The Beautiful Lies.

Aiming For The Stars [HIATUS]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“How was the dinner party last weekend?”


“Eoh?”


“The dinner party, how was it?”


“It was okay.”


“Just okay?”


“Yes.”


“Tell me.”


“Tell you what?”


“You egghead!” Nayeon, extremely frustrated by the older girl’s exaggerating act of ignorant used against her, raised her voice and harshly crashes both of her palms on top of the girl’s large wooden table placed in between the two women causing Jeongyeon to jump slightly in surprise.


“Tell me about your meeting with her and don’t you dare just tell me it was ‘just okay’!” Nayeon air quoted with her fingers and pulling an angry face at the same time, scary enough for the woman sitting in front of her to feel like a super tiny mouse being caught in a big metal trap house. The only difference is, Nayeon is 10 times scarier than just a metal trap.


“Oh? Okay okay. I’m sorry.” Jeongyeon quickly added and lightly fanning herself with her left hand. ‘It is hot in here? Why the hell I am so sweaty?’


“The meeting was awkward, of course.” Jeongyeon gulped loudly. “The food, however, was exquisi-”


“Jeongyeon, I’m not interested in food.”


“Oh? Since when? Are you sick?” Jeongyeon immediately stood up; her right hand already went reaching out towards Nayeon’s forehead, wondering if the girl catches a fever without her knowing.


“Yah ahjumma, that’s not what I meant.” The younger girl swatted her arm away gently and rolled her eyes.


“Omo, who are you calling me ahjumma?”


“Unnie.”


Jeongyeon hated the girl’s tone right now. She knows. The girl is curious and worried about her. But all she wants to for the day is not to be reminded how foolish she’s being right now, and whenever she’s in front of Nayeon, as if her one way mirror suddenly becomes two ways.


She can see the tall girl’s thoughts, every emotions, every memories, every secrets... But at the same time, the girl can also see hers; more often that she would admit.


Nayeon’s ability to read her does come in handy some other days when words become too complicated for her, when she can’t just explain her feelings away, when she just needed someone to be there for her without asking questions. Nayeon can just stare at her and she’ll know right away.


It’s scary sometimes, to be this much vulnerable to someone but somehow; if that someone is Nayeon, Jeongyeon feels very glad to have the younger girl as her friend. Though Nayeon was born and raised as Young Lady Im, but for sure Im Nayeon is a different person in real life.


She’s so different.

 


Flashback~

 


“Have you seen my latest mp3 player? It’s amazing! Daddy made it in pink colour just for me; he bought it when he was in London.” The girl said, flaunting around the tiny music box around in her right hand.


“Me too! But mine is red and mother gave it to me for my birthday’s present.” Another one exclaimed.


“How about you Jeongyeon? Show us yours!” The boy next to her nudged her on her left shoulder. Tiny Jeongyeon can’t help but to lower her gaze to her now more interesting study table in front of her; she can feel the other students' stare on her, making her feel rather uncomfortable and extremely trapped.


“I don’t have one.” Young Jeongyeon answered, receiving the end of the laughter from the boys and girls in the class.


“Yah! How come? Everyone has one!”


“Because she can’t afford it! Jeongyeon is so poor!” The girl next to her right laughed, encouraging the other classmates to tease along.


Jeongyeon felt like she wants to cry. It’s not as if she doesn’t want one, she just doesn’t have money to buy one. She barely can eat dinner nowadays, not that it was her adopted mother’s fault. She can see how much work her mother has done. Balancing two jobs between the day and night ever since his husband died a few months ago.


She keeps quiet and she keeps on working to keep Jeongyeon well fed, even though the girl knows how tiring it can be. Her mother asked her about her wish for her birthday, Jeongyeon wanted so bad to have the mp3 player but she couldn’t say it. Mrs. Choi has been so nice to her.


Her previous adopted parents didn’t even give her any dinner. She got lucky when Mrs. Choi decided to adopt her a few years after.


The others were right; she was poor. But at least she has someone that she can call a ‘mother’; a person that Jeongyeon has only ever heard in a book but never in real life, a person who would love her just the way she is.


“How childish! Not everyone should have those tiny annoying thing.” Suddenly a voice said coming from behind her, taking everybody’s unwanted attentions away from her.


“Im Nayeon, go away! No juniors allowed.”


“No juniors my . My father is a lawyer, I’d do what I want whenever I want and if you have problems with that, my father can put you in jails then!” The others turned silent, everyone knows what a Im family could do and no one messes with a Im, ever.


“Unnie!” The younger girl directed at her.


“Y-Yes?”


“You don’t need one to be cool, you know? But if you want, you can borrow mine. I go bored easily of this kind of things easily.” The girl smiled, walking towards the sitting girl as the other students started to dispersed away from the circle.


“Oh? T-Thank you.” Jeongyeon bowed, thanking the girl for saving her from an almost horrendous situation.


“No problem! The name is Im Nayeon.” The girl smiled, extending her right hand for the older one to take.


“Hello Nayeon-shi, may name is Jeongyeon.” She said as shook she the junior’s hand gently.


And that was how their lifetime friendship began, over a simple mp3 player and Jeongyeon prays every single day; lucky to have the younger girl as her best friend ever since.

 


End Flashback~


 

“Meeting her was... also interesting.”


“How so? Did she recognizes you?”


“No.”


Nayeon nodded in response, satisfied with the new info she just gained.


“She’s so different Nayeon-ah. As if she’s changed from what we remember her as. She’s kinder, brighter and even fr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter