Four

HOW I MET YOU

Eleanor Rose

 

It was one of the darkest days of my family again. I stood at the corner of my mother, where Daddy was standing in front of me. I never thought this day was coming over after what Daddy and us had gone through the last time when Nana was dead.

I wore the same black outfit again which I never thought I would. Mummy squeezed my hands as I was shaking when I saw Daddy kneeled over at the coffin of his beloved brother, Jack.

One time when the priest was praying, Mummy was coughing so hard until she sits down on the chair. I ran to the car, grabbed her meds and gave it to her.

Funerals went smooth and the weather was sunny. Daddy didn’t make a conversation with us in the car on the way home. I was starring outside when no conversation was made. I looked at Daddy’s face in a glance through the rear mirror and I could see how miserable he was.

“Eleanor,” I heard my name was called and I quickly held up my head.

“Yes daddy?” Listening to his voice right now seems a bit relief at least. Mummy was sleeping soundly besides him as the meds already affects her body.

“Do you want to go to Korea? Going for a study perhaps?”

I paused. I never thought I would want to go to my birthplace. I kept thinking I was British, not an Asian. I want to live that way, but I always forget that my blood, my face and my ancestors are not British people.

“Eleanor?”

I swallowed the remaining saliva inside my mouth. Bitter. “Well, I want to. But I would not leave you two alone here.”

“Every parent in this world would let their kids go when it’s about time.”

“I never wanted to be that kind of kid.”

“Never ever you think to find your biological family?”

I shrugged, “Never ever I’m thinking about it.”

Daddy let out a very deep sigh, making me nervous while looking away at the outside.

“You’re not safe here.” He said.