Backstory: Best Friends Since Elementary School

War and Peace

"Annyeonghaseyo!" Mrs. Park said.

"Annyeonghaseyo Park seonsaengnim!!" replied her kindergarden class.

Mrs. Park smiled at her enthusiastic class. Today was the first day of school and everyone was excited to learn.

"Okay class, welcome to kindergarden! As you know, my name is Mrs. Park. What we're going to do now is go around the classroom and introduce ourselves, okay? Say your name, age, and favorite...ice cream flavor! Now, everyone come sit in a circle and stand up when it's your turn," Mrs. Park instructed.

All the small children got up from their desks to sit in a circle next to their teacher. 

"Now, do we have any volunteers to go first?" Mrs. Park asked.

Immediately, a small boy shot his hand up, sitting a few people away from Mrs. Park's left. He stood up as tall as a 5 year old could and started, "Hello, my name is Cha Eunwoo. I'm 5 years old and my favorite ice cream is vanilla! Pleased to meet you all." He then bowed and sat down. He exhaled as if he had been holding his breath and thought to himself it was smart that he went first and got it over with.

Mrs. Park smiled and said, "Thank you, Eunwoo. Why don't we move this way, so next will be you, miss." She indicated moving around to her right, then pointing to the little girl sitting to Eunwoo's left. 

The girl felt shy and slowly stood up.

"H-Hello," she started, "My name is Yoon Soohee. I am 4 years old and my favorite ice cream flavor is also vanilla. Nice to meet you." She kept her eyes looking down the whole time and did a 90 degrees bow before quickly taking a seat. 

They continued on, with the children happily introducing themselves to their classmates and future friends. 

After the last kid sat down, Mrs. Park said, "Okay! Now that we all know each other's names, in order to help you guys and myself to remember all your names, we're going to play a game!" The class all said their "yays" and clapped in excitement. 

"So the game is this: you have to say the name of the person to your left and then, when it comes to the first person who went, we'll switch and you'll have to say the name of the person on your right. Does that make sense?" Mrs. Park said. 

The whole class replied, "Yes, Mrs. Park" in unison and quickly went to work on asking the people on their sides for their names. 

After some time, Mrs. Park clapped her hands and said, "Okay, class! Are you guys ready?" Once again, a unison "yes" was heard. 

"Why don't we start with our volunteer, Eunwoo?" Mrs. Park suggested, turning to look at the said boy. "So, Eunwoo, say the name of the person to your left and then that person will say the name of the person to their left, so on and so on. Go ahead!" Mrs. Park said.

"Yes, Mrs. Park." he kindly replied. "This is Yoon Soohee!" he said. Soohee blushed a little when she heard her name come from the boy to her right.

"Okay, Soohee, who is on your left?" Mrs. Park asked. Soohee quietly replied with the kid's name and the game continued on until it reached Eunwoo once more. 

"Okay so now, Eunwoo, please introduce the person on your right," said Mrs. Park. Eunwoo did as instructed, and again the game continued. 

It came around to Soohee, and she, without looking at anyone, said, "This is Cha Eunwoo." Eunwoo smiled at hearing his name come from the girl.

The game ended and it was already time for first break. The kids all got up and went out to the back door where a gated playground was located. Mrs. Park put out some snacks for the kids and monitored her class. 

Soohee went to her backpack and pulled out a book, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." She sat down at her desk instead of going outside to play because she preferred reading.

She was getting immersed into the magic of the wizard world when she felt someone's presence nearby. She looked to her right and saw the boy, Eunwoo standing and reading as well. He stopped reading when he noticed that someone's eyes was on him. He turned and they held eye contact before Eunwoo smiled and Soohee looked away. 

Eunwoo said, "Hi! I'm Eunwoo. I was sitting next to you earlier. Do you like reading?"

Soohee was shy and replied, "Hello, I'm Soohee. Yea, I like reading."

Eunwoo smiled and said, "Me too! Is this your first time reading Harry Potter?"

"Yea, my older brother told me that a lot of people thought it was pretty good so he got it for me for Christmas," she said.

"That's great! My mom read it to me first and then I read the whole series. It's really good!" he replied.

"I'll look forward to reading it then," she said before turning back to continue reading.

Eunwoo then said, "Let's be friends!!"

Shocked, Soohee nodded, and then smiled. "Okay, let's be friends," she said, thinking to herself that kindergarden wouldn't be too bad with a friend. She didn't think she would be able to make friends and here she was, with her very first friend. 

Both of them smiled at each other and she let Eunwoo read with her. 

~

"Soohee!!" Eunwoo yelled, waving his hands while running to the girl.

Soohee woke up from her reminiscing of the past to see a tall, handsome boy standing in front of her. She blinked a couple of times before recognizing Eunwoo, her best friend since elementary school.

The said boy smiled his infamous eye-smile at her before saying, "Daydreaming again, hm?"

Soohee blushed a little and made a small smile, noting how his smile never failed to make her smile as well, before replying, "Just a little. I was remembering our first day of kindergarden when we first met. That's one of my best memories."

"Awww someone loves meee," Eunwoo cheekily said while hugging her.

Rolling her eyes, she pushed herself off (slightly unwillingly) and slapped his arm jokingly, saying, "Please, don't flatter yourself."

He pouted and was sulking before she linked her arm with his, saying, "Come on you big baby, or we'll be late for class."

The two walked into school and the day already seemed to be pretty good.

 

-----

First chapter!! Backstory to present, how Eunwoo and Soohee (or, you) met! Please comment and subscribe ^^ Thanks for reading!