The beginning

Goblin's daughter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was dark and lonely night. He was traveling once again, so his identity wouldn't be revealed. Just how many times did he move like this? He can't remember anymore. He lost a count. The reason, why he was traveling like this, is because of his immortality. It would be weird if someone discovered that Goblin lives between them, right?

Walking through the town, he was looking around. Could this be his new home? Can he even call that home? He will have to move once again in twenty years. He will also have to change his name, yet again. This is how he is living.

Immortality is his luck and curse. Time to think about sins from his life and regret those things. Time to remember all the deaths of his loved ones. He was on this world for a long time, knowing what is it like. What humans are like. Not many human beings, he can trust to. Only this one boy, who was standing on the road with him, promised to serve the Goblin with his life. Just like his ancestors were.

Looking at the bright mood, he sighed. It was a time to call it a night already. Yet, there was no free hotel. Just one place he could possibly sleep in. A brothel. Not his taste but at this time the best option. It would be weird if he found himself a house over night, after all.

Goblin let his servant to set the price for a room for him on one week, while waiting at the table with wine in his hand. These brothels could be considered hotels as well. The only difference was, men are accompanied by women, while enjoying their staying. It wasn't really his thing, it wasn't his first time either though, staying in a brothel like this. There were also lot of times, where he thought about things like this. The purpose of his immortal life.

This sword that has been stained with the blood of thousands, and its owner’s blood as well—how could it not happen? Only the goblin’s bride will pull out that sword. If the sword is pulled, may it return to nothing and be at peace. This is his curse. A sword in his chest, which only his bride can pull out. Through his long life, he has met lof of maidens. Beautiful. Nice. Kind. Just like these women that were around him right now. But, none of them could ever see the sword. He can't die in peace, until he finds her. When will this time come, however? Will it come in this lifetime? This century? That is something, no one knows. With all this thinking, wine in his hand, food on the table and women around him, Goblin let the time flow.

When he woke up in the morning, he wasn't very surprised, seeing a woman lying next to him. It wouldn't take long to person to find out what was happening last night... He wasn't surprised at his terrible headache, either, knowing his tolerance for alcohol is very low. Getting dressed, the man left his room. It's not like he has to care about a e, he spent a night with. It wasn't the first time, either anyway. On top of that, he had to make sure to make himself look like a proper person. Like a proper noble person that was supposed to buy a house in this small town.

The surprise came later. A very unexpected surprise. Ghosts were saying nonsense about Goblin's daughter being born soon. At first, he didn't pay much attention to it. Why should he do that? Nine months later however, after he had spent the night with the e, a child was born. Of course, the baby girl could be anyone's daughter. But, something about her was different. Something about her was screaming into the night, she was born. She was not as other born babies. She looked the same as ordinary children, only non human being could see the truth though. Goblin's daughter was born. Just like those ghosts were saying those past three months.

The child was raised under care of es. Once old enough, she would start to learn how to please her client. All that time, the man was keeping an eye on the little girl. He still couldn't believe, it is possible. Never, even once, in his immortal life has he thought, he could have children. That was something impossible for him as well. Or was it actually possible and he had a child right in front of his eyes? The girl was named Naeva – meaning born at night.

Things changed, when she turned five years old. The girl was playing outside, when others kids came to her, making fun of her. Children like her were a shame to people. People like her mom, were marginalized.

A young girl, like her, couldn't bare all this bullying and snapped. Her true ability was discovered. An ability to use a fire as her shield. Not knowing what she can do, however, the girl started to panic. She couldn't control her ability yet, experiencing it for the first time. There is this saying: Fire is a good servant but a bad master. This kind of fire was something new for her. It could be considered as a good shield to scare the bullies, but it was hurting her also.

Goblin has witnessed it. Now, there was no doubt. Naeva was surely his daughter. No one could just make fire out of nothing. To say more specifically, put themselves into flames just like that. It was an alarm for him too. He had to save her and take her away. People couldn't know about her abilities. That was his decision. To keep both of them saved.

Appearing before the girl through teleportation, he kneeled down and takes her by shoulders. The panicking girl suddenly stopped calmed down, staring at the man. Where did he come from? Who is it? The next thing, she knew was, that the fire disappeared. She was not in flames anymore. There were terrible burns on her body, however.

“You should get treated.” he said, looking at her, pretty much uninterested. He still didn't believe, he has a daughter. With some abilities, on top of that. It would be very dangerous for her to stayed here. She needed to get out of this town. And he felt the responsibility, taking care of her.

“Ahjussi, who are you?” the little girl had her cheeks puffy because of crying. Tears of pain or surprise? It wouldn't be very shocking, if those were from both.

Looking at her more properly, she had big round brown eyes, blinking rapidly and tilting her head like a lost puppy. Her hair was pitched black.

“Just someone.” he answered on her questions, looking around if there was any person nearby. It might be really troublesome, if someone saw them. People would make drama of it. That's the last thing he wanted right now. He really wasn't interested in something like that. “Let's go now. It won't be safe for you to stay here anymore.” Goblin stood up, taking Naeva's hand. He had to make sure, he won't lose her.

“Go? But my mom...” she looked around, blinking and then looked up at the tall man again. She didn't have a clue, who the man was and he asked her to go with him. Why should she do that? What about her mom? Everyone? She just couldn't leave like that, could she?

“Will you stay here, risking her and other people destroying you?” he turned to look at her, kneeling down once again. Of course, the girl wouldn't really get it. She was too young to understand. Only five years old, but that's the most dangerous thing about it. She put herself on flames suddenly and couldn't control it. Plus, if he was right, it all happened because of her anger. He just couldn't risk her disposal.

“What?” Naeva tilted her head. She didn't understand. What is this Ahjussi talking about? Why was he insisting on taking her with him. She rubbed the back of her head, pouting a bit. She wasn't really sure what is happening, but his offer was more than appreciated. Even though, she was scared to leave her mom there. In this young age, she was made fun of, bullied by other kids and people pointed their fingers at her. She didn't want to live like that anymore.

“I will take care of you. I want to keep you safe. Will you go with me?” Goblin finally smiled softly, waiting for her answer. By her facial expressions, he could guess what was she thinking about.

The girl suddenly, nodded pursing her lips. The man took her in his arms, walking through door to garden, which teleported them to his house.

“Seong?” Goblin called for his servant, putting the girl down on the floor, going to his work desk. He needed to take his documents about everything. Almost all the documents were symbolizing something from this Joseon era. He was writing them through his long life. Five hundred years indeed are long time. It would be very bad, if someone found them here.

“Yes, sir?” the servant came running to his lord's room, not noticing the girl standing in the corner of the room.

“Start packing things. We are leaving town tonight.” the man said, glancing up at the visibly younger and confused man. Right away, however, he returned to packing all the documents.

“Tonight, my sir? But it wasn't twenty years yet. Why do we have to leave?” it didn't make sense. Seong got very confused because of this. Why should they leave tonight? His lord has always been moving only every twenty years but now? It hasn't been even six years and they had to move.. Watching his master running around the room, finally the servant noticed the little girl standing in the room.

“This town is dangerous for us now. We are taking this girl now.” Goblin quickly answered, before sitting up before his desk, going through those documents.

“Isn't this Naeva? Daughter of the...” Seong questioned his master, staring at the little girl. Where did she come from? How did a daughter of some e appear here? Of course, he couldn't see or hear ghosts, which means, there was no way for him to know, that she was actually daughter of his lord.

“Don't ask any questions and pack things.” The man glared at his servant, motioning with his eyes for the boy to leave the room hurriedly. There were things that needed to be packed. They wouldn't pack on their own.

Taken aback by the glare, Seong left the room, paying one last glance to the girl. He wanted to know what the girl was doing there but he knew better, than angering his lord.

Everyone knew Naeva. The daughter of a e. It didn't happen to often for a e give birth to a baby and leaving the baby in the house. It only happened, when the baby was picked for living in the house and learning basics of how to serve her client. This fact wouldn't escape anyone in a small town like this, where anyone knows everyone.

“Ahjussi?” The girl was watching the young man leave the room, before turning to look at the man sitting at his desk. She didn't know what to do. This house wasn't hers after all and she didn't have things to pack, either. What was she supposed to do here?

“Just stay here. I have to pack some things.” Goblin got up from his seat, looking at her. He needed to get some other things, such as the painting of the queen... That was especially important thing. “Just.. Don't touch anything.” he looked at her for the last time, before leaving the room.

He didn't know what could she do with her powers. Anything could be a starter to her powers. Plus, he didn't know how many abilities did she have. Looks, like he had many things to find out about her. She needed to learn to control her powers. Putting thing on fire, every time she was mad

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter