II. The Classmates

The Cupid Tragedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In an office that was blindingly white, Eunkwang examined the documents in front of him whilst sipping on his hot Earl Grey tea.
“These idiots, for the millionth time…” He uttered under his breath before reading the names on the case file out loud, “Jo Jinho. Lee Hwitaek.”  

The doors automatically opened and in came the troublemakers looking disgruntled after having waited with each other for over an hour outside of Eunkwang’s office. Eunkwang was the senior Cupid in charge of a great portion of districts in South Korea, including the one Jinho and Hui were assigned to. Whilst the two were some of the most skilled Cupids under his command, they were also the most troublesome due to their short tempers.  
“Ah, my two favourite Cupids. You both know why you've been summoned, correct?” He said with a fake smile, the type that made you wish you could turn back time to undo your mistake.
“Yes but…” Hui couldn’t hold back his devilish smirk any longer, “you know we can’t take you seriously when you’re wearing that.” Eunkwang was wearing the traditional Cupids outfit which we have grown accustomed to seeing - a classic white tunic with brown Roman sandals. He loved wearing it to flaunt his seniority over the other Cupids but almost no one else in the Association did because it was uncomfortable and impractical for doing field work.
“We don’t even have an official uniform...” Jinho added quietly.  Eunkwang narrowed his eyes at them, unable to comprehend how they could remain so brazen despite being in trouble.
“Boys, is it so hard to stay out of trouble? There’s only so many warnings I can give you before the Association becomes aware of the havoc you two create.” Eunkwang sternly told them.
“He started it.” Jinho shamelessly pointed at Hui right away.
“Okay for last time, I said it was an accident. AC-CI-DENT. Do you even know what that means?” Hui argued back.
“Yes but you clearly don’t since you keep insisting it was one.”
“Are you calling me a liar?”
“I didn’t say that but since you said it yourself - ”
Eunkwang had had enough of their quarrel and cleared very loudly to interrupt them. After getting their attention again, he snapped his fingers in the air and two neat piles of clothing appeared on top of his desk and he said, “These are yours.”
Hui was quick to unravel the pile of clothes which turned out to be a high school uniform and then unfolded Jinho’s pile as well which was exactly the same. He dramatically  slammed his hands on Eunkwang’s wooden desk yelling “This is outrageous!” and pointed to Jinho, “Shouldn’t he be getting an elementary school uniform!?”
“Seriously Hui? That’s your concern? Seriously?” Jinho side-eyed Hui and then walked forward to lean over Eunkwang’s desk slightly.
“Eunkwang,” A strained smile made it’s way across Jinho’s face, “Sir, what’s the meaning behind this?” He was desperately hoping it was not what he thought it was going to be.
“The Disciplinary Committee has ordered that you two be banished to the human world as punishment for your repeat offences.” Eunkwang replied bluntly. He could see the life drain from the boys’ faces and sighed, “I don’t make the rules, boys. These are official orders from above.” Eunkwang went on to read the scroll in front of him that elaborated on the terms and conditions of their punishment. They were to be stripped of their Cupid duties and to remain in human form for the length of a year, disguised as high school students. During this period, the two were to reflect on the consequences of their actions as well as restore the order which they had disrupted. Hui scrunched his face up, clearly confused, “Restore the order? What the Heavens does that mean?”
“Well, you guys will have to work together to figure that out, won’t you?” Eunkwang raised his brow as if it was an obvious answer. It was undeniable that part of the punishment involved them cooperating with each other and that really was considered the cherry on top. With the official terms of the punishment announced, the two remained silent with hardened expressions. Eunkwang had a smile on his face too sinister for a Cupid to wear and leaned back into his white swivel chair, “School starts tomorrow, boys. Good luck.”

They were both convinced that Eunkwang was finding amusement out of their inevitable despair.

~

Despite the next day being a gorgeous day with the sun out and clear blue skies, it did little to help the grumpy Cupids facing their reality. Hui and Jinho stared each other down whilst standing right in front of the school gates, somehow ignoring the fact that the other students were walking past them with curious gazes and were whispering amongst themselves. Hui wore a grey hoodie underneath their navy school blazer and white Converse shoes whilst Jinho properly wore the uniform with no alterations, looking quite prim and proper.
“Wow, a hoodie under your blazer. So edgy of you, Hui.” Jinho smirked.
“Yeah, well at least I don’t look like a mama’s boy.”
Even if they were about to step into unknown territory, it wouldn’t stop them from the usual banter. The school bell rang, signalling the start of school day and their misery. Hui squatted on the ground and furiously scratched his head as he let out a frustrated cry. He suddenly stood up and started walking away from the gates whilst angrily mumbling, “I can’t do this. This is absolutely ridiculous. I’m going back even if it means being banished to Hell, at least I have some friends there.”
Fed up with his complaints, Jinho grabbed the back of Hui’s hood and pulled him along into the school. There was no way he was going to endure this punishment alone.

The Association had taken care of their enrolments in a way that avoided any suspicions from humans. They were classified as transfer students in their 3rd year of high school and the two couldn’t be more relieved to find out they were to be split into different classes. Once the paperwork was finalised in the school office, they were individually directed to their classrooms to meet their peers which was probably the part they dreaded the most.

Jinho walked into his classroom, a bit nervous from being in the spotlight at the front of the class with all eyes glued on him. He definitely preferred to be in his Cupid form where he was invisible to humans. Stay calm Jinho, they’re just humans, they’re no different from you...
“Hello, I’m Jo Jinho. It’s nice to meet you all. I hope we can have a good year together.” Jinho said quietly whilst fidgeting with his fingers. Whispers were rapidly exchanged between the students in the class and unluckily for Jinho, he could hear it all too clearly. Not that it was anything he didn’t already expect anyway.
    “Oh my god, he’s so cute.”
        “He’s so small....”
            “Wow, he’s really short for a guy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter