Chapter Four - Lunch Hour

Haylie & Seventeen Adventures in Wonderland

Three classes had passed since English - Basic Maths, Korean History and Algebra, and Haylie is stressed out wondering if she will ever manage to complete all the assignments assigned to them. And all of it are due in two weeks. How glad was she when the bell rang for the end of Algebra where it also marks the beginning of lunch. However, so many hours had passed that it was already 12.15PM and not only is she hungry but her brain has reached it maximum capability in absorbing any more information or conjuring any more ideas. So far, she has been partnered with Wonwoo; a snarky yet sweet guy with a steely cold stare, Dino; a boy who looks too young for his age yet very hardworking and smart, Sara who luckily was were a free pick as the History teacher allowed the class to be partnered with anyone and Joshua for Algebra. Aside from Wonwoo, she's pretty much satisfied with her other assigned partners but she's not too happy with the amount of work that she needs to complete. 

Lunch hour starts the same for every class. The girls led her to the cafeteria just behind the main building and Haylie was astonished by the size and space of the cafeteria. Her old school’s cafeteria was big enough to fit just about everyone in the school but it was still too small. But in Mori Hills Prep, it was just as big as the cafeteria in Gerard's office.

Two years after her mother dated Gerard, he invited both of them to his office for lunch. She won't deny how delicious the food was there. But she was most impressed with the size of the place and the interior. Gerard works in a marketing and branding company so the interior was clean and colourful. The same cannot be said about Mori Hills Prep's cafeteria.

Indeed, the space are huge but the table were aligned just like every other school cafeteria's. What she was even more impressed though was how eager the students rushing in for lunch. No one ever rushes into her old cafeteria.

"The food here must be good." Haylie said.

"Good. Try amazing." Tia exclaimed.

"Parents pay good money to get their kids into this school, Haylie." Sara began. "Most of the funds will of course go to the meals. Besides, the nearest town is like twenty minutes away so there's pretty much no other way for you to enjoy good food." Sara and Tia took the lead and grabbed a tray each. Minhee grabbed one for herself and passed one to Haylie, who is still amazed by the decor and the size of the cafeteria. 

"Every Monday they'll usually serve noodles. Looks like today it's fried udon." Minhee stated as she craned her neck to look down the line. Haylie turned and saw a few people working around behind the food counter. Some were cooking, some were washing salads and some were serving the food and placing them on the counter. Nothing much about that was different, but the portion is definitely bigger than her old school. Suddenly, she noticed how hungry she was since she got here.

The girls led her towards the back of the cafeteria where the other boys from her class were sitting. They sat at the same table and the boys didn't seem to be bother by them. Haylie turned to see if the others were sitting with their respective classes but it was her first day and she barely knew anyone else except her classmates. 

"This school has a reputation. Believe it or not, the failure rate is only 0.82% and that is not too good."

"You mean getting an almost perfect rate is not good enough?"

"That means we couldn't even reached a 99.9% of excellence."

"You sound like you're promoting the school to her." Seungkwan exclaimed as he made his way to the table and sat next to Minhee. "Give it a rest Sara. She's already in the school."

"It's Sara, Seungkwan. She is Mori Hills very own Hilary Clinton. There's always a cause to campaign." Tia said.

"Oh shut it both of you. I am all about what is best for this school. I love it here."

"We know." Seungkwan and Tia mocked. Sara rolled her eyes in returned. 

"So Haylie. Any interest for extra-curriculum?" Seungkwan asked. So far out of the boys, only Seungkwan and Joshua have shown any interest to talk with Haylie. Wonwoo only spoke to her during English and mostly he was just teasing.

"I'm not too sure what's available though. I barely have time to look through the curriculum book."

"Well, there's Drama Club, both Seungkwan and myself are in it and we are also in the Music Club with some of the other boys." Sara began. " You can also join me with the Honors Society." Tia and Seungkwan both rolled their eyes at the mentioned of Honors Society. "Hey, Joshua is part of it too." Sara added.

"What about you, Tia?" Haylie turned and asked Tia who is sitting next to her. 

"Minhee and I are both in Home Econ."

"I love to bake." Minhee replied.

"And I love to eat." Tia smiled as she took a big scoop of udon.

"Of course, you'll do more than just culinary in Home Econs." Sara added.

"Are you part of it too?" Haylie asked. Seungkwan and Tia both chuckled.

"No, I'm not. I have too many on my plate already."

"You can join the English Club." Minhee suggested.

"Why would she do that?" Sara asked.

"Because she likes to read." Minhee replied. "And Wonwoo is there." The girls exchanged looks with Seungkwan.

"Where are you going with this Minhee?" Seungkwan asked.

"Do you like Wonwoo?" Tia asked. Haylie, still trying to make sense of Minhee's suggestion, did not notice that Tia was posting the question to her. Until she turned and saw Tia with her eyebrows raised. 

"Wait, are you asking me?" She asked. She turned to everyone else and both Sara and Seungkwan were looking at her too. "I just met everyone today."

"I didn't mean she likes Wonwoo," Minhee continued. "It's just that she likes to read and she has an interest in writing. And since Wonwoo is there, she won't be by herself." The others nodded but there was something that was still bothering them. "Relax guys, it's Wonwoo. Haylie would be crazy if she said she doesn't like Wonwoo. Who doesn't?" Minhee exclaimed and the other two girls nodded reluctantly.

"Wonwoo has a reputation amongst the ladies." Seungkwan mentioned. "Every girl in this school has a crush on him."

"Not everyone." Tia opposed.

"You thought he was cute." Minhee replied.

"He is cute. But I don't have a crush on him."

"I don't think I have the time to like anyone, right now.” Haylie replied immediately. “I have never been in this kind of environment where the food is good but the work is crazy. I don't know if I can cope with extra-curriculum activities."

"Which is why you should join the English Club." Minhee rectified. "You don’t have to join the heavy competitions. Just be part of the discussions."

"How do you know all this?" Seungkwan asked. "Are you Wonwoo's stalker?"

"I wish." Minhee replied with a dreamy look in her eyes. "But I'm not psychotic enough to do that. Anyways, I was part of the club last year. For like two months."

"Let me guess, you joined because of Wonwoo." Sara guessed.

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Do you still like him?" Tia asked.

"No. He's too mysterious. I like that character on myself instead of someone else." Minhee replied cheerfully. Haylie can't help but to assume that there is something whimsical about Minhee. She's very mysterious and most of the time very vague. She hardly replies or talks but when she does, it sort of seem like she's quoting a poem. It is as if during those quiet times, she was thinking of the best possible way to reply in rhymes.

"What about the others?" Haylie asked suddenly curious.

"Well, Seungkwan is the drama king. That's why he mostly hangs around us." Seungkwan stood straight in his chair and flipped an invisible hair like a how a drama queen would do. 

"Bow to me you emotionless creatures." He spoke in a grand voice. The other girls giggled and Haylie smiled knowing that he was just acting. 

"That is also why he joined the Drama Club." Sara added.

"Indeed." Seungkwan exasperated. "But I can never win over your class of drama, Sara."

"Oh please. As good as we are, we are not the best of the best in this school." Sara replied.

"None of us are." Tia rectified. "Oh, Joshua, Seungcheol and Jeonghan, are like the three Musketeers. They are always together and even when they joke, they always get it. "They all turned and looked at the three boys sitting at the far end of the table, laughing and joking around together.

"And they are known as the three big brothers in the class." Seungkwan added. "They got pretty good leadership qualities."

"Except, Jeonghan is known to be the little Joker and Seungcheol, he's just well, he is always smiling and wanting to do things himself first. Jeonghan is in the basketball team and Seongchol is in the wrestling team." Sara said. "He's very protective of all of us. Well, they are the three most protective of all of us actually."

"Then there's Jun." Tia nodded towards a handsome boy sitting next to Wonwoo. "He's the cool one but also the one who jokes around the most. He's actually pretty affectionate too and sometimes way too positive." 

"But that comes in handy, most of the time." Minhee added. Haylie giggled at her response.

"What about Ji Hoon and Soon Young?" Haylie asked of the two boys sitting in front of Wonwoo and Jun.

