Chapter Three - The March Hare

Haylie & Seventeen Adventures in Wonderland

Mori Hills Main Library is Hailey's favourite place at the moment. She had always loved any place that had books but Mori Hills Library is just too if not more majestic than the school main building. From the thousands of books lined up in their respective shelves to the smell of the old furniture and old books, Hailey loved everything about the library. For a second she forgot why she had to go to the library. Moreover, who had taken her there. Blindly, she followed Wonwoo to the second floor of the library while she took in the scenery of the entire building.

"Here." Wonwoo said, pulling out a small red covered copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland as well as Hailey's attention. She looked at the familiar copy of the book. She had one just like it. It was one of the many gifts her late father had passed to her. She knew the book is somewhere inside the many boxes that is currently in the store since her mother had decided to move in with Gerard. She has yet to see her own room. Hailey blocked out all the negative thoughts she had for her mother and her new husband and just focus on the assignment in hand - her English book report. She was really looking forward to do this report.

"So, exactly what do we have to do with this book report?" Hailey asked as she turned the cover and browse through the first page. Her feet followed Wonwoo's as they reached the front desk. 

"Mainly, we write a short summary of the story then Mrs Sanders usually wants us to write about one specific character and share our opinions about the character."

"Like their specific impact in the book?"

"Like what they represent. Hope, love, survival. Every character carries a theme. Like Alice herself represent freedom. She chose to think in her own way and live in her own world where the impossible is possible. She is basically free from the norm." Hailey nodded. This book report is much more challenging than she had expected and she was starting to love it even more. 

"Which character do you plan to write about?" Hailey asked curious as to who Wonwoo would pick.

"Personally, I like the caterpillar. I don't think anyone in our class would write about him. Plus, there's something intriguing about him."

"More like bossy." Hailey replied. Wonwoo chuckled at her response. 

"No one in the book is a decent character. Even Alice is full of herself. I mean, it is her own world that she ventured into." Hailey nodded in agreement. Wonwoo surprised her. She didn't expect him to be this warm and talkative. Suddenly, Wonwoo's steely gaze doesn't seem to be too intimidating anymore. It's probably his smile, Hailey thought to herself. His smile made him less cold. 

"Why Mr. Jeon, I don't think I've seen you around here borrowing books anymore." The librarian acknowledged Wonwoo's presence as he stood in front of the counter. 

"No. I've been buying my personal copies in town in the weekends, Miss Joo." Wonwoo replied with a smile a lot more warmer than one he had for Hailey. "This is Hailey. She's new. I'm here to help her out for our book report."

"Oh, well hello Hailey." Miss Joo greeted as she stood from her chair. "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I don't think anyone ever borrowed this book." She continued and opened the back cover. "Yup, looks like you are the first person to ever borrow this book, Hailey." Hailey could only smile in return. She wasn't sure if she should feel embarrassed or honored for borrowing the copy. She watched silently as Miss Joo write a few things on the back cover of the book. "There. The book is yours and you've got two weeks to return it. You might need to remind her, Wonwoo." Wonwoo took the book and smiled at the Librarian.

"Don't worry about it. The report is due in two weeks. Thank you, Miss." Wonwoo bowed and beckoned Hailey with a nod of his head. Hailey turned to the Librarian and thanked her before walking out of the library with Wonwoo close behind. 

"Here." Wonwoo started as he pass the copy to Hailey. "A few rules about renting library books - rent period is two weeks and you must return it before 12.00PM sharp. Try not to doodle or fold the pages of the book or tear them. And don't leave them lying around unsupervised." Wonwoo briefed on their way back to class. "Got it?" Hailey nodded. "Who do you have in mind?" Wonwoo asked suddenly. Hailey was confused and he knew when she just stared blankly at him. Wonwoo grinned before he continues, "Which character are you planning to write about?"

"Oh." Hailey exclaimed finally understanding his inquiry. "Well, there's the White Rabbit. For sure no one will write about him. But I have always been fascinated with the March Hare."

"The mad rabbit? Why?"

"I don't know. At the tea party, there's The Hatter, The March Hare and The Dormouse but many are into the Hatter than the other two. And considering that the mouse is not that interesting, I say the Hare." Wonwoo laughed lightly.

"You have a thing for rabbits?" He asked.

"No." Haylie asnwered, a part of her was slightly offended by his question but his reaction was hard to tell. She wasn't sure if he knew he had hurt her feelings. There is something very interesting about this boy. Before he opened his mouth, she thought he was just an angst growing teenage boy with his cold stare and expression. But after talking to him for a while, it turns out Wonwoo is pretty nice but he was still hard to figure out which made Hailey still a little cautious around him. Without knowing, they arrived in front of their classroom door and as usual Wonwoo opened the door for her and tilted his head to her. Haylie entered the classroom and saw everyone already gathered with their respective partners. Tia and Minhee were both not in their place.

"Looks like I have to shift to Tia's place." Haylie turned and saw Minhee sitting next to Wonwoo's chair and Tia is sitting next to Vernon's place. "I'll get my things, I'll see you at your place." he continued and moved to his table. Mrs Sanders were seen sitting behind the teacher's desk and writing vigilantly onto her notebook. Haylie made her way to her table and as she took her seat, she watched as Sara animatedly argue and commanded the other two boys. Hoshi seemed to be the stubborn one while Seokmin just looks hyperactive who overly agrees with everything. Or anything.

Just as Haylie took her seat, her eyes met with Hoshi's. "A piece of advice, never ever be in a discussion group with her." he pointed towards Sara with his thumb. In a flash, Sara managed to grabbed her notebook and swing it towards his head. He looked at Haylie with a blank expression before he spoke. "See what I mean."

"Focus, Tweedle Dee." Sara urged. "Don't listen to them." She turned and said to Haylie before turning back and continue with her discussion. Haylie on the other, turned to her book and opened it where she began reading the first few pages, from where Alice saw and followed the white rabbit all the way down the rabbit hole and into the tunnel, when Wonwoo came and sat in Tia's place. 

"Ready?" There was a certain ease with the way Wonwoo speak and move. Everything he does seemed relaxing, cool. And that impresses her. 

"So what are going to do?" Haylie asked taking out her notebook from her bag. That was when she noticed that Sara, Tia and Minhee didn't have any bags with them. This class is really unique.

"First, what was the most memorable event in this book that appeal to you? And please don't say the tea party."

"I think half of the class would say that. But if we don't talk about that, there is pretty much nothing for me to connect it with the Hare." Haylie commented. 

"I don't think we agreed to write about the Hare, yet?"

"No we didn't but you did asked me about who was my personal favourite character."

"No I didn't. I asked which character you want to write about?" Haylie noticed how she was smiling the entire time she was talking with Wonwoo until he made that remark. Her smile disappeared immediately and she noticed how he smirked back at her. 

"Well, I don't think the caterpillar will be interesting." His smirk didn't leave his handsome face. 

"Looks like someone's insulted." Haylie looked up at his smirking face wondering how many times have he noticed he insulted her or anyone around him. Or if it is his style. Or even if it ever bothered him how much he insulted people. Haylie continued to keep her lips tight. "What do you think about the trial?" Wonwoo continued. Clearly no remorse, Haylie thought.

"Predictable. I mean it is Alice's Wonderland, there was no way that she will be beheaded."

"Why are you so fascinated with the March Hare?"

"He's a mad rabbit."

"He's more interesting than a white rabbit that wears a waistcoat and carrying a stop-watch?" Now he's patronizing me.

"As opposed to a caterpillar who sits on his on a mushroom smoking hookah?"

"Nice." Haylie heard Hoshi exclaimed behind her. She turned and saw both Seokmin and Hoshi smiling encouragingly at her.

"Feisty." Seokmin agreed.

"I like you girl." Sara seconded. "Looks like you got yourself a rival in the book department, Wonwoo." Instead of snapping back at Sara, as Haylie would assumed Wonwoo would have done, he just huffed a snicker. 

"You got a point there. But that doesn't validate how the March Hare is still a more interesting character. All he ever does is follow what the Hatter said." Wonwoo spoke, getting back into the heat of their book discussion. 

"True. But he is also a man of his own stand. He may follow what the Hatter does but that does not mean he doesn't know his way around." Wonwoo nodded. His face cold and stern as he digest Haylie's explanation. 

"So are we talking about the tea party and the March Hare?" Wonwoo concluded. He was flipping through his copy of the book as he spoke. 

"Only if you agree to it." Haylie responded.

"Considering this is your first book assignment and Mrs. Sanders seemed very keen on not letting me take up majority of the work, we'll go with your idea." Wonwoo said. He looked up from his book and smile slightly at Haylie. 

"Cool." Haylie replied nonchalantly. Or so she thinks.

"So if our report , it's entirely on you." Wonwoo added. Again with his insults. Haylie was stunned by his words. There is something very curious about this boy whose cold and steely exterior contradict the malice and wit behind them. It is as if, Haylie wasn't sure if he was trying to help her or simply just trying to make her life miserable. This boy is dangerous, she thinks to herself.

"Alright class. That will be all for today. I do hope to find crispy and entertaining reports in two weeks." Mrs. Sanders exclaimed to the whole class as she gathers her things on the table. "And for some of you, I hope you put in a little more of your effort into this report. And Haylie..." Haylie looked away from Wonwoo who is still reading his book and turned to the teacher, "Welcome to Mori Hills Prep." Haylie replied with a smile and a nod and watched her English teacher saunters out of class. Almost immediately, the noise came back and everyone was back at their places. 

"I cannot believe I have Hoshi and DK for my assignment." Sara complained. She clearly was unhappy with the teacher's choice. Tia and Minhee made it back to their chair just in time to hear Sara's comments. 

"I'm lucky I got Seungkwan this time. At least I know something will be done and I don't have to try too hard." Tia said. 

"Jun's not bad either." Minhee stated. "But lucky you, Haylie." The other two girls nodded their head in agreement. Haylie on the other hand wasn't sure if she could agree with that. It was an hour of mild roller coaster ride with Wonwoo for Haylie, and Haylie hates roller coaster even the ones at Disneyland. He went from sweet to warm to sinister and cheeky all in sixty minutes and she wasn't sure what his exact purpose for being so. 

"I don't know about that." Haylie replied turning a few pages on her book.

"Don't worry about Wonwoo. He may look cold and unfriendly but really he isn't." Sara stated.

"Sometimes slightly snarky. And sarcastic." Tia added.

"Cheeky and witty too. Although, I never do get his jokes. He's always telling jokes to the class and they seem to find it funny but I just don't get it." Minhee joined. Both Sara and Tia chuckled at her comments.

"Let's just say, he is unpredictable. Those who don't know him would assume he is this emo loner guy. But he is actually wise beyond his years. I think that's because he reads a lot." Sara asserted. "He's mysterious in a way but he's not that bad." We'll see about that, Haylie contemplated quietly. "After this we got Maths and History. For Maths, Jeonghan and Seungcheol are definitely the front runners of this class. Joshua is the man for History. If you're lucky, you could be partnered up with them."

"Yeah, but our Maths and History teachers are nothing like Mrs. Sanders." Tia warned. Haylie couldn't focus on the next few words that the girls said as her mind was reeling on the thoughts of more class assignments. These girls must be trying to scare her. As her mind tries to settle down, there was one more thing she wanted to know.

"Wait, just now you said another name...DK?" Haylie turned and asked Sara. "Who's he?"

"Oh, that's Seokmin's nickname. Hoshi's real name is Soonyoung. And Ji Hoon, we call him Woozi." If having more class assignments is too much for her brain too handle, it looks like her classmates' names was another task that she should accomplish. Especially if she truly was to spend her entire time with them until she graduates.