How Did You Know?

Seventeen Oneshots [OPEN + NEW STAFF]

Requested by: yoonjhbby

Pairing: Dino x S.coups

Author: Castor

Started: 00/00/17

Finished: 00/0/17



Request:

Pairings: Chan Cheol, established side Junhao and Meanie

Author: Castor

Genre: idol life, fluff

Plot: Through confusing texts, dinners, and more, the other members of Seventeen come to the realization that Dino and S. Coups are together one at a time.



 

How Did You Know?

It had been several years since K-pop group Seventeen had debuted and they were just as close as ever. Seungkwan and DK were having a high note battle on V Live. Woozi was in the studio discussing rap lyrics with Wonwoo, Hoshi, and Vernon. Jeonghan was demonstrating the newest selfie filter for Mingyu and Joshua. The8 and Jun were in the practice room, choreographing a dance. Everyone was going about their day as usual.

But wait- where were S. Coups and Dino?

 

~

 

It all began one day in October.

“I know it’s so hard~ I’m the same as you~”

“Dino! Your phone!” Joshua called in no particular direction, huffing fondly as he picked up Dino’s Michael Jackson-themed phone from the dorm room couch.

Waiting another few seconds before he the screen, he wondered if Dino lost his phone and was trying to message it. But that was unlikely, it was in the middle of the dorm-

“Oh my gosh.”

Joshua turned an unholy shade of red before frantically turning the screen off and carefully placing the phone back where it was. There was no one else in the living room, but he wasn’t sure one of the other members hadn’t just heard him almost use the Lord’s name in vain. Slightly pacing, he pulled out his pocket Bible and resolved to forget what he just saw.

 

~

 

Minghao was never going to see it coming. Jun grinned as he creeped to the bathroom door. He remembered all the times Minghao and the others had walked in on him showering -including his birthday in June of all days- and now that it was almost November, it really was about time he got his sweet revenge. He could almost hear Minghao’s shriek.

Slightly pushing the door ajar, Jun peeped through the gap. Surely Minghao wouldn’t be able to throw anything at him like this-

He froze on the spot.

Slowly, he walked backwards until a familiar grasp stopped him from hitting the hallway wall.

“Jun-hyung? What are you doing now?”

It was Minghao. Having already showered earlier, he was drying his hair with a towel. Normally, Jun would have cooed and ruffled his hair to earn a half-hearted pinch in return, but not today. Jun shoved a hand over Minghao’s mouth and dragged him into the nearest room.

“What the-” he glared at Jun. The elder just shushed him furiously, eyes wide and fixed on the hallway. Minghao squinted at him. Jun was uncharacteristically silent and he didn’t like it. Grabbing Jun’s wrist to get his attention, Minghao tilted his head in question. Jun just jerked his chin at the bathroom down the hall. Still silence.

With an annoyed sigh, Minghao made to get up but Jun pulled him down. Minghao jabbed him in the chest, “What?”

“Hao. I- can you tiptoe to the bathroom? Please tell me I’m not seeing things. No actually-” Jun got down on his knees, pleading, “please do.”

Minghao quirked an eyebrow but agreed, slipping out of the room like a cat. A whisper of “tiptoe!” followed him. He wondered what had Jun so shocked but peeking into the bathroom, he understood immediately.

Covering the smirk on his face with a hand, Minghao snuck back into the room Jun was in. “You’re not seeing things.”

“Oh.” He sat down next to Jun, whose expression was frozen in a mix of shock and realization. This would take a while.

 

~

 

A few weeks later, the entire group was together eating dinner at a restaurant downtown. They were seated at several tables with some members eating, some talking, and some playing games like food-based charades.

“Hey, look at Coups-hyung.” Mingyu grinned at Wonwoo as he haphazardly picked up some greens with his chopsticks. S. Coups was at a table with Jeonghan, Joshua, and Dino. He was currently mouthing “Ah” as he fed the maknae a roll of sushi.

“So cute. It’s like the parents and their child.”

Wonwoo nodded along halfheartedly until something caught his eye. Jun had been looking over at S. Coups’ table, too, but he immediately went back to joking with Vernon when Minghao jabbed his arm under the table. Yet Minghao also looked over every once in awhile, as if checking up on them. Very suspicious.

Eyes narrowed, Wonwoo tuned out Mingyu as he observed the leader and the maknae. Suddenly, a light bulb went off in his head. “You’re wrong.”

“Huh?”

“Nothing.” Wonwoo mentally made a note to find Minghao later. He was sure his guess was right.

 

~

 

It was the end of November and the members were preparing for a comeback. The title track had a sweet, romantic feel to it and Dino danced center for a large portion of it. In one of the recording rooms, DK, Wonwoo, and Vernon were waiting outside with Dino and S. Coups as Woozi and Seungkwan recorded their audio parts.

