Backstory: The College Friend Experience

War and Peace

Eunwoo and Soohee were walking to class together when they heard a familiar voice screaming their names. The pair stopped and looked at each other with amusement and embarrassment written all over their faces, knowing exactly who the person was: Yoo Kihyun.

Kihyun caught up to the two and bent over panting, tired from running to catch up to them. He lifted his head up and smiled, breathing out a, "Hey guys. Wow, I need to exercise more or something."

Eunwoo laughed while Soohee made an amused grin before responding sarcastically to the boy, "Yes, you of all people need to exercise more because you're the most unathletic person in the world." She looked him up and down, noting how actually very lean and fit he was, but made fun of him anyway.

Kihyun, standing up straight at this point, put a hand over his chest and made a very audible and joking gasp noise before saying, "Excuse me, miss 'hasn't run a mile in two years', for being a little out of breath after sprinting all the way over here!"

The three all looked at each other before bursting into laughter at how silly they all were. Kihyun then hooked his arms between Eunwoo and Soohee's and marched them all to their class. Since it was college, the trio had planned their schedule out so they could have the maximum amount of classes together as possible. It was hard to not catch them all together since it seemed like they traveled as a package. Where one went, the others followed--aside from the obvious places such as the bathroom and certain stores at the mall

They reached their class and sat down in their seats near the back of the room, waiting for the professor and the other students to arrive. While Eunwoo and Kihyun were talking about something, Soohee took this chance to daydream again (something she often did since reality wasn't her favorite place to be all the time), this time reminiscing of the time she met Kihyun.

~

Soohee stood in front of the door to her class and took a deep breath. This was the first day of school in her first year of college. She was excited but also scared since this class just so happened to be the class she was horrible at: Chemistry. Eunwoo took the AP test back in high school and got a 5, meaning he didn't have to take the class in college. Meaning Soohee, who also took the AP test and got a 2, would have to take the course by herself without her best friend. 

The stupid, but trying to be nice, boy offered to take the class anyway with her, but she knew it would just be a waste of his time and she probably needed to learn how to make friends anyway. He looked a little unhappy when she said she would be okay with taking the class alone, but agreed nonetheless.

She hoisted her backpack higher up on her back, held her binder and book close to her chest, and slid the door open, hoping no one would be inside when she walked in. She wasn't one to make conversation or friends on her own very easily. Even though she said she wanted to make friends, it didn't exactly mean she would actually go through the effort to make new friends. Putting yourself out there is hard.

She peeked inside and saw no one, silently cheering in her head and heading inside to the back of the room. As she was walking, she silently scanned the room. She noticed the classroom was set up so there were two seats per table, with a sink separating two tables, and chemistry things like Benson-burners and beakers settled on a long table against the wall of the back of the classroom. 

She took a seat at the table in the back right corner and breathed out the breath she didn't realize she was holding. She then plugged her earphones in and started listening to music to pass the time. It was 7:45 AM and her class didn't start until 8, but she figured it was better to be early and wait than be on time and have a bunch of eyes on her as she walked in and past people--strangers she didn't know.

As time went on and more people filed into the simple General Education (GE) class, Soohee dozed off farther into dreamland with her head propped up and laying comfortably on her hand. She hadn't slept well that night since she was so excited for her first day of college.

It wasn't until she heard a small clapping sound that she woke up and saw the professor standing at the front of the classroom. She also noticed someone was sitting next to her at the table and she frowned a little. No one usually sits next to her, especially on purpose. She looked around and noticed every seat was taken, so she assumed the person came in late or something and had no choice but to sit there.

The professor then started talking, "Hello class, welcome to Chemistry 120. This is the basic GE Chemistry class for all majors. My name is Professor Lim. If you are in the wrong class, classroom, or here at the wrong time, please, well, check your schedules. If you are on the waitlist and wish to be in this class, please come up to the front row and we will talk about your chances of getting in. Let's do that now."

Soohee watched as three people, including the person sitting next to her, stood up and went to talk to the professor about joining the class. She sat there with nothing to do as he was talking to the people and sighed in relief when they were starting to come back.

Two of the three people sat down almost immediately, having their seats in the front. The last person continued walking and Soohee noticed it was a guy. A really handsome guy. And he was walking toward her. 

*Wait a second...is he the person who's been sitting next to me this whole time??* Soohee thought to herself. She looked up and they had eye contact. Soohee blushed a little and quickly looked away while the boy smiled a little at his shy seat partner.

Soohee tried to keep her focus looking straight while the boy took occasional glances at her. The professor then continued, "Okay, now that we have that settled, why don't we go through the list of people to make sure everyone who is enrolled is here and what-not."

The professor went through the list of people's names in alphabetical order by last name. Soohee was always last, if not, around the last because her last name started with a Y. She waited patiently until he finally got to her name, "Yoon Soohee."

She raised her hand and quietly replied, "Here." The boy sitting next to her smiled to himself after hearing her name.

The professor looked through the list before saying, "Alright, class. So welcome to Chemis--wait, I already said that." The class laughed a little and the professor smiled, continuing, "Hm, well why don't we try some icebreakers then?"

The class replied, "Yes," and the professor nodded before saying, "Okay, let's do this. You guys all have a seat partner, yes?" 

The class replied with another, "Yes," letting the professor say, "Right. Go ahead and find out the name of your seat partner, where they come from, uhhh year, major, and one interesting fact, yea? Let's start."

The whole class immediately burst into sounds of people talking and laughing. Soohee, on the other hand, dreaded this moment. She was never big on icebreakers. Thankfully, she didn't have to do much work since her seat partner turned to her and spoke first.

"Hey, my name is Yoo Kihyun. And you're Yoon Soohee, right?" he said.

Shocked that he remembered her name without introducing herself, she merely nodded and mustered up a soft, "Yes."

Kihyun smiled and put his hand out, meaning to shake hands as a greeting. Soohee stared at the boy's hand before slowly putting hers in his, which was notably bigger and quite warm. They shook hands and Soohee felt...not uncomfortable. 

They went through the introductory questions with ease and he actually was able to make her laugh a little. Kihyun cherished the way her laugh sounded. Soohee loved his smile.

Pretty soon the class ended and both Soohee and Kihyun were kind of sad to have to leave.

However, as Soohee stood up, Kihyun said, "Wait!" Soohee stopped and looked at the boy who looked a little desperate. 

"Can I...can we be friends?" Kihyun asked, his cheeks burning up a little. 

Soohee stood there shocked, not expecting that. She, however, wasn't opposed and smiled. Instead of replying, though, she took Kihyun's hand and dragged him out of the classroom. Kihyun just obeyed, unsure of what was going on but was mentally occupied around the fact that she was holding his hand. 

She walked out of the building and toward a tall boy standing next to a light pole. She went straight to the boy and gave him a hug before turning to look at Kihyun and introducing him to the tall boy. 

"Kihyun, this is Eunwoo. He's my best friend since elementary school. He's our age and year. Well, actually, just same year, since he's already 18 and we're still 17," Soohee said, pouting at the last part. 

Soohee then turned to Eunwoo and said, "And this is Kihyun. He's in my chemistry class and," she got eye contact with Kihyun and smiled while saying, "he's my new friend." Kihyun smiled back and the day continued with everyone getting to know each other. 

~

"Soohee~" said Eunwoo, gently shaking her shoulder. 

Blinking her eyes trying to figure out what was going on, she asked, "W-What's happening? What's going on?"

Kihyun burst into laughter at how lost Soohee looked while Eunwoo chuckled, saying, "Class is about to begin. You were daydreaming again."

Soohee frowned at Kihyun who was laughing and slapped him on his thigh, then pinching Eunwoo's cheek for laughing at Kihyun. After some more jokes and laughter, the three settled in and prepared for class. Today seemed like another good day for the trio.

 

-----

Backstory to Kihyun!! They (You and Kihyun) only met first year of college and I guess we'll put this as their fourth year in college, so they've been friends for a while now! Let's see how it all plays out, yea? Thank you for reading! Please comment and subscribe ^^