...because of a nickname.

Tangled in Your Heartstrings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was already 3:00 in the morning. Some say it was the time when demons enter the real world to haunt humans, but for Jung Yerin, it was not demons that were haunting her at all.

"Fudge, why am I feeling like this?" she thought to herself as she laid down in bed, surrounded by pillows and covered by her pink childhood blanket her late mother bought for her when she was 8 years old.

She remembered the events that followed after they left the convenience store; they were too awkward and difficult to comprehend: she was seated in the passenger's seat, just a few inches away from Junhui who had his eyes fixed on the road while driving.

"You should be careful next time," he remarked, breaking the silence between them that lasted for almost 15 minutes, "Some men cannot be trusted, especially when it's night."

Yerin sighed, "Don't worry, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for today, by the way."

"You're welcome," he responded.

 

Looking back at what happened, Yerin realized that she should have just shut to end the conversation already, but her past self did not.

She remembered her futile and stupid attempt to keep the conversation between her and Junhui going while they were on their way home.

 

"Do you have a key to my room?" she blurted out without thinking.

"Yes," Junhui spoke, "Why?"

Yerin took a deep breath before speaking, "You said some men can't be trusted, especially when it's night."

 

Yerin could still remember the flushed look on Junhui's face after she told him those words. He was embarrassed, she was regretful. The conversation was a mess.

 

Remembering that such thing had happened, Yerin could not help but bury her face on the pillow beside her while hoping for the earth to swallow her whole.

"I hate myself so much," she muttered to herself.

 

-

The phone's alarm resounded inside the room. A still sleepy Junhui struggled reaching for his phone placed on top of the table beside his bed. After hitting the snooze button, he curled up and pulled the blankets up to cover him more. The chilly morning was enough to convince him to stay in bed and not do anything the whole day.

"Dang," Junhui thought to himself, "I only got four hours of sleep."

He was about to get some shut-eye again when he suddenly heard a familiar laugh coming from the living room, and he was certain that the laugh did not come from his tenant. Junhui immediately got up from his bed and went straight to the door to see who it was. And much to his dismay, he saw Wonwoo, sitting comfortably on the couch beside Yerin, and both of them were enjoying coffee while watching the morning news.

"Oh hey, Jun!" Wonwoo greeted with a wide smile, "Good morning!"

Junhui glared at his friend, annoyed by his early morning presence, "What're you doing here?"

"I came to see you!" Wonwoo responded, "It's been two days, man!" he made a pouty face to show how disappointed he was with his friend.

Meanwhile, Yerin just kept her eyes glued to the TV, avoiding eye contact with Wen Junhui.

"Who even allowed you to come in? It's only seven in the morning," Junhui spoke as he approached the two, although he was already giving death glares to Yerin, who still acted indifferent while sipping her coffee.

Wonwoo smiled, "Ah, Yenni did," he responded, "I was trying to call you before I came here but you were not answering. Good thing Yenni is here to open the door for me."

Junhui felt his blood rush up to his cheeks. His ears tingled after hearing what Wonwoo had just said. His subconscious mind immediately made him curl his hands into fists.

"What did you just say?" Junhui asked with an irritated tone in his voice.

Wonwoo reiterated, "Yenni opened the door fo--"

"Wait a moment, will you?" Junhui interrupted Wonwoo with a forced smile on his face. He went to the kitchen sink to gargle first, and while he was at it, he was already counting from one to 20; like what he had learned from his mother, he was thinking that his anger would subside if he counted until 20.

While he spat the menthol-flavored mouthwash, he was already trying to figure out how to correct what was wrong with the situation.

 

"Is he okay?" Wonwoo asked Yerin, who was still not removing her sight from the TV.

Yerin just nodded as a response, although she could already feel the uncomfortable presence of Junhui.

 

 

"Jung Yerin!"

 

Junhui's voice was heard from the kitchen. He was using his authoritative voice again, Yerin thought to herself.

"You better come here on the count of three!"

Wonwoo was confused as to what was happening already.

Yerin felt her forehead sweat and her heart beat louder.

"One!"

Yerin gulped.

"Two!"

She glanced at Wonwoo with a terrified look on her face.

 

"Don't wait for me to reach three!" Junhui's voice was booming.

With that, Yerin quickly stood up and ran to the kitchen, leaving Wonwoo in a complete state of dumbfoundedness.

 

"I didn't know they live like the military here," he mused to himself.

 

-

"Wh--What is it?" Yerin asked a fuming Junhui; he was glaring at her more intensely than before, as if she had done a criminal offense to his family.

"What did I tell you last night?" he spoke, "You can't just trust men easily!"

"But--But Wonwoo is your friend," Yerin stammered as she tried to think of the words to calm Junhui down, "He--He means no harm and--"

"Stop reasoning out, will you?!" Junhui exclaimed, "That's the reason why you don't learn! And one more thing..."

Yerin bit her lip in anxiousness. She knew that once Junhui started ranting because of anger, he would be difficult to stop. Whatever reason that irked him was definitely her fault.

Junhui took a deep breath before continuing to speak, "Why is he calling you 'Yenni'?! What's that for?!"

Yerin froze. A thought suddenly struck her, and without thinking, she responded, "Are you upset just because Wonwoo is calling me 'Yenni'?" she then pursed her lips. Junhui was being obnoxious and was blowing things out of proportions, much to her chagrin.

"You only used that nickname with your friends back then!" Junhui fumed, "Who gave you the right to let him use it?"

"That is my nickname so I can allow people to use it or not," Yerin responded, "And while I was preparing breakfast, Wonwoo told me stories about his high school days," she explained, "Of course I told my stories too, and I mentioned something about the nickname I used to have," she had a warm smile on her face as if she was actually reminiscing about her past. Meanwhile, Junhui still had the furious frown on his face; not quite amused to discover that Yerin and Wonwoo were already spending some time together while he was asleep.

Still, Junhui was not happy about Yerin letting Wonwoo call her by her nickname. He cross

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter