Five

HOW I MET YOU

3 months to go for a long hell ride of high school life, and I’m free. After the death of Uncle Jack, Daddy didn’t spend his days with his sister and we didn’t go to Nana’s house again after that. I didn’t go to school with my car anymore, since Daddy insist to give me a ride every day to school.

I sat on my study table, feeling bit nausea when I looked at a pile of papers in front of me. Offer letters, catalogues, flyers, admission forms and everything related to university’s courses and programs.

All of the sudden, a notification pop’s out from the laptop’s screen. A Sykpe notification from Yoon.

Few seconds of buffering, I was able to see his bare and tired face. I smiled and waved at him few times and he does the same.

“Hey beauty!” he greeted with a very warming smile I could get in time like this.

“Hey!” I shouted back in a very excited way.

“It’s 7.26 pm here in Seoul. I just got back from school.” He shoved his bangs way back from his forehead and smashed himself to the bed.

“You tired?”

“Sorts of. I need to settle down uni’s admissions and stuffs. What’s up?”

“Lol I did that too, today! Are we really fated to be for each other?”

I laughed so hard when he falls of the chair for being too excited.

“Please behave, Yoon. I can’t help you go to the hospital if anything worst happen.”

“Well please call me an ambulance all the way from England. I would appreciate that till I die.”

“So what courses are you applying?” i changed the topic before it gets boring.

“Mechanical Engineering is top on the list. The second and third choices I just put architecture and electrical. You?”

“Well I put mechanical too as my top list then followed by nursing and management science.”

“Oh you wanted to become a nurse?”

“Not really. I’m more to mathematics but mum insisted me to go for nursing. Women shouldn’t do engineering.”

He then starred at me for seconds before he replied, “Why not? Right now there are no boundaries between men and women in engineering. That’s what my teacher said just now.”

“We practically have the same common sense eh?” I laughed.

“That’s why we are fated to meet each other a years ago.”

“I feel like we are having a serious LDR right now.”

“Well, if that what you want, why not?”

Then, things became awkward.

“I’m just joking.” Yoon said, to make things clear and get back to normal. Supposedly I shouldn’t act so awkward too, isn’t?

“Me too,” I laughed, and his dimple starts to appear on his milky white face.

“Btw,” I said, after hearing the wall clock strikes 12 midnight sharp from the living hall. “Happy Birthday, Park Yoon.”

Yoon was frozen till I thought the Skype isn’t working. “Yoon?” I called.

“Can you say it again?” he said after being dazed for few seconds.

“Happy Birthday, Park Yoon.” I repeated again. This time, he smiled so wide that I was afraid that he might tear his own mouth.

“WOW, I YOUR ACCENT IS Y!”

We laughed out loud till his laugh and my laugh fills this empty bedroom.

“Happy 21ST in Korea, and happy 20th here in England. Tell me what do you want?”

2 Minutes of thinking which I found it was quite bored to wait, he answered “You come here?”

“Me?” I said in disbelieve, thought that he might want a pair of brand new launched Nike shoes or bags or whatever it is.

“Oh, come on. I can take you to explore? Free of charge and my parents would love to meet you!”

“I should tell mother,” I replied. “I think she let me go.”

“Really?” he was already excited.

“But, I can’t promise okay? I need to tell mother first.”

“Okay,” he said. “Whatever it is, we will meet again one day.”

“I need to go to bed, now.” I said, waving at him and giving a flying kiss.

“Happy birthday, Yoon.” I said.

 

****

 

Park Yoon

 

After a long nap, I woke up and walked straight to the hall to see my mom was sewing something in front of the loud TV. I yawned, rubbing my stomach as a sign of hungriness and opened up the fridge.

“You got a mail,” I heard she said that without looking. “I put it on the shoe closet,” she said again.

I didn’t take any drink as I was thirst at first, but curiously went to the shoe closet and found out a medium size brown box in it. I took it and examined the outer part which then I saw the sender’s Address.

Eleanor Rose Bennett,

76, Saint Mayor Rd

Bristol, England.

 

I bought the box to the living hall, took a seat next to mom and opened up the box carefully. I saw a shoe box inside brand of Nike. I took it out and found out it was the latest design of Air Max Shoe, black in color with silver lining.

I went straight to the bedroom, shut the door tight and put the shoebox on the study table. I took the mail inside the box and lying on the bed again, tearing it apart as if it was so precious to me. A handwritten letter I saw and I read it inside.

Dear Yoon,

I guess you’re shocked and overwhelmed with this mail isn’t? Well, I hope you do because I was so struggle to find you exact address to send you this gift all the way from England.

Happy Birthday, Yoon. I hope you’re doing find in Korea. I hope you’re blessed on your life and everything you do. I was thinking about your wish for me to come there.

So, I decided to make it happen. I was already told Mother about it and she said she’s okay. I will meet you on this winter break. Please be free at that time okay.

I’ll email you my flight detail later. Notified me if this mail is safely arrived to you because I would be nervously waiting from England.

Xoxo,

Eleanor

 

If his mouth can be ripped with a smile that he put after reading the letter, he would ended up in the hospital to stich it up.

Eleanor is coming.