The one trying to repair

MENDED

The one trying to repair

The first time Aaron met her, he was charmed by her. Not because of her beauty, but because she helped him when he had difficulties taking the drink he bought at the vending machine because of his casted leg. He thanked her and after she smiled and left, he can’t take his mind off her. He doesn’t believe in love at first sight last time, but now he does, as it had just happened to him. He wanted to chase after her and know her name, but he can’t due to his casted leg. He mentally scolded himself for his casted legs which he got it from a soccer match.

Every day, he tried to search for her. He had asked his friends and classmates about her, but since he doesn’t have her name or photo, they can’t help him at all. He went back to the same vending machine every day at the same timing, hoping that one day she will pass by.

For a month, he had been doing the same thing, but she didn’t appear at all. Until a few days after he got his cast off, he saw her outside the University, but he didn’t approach her as there was a guy opening the car door for her. He knew guys would only do that for the girl they like, and since she get in the car like she had gotten used to it, he then knew she had a boyfriend.

His heart sank.

But this did not stop him from knowing more about her. The next time he saw her was in the cafeteria days later. He was eating with his friends and she was sitting a table away, alone. He kept looking at her. His eyes can’t seem to focus on anything else but her. Someone called out a name and she turned around and wave. He knew her name then.

And through asking around about her, he knew her classes, and when he got the time, he would wait for her outside her class, waiting for the right time to approach her.

But he didn’t manage to do that. Every time he wanted to, she would always be with her friends, or her boyfriend.

He saw the way she looked at her boyfriend. It was different when she was with her other male friends. Her face would always brighten up whenever her boyfriend appears outside her classes. The way she looked at her boyfriend was full of love. He then knew he doesn’t stand a chance.

He gave up his intention to approach her to become friends.

Until one day, he saw her sitting down on a swing at a playground near his place. He didn’t saw her face, but he knew it was her. She was facing down, but from her body movement he knew she was crying.

He approached her and stood in front of her. He knew she saw his shadows and she looked up. He took out his handkerchief and gave it to her.

She didn’t take it. She ignored him and face down again. He kneeled down in front of her hand put the handkerchief on her lap. He then pats gently on her head and got on his feet. He took a seat on the swing next to hers.

He saw her taking his handkerchief and wipes her tears. She kept crying and crying until his handkerchief was really damped with her tears. He saw her calmed down, and she looked up at him with her puffy eyes. She thanked him for the handkerchief and apologised for dirtying it. She told him she would wash it before returning it to him. She asked for his name and phone number, and he willingly gave it to her. She also gave him her name and phone number, so when she called him, he would know it was her who was contacting him.

After that day, they slowly became friends.

Even though they were friends, he still doesn’t know why she cried that day.  But he noticed the change in her. Although she still always seems so happy, always smiling, but he feels that it wasn’t as genuine as before.

Then he realised what had changed her.

He realised her boyfriend didn’t appear outside her class like before. He didn’t come to look for her anymore. He went to ask her best friend about her boyfriend, and he was surprised that the man wasn’t her boyfriend at all. They were just friends the entire time, from what her best friend said. He went to ask further, and because her best friend trusts him, she told him the entire story. He can’t believe what he had heard from her best friend.

The man had made all of her friends thought that he had feelings for her, even he himself also thinks that way.

The man had played with her feelings, and she can’t help but falling in love with the wrong person.

He was so angry. How can a man do this to such a nice girl?

After knowing her story, he tried every ways to make her happy. He had also asked his and her friends for help, like hanging out together, not just the 2 of them alone. He didn’t want to rush her into anything. When he thinks she was really comfortable with him, he asked her out alone.

And this went on for a few times, until he can’t help but to tell her his feelings.

It happened one night, when he was walking her home after his soccer match that he invited her to.

“Ying Jie, I like you.”

“I like you too, Aaron.”

“Not that kind of like… I really like you, Ying Jie.” When he told her that, he didn’t missed the surprise look on her face.

“It’s okay if you don’t feel the same way. I can wait.” He said, but seeing how Ying Jie remained stun, he slowly loses hope.

“Aaron… I… I’m sorry.”