Chapter 4

To Heaven & Back [UNDER CONSTRUCTION]

Taehyung was about to quit. He was about to get on the elevator and take it right to the CEO office and tell him he quits. He was a temp agency employee, he was good at filing and scanning and taking payments. He was good at writing up executions for judgments and filing for court. He was even good at balancing books. All skills he’d been taught and trained to do. This, however, he was failing horribly at with flying colors.
                The phone hadn’t stopped ringing. People were coming off the elevator every five minutes to either drop something off that needed to be signed or asking to speak with Mr. Jung, he couldn’t tell which files were supposed to be put on his desk for review, he didn’t know what was supposed to be put in the outbox for post and he didn’t have log in access to the calendar to update it. Not that he knew what needed to be updated anyway.
                He couldn’t ask anyone because he didn’t know who to ask and every time he tried he was ignored or looked at like he was speaking a different language. Mr. Jung still hadn’t arrived back from brunch with his mother which conflicted with the meetings he had lined up for the day that were coming in and out of the office to speak with him. When he tried to call the man he was sent straight to voicemail.
                “What is going on here?” A voice chimed over the nonstop ringing of the phone. Taehyung looked towards the elevator to see a tall handsome young man carrying a box of what looked to be files.
                “A disaster is currently taking place and if those are more things that I have to file away or get signed or put on calendar you can turn right back around because I am no longer in charge. I quit and I’m going to tell the CEO right now.” Taehyung said exhaustedly.
                “What!? You can’t quit! Weren’t you just hired today?” The stranger spoke.
                “So what!? I can and I will quit! This is too much. I thought I could handle it but clearly I’m not cut out for this volume of responsibility! No one has trained me so I’m a drowning duck in the water!!”
                At this the stranger couldn’t help but to laugh placing the box on the desk. Taehyung looked like a little crazy elf. The stranger walked around to Taehyung and gently placed his hands on either shoulder. Taehyung confused and a little worried that a stranger was touching him tried to push him off but was stopped by the others words.
                “Okay okay calm down and take a breath. It’s okay to feel like this the first day on the job. I felt like this too on my first day. My name is James by the way. What’s yours?” James said. He watched as Taehyung hesitantly took a deep breath before he spoke.
                “Kim Taehyung.” Taehyung whispered dejectedly.
                “Well, Taehyung, ducks float making it impossible for them to drown. So let’s teach you how to float!” James smiled making Taehyung feel a little bit better.

James had turned out to be one of the greatest teacher and trainer that Taehyung has ever had. He crammed a whole two weeks of training into just a few hours. He started with the phone teaching him that he had four main lines and depending on the matter of the call would determine what line the call was sent to. He taught him about the filing cabinets and they were lined up based on importance and the files were color coded. The cabinets were lined up from most important to least important; the most important being the very first cabinet and the least being the last. The files were colored according to importance as well. The red files for the urgent matters, yellow for the serious but not urgent matters and the green ones were everyday matters that needed to be attended to.
                It wasn’t long before Taehyung was moving around on his own getting things together and back organized. He was just finishing putting the last meeting on calendar when James came up.
                “Alright looks like my work here is done! Remember, little duckling, we float!” James said enthusiastically smiling at him.
                “Wait! You can’t leave now! I have a few questions and…and” Taehyung honestly just didn’t want James to leave. He was comfortable around him and he was the only one that’s even treated him with the slightest bit of kindness since he arrived.
                “Taehyung I know what you’re trying to do.” James said chuckling as he crossed his arms and leaned against the desk.
                “You do?”
                “Yes and it’s working.”
                “It is?” Taehyung said a little confused now.
                “I’ll stay but only if you let me treat you to lunch.” James smiled.
                “I can’t let you do that! I didn’t…I mean I have a few more things I want to go over and Mr. Jung will be back any minute from his meeting with his mother and…you don’t have to really.”
                “It’s okay little duck, I don’t mind and Hoseok normally spends hours with his mother during their brunch meetings. Come, the cafeteria is pretty awesome. Have you been given the tour?” James smile widened as he held out his arm for Taehyung to take. With little hesitation Taehyung hooked his arm with James and they were off.

 heu heu e_e