One.

HOW I MET YOU

 

Eleanor Rose

 

November 2012. Bristol, England.

Mummy said that death could bring someone back together and to fix a broken bonds. Death could bring us back together, even though how hard the relationship before, because we shared the same pain.

Nana’s funeral was already ended. I was at the kitchen, helping Mummy to prepare dinner for all of Daddy’s siblings, as the family attorney will come and distribute all Nana’s properties to them.

I know I was not being invited at this kind of family occasion. That’s why I’d just stay at the kitchen and helping to cook and clean up.

It is as always it is, because I know who I am.

“Go get some plates for me, Eleanor.” I was startled when Mummy’s asking me to bring out the plates. I walked along the narrow kitchen, standing in front of Nana’s beloved dishes collection. Tears came down right away when I remembered she told me everything behind every set of plates she had collected inside this glass cabinet.

I quickly grabbed some plates from the very bottom, where it wasn’t Nana’s favorite collection. I put it on the kitchen island, waiting for another instruction. Just then, Aunt Marcy walked into the kitchen with her daughter.

“I want two cups of black Darjeeling Tea, with those cookies.” She said and pointed out the cookies that was my Mummy’s. I wanted to speak out, but Mummy was the first one to cut it off.

“Brew them the tea, Eleanor.” She said, without looking. She was busy make sauté the onions in the pan. She knew I would make a fuss, and that’s why she quickly cuts me off.

I took the can of Darjeeling tea that had been there inside Nana’s cabinet. It was sealed, but dusty. I brewed the tea and poured into two mugs, and put aside a plate of butter cookies that they wanted. I walked to them, carefully served the food in front of them.

“You know you can’t join the meeting right?” Aunt Marcy uttered with a low and subtle voice, making me froze at my place. I looked at her, clenching my teeth to prevent myself speak out any bad words inside my head.

“I know since the day I walked into this family, Aunt Marcy.” I said then slowly walking away leaving those two enjoyed the tea.

“Good. I shall remind you in case you and your mother forgot about it.” She said again while slurping the tea. I wish the tea was hot like hell and can burn her bloody mouth. Her daughter, which has the same age as me giggled and smirked.

I looked at Mummy. She was busy cutting veggies on the cutting board. I knew she heard the conversation but she just letting it go. I went to her, taking the knife from her and said, “I’d do this.” Then she left to the oven and pulled out the chicken that she had cooked a while ago.

“MARCY! THE ATTORNEY IS HERE!” I heard Uncle Brad, Aunt Marcy’s husband shouted out from the living room. Honestly, I was startled by the way he jerked off like that. Aunt Marcy and her daughter, Kristina walked to the front, living those mess on the table.

“Eleanor, prepare a tea for Mr. Briskets. Then, we can have dinner together.” I nodded and quickly heating the water again to brew some tea for the family attorney, Mr. Briskets.

“Should I bring him the cookies too, Mummy?” I asked while arranging the cups on the flower tray. Mummy nodded and gave me a faint smile.

“But don’t bring it to the front. Daddy’s gonna take it.” She said again and I leaved it just as she said on the kitchen island. I sat on the high stool near me and observing Mummy doing her thing. She was giving a final touch for the chicken. It smells so good and I can’t wait to taste it.

“Mummy, why can’t we join them?” I asked randomly.

She gave me a fainted smile and said. “It’s because the place is already crowded. See?” Mummy pointed out and I looked at the living room. I could see all Daddy’s siblings; Aunt Marcy and Uncle Brad, Uncle Jack and Aunt Jennie and my daddy. I could see the thrilled on each of their faces, but not my Daddy.

Nana never likes us; both me and my mother. We knew it very well. And that’s why Daddy doesn’t let us join the meeting, because he was afraid that we might be hurt by any kind of words that they’ll say to us. That’s why on every family occasion like this, we will stay at the kitchen and waited for them to finish.

“I’ve already knew the answer, but I don’t know why I keep asking.” I said, placing my head onto my hand, leaning on the kitchen island. Mummy giggled while she was setting the table for them to have dinner later.

“Maybe because my face is too Asian?” I said again and handling the table cloth in front of me to her.

“But you got a pretty wide eyes for a typical Korean.” She mentioned.

Yes, I knew I am a Korean adoptive. I grew up learning my roots. My parents never hide who I am from me.

“Don’t you want to visit Korea? I would love to go back if you want to. We could ask daddy.”

Yeah, someday.

 

****

 

“According to Madam Eloise Hunter, 50% of the inheritance belongs to Mr. Peter Benetton. All the textile companies, including two factories in London and Edinburgh will change the ownership to Mr. Peter Benetton. Madam Eloise house which located in Malibu also belongs to Mr. Peter Benetton.”

“NO WAY!”

“YOU’RE ING KIDDING ME!”

“WHAT’S LEFT FOR US!”

Mr. Brisket’s face still calm as usual. He knows how to control the situation. “Everything was written on this paper, and it was already signed by Madam Eloise. It is valid, and I get the rights to recite what’s on the agreement.”

Jack and Marcy looked at each other, in disbelief. All of the imaginations, the predictable thing was vanished just like that. Peter held his head very low, unable to speak anything. This is not what he wanted. He doesn’t want all the inheritance. All he wants is her mother to come back.

“For Mrs. Marcy, Madam Eloise left you a house in East Midlands, two farms and one company, which where you’re working right now. You’re given full authorities for the company.” Mr. Briskets held a brown paper files to Marcy and she took it furiously.

“What’s the total net worth?” she asked in a very snobbish way.

Mr. Briskets changed his position. “Approximately 2 Million, Mrs. Marcy.”

“What’s mine?” Jack asked. He was already being impatient after hearing all those assets that his older brother and sisters got. He still believed and have some faith that his mother would left more assets for them.

“For Mr. Jack, your mother left you this house and another house for you in Germany as you’re always practice your race, one Bugatti Chiron for you upcoming birthday Mr. Jack.” He paused. “Happy upcoming birthday, Mr. Jack.”

“Thank you,” he replied.

 “And Mr. Jack, your mother prepared a very hefty amount of money to support your racing career. I believe you satisfied with that.”

“Well, yeah.” He shrugged and took the file that handed by Mr. Briskets.

Mr. Briskets waited for each of their responds before he makes his leave. He sips the tea that they brought to him just now. A very sooth feeling went through his throat. It was enough to calm his mind down to encounter any other questions from them.

“Before I make a leave, I wanted to remind all of you. If one of you died, all the inheritance will be given by other family members equally. The will was signed by Madam Eloise herself, to prevent you guys from fighting with each other.”

“So please, take care of yourself. Have a good day.” He stood up, and walked away.