Chapter Six - The Invisible Bags

Haylie & Seventeen Adventures in Wonderland

It is the morning after and Haylie found herself sitting quietly on her bed as she waits for Tia to get ready. She wasn't sure what to do or where to go for breakfast or if the school serves breakfast at the cafeteria. She certainly know that they served dinner. The night before was quite eventful for Haylie. She finally are able to get to know most of classmates especially the boys. Hoshi, DK and Seungkwan have been the most warm and welcoming towards her. Seungchol, Jeonghan and Joshua seemed to be friendly but not as warm as the other three boys but Wonwoo, Jihoon and Mingyu seemed to be the coolest or coldest of the boys. They tend to sit together and farthest away from everyone else. Dino and Minghao are surprisingly a lot shy which made things very awkward for Haylie who had to spend the rest of dinner sitting in front of the both of them who barely speak. 

Haylie looked up and find Tia tying her ponytail by the mirror. Tia so far has been sweet to her too. She is chubby or most commonly people wuld associate her with the word fat. But Haylie learned that Tia is embracing her big size body and she knows most of the reason is because of the people around her. Their classmates doesn't seem to be bothered or even took notice of her size. They didn't even for eating a lot at dinner. Some of the boys even shared their breads with her. Haylie wondered if sweet and cool Tia would snapped and turned into a monstrous angry hippo when she's really upset. It was hard to imagine because her facial features doesn't seem to fit being upset.

"You're ready?" Tia asked as she turned and grabbed a few books on her dresser. Haylie nodded and grabbed her bag. Together the two girls walked out of the dorm and head down to the school compound. 

"So what do you normally do in the morning?" Haylie asked as they walked down the stairs. 

"Well, it depends. School days, we all head out to the cafe for breakfast. But do keep in mind that class starts exactly at 8.30AM. So if you're late, you're going to have to rush breakfast." Tia made it sound like missing breakfast was the worst thing that any student could do. If only she knew how many times Haylie ahd skipped breakfast during her time before entered Mori Hills. "Some students will wake up earlier just to finished up yesterday's homework. Exam week, you will find some of them stuck with notes and textbooks and cups and cups of coffee."

"They serve coffee for students?" Tia turned, sightly curious with Haylie's question. "I mean, do students drink coffee."

"Do you drink coffee?" Tia asked in which Haylie shook her head. "Well, almost every student here drinks coffee. It helps to stay up late." The girls reached the cafeteria and Haylie starts to slow down. The cafeteria wasn't as pack as it was the night before but there were still students sitting in different tables and groups - some as Tia had mentioned were sipping hot coffee and a few were enjoying a hearthy breakfast meal. Not realizing that Haylie had already reached the food counter, Haylie heard someone called after her.

"Haylie!" It was a boy. She turned and saw a smiling Seongcheol jogging up to her with Joshua a few feet behind him. "Ready for breakfast?" Seungcheol said and nodded his head towards the counter. Haylie turned and she could feel Seungcheol's hand on her back and he walked with her to the food counter. Along the way, he was nodding and smiling at everyone that was passing by. She could feel her body slightly trembling as she wasn't use to having any boys talking or even touching her and she had only met Seungcheol yesterday.

"Morning, Haylie!" Joshua greeted as he approaches. "How was your first night?" Haylie wasn't sure if she was still blushing so she only turned half her head to acknowledged Joshua behind her before she answered.

"It was okay."

"Couldn't sleep huh?" Seungcheol said. Haylie, still slightly embarassed by his hand on her back could only shrugged. Even after he had took his hand away, she still felt awkward. "Looks like they got French toast." Seungcheol told Joshua as they both craned their necks to look beyond the counter. 

"Still warm." Joshua replied with a hint of enthuiasm.

"Haylie!" Haylie looked up and saw the other girls from her class calling out to her from the other end of the line. Tia has a plate of warm French toasts in her hand and Minhee had a plate full of fruits. Sara on the other hand had two big cups of hot drinks. Haylie is not a big fan of coffee especially black coffee and she sure hopes that the two cups is not black coffee. Haylie turned to the boys and smiled at them before she trotted away towards the girls. Once she reached the girls, they headed off to the table where some of their classmates were sitting. Despite it being early, most of her classmate were in bright mood especially Hoshi and Seungkwan. 

"So Haylie, today we have Phys Ed and for the girls today, we have volleyball." Sara began as she stabbed on a piece of blueberry with her fork. 

"Urghh, I hate sports" Tia exclaimed taking a bite off a French toast.

"I don't mind Phys Ed, but I'm not really good at sports either?" Minhee said. The girls turned their heads towards Haylie.

"Um...I have never tried anything physical. I'm more of a reader and a writer."

"Like a nerd?" Seungkwan popped in out of nowhere and sat next to Haylie.

"Seungkwan!" Both Sara and Tia exclaimed, a little annoyed and appalled that he would blurt the word nerd. Suengkwan returned with wide eyes and a shrugged.

"I think what he meant is you are more of an observer." Minhee clarified. "I like being an observer."

"I'm pretty used to that name though. Most kids in my school calls me a nerd." Haylie rectified. She really wasnt offended by Seungkwan's comment. 

"See," Seungkwan stated. "You girls are just overreacting. Being a 'nerd' is not necessarily a bad thing. I mean just look at our class. Most of us are nerds."

"Not Sara." Minhee objected with a smirk. The rest of them started giggling in which prompted Sara to roll her eyes. Haylie were still wondering what their joke was.

"Sara's a drama queen. She's never a nerd, she's just..." Tia tried to look for the right word that best described her friend.

"Dramatic." Seungkwan finished. Again, Sara rolled her eyes and took another blueberry. They continue to chat together and Haylie soon realized she was actually communicating with her classmates and on top of that, she was smiling at the random jokes they were throwing around. That was until the bell rang and Haylie turned to see some of the students quickly standing up from the table and head out of the cafeteria. She look in front of her and starts to pile up her books. She started to get nervous when caught the girls already making their way to the exit and she was still struggling to zip up her bag.  

"A bit of a hassle with a bag, isn't it?" Haylie heard a familiar deep voice throwing her a familiar sarcastic remark. She turned to see Wonwoo smirking at her a few feet away. "Its much easier if you just follow us." He smirked again and turned to make his way to the exit. Haylie sin't sure what kind of person Wonwoo is. He was definitely a mystery for her. She continue to pack her things and kept her eyes on the back of Wonwoo's head, wondering if she will ever get along with him. And that was when she noticed something. Wonwoo is now walking in between Mingyu and Jun and all three of them were carrying only a pen and their notebook. If she could recall again, Tia, Sara and Minhee too weren't carrying any bags with them. 

I guess everyone here thinks it's a hassle to carry a bag, Haylie thought and she followed everyone else out of the exit and head towards their respective classroom.