“So, Dino,” DK smiled mischievously, “The dating ban got lifted a while back and you’re legal now. Any particular girl group members your type?”

Dino half-smiled, half-grimaced at his hyung. “You keep asking me that, hyung.”

DK shrugged, “So?”

“It’s always been the same. ‘Not really.’”

Dino shifted slightly in his seat but DK kept pestering him. “But Dino, you’re the center this time. They’re going to be like-”

“Seokmin, don’t you need to go and record?”

He turned to their leader in surprise. S. Coups voice had a hard edge to it. “Um, yeah.” Meandering into the recording room, he was about to pull the earphones over his head when his phone suddenly dinged.

 

From: Bookworm

To: SunshineDK

There’s something I need to tell you.

Meet me in the practice room when you’re done.

 

DK stared at the message quizzically before glancing back to the waiting area outside. Wonwoo was staring back at him. He nodded at Wonwoo. A few minutes wouldn’t hurt, right?

 

~

 

December had swung around and Mingyu wouldn’t listen to Wonwoo about his suspicions, so the latter decided more drastic measures had to be taken. Wonwoo had enlisted DK and Jun’s help to make sure the other members would be outside the practice room.

During one of their choreo practices, Jun has pointed out an error in footwork to S. Coups before claiming he was tired and dragging most of the other members with him to get food. Dino had volunteered to stay behind and help S. Coups fix the mistake.

Mingyu was happy to go get food. But just before he could pick up his jacket and head outside, Minghao grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back to the practice room. Surprisingly, Hoshi was standing outside the door.

Minghao halted in his tracks, choosing his words hesitantly, “I thought you were getting food with the others, hyung.”

“I was,” Hoshi grinned, his eyes at their famous 10:10 shape. “But this is so much better.”

A slight smile tugged at Minghao’s lips. “You know then?”

Hoshi laughed softly, careful not to let the two inside the practice room hear. “I had a guess. Too many times those two went missing together. And then one day, Josh looked at a message on Dino’s phone and almost fainted. I was so sure.”

Mingyu frowned. “Sure of what?”

“Look through the window,” Minghao sighed and shoved the other.

Mingyu looked in and his jaw dropped. Wonwoo was right.

 

~

 

Two days later, Seungkwan was impatiently waiting for S. Coups to finish his meeting with their manager and Dino to fix his makeup. For some reason, almost all of Performance and Hip Hop Team had insisted on leaving first, with Vernon being willing to stay. Vocal Team had volunteered Seungkwan. He sighed as he stared at the dressing room. “They’re always gone at the same time, Vernon. Isn’t it weird?”

Vernon looked up from the game on his phone. “Wasn’t Wonwoo or Hoshi whispering about that the other day? Some sort of conspiracy by the manager or something.” He let the sentence trail off. Vernon had heard Wonwoo clearly when he suddenly called Minghao on the phone way back in November, but Seungkwan didn’t know.

He wasn’t sure he should tell Seungkwan. He knew Mingyu and Minghao knew and he was pretty sure that meant Jun knew, too. He was less sure that Hoshi knew and he couldn’t tell with the rest. But despite the majority of the group probably being in the know, Vernon wasn’t sure Seungkwan would be able to keep quiet like everyone had so far.

“I’m tired of waiting,” Seungkwan suddenly announced, getting up from the bench. “Let’s go find out what’s taking Dino so long.”

Hurriedly, Vernon got to his feet and tried to turn Seungkwan towards the vending machine instead. “I don’t think that’s such a great idea. Maybe we don’t want to know-”

He groaned as Seungkwan twisted out of his grip and barged into the dressing room. “Dinooo!”

Dino’s hand flew to his neck as his eyes widened, but it was too late. Vernon was sure Seungkwan had seen it, too. “Hyung! What are you doing here?”

“I- um…”

Vernon cut in with a faked smile, “We were wondering if you needed help.”

“I’m good. You guys can go first if you want.”

“Alright, we’ll do that. Bye, Dino!” Vernon practically dragged Seungkwan’s unmoving body out the door. He groaned. There would be no end of talk now.

 

~

 

“Those two! They’re- you know?”

Despite the fact that apparently every other member was sure of Dino and S. Coups being in a romantic relationship, Woozi refused to be convinced and no one had the guts to tell Jeonghan, not even Joshua.

A week had passed since Seungkwan started adding members to a secret group chat to discuss theories. Woozi only knew because Jun told him about it after Woozi put him in a headlock to get at his phone. He’d thought it was just an elaborate joke meant for fanservice at their upcoming concert but he changed his mind during the fanmeeting.

It wasn’t something big. Woozi had been standing next to S. Coups watching Performance Team reveal their newest dance when Dino slipped. He immediately got up and kept going, but Woozi had seen S. Coups tense as if stopping himself from running over. When the dance ended, the leader quickly went to help Dino, letting him loop an arm around his shoulder for support.

At that moment, something just clicked for Woozi. “Of course.” He’d need to be added to that group chat right away.

 

~

 

Once they got back to the dorms, Woozi called together a group meeting. S. Coups sat next to Dino on the sofa, helping him hold an ice pack to his ankle. “So what’s this for?”

Ten of the thirteen members already knew the answer. Practically standing in his seat, Seungkwan eagerly explained, “We know, hyung. You and Dino are dating.”

Dino blushed. S. Coups groaned and brought a hand to rub at his temple, “You all knew?”

Joshua looked over at Jeonghan carefully, gauging his reaction. To his shock, it was Jeonghan who replied, “Of course.”

Jun stared at him as if he’d grown another head, “You knew? How?”

Jeonghan laughed, “You guys first. Starting with you, Shua.”

“Sorry, Dino.” Joshua smiled ruefully, “In like October, I opened your phone when it was going off and I saw a text from Coups-hyung. It had a picture of Coups-hyung biting his lip, y’know? And the text was really suggestive, it was something like-”

“Okay, okay.” S. Coups was blushing now. “Next person.”

“I, uh.” Jun looked at Minghao before clearing his throat, “I was trying to scare Minghao while he was in the shower.”

Minghao hummed in satisfaction, “You failed.”

“Right. Because it wasn't you in there.” Dino groaned as if he knew what was coming. “So I was trying to sneak into the bathroom. And um- I sorta walked in on you two. Making out. In the shower. .”

Minghao grinned evilly. “Jun just about went into shock and almost fainted. He made me check again to make sure but I’ve been suspecting it for a while anyways.”

“That was probably in November.” Wonwoo cut in, “I figured out a bit after when we went out to eat. Coups-hyung, it was kind of obvious with how you were feeding Dino. Very couple-like and all-”

“Wait,” Mingyu frowned. “I pointed that out to you.”

“But you didn’t get it,” Wonwoo retorted. “And I noticed Minghao was being weird so I called him and he told me what happened with Jun, so we agreed you two had a relationship. And then Seokmin-”

DK laughed nervously, “Wonwoo told me about it after that day in the recording studio? He said that was why you were defending Dino from my questions about romance, hyung. And why you weren’t answering my questions, Dino.”

Dino’s eyebrows rose. “Is that why you guys did the thing in the practice room? I thought that was rather convenient-”

Mingyu gulped and Hoshi laughed, “I had a guess for a while but I wanted to make sure. So when I figured you two were alone together, I looked through the window and saw-’

“You two kissing instead of practicing.” Mingyu finished Hoshi’s sentence in one breath, “Minghao made me go look. Not that there’s anything wrong with kissing. That’s great! You two are cute together-”

Vernon grinned, “That was Seungkwan’s reaction, too. Remember that day we stayed behind? I’m still pretty sure you arranged that, Wonwoo, but Seungkwan really wanted to go and check why Dino was taking so long and I told him not to but…”

“So you did see the hickey.” S. Coups sighed and Dino pouted, “Your fault, hyung, not mine.”

“Yeah, um.” Seungkwan giggled slightly, “We also saw Coups’ shirt caught in a locker. You were hiding in there, weren’t you, hyung?”

“I was,” S. Coups confessed. “So Jihoon, Jeonghan, how did you two...?”

“Well, first of all, Seungkwan told pretty much everyone. And I saw their secret chat.” Minghao glared at Jun. “But it was the fanmeeting today. Something in how you two went straight to each other after Dino fell I guess?” S. Coups nodded thoughtfully and Woozi looked to Jeonghan curiously, “But Jeonghan, how did you know? We all thought you didn’t.”

A wide smile stretched across Jeonghan’s face as he twirled a lock of hair in his finger. “I’ve known since last year.”

Seungkwan screeched. Jun blinked twice and rubbed his eyes. Dino’s mouth fell open. Wonwoo’s expression stayed the same. S. Coups sighed in resignation, “How am I not surprised?”

“Sneaking into showers and dressing rooms is so extreme. You all missed the most obvious clue.” Jeonghan smirked at the confusion on the other members’ faces, “I’ll give you a hint. Jun and Minghao only wear their set at night. Mingyu and Wonwoo don’t have one. They share couple clothes instead.”

Amid the chaos as the members pestered Jun, Minghao, Mingyu, and Wonwoo for more clues, S. Coups’ face lit up with realization about ten seconds before Jun and Minghao exchanged a look of understanding.

Minghao nodded an 'okay' and Jun jumped to his feet, sprinting into his bedroom before re-emerging with a small item in his hand.

“Is that...?”

“Yep.” Jeonghan grinned. Everyone else groaned. It had been right under their noses in plain sight all this time yet they hadn’t seen it. “Couple rings.”