Lasagna for Three

Lasagna for Three

 

 

 

The sweet smell of food fills the apartment. Once again, Minjun checks the table, makes sure it is set the way he likes it. The salad is ready, so is the lasagna, and the garlic bread only needs a couple of more minutes. There is nothing more that he needs to do, so he stops, and takes a deep breath.

 

Maybe he is a bit nervous. It's the first time his sister brings home a man. For the longest time, it has been only the two of them, but ever since she got a new police partner, it has always been 'Chansung this, Chansung that,' mixed with a constant flow of 'Oppa you have to meet him,' until he ran out of excuses of why he shouldn't.

 

It's not like he doesn't want to meet this person. Everyone important to Min, is important to him too. It's just that, the way she constantly talks about how wonderful he is, makes it clear that they are sharing more than a police car. He doesn't mind his sister dating, it's not that. But now since she's bringing this guy home, it must be serious. And though Minjun is happy for her, it also makes him realize how alone he would be without her.

 

The door is opened, ripping him away from his thoughts.

“Oppa, we're here!” She shouts, and he puts on a fake smile that immediately is washed away at the shock of seeing Min's boyfriend.

 

He is unbelievably gorgeous. Exactly his type. Like someone stepping right out of his fantasies, only better. Tall and broad shouldered, Minjun can only imagine how amazing he will look in his police uniform. Yes, it's a cliché, but he can't help it, there is something about men in uniform that makes him weak in the knees, always has.

 

Often he wonders if it is because of his influence that his younger sister became a police officer, since he kept dragging her to every cop movie ever shown. He knows that they have exactly the same taste when it comes to movies. But the fact that they also share tastes in men, comes as a surprise.

Not only Chansung's body, but his face is also flawlessly handsome, with a sweetness to it, and when he smiles, Minjun's stomach does a flipflop. He is in trouble.

 

Offering them to take a seat at the dinner table, Minjun excuses himself to the kitchen, slaps himself in the face a couple of times, and then brings the lasagna to the dining room. There, his stomach takes another dip, because his sister's boyfriend is simply that handsome. Perhaps he's boring, unlikable, Minjun secretly hopes. But he's not. He's funny, and cute, and listens to everything that Minjun says with great interest, and he's cute. He's also kind to Min and sweet and loves the food that Minjun makes, to the point that it makes him blush. And he's cute.

 

When Min tells a story, he doesn't flinch one bit when she casually mentions Minjun's ex-boyfriend, so he's not even homophobic. There is absolutely nothing wrong with him, except being way too perfect. Impossible not too like a bit too much.

 

So when Min and Chansung goof around and playfully push each other, Minjun is jealous. Because he's a horrible person, he becomes jealous of his sister and her amazing boyfriend. He can so easily picture it, Chansung goofing around with him instead, hugging him, teasing him, loving him.

 

Chansung notices him looking at him and smiles back. Minjun blushes and looks away, takes a sip of his white wine. It's light, yet flavorful. Even the wine his sister's boyfriend brings is great.

 

They move onto the couch, Chansung sits next to Min, and smiles at her, which stings a little. Minjun feels guilty, because he wants his sister to be happy, he truly does. He doesn't want to be jealous, so he tries not to be. Min starts telling childhood stories, which is embarrassing enough, and when she prepares to bring out the family photo album, it's too much so he excuses himself.

 

The evening air is not too cold, fresh, and Minjun lights himself a cigarette, even though Min wants him to quit. It relaxes him, and he looks over the city. The sounds of Min and Chansung, laughing and whispering, flow through the balcony door and Minjun swallows heavily. His future flashes before his eyes, he is going to watch them be happy together for the rest of his life, because it makes no sense to ever break up with someone so perfect.

 

Shaking his head, he breaks his negative chain of thoughts. He remembers how much he loves his sister, and decides to be happy for her. He barely knows this guy, it's not like he is in love with him. It has just been a long time since something inside him stirred like that. Probably he needs to go out more, meet someone of his own, then perhaps he won't envy his sister this much. Min's voice echoes in his head: 'Just because you are gay, doesn't mean that you can't be happy.' He sighes.

 

The door is opened up and Chansung steps onto the balcony, and rests against the railing next to him. So close, that their arms touch.

“The view is fantastic,” he says.

“Mmh, it's alright.” The warmth against Minjun's arm is nice, and for a few guilty seconds he enjoys it, before he pulls away, and puts out his cigarette.

 

“Min tells me you like jazz?”

“Yes,” Minjun uses the opportunity to steal a glance, and curses internally. How can he be so handsome. “Do you?”

“A bit...”

That doesn't sound very convincing. Most likely, Min told him to ask about jazz, forcing them to bond, which is a dangerous thing to do. His sister is too trusting.

Then Chansung adds more honestly: “I like music in general.”

“Yeah? What kind?” Despite himself, he is interested.

“Many kinds.” Then he blushes ever so slightly, and Minjun decides it is the sweetest thing he has ever seen, before he admits: “When I was younger, actually, I wanted to be an idol.”

“An idol?” This is so unexpected that it makes Minjun laugh. He can not picture it. This big manly police officer acting like a flower boy.

“Yes, I did an audition and everything.” Chansung smiles and doesn't seem to mind that Minjun is laughing at him.

“How did it go?”

“The dancing was okay... I think.” His bright voice turns less enthusiastic, “The singing... not so much.”

Minjun laughs. Somehow he would like to see this big bulky man dance and sing an idol song.

“Do you regret not becoming an idol?”

“Not really,” Chansung laughs and it's the sweetest sound in the world. Minjun wants to drown in it. “But sometimes is fun to picture what my life would be like, if I had succeeded.”

“Mmh...” Minjun can understand that, wanting a different life from his own. Like one where the two of them... He stops his thoughts.

“But I do wish I could sing, though.”

“I'm sure you're fine.”

“Not really,” Chansung laughs, “...but Min tells me that you are a great singer?”

“I... I'm okay.” Minjun blushes.

“I would love to hear it!”

“Maybe... someday.” It's too easy, imagining singing for him, those big bright eyes staring at him in adoration. Way too easy, and his stomach becomes warm.

“I hope so,” Chansung smiles and turns him into a mess.

 

The silence between them is not calm, but not uncomfortable, like the excitement of a first date.

“Honestly...” Chansung starts, “I don't know that much about jazz...” Minjun is not surprised. “But I would like to learn more,” he adds. “Actually... I happen to have two tickets to a jazz concert next Saturday and was wondering if you want to come with me? It's some band... It's supposed to be good?”

“Ehm.” Even though he doesn't want to, Minjun starts picturing them sitting together at a table, listening to good music, Chansung asking him cute questions. Later, they start dancing, closer and closer, then they end up at his house, and Chansung brings out his police officer uniform... Shaking his head, Minjun tries to get rid of these thoughts before they get even more ridiculous, even more out of control, but his heart is already pounding. “Just the two of us?” he blurts out.

“Well... yes.” Chansung's slight smirk makes him dangerously handsome.

“W-What about Min?”

“What about her?”

“Shouldn't she come too?”

Face turning bright red, Minjun suddenly realizes that Chansung has no idea what effec he has on him, with his face and his chest and his arms that fill out his shirt a little bit to well, and those shoulders that are a gift from god to people who like men in uniform. Minjun feels embarrassed, and doesn't know how to explain that spending an evening like that together means different things to him than it does to Chansung.

 

Those handsome eyebrows pull together in a frown, and Minjun's heart sinks to the ground. God, he knows. He definitely knows. Slowly, he asks:

“Why do you think Min invited me over?”

“Because you are her boyfriend, of course,” he says naturally, pretending that he isn't jealous, that this doesn't hurt. But then Chansung laughs.

“No, I'm not.”

“Are you sure?” Minjun feels bad for Min, maybe she misunderstood. It's easy to get carried away when someone is this gorgeous.

“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.” When Minjun doesn't seem convinced, he sighs. “Min has a boyfriend who is not me. Besides, I'm gay and she knows it.”

'Gay. GAY. GAAAY!!!!' Minjun internally screams, heart beating like a machine gun. But somehow he stupidly says:

“She has a boyfriend? Why didn't she tell me?”

“Well...” Chansung moves closer, “If you look at all her 'boyfriends' the way you look at me, then I understand why she wouldn't want to bring one home.”

“H-H-How did I look at you?”

“Like you wanted to eat me.” Sneakily, he puts his hand on Minjun's hip.

“I-I certainly did not.” His face is about to explode.

“Oh,” Chansung's big upper lip pushes into a pout and it's the most irresistible thing imaginable. Now both of his hands are on Minjun's hips and he pulls him closer and whispers: “I've been flirting with you all night and I was hoping it was working.”

Before he gets the chance to answer, Chansung bends forward, and softly brushes his lips against his. When Minjun feels how soft they are, his knees get weak but Chansung holds him steady. Afterwards he feels dizzy, doesn't remember when he last had a kiss so sweet. Then Chansung smiles and he becomes dizzier.

“So... I'll pick you up at eight?”

Minjun nods. Of course he nods.

The eyes staring back at him become even brighter, and he stops Minjun's heart beat with a wink, before he goes back into the apartment, leaving him alone on the balcony.

 

Leaning back onto the railing, Minjun's chest is suddenly filled with overflowing energy. He has a date. He actually has a date. In three days. With a man shaped like a god. A man who is sweet and funny and y and has a police uniform. A real one. And is a fantastic kisser. Unconsciously, Minjun touches his lips.

 

“Oppa!” Min's voice interrupts his thoughts. “Come back inside,” she calls, “We are going to look at some childhood photos.”

Her voice is kind of teasing, so probably she knows already about the date. A couple of times, Minjun slaps himself on the cheeks, but it is no use. The smile won't go away. So he just gives up, and because he wants to see him again, Minjun hurries back into the living room.