PTSD

PTSD - Taecyeon

Slamming the door behind his small body, Taecyeon ran his hand through his hair wondering what had happened once his thoughts overtook him. Making sure everything was taken care of outside, he headed inside to see that Landon was hiding under the coffee table, playing the matchbox car that had dropped from his hands during their nap earlier.

“Daddy’s a bad guy…” Landon muttered just loud enough for his dad to hear him. Taecyeon stopped to listen but then quickly ran to his room and slammed the door.

Hanging his head low Taecyeon rested against the closed door. Tear brimmed eyes turning to the black framed picture on the dresser, two figures stood next to one another, each with a bright smile on their faces like best friends would have, yet one of them was an angel now. Shuffling over to the framed picture, he slowly picked it up, remembering his fallen comrade who stood next to him, even until the end. Turning down the picture frame, he lowered his eyes to the dog tags that were resting right beside the picture the two silver tags hung from a silver chain, with some dried blood still within the imprinted letters. Pulling the dog tags from the dresser top, he sat on the bed as he pulled out his own dog tags from below the collar of his own shirt. He his lips as frustration and sadness swelled in his heart a different tightness claiming his heart. Taking deep breaths, he felt tears sting his eyes as the memories had so suddenly flooded back as if it was just yesterday.

It was in the morning, after a night raid. The dust was slowly settling over the city as my squad began to walk out into the streets. Carefully scanning the area through our scopes, we tried to see through the dust that still hung in the air, however when the wind picked up that is when the adrenaline kicked in. With bullets cutting through the air, a few extra bombs placed in abandoned cars set off and engulfed the metal frame into flames, commands and calls were flooding in over the radio as I stuck to my comrade

Knowing we had to find cover. We headed over to a building to try and get the high ground, yet as he climbed the stairs a bullet pierced his back causing a scream of pain to call my attention. Turning around I watched him fall while he tried to extend his hand to mine. Double backing I ran down the steps and grabbed his hand while my other hand was on my pistol.

“How bad is it?” He questioned as I cradled his head on my leg while clearing the area around us with my pistol. “You’ll be fine” I lied trying to give him happy thoughts so he could live.

“Thanks man” his voice became deep as his eyes began to glaze over, his breathing slowed while bombs continued to rain debris around us.

“Stay awake” I shook him by his vest to try and keep him awake but with his hand slowly moving over mine, I felt his quivering hand before his eyes locked with mine, a painful yet relieved smile pulled on his lips one last time before his head rolled away from me.

That is all I could see for months after that, his blood covered face, hearing his mother’s tears at the funeral while tears of my own rolled down my cheeks.

Hours slowly ticked by as Landon pulled out a car map and laid it across the floor. Playing with his trucks and cars, he heard the front door open as the sound of your heels echoed through the quiet home.

“Hello? Is anyone home?” You called into the quiet home, wondering if they were playing out at the nearby park.

“Mommy!” Landon called quickly, rising to his feet and running across the floor before jumping into your arms.

“Hi bud, did you have a good day with Daddy?” You questioned, wrapping your arms around his figure tightly, however his grip around your neck was tighter than usual.

“Daddy’s mean…” Landon whispered against your neck as you slipped off your heels and headed into the kitchen.

“Why do you say that? Did you have fun with your pool party?” You questioned, your eyes glancing outside to see the pool still set up.

“Daddy yelled at me… pool parties aren’t fun with Daddy…” Landon’s bitterness was evident as you turned and kissed his head, wondering what went on today. “I missed you…”

“I missed you too” You whispered as you hugged him close to you, “What do you want to eat?” You inquired while feeling his cold skin from the pool earlier.

“Noodles?” Landon suggested as headed back to his bedroom to change him into something warmer.

“Sounds good to me” You sang as you opened his door, “Do you want to change by yourself of do you need help?”

“I can do it.. Just stay close by, the shirt monster got me today” You set Landon on the floor as he explained his troubles from earlier.

“Let me know if you need help fighting that monster again” You giggle, placing a kiss on his head before closing the door yet leaving it open a crack.

Turning on your heels, you looked across the hall at your bedroom door, tightly closed within the doorframe. Not seeing Taecyeon in sight, you carefully approached the door. Lifting your hand up, you knocked your knuckles lightly against the white wood.

With no reply, your other hand lowered to the handle and slowly twisted until you could push it open. Taecyeon turned around quickly, his arms tense and ready to fight, yet when he laid eyes on you he let out his held in breath, relieved to see that it was just you.

“Are you okay?” You stepped inside, closing the door behind you, watching him lovingly you tried to read him so that you wouldn’t make a wrong move to make his anxiety and PTSD worse. Your eyes locked with his bloodshot ones, his jostled hair with his comrade’s dog tags between his fingers.

Turning his head back to the dog tags resting between his fingers, he gently shook his head from side to side. Taking a step forward you began to approach the bed as you read his body language to tell you when to stop. Making it to the edge of the bed, you slowly sat beside him, placing your hands in your lap. Letting him take his time, you sat there in silence for a minute or two as his mind slowly began to sort out his actions.

“I yelled at Landon…” Those four words spilled from his lips as you turned your head to observe a few tears falling from his chin onto the carpet below. “I-i… didn’t mean to…”

Moving your hand over to his forearm, you rested it gently on his skin while your thumb slowly brushed your skin against his letting him have all of your time and attention.

“He shouldn’t have held up that water gun to me, I shouldn’t have gotten angry and turned around ripping that toy from his hands…” Taecyeon began to grip the dog tags between his fingers as his jaw tightened, “Then when my hands wrapped around his arms and I squeezed… then he started to cry…” Taecyeon’s voice began to shake as he turned his eyes to meet yours.

“I’m sorry” Taecyeon’s words were broken and sincere as a few more tears trailed down his face.

“It’s okay” You whispered, lifting up your hand and cupping his face before wiping away his tears with your thumbs. “He didn’t know”

“I scared him….” He looked deeply into your eyes as his lip quivered

“We can fix that” You reassured him with a nod. Taking your word for it, Taecyeon slowly moved his arms around your waist, pulling you closer to him. You guided his head onto your shoulder before your arms wrapped around his broad shoulders, rubbing his back slowly.

The warm tears dabbled across your neck while his shoulders moved up and down with every breath trying to calm himself down. Rocking him slightly from side to side, you rested your head against his while you closed your eyes trying to send your healing energy towards him.

“Do you think that he will like me again?” Taecyeon’s voice whispered ever so softly.