XII. The Opening

The Cupid Tragedy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jinho’s eyes drifted beyond the windows of the classroom, focused on a pair of cupids who were loitering around on the roof of the building across the road. The more he tried to make out their faces, the more it seemed like they were becoming a blur and disappearing from his sight. Maybe he was tired because it was too early in the day and he didn’t sleep all that well. Or maybe, the human world was becoming more prominent now that his Cupid status was being stripped away slowly and it was a sign that he was soon to lose all sight of beings that weren’t human by nature.

“Morning Jinho.”

Hongseok’s voice pulled Jinho away from his Cupid-watching and Jinho’s eyes followed Hongseok as he came forward to look out the window, perhaps curious as to what Jinho was staring at so intently.
“Morning…” Jinho naturally shrunk back into his seat and avoided meeting with Hongseok’s eyes. He tried his best to hold the usual conversation with Hongseok, hoping the human wouldn’t notice anything was off.

“Is it uncomfortable to be around me?”

Damn it, is it that obvious? Jinho was surprised to see Hongseok had taken a seat at the desk in front of him whilst he wasn’t looking and was now leaning forward on his table. His question was rather blunt as well but it was just like him to not beat around the bush. Hongseok wore the usual warm smile but his eyes were tinted with slight worry, expecting a sincere response from the avoidant Cupid.
Jinho vehemently shook his head, “No! Not at all. I’m just a bit distracted this morning, sorry.” Jinho was getting a bit too good at this, lying and putting up a friendly human front. It wasn’t that he was uncomfortable to be around Hongseok but rather the boy’s true intentions still seemed awfully suspicious. Hearing Jinho’s shy chuckle was enough to put Hongseok at ease so he jokingly clenched his chest in a dramatic fashion, “Ah, thank goodness. I was worried you didn’t want to be friends anymore…”
Jinho hadn’t realised ‘friendship’ could be such a fragile thing to humans and the thought of not being friends with Hongseok seemed to sadden him. Hongseok was his first human friend after all.
“But can I ask why you asked me out on a date out of all things? I’m just...curious.” It had been bothering Jinho because it was technically his first real date...ever. In his Cupid life at least.

“Mmm…I don’t know. I just had a feeling there’s more to you than meets the eye. I mean, I did catch you stalking my friend after all.” Hongseok smiled and rested his chin on the palm of his hand, “And you’re also really cute.”
Jinho stared back at Hongseok in silence, wondering how this human could find someone a century and a bit older than him ‘cute’. After seeing the cute boy’s reaction, or lack thereof, Hongseok just gave up and ruffled Jinho’s hair with a grin on his face, curious as to how someone could be so oblivious.

“Hongseok!” The bright voice piped up from behind Jinho and much to his demise, it turned out to be Kino in all his glowing glory. It was concerning how easily Jinho could recognise his voice and knowing he was nearby caused Jinho to immediately tense up. Hongseok stood up and knocked Kino on the head, jokingly scolding him for sneaking up on his seniors like that.
“What are you doing here? Go back to your classroom, you brat.”
Kino giggled and unknowingly placed his hands on Jinho’s shoulders as he talked to Hongseok, “Can’t I just stop by to visit you?”
Jinho immediately tuned out of their whole exchange as he was only able to focus on the mere fact that Kino’s hands were lightly massaging his small shoulders. He was obviously feeling nervous and awkward with the fluffy boy around. After all, it was not easy to shake off the vivid image of Kino crawling towards him (even if it was actually Seonho’s evil doing).
“Let’s go Jinho!” Kino lowered his head beside Jinho who had missed the conversation on why Kino owed Hongseok a drink. Hongseok had suggested Kino bring Jinho with him as well to make sure he would come back with a drink and not run away. Even though the cupid was utterly confused by the situation, one look at Kino’s bright eye-smile was all it took for him stand up obediently without question.
“Remember, I want orange juice. The expensive brand.” Hongseok nudged Jinho forward and then shooed him along to go with Kino who was already a few steps ahead. Jinho looked at Kino with a panicked expression and then right back at Hongseok who had a devilish smile on his face. Is he really friends with Kino? Why would he encourage me, a supposed ‘stalker’, to go with him?

Jinho ended up indulging in the strange opportunity to watch Kino’s cute animated expressions without worrying about looking like a creep. It was normal right? Watchi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter