Sulay (Hospital)

Our Story

            Joonmyeon, or Suho as his friends called him, in a deep breath as the most handsome doctor at Seoul International Hospital’s Cardiology Department walked past him. Suho had been working as a nurse at the hospital for a total of six months in the Cardiology wing and already he had fallen deep into the abyss of having a crush.

            At first Joonmyeon had fought it, and he had fought it hard. Six months ago he told himself that the fluttering in his chest was from being nervous about working under a new doctor, and not from the wink that the cute doctor may, but probably did not, have sent his way on his first day. Whenever one of his friends had talked about wanting to date hot doctors from their departments Suho sat on the firmly against it side and had told his friends not to. He even gave them a long speech about how dating coworkers always ended badly and that dating your boss, a doctor no less, was even worse because one day he could kill you and not be held responsible. Six months later, however, Suho was singing a different tune.

            Every single day Suho would bring an extra coffee or tea with him to work and place it in the doctor’s office with a nice note about how he hoped the man didn’t work so hard that he forgot to eat and at least get some sleep. He would steal glances at the doctor during all of his breaks and sometimes during his rounds too. He was becoming like the front desk nurses that only made heart eyes at doctors, except Suho still managed to do his work.

            February 12th started like every other day for the sweet male nurse. He got up and did his morning routine, went to work, and placed the extra tea he made on the doctor’s desk in his office. Suho then began dong his rounds on the cardiac floor. Most of the patients he had were older people, but he did have one adorable five year old boy. That little boy was his favorite and he was the boy’s favorite nurse.

            “Suho!” The little boy yelled happily as the nurse entered his room.

            “Jaehyun!” Suho yelled back with a bright smile. “How are you feeling today buddy?”

            “I’m doing great! Mommy said that I can have a puppy when I get out of here!” Jaehyun clapped his hands excitedly.

            “Jeon Jaehyun that was supposed to be a secret. If you’re father finds out we’re getting a second puppy I am going to be in big trouble.” Jeon, originally Kim, Taehyung announced as he entered the room.

            “Oops!” The little boy’s hands flew to his mouth and his eyes bulged. “I didn’t say anything about a puppy! Who talked about a puppy? Not me!”

            “That’s right baby. Here’s your stuffed bunny Mommy brought. Floppy is all clean.” Taehyung said as he handed Jaehyun a little stuffed bunny.

            “Floppy!” He cheered before the little boy began to play with his bunny.

            “Speaking of bunnies, how is Jungkook?” Suho asked. “Is he here?”

            “He got stopped by my lovely cousin Baekkie. He’s doing fine. The Jeon Corporation takes up most of his day, but he’s been cutting back his hours recently so that he can spend more time with Jae when he comes home.” Taehyung replied with a smile.

            “That’s good. Every time I walk in here he talks about how excited he is to play with his dad.” Suho told him with a smile.

            “Aw! That’s my cute little baby boy. So, have you talked to Dr. Zhang?”  Taehyung asked.

            “No and I will never talk to him in that way.” Suho said with a pointed look.

            “Oh come on! If you never talk to him, then how do you expect to date him, get married, and have a billion children?” Taehyung asked with a confused look.

            “I don’t expect anything like that. I get too nervous around him and I can never look him in the eyes. Staring from afar is good enough for me.” Suho told him.

            “It is not good enough! I was Kookie’s assistant and had I not confessed to him about how much I loved him, then I would not have married him a year later and had the cutest child on Earth. You can even ask Baekhyun.” Taehyung smiled at the older male.

            “This conversation is over Tae Tae.  I have to leave so I don’t miss my lunch break. Bye Jaehyunnie!” Suho called before leaving behind the younger man and his favorite patient.

            Joonmyeon smiled at the other people working in the hospital as he made his way to the cafeteria. It took him a few minutes, but he finally made his way to the table that his best friends sat at.

            “Hey guys.” Suho said as he sat down.

            “Hey there cutie, here’s your lunch.” Baekhyun said as he slid the food over to Suho.

            “Thanks. I don’t want to get in that gross line.” He replied with a disgusted face.

            “You’re welcome! Don’t look now, but um guess who just walked in.” Luhan smiled and pointed to the cafeteria entrance. Of course Joonmyeon turned around and saw Dr. Zhang.

            “He’s so cute.” Joonmyeon sighed dreamily as he stared at the handsome doctor.

            “Then why don’t you go ask him out?” Baekhyun asked.

            “Doctor Zhang is the head of Cardiology, there is no way on Earth he would go out with a regular nurse like me.” Suho sighed sadly.

            “Of course he’d go out with you! You’re cute and sweet, and funny in your own very special way. Besides that, the head of a bunch of other apartments are dating nurses, so he probably will too.” Tao said with a smile.

            “What do you mean?” Suho questioned him.

            “The head of Pediatrics, Neurology, Surgery, Orthopedic, and Psychology are all dating nurses.” Baekhyun told him.

            “Really? Who are they dating?” Joonmyeon asked shocked by the news. He really needed to keep up with the hospital gossip.

            “Well, in order of how Baekkie introduced them, Dr. Park is dating Baekhyun, Dr. Oh is dating me, Dr. Kim Minseok is dating Chen, Dr. Kim Jongin is dating Kyungsoo, and Dr. Wu is dating our little baby Tao.” Luhan told him with an awkward smile.

            “What?” Suho almost yelled. “Why didn’t any of you guys tell me?”

            “We have. You’ve just been preoccupied with staring at Dr. Zhang Yixing.” Chen said as he walked up while making kissy faces at Suho.

            “Stop it Chen, or I’ll tell Minnie!” Baekhyun said with a smirk. The frightened look on Chen’s face said that he wouldn’t mock Suho again.

            “I-I know that I admire him from a distance, but I don’t think it’s creepy. I don’t follow him home or anything, I’m just too nervous to actually talk to him.” Suho sighed sadly while looking at the table.

            “Well, you need to think fast about how you’re going to ask him out, or at least how you’re going to say hello, because he’s coming this way.” Tao announced with a smile. Suho’s eyes bulged and the man pretended to drop something before ducking under the table in fear.

            “Hello everyone,” Dr. Zhang said to the group of nurses, including the one under the table. “I was wondering if I may speak to Joonmyeon.”

            “Of course you can Yixing. He’s looking for something he lost under the table.” Baekhyun grunted as Junmyeon hit him in the knee. Yixing smiled and thanked him before crouching down and smiling at a very embarrassed Suho.

            “Good afternoon Joonmyeon.” He greeted with a dazzling smile.

            “O-oh, h-hello Dr. Zhang. I am just looking for the pencil I dropped, but I cannot seem to find it. I-is there something you need?” Suho stuttered as he looked at the handsome doctor.

            “Please call me Yixing. Thank you for the tea this morning. And actually I was wondering if you are free this evening Joonmyeon?” He asked the smaller man.

            “I-I am. I get off tonight at eight. P-please call me Suho. And you’re welcome. I made a lot of tea so I thought you may want some.” Suho blushed as he looked at the doctor.

            “Good. I have liked you for a long time now and Kris finally convinced me to ask you out before somebody else snags you from me. So will you go out on a date with me?” The handsome doctor asked.

            “M-me?” Suho asked with wide eyes and an open mouth.

            “Of course.” Yixing said as he flashed Suho another dazzling smile. Poor Junmyeon could only shake his head out of happiness because he was too stunned to actually form words. “Great. I’ll see you tonight beautiful.”