The one who mended her heart // The mended heart

MENDED

The one who mended her heart // The mended heart

Aaron was happy, and he still is.

He takes out his keys from his briefcase and opens the door. “I’m home!”

He heard tiny footsteps running towards him. Before he could take off his shoes, a little boy hugged onto his right leg. “Daddy!”

 He leans down and carries the little boy up, “Have you been a good boy today?”

“Yes! I helped Mommy clean the table today!”

“Good boy! Daddy will buy you ice cream tomorrow.”

“Yay!”

“Where’s your Mommy?”

“She’s sleeping. Shhh…” The little boy said as he puts a finger on his lips. Aaron mimics him and did the same as well.

He went to his bedroom after putting his son on the couch to watch his favourite cartoon. He saw a familiar figure sleeping soundlessly on the bed. He smiles. He approaches her and plants a kiss on her cheek.

Ying Jie felt the kiss and slowly open her eyes. “You’re back.”

“Yes. How are you feeling?”

“Great. Didn’t have any problems today.”

“He’s so obedient today?” He asks as he caresses her bulging tummy. She puts her hand over his, “Yea, he didn’t kick as much as he did the past few days.”

He leans down and plants a kiss to her tummy, “Good boy.”

“I’ll go heat up the food.” She says as she sits up. Before she can get out of the bed, Aaron gently pushes her down, “Take a rest, I’ll heat it up.”

“I have rested enough. I took a really long nap.” She says as she gets up again. “You are the one who should rest. You just came back home from work. I’ll heat it up.”

“No. I’ll heat it up. You just sit down on the couch with Ian.” He says as he helps her to the couch. She laughs at how protective he is over her.

“You know I can walk by myself, right?”

“Yes, but after the episode yesterday, it will be better if you have someone by your side all the time.”

The night before, Ying Jie was in pain due to the baby’s vigorous kicking until she can’t even stand up. He was so worried that he tried every ways to ease her pain and when he couldn’t, he wanted to call her doctor to come by immediately. But he was stopped by Ying Jie when she said her pain had slowly eased.

He then reminds himself that he have to look for a caretaker so when he went to work, there will be someone with Ying Jie.

***

After Aaron put Ian to sleep, he went to join his beloved wife as she was sitting on the porch, looking out to the meadow. He takes a seat beside her, and pulls her towards him so that he’s hugging her. Ying Jie naturally cuddles up to him.

“I won’t ever get sick of this view.”

“Me too.”

Years ago, she thought she would never piece back her broken heart. Her trust in men has been trampled by the same man that shattered her heart. Until Aaron came into her life and piece back her broken heart. She then realised what she felt for him and what she felt for the other man was different. Her love for Aaron is much stronger than what she felt for the other man.

“I love you.” She says as she tilts her head up and kisses him.

He kisses her back, “I love you too.”