Chapter 16

Not According to Plan

JaKyung sat on her living room floor, an almost finished bottle of wine sitting on the table in front of her next to her laptop which was open at the news. She lifted her glass with shaky hands as she drained the rest of the wine. “I can’t believe it.” She muttered to herself as she poured the rest of the wine into her glass, half of it slopping on to the shiny table top. She lifted the glass, the light reflecting off of the red liquid, so similar to the colour of freshly spilled blood. She felt bile rising in . She dropped her glass, not caring about the stain it would leave on the cream coloured carpet as she ran to the bathroom.

 

She crouched over the toilet as she threw up, her vomit red because of the wine combined with her otherwise empty stomach. The sight of the red liquid made her stomach churn, forcing out what remained of the wine in her stomach. Tears ran down her cheeks as she sat with her back against the bathtub once she finally stopped heaving. She cried until she had no more tears left. Only then did she leave the bathroom. She slowly made her way into her living room, only to see the stain left behind from the spilled wine which raised more bile in . She rushed back into the bathroom to throw up what little remained in her stomach, her tears picking up their pace.

 

When she finally regained enough energy to move, she rinsed out and headed into her bedroom, making sure not to look at the wine stain on her living room carpet. Wine stains were the least of her worries. She collapsed into bed, still in shock and disbelief. She was too afraid to find out if Alia had survived or not. The news report only stated that she had been rushed to hospital in critical condition, but no further updates had been released. “This wasn’t supposed to happen.” She mumbled as she drifted off into a troubled sleep.

 

 

 

Yoongi barely slept that night. He was too worried about Alia to get any proper rest. Every time he closed his eyes, his mind conjured up images of her mangled car. He had seen the news report whilst he had been in the waiting area of the hospital. The sight of her overturned, mangled car made his stomach twist painfully. He wanted to know exactly what had happened and why the driver of the other car hadn’t called the police and an ambulance after hitting her car. Had they just been scared?

He sat at his desk as the sun began to rise, filling the room with warm light. He rubbed his eyes as he headed into his bedroom, convincing himself that he needed to get at least a little sleep. He pulled the curtains closed to attempt to block out some of the early morning light.

 

He only managed to stay in bed for an hour before he woke up again, his dreams filled with imagined scenarios of Alia dying whilst he slept.

 

He gave up on sleeping and had a shower and got ready. He picked up the things he needed then headed out to the hospital. Alia's father had given the hospital permission to let him visit, even though patients in intensive care were only supposed to have family visitors. The hospital was still quiet when he arrived due to the early hour. He yawned as he headed towards her room, briefly thinking that he should have brought flowers or something, but he had been too busy thinking about seeing her that he hadn’t thought about it until after he had arrived. He promised himself that he would bring flowers the next time he visited.

 

He gave his name and ID to the nurse at the intensive care reception desk before signing in. “Has she woken up yet?” he asked hopefully. The nurse shook her head. “Not yet. It’s not uncommon though given the severity of her accident. Try not to worry too much.” She said as she gave him a sympathetic smile and a visitor’s badge. He clipped on the badge and headed towards Alia's room. He stood by the doorway for several minutes, lots of details that he had missed in his panic last night making themselves known.

 

There was the steady beeping of the heart rate monitor in the corner of the room. Her face was paler than he remembered. Numerous cuts littered her exposed arms and face. There was dried blood in her hair, some of the strands clumping together from the now dry liquid. He stepped into the room, sliding his hand into hers as he sat beside her. Her hand was cold which made him frown. He started to rub her hand in-between his own, hoping to restore some heat to her frozen fingers. Her other hand was covered with a cast because of her broken wrist and he could see the bandages that were wrapped around her chest poking out from the top of her hospital gown. He watched as the oxygen mask repeatedly fogged up then cleared along with her breaths.

 

His heart clenched painfully as he watched her. He reached out and pushed her hair away from her face, his fingers gently running down the side of her face, carefully avoiding the numerous cuts that littered her face. “Please wake up, Alia.” He whispered, his voice rough with emotion as he lifted her hand, pressing a kiss against her knuckles which were only slightly warmer than when he had first arrived. “You can’t leave me, not like this. You need to wake up so that I can tell you that I was wrong. I messed up that day at the party. I should have listened to you. I should have believed you.” He said as he gripped her hand tighter, hoping that she could somehow hear him and wake up. All he wanted was for her to wake up and say “I told you so!” with her signature smile on her face. Anything would be better than having her lie there, so still as if she had already passed away. “I know that this all started as pretend but it became so much more to me, you became so much more to me.” He admitted as let out a small chuckle as he swiped at his eyes. “Do you have any idea how much you mean to me?” he whispered, his head falling forward, his forehead resting against her hand which was still in his grip.

 

“Yoongi?” his head snapped up at the sound of a female voice. But Alia's eyes were still closed. He looked around to the door to see Alia's mother standing there, a tired smile on her face. Disappointment washed over him, for a split second he had thought that Alia had woken up. He stood up after carefully lying Alia's hand back by her side. He bowed deeply, once again regretting not bringing any flowers. “Good morning, Mrs Park.” He greeted. She gave him a nod as she came into the room and sat on the opposite side of the bed, her eyes instantly landing on her injured daughter. “Morning Yoongi. I didn’t expect you to be here so early.” She said, her voice weary. It was obvious to see that she was exhausted.

 

“I couldn’t sleep.” He admitted as he sat back down, his eyes once again darting to Alia's face. Mrs Park looked between her daughter and Yoongi. “You know; I was very surprised when the two of you broke up. The two of you seemed so happy.” She remarked. Yoongi kept silent, he wasn’t entirely sure how to respond. “I don’t know what happened between the two of you, but Alia wasn’t herself after it.” She said quietly as she ran her hand through Alia's hair, gently untangling the strands with her fingers.

 

“I wasn’t either.” Yoongi admitted softly. Mrs Park looked at him, “Do you still care for my daughter?” she asked. Yoongi nodded without hesitation, “Yes.” He said firmly. Mrs Park smiled. “That’s good to hear.” She said as she turned back to Alia. “You should really try to get some rest, you look exhausted.” She said. Yoongi nodded, knowing that he should give her some time alone with her daughter. He stood up, giving Alia one last look. “When she wakes up, can you call me straight away, please?” he pleaded. “Of course.” She promised.

 

Yoongi bowed before leaving the room. He sat in his car, not quite feeling up to driving just yet. He felt exhausted and emotional. Hearing that Alia had been upset after breaking up with him made him happy, which made him feel guilty. It meant that there was a chance for him to tell her his feelings without having them completely rejected. He leant back against the seat as he released a long sigh. It had been less than twelve hours since her accident, but he was anxious about her not regaining consciousness. He tried to push away the thought that she might never wake up. “She’s going to be fine.” He said as he started the car and made his way out of the car park.