04.

All the way with you

If x and y are non-negative, simplify (256x21y22)1/4

My head was already starting to hurt. Uhn, from where do I begin solving this? I moved my eyes to the alternatives.

A) 4xy

XY? I doesn’t make sense. How do I even get to an incognito like this?

B) 4x21/4y11/2

This one has a difficult exponent just like the one on the in the enunciation. It could be this one.

C) 256x21/4y11/2

D) 16x21/4y9/2

Uh-oh. C and D also had exponents. My head was really hurting right now. How will I solve this? I looked at the last alternative.

E) None of the above.

I felt the urge to mark this one, since it was the only one which language I could understand. I scratched the back of my head with the pencil I was holding still trying to figure out how to solve the problem. Math is such a difficult subject. The fact that the final exam would happen in two days began to terrify me, because if I did not pass my parents would definitely kill me.

The thought made my palms start sweating. I sighed and rose my head from the book I was reading, realizing that someone was sitting on the chair in front of me watching me amusedly.

- “Hallo schöne Mädchen” – Jinyoung said with a smile. Suddenly I started to feel my blood boil. I tried to keep my cool.

-“I already told you I only speak English.” – I replied with a serious look while crossing my hands in front of my chest. – “Are you sure you do?” – He mocked, pulling the book towards him to read it. I blew a strand of hair that was in front of my eyes so Jinyoung could clearly see that I was rolling them.

–“Oh, math problem?” – He said reading carefully the page. –“Do you need help solving this?” – He looked deeply to my eyes.

Now I was in a dilemma. I didn’t really want Jinyoung to help me, he is so full of himself! But at the same time, I was really having a hard time at this subject. I was so desperate to pass the test that I decided to give up. I just nodded bashfully to answer his question.

Jinyoung smiled and reached to touch my hand. –“May I?” – I took a second to realize that he was actually referring to the pencil I was holding. I handed it blushing a little bit. He promptly solved the problem and then explained it to me. I was surprised because it was not impossible to solve and Jinyoung really did explain well.

-“Oh, I understand now!” – I said clapping my hands. –“It’s not that impossible. And you really solved it quickly!” – I knew I was just filling even more his ego, but I couldn’t hide my awe.

Jinyoung laughed. –“Of course I did. What more do you expect from the number one student in the school?” – He said smiling with cockiness. I already regretted saying it, but the feeling didn’t last long because what he said about number one student intrigued me.  

When Jinyoung told me his name that other day, I felt that it was a familiar name, but I just couldn’t remember where I did heard it. Could it be that…?

 

My cheeks burned and I instantly blushed.

 

-“A! A-are you that Jung Jinyoung?!” – I shouted. Oh my god! Is he really the number one student from our school? I didn’t even know how he looks like, I only heard rumors that the number one student was really attentive and kind hearted towards the others, and that he was so intelligent that the score difference between him and the second student was over 100 points!

It couldn’t be true. The image I had of the first student was flawless, and that Jinyoung was so different from what I thought he would be. This Jinyoung isn’t that kind hearted, he is cocky and arrogant. But, this could explain how he knew so many languages!

He smirked, standing up from the chair. – “That Jung Jinyoung? I’m one of a kind.” – He held my chin and lessened the distance between our faces. – “Are you already sad for not wanting to date me?” – I just couldn’t breathe. His face was so close to mine that he was probably feeling the heat that made my cheeks burn.

-“Excuse me.” – I heard a male voice protest next to where we were. Jinyoung and I turned to see the source of it.

-“Could you let her go?” – Suho told in a cold tone. Jinyoung had his eyes pinned on Suho’s and for a second he hesitated to release my chin. –“You are Suho, right?” – He said with his hand no longer in my face and walked to Suho. When Jinyoung reached his target he whispered something to him that I was unable to listen, he then turned to look at me. –“ Auf Wiedersehen!” – Jinyoung smiled and then left the classroom.

 

My heart was beating so fast.

 

I kept my head lowered to try to regain my breath. Jinyoung was such a playboy! What on earth was he thinking on doing? And what did he said to Suho? Suho! He did come to save me! Could it be that he was watching us for a long time? My breathing grew irregular again. He came to help me! I means, that he cares for me right?

A flame of hope filled my body. Was Suho jealous? Was Suho worried about me? Could it be that he broke up with Hayun and realized my love for him? I started to shake from excitement.

I lifted my head and Suho was not in the class anymore. I turned my body to look for him and saw his back outside the door. I ran to reach him but when I came closer, I saw him petting the head of a smiling Hayun.

 

My heart broke again.

 

What are you doing Suho? Why are you giving me hopes all over again when you don’t mean to love me properly? Even though I tried to hold them, the warm tears dripped over my cheeks.

 

I am such a fool.

 

It’s no use to cry. I need to confess my love as soon as possible. How could he know how I feel if I haven’t told him? I need to do something about this. Even though he might reject me. Even though he doesn’t like me the way I like him.

 

I need to do something about it.

 

 

 

 

I waited Suho at the entrance hall at the end of the classes. He took a while to show up, more than his usual time. Maybe he was talking with Hayun?

Fortunately, when he appeared at the hall he was alone. My hands were shaking, but I just couldn’t miss this opportunity! I gathered all the courage I had and walked towards him.

-“Yah, Bora what are you doing here?” – Suho said walking in my direction. -“Am…I-I” – I stuttered and Suho cut me out before I could reply. –“Today is Friday isn’t it? Your mother gives you a ride home at Fridays doesn’t’ she?” – He asked curious.

 

I took a deep breath.

 

 That’s it, that was my chance. Even if you say that you don’t love, even if you reject me, please, you need to know about my heart.

 

Please accept it.

 

-“I…I just wanted to be with you, Suho.” – My hands were trembling. –“I want to walk with you.” - – My body was trembling. – “I like you.” – I said in a soft tone and felt as if I had taken a weight off my back.

-“Liar.” – He simply said. WHAT. –“You are just saying this because I am getting serious with Hayun right?” – I just stood there looking at him speechless and with weak legs.

-“You don’t need to worry, Bora. I won’t forget you.” – He said shaking my shoulders, as if trying to make the vitality come back to my body. – “I know you want a boyfriend so badly. So it’s natural that you rely on the person next to you, which is me.” – Suho had a comprehensive voice.

-“Suho, how can you say this? That I just rely on you because I want a boyfriend?” – My voice was higher than normal. –“Suho, please! I remember all the good moments we spent together! When you asked me to help you with the subject you had difficulty five years ago. The moment when your parents traveled for one month and you spent the days at my house when we were 13. When our science project won the first place three years ago. When you fought that guy who was stalking me at middle school.” – I wiped the tears from my eyes. –“I remember everything, so don’t call me a liar!”- I shouted and then the hall remained silent. I lowered my head and didn’t dare to look at Suho. Some minutes passed and the lack of response from him killed me more every second.

-“Suho, do you really like Hayun?” – I asked as a last bit of hope that I was holding. –“Yes.” – He replied and I looked into his eyes to read the truth in it. –“If I didn’t liked her, I wouldn’t be dating her.” – Suho simply said.

That’s it.

 It is true.

Suho doesn’t like me.

Doesn’t matter how much I try.

-“I understand.” – I faked a smile. –“It’s ok Suho. I am not mad.” – Suho casually petted my head and gave me a weak smile. –“Ok, you should get going home then. I need to meet with Hayun right now.” – Suho said turning his back at me. As each footstep he gave, my heart ached more.

One more step.

Please don’t go.

One more step.

Please stay with me.

One more step.

Don’t leave me.

-“SUHO!!” – As if the feeling was too much to hold, I shout his name across the hall, not being able to hold back my tears. –“Please…” – Suho just walked back and hugged me. I felt the perfume of his hair and the warmth of his body.

 

 I was happy.

 

The tears started to fall even more.