Coffees & Love Notes One-Shot

Inseparable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo can’t remember when he started using girlish hairclips but he can recall how it started.

His brother’s girlfriend’s younger sister would sometimes play with his hair if he needed to babysit her, back then. Using her tiny hand, she would grab a handful of hair and clip it with the other. Wonwoo never minded even if she tugged his hair harshly.

“Ta da.” She babbled, holding up her hands far from each other and smiling at her creation. Wonwoo’s hair were entangled and was a mess. She gave him a mirror which he took with a small smile, and he wanted to laugh at his reflection when he saw what she did.

Wonwoo placed the mirror down and plastered a smile on his face, “It’s wonderful.”

“Wonwoo-oppa looks cute with these.” She said as she carefully removed the hair clips. Wonwoo was about to help her when she halted him. “I’ll do it! Just tell me if it hurts.”

Wonwoo nodded and let her do the work. Sometimes the clips will be entangled with the dark black hair but Wonwoo held back the pain, knowing it will reside as soon as she took it off.

“Oppa, give me your hands.” She commanded. He was unsure of what she’ll do but knowing she won’t do anything dumb or reckless, he obeyed her. Suddenly, he felt a light weight on his palm. “I’ll give this to oppa. It’s your birthday the next, next day, right?”

He smiled and ruffled her hair. “I can’t take this. I’m a guy.”

“But oppa looks cute in it.” The little girl didn’t fail to make him blush. Wonwoo couldn’t resist the small pout on her lips, pleading to just take the pins with him.

“Well, okay then.” Wonwoo placed them inside his pocket. He’ll probably return it to his brother to give it to his girlfriend.

The girl grinned widely, showing off her bucked teeth. “Thank you, oppa!”

 

 

In the end, he didn’t return it.

xx

The first time he met Mingyu was outside his work and off-campus.

 

They were still in high school and Wonwoo was still babysitting children from the preschool his mom works. Mingyu lived a bit far from them but he would sometimes babysit the boy that lived next to his house. He recalled the picket fences that parted the garden, and the old treehouse inside Mingyu’s yard; the reason how they met.

“Hyung,” The child sobbed, sticky substance falling off his nose. Wonwoo abruptly took a handkerchief, wiping of the stain. “Hyungggg,”

“What’s wrong?” He crouched in front of the boy and worriedly wiped the younger’s sweat with a face towel. Wonwoo was busy watering the plants to notice what the child was doing. He would gain something from it too.

“The ball…” He pointed to the house beside theirs. The house was small yet bigger than Wonwoo’s. It doesn’t have a scary exterior; in fact, the baby blue walls made it look adorable and aesthetically pleasing. Wonwoo wondered why he was pointing to a tree until he looked up and saw a broken and rusty treehouse. Inside it, Wonwoo could see the ball rolling before it rested in a corner. How did get up there?

Wonwoo stared at his sides, unsure of what to do until a thought hit him. “Do you want me to, uhm,” He nudged his head to the direction. “Get the ball in there?”

The boy nodded and Wonwoo stood up. He looked around and saw a small stool. He took it, placing it in front of the tall picket fence and stood on it, pushing his weight upwards as he climbed on the white wall. He yelped when he lost balance and fell on a guy, napping on the grassy ground. He woke the latter and Wonwoo swore he hit his head on the man’s sturdy chest.

“Sorry,” When he looked up to face the boy, Wonwoo lost his words and blushed because wow, the boy was handsome.

Compared to Wonwoo, the boy had muscles flexed as he held his weight on the ground. His skin is tanner and his hair shone and, ‘Is that ash blue?’. Wonwoo never knew.

He pulled away from the boy, moving far from him but cautious. He could hear the child behind the fence asking if he’s okay.

“I-I’m okay…” He said, drifting to a smaller voice as he continued the staring contest with the unknown male. He whispered a small, “…I’m not okay.” Hoping it won’t get heard. His chest was pounding and Wonwoo wasn’t sure if it was because he was nervous or embarrassed.

“Uh, hi, um.” Wonwoo started, shyly looking away from the boy. “I, uh, sorry for trespassing.”

“Yeah, I could’ve sued you.” His face flushed even more when he heard how velvety the sound of the man’s voice. (And because of his sin.) “But you’re cute, so I’ll let you pass.”

Wonwoo face was sure burning and was it because of the sun? He didn’t speak and stared down, ashamed of himself. “Sorry,” He muttered.

“I’ll let you go if you explain to me why you trespassed here.” Wonwoo heard the boy say and he explained what happened, carefully choosing his words. “I see… So that kid over there… Is he your brother?”

“Uh, no.” Wonwoo clarified. “I’m just babysitting him for the day.”

“Oh, okay. So,” The boy pointed upwards. “His toy is up in there?”

“Yeah,” Wonwoo nodded, shamefully. “Uh, can I get it?”

“It’s a bit old and I’m not so sure if the wood is still safe.” The boy furrowed his brows and ‘what the ? He still looks attractive.’ “But, I think it can still hold you. You look thin.”

“Wonwoo-hyung, are you still alive?” They heard the boy asked.

“Uh, yeah, I think I still am.” Wonwoo replied and he wanted to smack himself.

“Wonwoo…” The boy nodded slowly with an approved gazed. “That’s a nice name.”

‘He said nice not beautiful. WHY IS MY HEART STILL POUNDING STAHP’

“My name is Mingyu.” Mingyu grinned and held his hand out.

“Mingyu.” Wonwoo repeated before he reached his hand to shake it. He tried to ignore the boy when he his lips, because, the hell? His lips looked were plump and kissable. Wonwoo stood up and helped Mingyu upwards and he’s going to ignore the slight electric shock he felt when he touched the boy’s hand. When Mingyu stood in front of him, Wonwoo found himself looking up. He was one of the tallest guy in his class but how come someone else is taller than him?

“I’ll, uh, go get the ball now and leave as soon as I get it.” He whispered and scooted his way towards the tree, with a pounding chest and a sweating hand.

Carefully, he held the grip on top of his head and pushed himself up. He cautiously climbed up and yelped when he heard a creak.

“You okay up there?” Mingyu asked.

“I don’t know.” Wonwoo confessed, hands sweating and he almost lost his grip until he started climbing upwards even more.

When he reached the top, he sighed in relief and looked for the red ball. When he spotted it, he crawled his way there, watching where he’ll place his hands and knees as there are cracks below him. He got the ball safely and he made his way back to the window, throwing it to the kid who cried in happiness.

He made his way to the ladder but he stopped when he noticed how high he was from the ground. Wonwoo wasn’t usually afraid of heights, and it wasn’t that high but why was he feeling so nervous? With shaky hands, he climbed down but as soon as his foot landed at the creaking step, it broke and Wonwoo fell backwards when he tried to step on the grip after the broken one. He waited for the ground to hit him hard but it never came when he felt someone hold him. They both fell backwards, Mingyu hitting the ground and Wonwoo hitting Mingyu’s chest.

“A-are you okay?” Wonwoo asked as soon as he heard Mingyu groan.

“Yeah, you owe me your life, princess.” Mingyu showed off his crooked teeth and Wonwoo smiled a little.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Xx

“Thank you!” Wonwoo bowed to the customer who just left. He went to the staff’s room to get more filters. He returned with a box full of it and saw a cheeky customer dinging the bell seven times, earning a few confused stares and glares.

“You’re disturbing everyone.” Wonwoo said and stopped in front of the tall man. “Will you get the usual, Mingyu-sii?”

“Stop with the formalities already.” Mingyu grumbled. “We’ve known each other since high school, so stop.”

Wonwoo blushed a little and smiled. “So, what? Will you get something or just use the WiFi again?” Wonwoo peered at the taller. “You know that we pay for that and you need to order something to use it.”

“Uh, I think I want something else.” Mingyu sighed with a grin. He looked up at the small chalkboards displaying the menus and crunched his eyebrows and Wonwoo won’t admit it but it was cute. “Say, Won. You never tell me what you like.”

Wonwoo was caught off-guard. “What?” He asked.

“I mean, if you were to order something here, what would it be?” Mingyu made it clear and faced Wonwoo.

“Oh, uh…” Wonwoo thought of it, deeply. Staffs don’t usually get free coffee but they do get discounts, but Wonwoo doesn’t usually use the discounts and never put thought on what he orders. Wonwoo stared up as if the yellow lighting could give him some answers. “I like the vanilla lattes Jun makes but the Cookie Frappe here is my favorite. I don’t usually buy any drinks here but my favorite food would be the croissant.”

Mingyu grinned and took out his wallet, “I’ll take those, then.”

“Wait, what?” Wonwoo faced Mingyu with wide eyes. “What if you don’t like it?”

“Well, if I don’t like it, then I’ll give it to you.” Mingyu winked and placed his cash. “Keep the change, honey.”

Wonwoo watched his back with flushed cheeks because did Kim ing Mingyu called him an endearment?

“Smooth, Won,” Jeonghan patted his back with a smirk. “Smooth. Almost there, lover boy and you’ll get the man.”

“He just called me honey and that’s far from getting the man.” Wonwoo rolled his eyes but a little hope sparked inside his chest.

“You’ll get a longer break if you go talk to him right now.” Jeonghan said, scooting his head towards Mingyu who was playing with his phone.

“My shift is not even done, hyung.” Wonwoo hissed and narrowed his eyes to the elder.

“I’ll talk to my dad and,” Jeonghan took a few cash from the registrar. “We don’t usually keep the changes of our personal favorite people. Give this back to him.”

“What do you mean we don’t usually keep the change?” Wonwoo frowned and hit Jeonghan with a plastic cup. “What about the old woman you like to talk with? You kept her change,”

“It’s because she insisted. Besides, she’s a relative of my man.” Jeonghan glared and crossed his arms, cash still on hand.

“Jisoo-hyung is not yours.”

“Oh, I got his phone number.” Jeonghan brightened as he raked his fingers through his long hair.

“How did you get it?” Awe was plastered on Wonwoo’s face but he smiled, nonetheless.

“Went to church every day.” Jeonghan winked. “I also asked your best friend’s boyfriend to introduce me to him.”

Wonwoo gawked. “Seungcheol? Why him, though?”

“He’s some ex of Jisoo, so…” Jeonghan shrugged and smiled. “Jisoo and I get to talk for hours too!”

“Now, go before Jeonghan gets the guy who barely notices him.” Junhui interfered. He was taking out a few cups and coffee holders.

“At least I get to flirt with him!”

“Well Wonwoo is just shy, let him be.”

 

Wonwoo watched the two as they bicker. He was entertained but slightly confused. Mingyu was probably waiting for his girlfriend so why would he bother the younger?

“You know, I’ll make his order longer.” Junhui woke him from his thoughts. “So, you have to make a move already.”

“He has a girlfriend! Do I have to remind you?” Wonwoo rubbed his forehead with a small frown on his face.

“We will never know if she’s his girlfriend.” Jeonghan said, holding Junhui’s tie.

“I thought you were rooting for my secret admirer?” Wonwoo wondered.

“Unless they have no plans on showing up soon.” Jeonghan lifted his shoulders in a half shrug.

Wonwoo pondered and played with his apron. He ducked his head and thought of the probabilities that might happen. With a small sigh and with a hesitant voice, he replied, “Okay, I’ll go there.”

“Yes!” The two elder males cheered in unison.

“Now go!” Junhui gestured his hand to go away.

“No, wait.” Jeonghan threw Wonwoo’s apron away and ruffled his hair. “You look good even with a messy hair.”

“He looked like he just woke up.”

“Shush, Jun. You’re not helping.” Jeonghan told him while he is folding the white sleeves on Wonwoo’s blouse. He removed a few lint on the clothing and he surprised Wonwoo when he pinched his cheeks. “Now, you look adorable.”

“Why did you pinch hard?” Wonwoo pouted while he rubbed his right cheek. Jeonghan didn’t reply but pushed him away.

“Now, go! He looks so lonely.” Jeonghan waved at Wonwoo.

He ignored Junhui was he whisper-shouted, “And bring home babies!”

Sweat trickled on his forehead despite the well-ventilated area. Wonwoo pulled his sleeves, he didn’t mind the effort Jeonghan placed on it. He was in the verge of running away or breaking down because he can’t do it. Nope, not until Mingyu would stop looking at him like he was the secret the world had kept for so long.

Wonwoo stood in front of him, clenching his fists on his side while he stared away. “Mind if I seat with you?”

Mingyu nodded while he lifted a brow. “Your shift is not done yet, right?”

“Well, technically it isn’t.” Wonwoo turned crimson while he tapped the table quietly. “But Jeonghan-hyung and Jun forced me to accompany you for a while.”

Wonwoo’s ears rang when he heard Mingyu’s heavenly laugh. “Well, that’s really nice of them.”

“Yeah, they rarely do it.” The corner of the elder’s lips quirked a bit. He rubbed the inner portion of his hands, rolling his thumb around the slender fingers. They were quiet but it was comfortable; well maybe to Mingyu, but Wonwoo is still panicking in the inside.

“Uh,” They said at the same time. They looked at each other, confused but laugh at the end.

“You go first,” Wonwoo suggested while he nodded his head to Mingyu.

“Well, okay then.” Mingyu chuckled. “Why aren’t you babysitting the kid next door anymore?”

“He doesn’t need me anymore.” Wonwoo told him and Mingyu grinned.

“How about the plants? They’re wilting now, you know.” Mingyu questioned, rubbing circles on the polished table.

“Really?” Wonwoo’s eyes widened. “I thought they take care of it.”

“Apparently, the kid’s grandma—the one who usually takes care of it—died.” Mingyu stated.

“Oh? I didn’t know…” Wonwoo should get in contact with the other children he once babysat from now on.

“Do you dog-sit?” Mingyu asked with a little smile. “My dad got us a new dog and I don’t know how to take care of it yet.”

“Oh, no.” Wonwoo shook his head, his face turned pale. “I’m more of a cat person, sorry.”

“Really?” Mingyu pouted with a furrowed brow. He wasn’t looking at Wonwoo but at the window sill. “Then how can we adopt a pet if we don’t like the other?”

“What?” Wonwoo blinked. Was Mingyu flirting on him? Wonwoo shook the thought off. No, maybe he was just recalling something. Maybe his girlfriend also dislikes dogs and forgot that I wasn’t his girlfriend.

“Nothing,” Mingyu gave a dismissive wave of his hand. He rested his temple on it. “What were you trying to say?”

“Well, it’s nothing really important.” Wonwoo removed the hairclips from his hair and placed it inside his pocket. Jeonghan did a huge mess so he winced as he removed one of them. He didn’t fail to notice when Mingyu eyed at the clips.

“You got new ones?” Mingyu gestured on the clips with his pointer finger.

“No, someone gave it to me.” Wonwoo smiled and remembered the letters tucked in a small envelope that sometimes formed a little bump because of the gifts they would leave behind. “I haven’t thanked them personally, though.”

“Why not?” Mingyu asked. He removed his face from his hand and stared at Wonwoo, amused.

“Well, they haven’t showed up yet.” Wonwoo told him. “I’m not really sure if it was addressed to me, though. But because of Jeonghan-hyung and Jun, they clarified it was for me. I don’t know if they know the person, though.” He laughed a little with a small smile.

“I really appreciate their effort but I’m in love with someone else.” Wonwoo admitted, cheeks turning red as he told Mingyu.

“Oh,” Mingyu murmured. “What are they like, then?”

“Well, he’s really great.” Wonwoo laugh as he stared at the other with an adoring gaze. “Really nice too! We’re not so close and met in an inconvenient way but he keeps in touch. I like it that way and most of the time, I’m too shy to start a conversation with him.” Wonwoo played with his fringe. He went to the parlor already and trimmed it shorter but Jihoon forced Wonwoo to keep it below the eyebrows. “Even now.” He whispered and hoped Mingyu didn’t hear.

When he faced Mingyu, there was something in his eyes Wonwoo couldn’t decipher. Sadness? Surprise? It was indecipherable but Wonwoo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter