IV. The Beginning

The Cupid Tragedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The discovery of two broken arrows remained on the back of Jinho and Hui’s minds as they continued to struggle through the first few days of being humans. Whilst Jinho was actively thinking about the explanation behind the occurrence, Hui was focused on another issue.

During an English class, he spent the entirety of his time watching Changgu and Yan An who conveniently sat in front of him. Yan An would occasionally sneak glances at Changgu with adoring eyes from the side but would quickly look away when Changgu moved even the slightest. Changgu did the exact same, admiring Yan An from his own seat but shying away every time it seemed Yan An was going to look up. They were a classic example of the type of cases Cupids hated coming across the most. Whilst the Cupids’ arrow control the direction and flow of love, they don’t have much power over the individuals themselves. The potency of arrows may be undeniably strong but sometimes, the personality of individuals overruled any effects which in turn made the jobs of Cupids more difficult. Hui was probably getting pissed because both Yan An and Changgu were resisting the powers of the arrows.

Half-way through the class, Hui got so frustrated watching them that he used his powers to knock Yan An’s eraser off of his table with a wave of his index finger. Changgu naturally bent over his seat to pick up the eraser but got flustered when he met eyes with Yan An as he handed back the eraser. They both hastily returned their attention to the front, not daring to look at each other. Hui pinched the bridge of his nose out of frustration and hummed miserably. Someone kill me now.

~

Hui ducked out of the classroom during their lunch break, adamant on eating by himself. Being in a classroom for so long would understandably be suffocating for a Cupid used to roaming around in the open. He stared at the convenience store kimbap he had bought in the morning and was already starting to feel sick. Human bodies consumed a lot more food than Cupids so whilst he constantly felt hungry as a human, his appetite for food remained the same. Disgruntled, he forced himself to take a bite and reluctantly chewed as if it was the most disgusting thing he had ever tasted. His chewing slowed down as soon as he saw Changgu almost skipping over with the usual bright smile. Please don’t come over here, please don’t come over here, please leave me alone… And as Hui had feared, Changgu sat right beside him and made himself comfortable on the grass.
“You should have told me you were going to eat outside,” Changgu beamed as he opened his lunch box which made Hui want to gag because it was filled to the brim with food. Quite oblivious to Hui’s disgust, Changgu brought his lunch box closer to Hui’s face and asked if he wanted some with the kindest of intentions only to have him violently shove it out of the way with his arm, spilling half of the contents onto the ground. The class president sadly retracted his now half-empty lunch box placed it on his lap with a sad pout. He genuinely wanted to befriend Hui, worried that he would not feel welcomed in a new school for his final year. Hui watched Changgu quietly eat what was left of his lunch with guilt. Troublesome humans...
“So the weather is really nice today,” Changgu forced a laugh, “it’s a good day for eating outside.”
“Yeah…” Hui rolled his eyes, uncomfortable with the setting. Though, he had to admit, he was impressed by Changgu’s thick skin and persistence. With impeccable timing, Shinwon sneaked up behind Hui and pounced onto him. He had spotted the two from afar and his urge to interfere was far too great.
“Oooohhh, what do we have here?” Shinwon casually grabbed a small sausage from Changgu’s lunch box and popped it into .
“Yah!” Changgu barked, pulling his lunch box away to the side. A sly and satisfied smile made its way across Shinwon’s face. There was just something about about annoying Changgu that amused him greatly.
“Yan An! Over here!” Shinwon yelled out with bits of food flying out of as he waved his arm in the air. Yan An stiffly walked over, absolutely conscious of Changgu and sat down next to the boisterous Shinwon.
“Why are we sitting outside today…?” Yan An asked Shinwon quietly, his eyes obviously resisting the urge at the cute guy who sat across him.
“Because our friends are here.” Shinwon ruffled Hui’s hair from behind, knowing it would annoy him. He was probably lucky Hui had his powers restricted otherwise he wouldn’t be able to get away with touching a irritable Cupid so easily. For the next couple of minutes, Shinwon was the one busy chatting away, mainly probing Hui with an onslaught of personal questions. However, in addition to ignoring the questions, Hui was busy observing the two destined for each other who were nibbling on their lunch quietly. The only interaction they had was when Yan An was sharing his mini steamed buns with everyone.
“Shinwon, come with me.” Hui unexpectedly grabbed the back of Shinwon’s blazer as he stood up and dragged him away.
“What? Where are we going?” Shinwon protested, tangling himself up because he was twisting and turning as Hui kept walking.
“The bathroom.”
“The bathroom!? Why are you dragging me to the bathroom?” Shinwon continued to complain. When the two were gone, Yan An and Changgu looked at each other for a millisecond before looking elsewhere - Changgu showing sudden interest in his fork and Yan An being fascinated by the grass. There could only be so much awkward silence between them until they were forced to acknowledge each other’s presence.
“Um…” The two said simultaneously and froze up.
                 I’m alone with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter