported above Tzuyu.

Jeongyeon who was about to create a mini earthquake was stopped by Jihyo and the girl made her lie on the ground instead.

'It's just you, me and Jihyo!' Mina shouted as she kept her distance from Nayeon. Jihyo had untangled herself from the branches and was standing equidistant from the other two girls. Their triangular formation looked very much like a three way Mexican standoff.

'Nah, it's just me and Jihyo.' Nayeon said as she tossed a small rock and teleported it behind Mina's knee, making the girl collapse to the ground. 'Simple but deadly.' Nayeon smiled and the pyrokinetic rolled her eyes.

'You're going to take me down like that?' Jihyo laughed when Nayeon turned towards her.

'You'll turn my attack on me or stop me with the snap of your fingers.' Nayeon scoffed.

'I'll go easy on you. Come on.' Jihyo gave her girlfriend a toothy grin and bounced on her feet.

'Close range?' Nayeon slowly approached the younger girl.

'Of course.' Jihyo replied and threw a hook punch. Nayeon ducked and tried a heel rake but the girl jumped and did a spinning roundhouse, heel just missing the top of Nayeon's head.

'Merciless eh?' Nayeon smirked, bringing her hand down in a fake knife hand only to take Jihyo by surprise with an inside shuto, causing the girl to stumble back. Jihyo wasn't backing down just yet and delivered several jabs before spinning around and finishing with an axe kick which almost caught Nayeon in the head. She lunged forward with another jab but Nayeon pulled her by the wrist and hooked a leg around Jihyo's, pushing her weight on the girl and knocking her off balance.

They fell to the floor with Nayeon landing on top of the telekinetic but they started laughing.

'Nice footwork there.' Jihyo looked into Nayeon's eyes.

'Not too bad yourself leader-nim. You're pretty lithe yourself.' Nayeon returned the gentle gaze.

'Ugh, lovebirds.' Mina feigned a puking sound as she pulled Sana up and warmed her hands.

'Any casualties?' Chaeyoung called out from the side-lines.

'Me! Oh I'm so hurt! I'm very, very hurt!' Dahyun's hand was the first one up in the air as shegroaned in exaggerated pain. Chaeyoung strolled over with her hands in her pocket and bent down.

'You're always hurt whenever I’m around.' The healer ruffled Dahyun's hair before she walked off to help Tzuyu prevent a bump from forming at the top of her head.

'Nice job everyone. Now that we're all sparred out, it's time to have a feast!' Jihyo announced happily and herded everyone back inside.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

 

A feast fit for a king was whipped up by Jeongyeon with the help of Jihyo, Tzuyu and Mina.

'You can't even hold a knife the right way! Just go and relax till dinner is ready!' Jeongyeon told Nayeon who had volunteered to help out in the kitchen after everyone had washed up.

'Kimbap made my our dear Tzuyu, pasta by Mina, all the jokbal that we have left, a bit of bibimbap, authentic kimchi by kimchihyo and lastly, bulgogi.' Jeongyeon introduced the dishes before sitting down.

'Can we even move after eating all these?' Sana laughed as she picked up her chopsticks.

'We deserve a treat after our hard work.' Jeongyeon brushed her off and they dug in despite it being only 5 pm. Dinner passed like any other dinner, almost as if they didn't have anything to worry about, except today they did.

'Good night everyone. Sleep well; we'll wake at 11 pm okay?' Jihyo waved at the members who slowly filtered out of the kitchen, blabbering about how they felt so full they were going to explode.

Maybe this was all a bad dream and they would wake up to find that everything was peaceful. Maybe.

 


 

D-Day

 

The nine girls had gathered at the atrium, all dressed in their black suits. This was Mina's first real mission and it might be the last but she wasn't going to let her nerves get the better of her. She knows her strengths and weaknesses. She will get through this. They would all get through this.

Sana had a scabbard slung over her shoulder and the hilt of the sword could be seen just behind her shoulder. Jihyo was holding the silver briefcase in hand and opened it, distributing the syringes and needles to each member.

'Ready to go?' Jihyo asked when everyone had secured the shot in their jacket. Rather than a car which would be too obvious, they opted to teleport as usual.

The streets were silent and dark. Seoul city, once a bustling business district area had become nothing more than a thing of the past. The sounds of vehicles and humans going about in their daily lives even at night was now gone; replaced by an eerie silence similar to that at a graveyard. You couldn't help but feel lost in the city now, even if you knew exactly where you were.

'Feels terrible.' Tzuyu stated blandly. Despite having said that very softly, everyone heard it clearly. That was how quiet the entire area had become. A strong sense of kenopsia overwhelmed them as they walked down the street.

There were a few shadowy figures around the darkness that seemed to be watching them.

'Relax, it's us.' Jihyo said and the figures revealed themselves.

'I suppose these are our extra assistance?' Mina asked as she looked at them. It was a small group of maybe thirty to forty of them. Just like Jihyo had said, nothing much.

'We are. I'm SungJin, in-charge of the other mutants. It’s a pleasure to be working with you and your group.' SungJin bowed and they all mirrored his actions.

'It's a relief to receive all the help we can get. How many mutants are here exactly?' Jihyo asked.

'Forty two.'

 

'Splendid. Just split up into eight groups and position yourselves in all directions. The extra two will go up to the north and northwest since the Blue House is there. In case Zafir decides to target that instead of the city area.'

'Got it.' SungJin said and the rest of the mutants under his lead began to split into groups.

'Move out when you're ready, we'll be doing the same as well.' Jihyo instructed and they split up, moving for their positions.

'Time to be badass huh?' Mina said softly as they walked behind the group of mutants.

'Maybe this will be like a lucky charm for me.' Sana smiled lightly as she looked at Mina. Sana was internally dying at how attractive Mina sounded whenever she spoke softly. The girl's slightly husky dulcet tone always had the ability to drive Sana crazy but she always played it cool. Boy was she crazy in love.

'C'mon, let's go up there.' Mina took Sana by the hand and pulled her towards a building. 'We'll go up for a better view.' Mina told the group before she led Sana into the dark building. A small flame came to life in Mina's palm, illuminating the lobby in a warm glow. It also provided them some warmth from the cold since the heaters weren't on.

'Guess we'll have to take the stairs.' Sana said, seeing that the lifts weren't in operation. The girl pushed the door to the stairwell open and began to climb when Mina caught her wrist.

'Are you seriously going to climb up forty stories?' Mina asked incredulously.

'Yes?' Sana tilted her head.

Mina let out a soft scoff and wrapped her arms around Sana's waist.

'What are you doing?' Sana asked, heat rising to her face.

'I'm turning an hour journey up the stairs into a thirty second one, that's what I'm doing.' Mina grinned and easily carried Sana off the first step, walking to the middle of the stairs where they could see the very top. 'Better hold on.' And Sana's arms instantly wrapped around Mina's neck.

They shot up the centre of the stairwell and landed on the highest floor. Mina broke the lock and they went up to the roof.

'This would be romantic if everything wasn't shrouded in darkness.' Sana chuckled.

'At least we can star gaze in peace.' Mina jumped up on the parapet and swung her legs over to dangle them off the building. Sana carefully climbed up to join the girl while Mina held her hand to make sure she didn't fall.

'Do you know the different constellations?' Mina asked as she looked up to the many stars that were dusted across the night sky.

'I never actually star gazed before.' Sana admitted shyly.

'It's okay. I'll show you.' Mina smiled and Sana was pretty sure she fell even deeper for Mina if that was even possible. The younger girl looked at the stars for a moment.

'Follow my finger.' Mina pointed at the sky and traced out a triangle shaped constellation.

'What's that?' Sana asked.

'It's the sign of Capricorn. This is Aries.' Mina said and traced something that looked like a short line that was bent at the edge.

'Anything I should know about the two signs?' Sana asked as she rested her head on Mina's shoulder.

'The two signs get along very well and they'll live happily ever after.' Mina said and Sana laughed. Happily ever after sounds perfect.

 

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

 

The sun had peeped over the horizon but so far it was still quiet with no sign of Zafir or his army.

'We've been on watch for almost 5 hours. Are they coming at all?' Tzuyu asked no one in particular. The youngest had followed Jihyo and Nayeon to the north to watch over the Blue House.

'We'll just have to keep waiting. He will have to come around sooner or later. You need another hot pack?' Jihyo offered one to Tzuyu who took it with a nod of her head.

The first rays of sunlight shone through the buildings, bringing warmth and light to the cold and dark streets.

Birds began to chirp and somehow the eerie atmosphere was slightly lifted.

Another hour passed but there was no sign of anyone entering the city.

'Aren't the troops supposed to arrive by now?' Nayeon asked Jihyo.

'Stay here, I'll go to the president's office for a little while.' Jihyo said.

'Isn't he already somewhere safe?' Nayeon asked, confused.

'Yes but I will give him a call to ask what's going on.' Jihyo said and pursed her lips before running off.

The courtyard was empty and not a single official was in sight. The telekinetic ran towards the main building and walked to the president's office. She let herself into the luxurious office and sat down on his chair.

'My dream is fulfilled.' She chuckled to herself. Picking up the phone, she dialled the president's private phone number which he had given her the last time they had a connection.

'Hello?' The president's voice sounded over the receiver after three rings.

'Mr. Shim? It's Park Jihyo.' She smiled.

'Jihyo! Just the person I was looking for!' He exclaimed and the smile slipped off Jihyo's face.

'What's wrong?' She asked.

'Have you seen it yet?'

'No? Seen what? What am I supposed to see?'

'The roads have melted!'

'The roads have what?' Jihyo shot up from the chair and looked out of the window. She couldn't see anything but she could hear a loud rumble coming from outside. 'What is going on?'

'That's what I was going to ask you!' He yelled over the phone. 'The land troops have no other way in!'

Just then, Nayeon materialized in the room with a look of panic on her face.

'Jihyo, the roads are totally consumed by lava. I think it's the work of geokinetics. Every entrance is destroyed. I've checked. They're surrounding the city in a lava moat.' Nayeon explained.

'What?' Jihyo's eyes widened. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. 'Any sign of those people?'

'No. They must be either in hiding or doing it from a distance.'

'Jihyo?' The president asked.

'Yes?'

'There's only one way that the troops can enter the city but I will need one of your strongest mutants to help me.' He said, sounding a little unsure.

'What is it?'

'Military drop.'

'What!' Jihyo exclaimed. That was the third shock she got in the past 3 minutes.

'It's our only option! Send whoever it is to Camp Casey, 40 miles north of Seoul as soon as you can. We need some protection as we go down in case they shoot us down from the sky.' He ordered.

'Yes Mr. Shim. Right away.' Jihyo said and hung up. She looked at Nayeon for a full minute in silence before she gave her instruction.

'Get Mina and send her to Camp Casey. They're going to have her protect the troops for an airdrop.'

'Airdrop?' Nayeon asked in disbelief.

'It's their only way of entry to the city. Quick go, and stay with Sana when you get back.' Jihyo said and Nayeon disappeared instantly.

'Mina!' Nayeon shouted at the two figures on the parapet and they almost fell over if Nayeon hadn't saved them.

'Geez, what's wrong?' Mina asked.

'You need to come with me. I'll explain the way. Sana, stay here, I'll be back.'

'O-okay.' Sana said and looked nervously at Mina.

'I'll be fine. Stay safe.' Mina smiled before disappearing with Nayeon. They materialized at a military base and Mina was thoroughly confused.

'Wha? Why are we here? Is this a military base?' Mina asked, looking around at the army personnel who were running about in full gear.

'They will explain more.' Nayeon pulled Mina towards a man in a suit.

'Mr. Shim?' Mina asked as they approached the man.

'Mina. As you have seen, the city is surrounded by a lava moat and there's no way the land troops can get through. Our only option is to do an airdrop but for fear of being shot out of the sky, we need your help. You will protect the troops as they descend into the city.' He explained.

'Sure, which tower should I standby on?' Mina asked.

'You'll be jumping with them.'

'Wait what? Me. Jump off a plane at 12000 feet?' Mina jabbed at her own chest with an incredulous look on her face. She would have let out a huge laugh if the president's face wasn't a look of absolute seriousness.

'Yes.'

'You got to be kidding me?' Her jaw dropped.

'We don't have a choice! Do you think we want this? We would have taken the easier way if it wasn't for those damned rebels! Go meet that commander. He will brief you more.' He pointed at a man in aviators standing beside a C-130 with his arms crossed.

'I have to get back to Sana. Stay safe Mina.' Nayeon said and hugged Mina before she left.

Mina frowned and walked towards the man.

'You must be our protection. I'm HyungJoon. Pleasure to be working with you.' He bowed and Mina bowed back.

'Myoui Mina. So what do I do exactly?' She asked and looked at the men loading cargo onto the plane.

'First, you'll be wearing this wingsuit and this parachute and this helmet. Keep your arms and legs tight when you jump then spread to get lift and steer. Pull the tab to release the chutes and steer to land. Got it?' He asked as he held up the parachute and wingsuit.

'Seems easy enough.' Mina said and took the suit. She slipped it over the academy's uniform and fastened the buckles over her chest and waist.

'We're all set sir.' A soldier reported before boarding the plane.

'Get on kid. We're going.' He said and placed a hand on her shoulder, guiding her onto the plane. She sat down on the last seat as the cargo door closed.

 


 

'Incoming! Incoming!' Several mutants shouted as they saw the first signs of the army.

A huge explosion erupted from the west as a building burst into flames followed by multiple explosions which rattled through the city as the bridges along the Han river exploded, sending dust and debris into the air.

'What the ?' Jeongyeon exclaimed as she got ready.

Portals opened and waves of undead surged into the city. A beam of light shot up into the sky from the centre of the city before it faded.

'The hell was that?' Dahyun asked.

'No time to find out. Fight first.' Chaeyoung pointed at an incoming wave of undead.

'I thought we were facing more mutants than undead!' Dahyun yelled as she whacked one on the head with a pole she yanked out from some metal scaffolding.

'Guess we're wrong!' Chaeyoung said as she stabbed her own metal pole through the chest of another.

There were multiple explosions that resounded through the city and the sound of glass shattering seemed to come from all around.

Taking the air out of their lungs wouldn't work since they were dead so Momo had no choice but to either expand the air within their lungs to explode them or stab them with projectiles. Tzuyu had drew water from the river and flushed it down the streets before picking up the entire trail of undead like they were ants and forced the water into their systems till they exploded before shooting them far away.

'There's too many! When is the army coming?' SungJin shouted as he drew the souls out of the undead and they began to collapse.

'I don't know but it should be soon!' Nayeon shouted as she threw a portal at a lunging undead behind SungJin to change its course and it smashed face first into a building.

'At least these things are easy to kill.' He grimaced.

'Let's not speak too soon.' Nayeon said before she teleported off back to Sana.