Chapter 12

Not According to Plan

Yoongi took JaKyung to get her ankle checked out, thankful that it wasn’t broken, only a little swollen. She asked him to take her home, she hadn’t gone to the party with her parents and she wouldn’t be able to drive herself home. He agreed and helped her to his car. He keyed her address into his sat nav and took off after sending his mother a text, telling her that an emergency had cropped up and that he needed to leave. JaKyung chatted to him the whole way, her tears from earlier completely gone. Yoongi sat in silence, a frown on his face as he thought over what had happened. He eventually interrupted JaKyung. “So, what happened with you and Alia?” he asked abruptly, hoping now that she had calmed down that he would be able to get a better idea of what had happened. JaKyung frowned at the sudden change in topic, not happy that he had brought up Alia. She quickly covered her frown with a smile.

 

“It’s just like I said. I saw the two of you talking and I know you guys broke up and she rushed off kinda quickly and I thought maybe something had happened between you two so I followed her. I wanted to make sure she was ok. When I asked her what was wrong she snapped at me and pushed me. I told her to stop but she came at me again and I tried to defend myself. She overpowered me and that’s when you appeared.” She said, making sure she sounded as innocent as possible. Yoongi hummed in response, his eyes fixed on the road in front of him. Something about the whole situation just seemed off to him. He knew that Alia didn’t really have a bad temper, but anyone could have an off day. But even then, she wasn’t really the violent type.

 

He looked over at the girl in his passenger seat. He knew that JaKyung was the same. She was known for being airheaded and little ditzy. She wasn’t known for having a bad temper like a lot of the girls in their social circle. The more he thought about it, the more confused he felt. He couldn’t stop guilt from gnawing at him for what he had said to Alia.

 

“I thought you were better than this.”

 

The situation had gotten the better of him and the words had slipped out before he even realised what he had said. He couldn’t shake the look of hurt in her eyes from his mind. He took JaKyung home, declining her offer for coffee. He took the long road home, the drive helping him think. The more he thought about it, the more unsure he became. He eventually headed back home and called Alia, wanting to properly hear her side of the story and to apologise for what he had said.

 

 

 

Alia looked at the caller ID on her phone before declining the call. Min Yoongi was the last person she wanted to talk to. She still hadn’t changed out of the dress she had been wearing and her hair was still in complete disarray. She glared at her phone as it began ringing again, Yoongi’s face once again flashing up on the screen. She declined the call again, hoping that he would take the hint and stop calling her. When he called her for the third time in five minutes, she turned her phone off before finally deciding to change her clothes.

 

 

Yoongi frowned when his call was rejected for the third time. When he tried for the fourth time, he was immediately forwarded to her voicemail. “What the hell?” he muttered as he loosened his tie. He sent her a text, asking her to call him as soon as she got his message.

 

By eleven pm, she still hadn’t called him back. He knew that the party would have been over long ago, so even if she hadn’t called him back because she was at the party, she should have called him back long before now. He tried calling her again, but his call was once again forwarded to her voice mail. “ it.” He grabbed his favourite leather jacket, throwing it on as he headed down to his car. He sped over to her apartment, worry and guilt running through him.

 

When he arrived outside her apartment, he quickly entered the code to her door but was surprised when the door didn’t open. He frowned and tried again, forcing himself to slow down and carefully type in the code. He swore loudly when he was rejected again. “She changed the code?” he wondered aloud as he looked at the door, glaring at it as if it would magically open under his intense gaze. He pressed the bell then knocked on the door. “Alia? It’s me, open up!” he called, knowing that if she was at home, she would most likely be able to hear him. “Alia!” he shouted, pressing the bell again and hearing it echo inside.

 

He tried calling her mobile again, but he was once again put directly through to voicemail. He rang the bell one more time, “Alia! Its Yoongi. If you're in there, please open the door. I need to talk to you!” he pressed his ear against the door, straining to hear inside but he was met with silence. He cursed as he made his way back to his car, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

 

 

Alia had tensed up when she heard someone at the keypad at her door. She physically flinched when the ringing of the doorbell and Yoongi’s knocks vibrated through her apartment. Her hands clenched into fists when he called her name. “Oh, so now you want to talk to me?” She muttered to herself as she glared at the door. She was angry at Yoongi for not listening to her at the hotel. She was angry that JaKyung had managed to play her so well. She was embarrassed that she was so worked up and for the state Yoongi had found them both in. She was hurt that Yoongi had listened to JaKyung over her. But most of all, she was tired from the swirl of emotions that were clouding her every thought. She let out a sigh of relief when she heard Yoongi curse and walk away from the door. She knew she was being petty by not talking to him, but she couldn’t help herself.

 

 

The next morning Yoongi lay in bed, mindlessly looking up at the ceiling. He had barely slept the night before. He had been too busy thinking about the situation between JaKyung and Alia from the day before. He had tried calling Alia again but her phone was still switched off. He made up his mind that he would go visit her at work, hoping that she would give him the chance to talk to her. He went to work in the morning, determined to keep himself busy until lunchtime when he could go to Alia’s office.

 

 

 

He smiled at her secretary as he approached her. “Ah, Mr Yoongi!” she said as she stood and bowed to him. He grinned at her, hoping that his smile would win her over so that she would let him through to see Alia. “Long time no see, how are you?” he asked. She beamed at him. “I’m very well, thanks. Are you here to see Miss Alia?” she asked, already knowing the answer. He nodded and she frowned a little. “I’m afraid she’s not here, she’s at one of our other offices for meetings, I’m afraid she’ll be gone all day.” She said, her tone apologetic. Yoongi nodded, frustration building up inside him. “Ah, really?” he said as he ruffled his hair.

 

“I guess I should start calling her before I turn up for lunch, huh?” he said jokingly. He had been trying to call her all morning but her phone was still turned off. “If she happens to come back to the office today can you tell her to call me? It’s kinda urgent.” The secretary nodded, “Of course Mr Yoongi.” He nodded at the young girl before making his way back to his car.

 

 

For the rest of the day he sat in his office, going over everything that had happened at the party the day before. It had been the first time he had seen Alia since they had broken up. She had looked breath-taking in the simple black dress. He had stood watching her for a few minutes before he had worked up the nerve to approach her. He didn’t know why he had been so nervous. At first, everything had seemed fine. She had complimented him on his change of hair colour and things had felt like they used to. It was almost like the breakup had never happened. Then she had suddenly disappeared into the crowd, like Cinderella trying to make her midnight curfew, except Alia didn’t leave behind a glass slipper.

 

He had made his way through the crowd, his eyes scanning over everyone to try and find her. He saw her family standing with a few other people but Alia wasn’t with them. He went to the bathroom closest to the hall, asking one of the women to check and see if she was there. When she told him she wasn’t but that there was another bathroom at the end of the hallway, his spirits had lifted. He rushed down the hallway and had heard raised voices from inside. He recognised one voice as Alia's, but he couldn’t make out what she was saying. He heard the sounds of the struggle and that’s when he had walked into the scene of JaKyung lying on the floor, Alia standing over her, her hair and clothes in disarray.

 

He tried to focus on the details, JaKyung’s crying had distracted him at the time. JaKyung's hair had been a little messed up, but apart from that and her hurt ankle, she didn’t seem to have any other injuries. He frowned as he remembered Alia's red face, he initially thought that it was because she was so worked up, but now he wasn’t so sure. Alia's hair had been perfect when she had rushed off, but in the short time it had taken him to find her, it had become a total mess. He figured that JaKyung must have managed to grab a hold of her hair. What he still couldn’t work out was why? As far as he knew, the two of them were best friends, so why had the two of them been fighting? He picked up his phone and called the head of his security team. “Is there any way you can get me access to the security footage from the party yesterday?” he asked. “Report back as soon as you hear back from the hotel security team.” He said before hanging up the phone, determined to get to the bottom of what had happened.