"Woozi and Hoshi. That's what we call them. You can find Woozi spending half of his time in campus in the music room. Hoshi and Jun are in the Dance Club." Sara said. "Woozi is way too adorable but behind that cute face, he's pretty serious and very hardworking. He's the type who complains about how much he hates school but ends up studying up all night long and scoring better than everyone."

"And Hoshi is also part of the three bandits in our class." Tia continued.

"Who are the three bandits?" Haylie asked and she saw the three girls turned and gave a knowing look to Seungkwan, who is nonchalantly eating his food. When he looked up he looked at the three girls, still nonchalant of their previous conversation.

"Seungkwan is part of the three bandits." Minhee stated, turning back at her food.

"Together with Hoshi and DK." Tia added.

"DK? And why did you call them with different names?" Haylie asked, suddenly remembered how both Ji Hoon and Hoshi are called differently.

"Well, Hoshi's parents and family called him that so we just got stuck with it. The boys started it first." Seungkwan explained first.

"Ji Hoon is way too cute to be called Ji Hoon. So it's Woozi." Tia explained next.

"And DK is short for Dokyeom. Now he has a very interesting story. Seokmin was not supposed to be in our class. Another boy, real name Dokyeom, was supposed to be in our class but the school's administration got their names mixed up and Seokmin ended being Dokyeom and entered our class." Sara finished. "When they found out their names were changed, they were given an option, either to change class or to stay put. By that time, it was all too late so Seokmin decided to stay and we decided to and call him Dokyeom."

"A few months later, Dokyeom sounds so boring so we shortened it to DK. And he never opposes." Tia added.

"I don't think he will."  Minhee said.

"Yeah, he's way too happy to get offended by a simple nickname joke. That is why we also call him Happy DK." Seungkwan said. Haylie nodded, clearly intrigued with variety of characters of her classmates. "Who else is there?" Seungkwan asked looking down the table. 

"Okay, the tallest dude in our class and sitting on the other side of Wonwoo, that's Mingyu." Sara pointed to the tallest boy down the line who is sitting very close to Wonwoo but laughing together with DK and another boy sitting next to Seungkwan. "That dude next to Seungkwan, that's Minghao."

"And these two," Tia pointed to the two boys next to her, who are also in with Mingyu's and DK's jokes, "are Vernon and Dino. Vernon is all about my way or the highway, although he is one of the most likable people in this school."

"Well, he's cute too." Sara added.

"Dino, well, he's just Dino. Smart, settled and has a hearty laugh." Right then Dino cracked into laughter and Tia turned with a I-told-you-so look. "See what I mean." Haylie smiled and nodded. “Oh and DK is really talented in baseball. Him, Jeonghan and Seungchol are the only three boys that are active in their respective sports. The rest of us are just in some clubs or societies.”

"So none of you guys has ever changed class?" Haylie asked. 

"Nope. We have been together since we all got into this school. No new students were assigned to our class either. Until you came." Seungkwan replied.

"Does everyone in this school like have lunch with their classmates?" Haylie asked again.

"Mostly, but we just got stuck together." Tia stated.

"There's a purpose." Seungkwan added. "People like me, we don't do well with most of the kids in this school."

"In the beginning, some of us got bullied,” Sara jumped in. “but Seungcheol, Jeonghan and Joshua sort of came up with a plan for all of us to stick together."

"There's something you need to know about Seungcheol."  Tia began. "He is in the wrestling team and he is the best. Joshua, he's our year Class President and almost every girl in this school is in love or falling in love or probably having a huge crush on Wonwoo and Mingyu. So that alone gives us enough leverage to get away with almost anything." Haylie listened carefully but she couldn't shake off the worry inside of her.

The people in her class were victims of school bullying. Would that make her a target too as the new girl? New students sometimes get bullied too, don't they? And there's so much about Mori Hills Prep that she has yet too explore and she still wasn't sure if she is comfortable with this school yet. There's a reason why she wasn't interested to make many friends in her previous schools. There was a reason why she chose to be invisible because she didn't want to be a victim or a witness of school bullying. Now, she's not so sure if she is able to be invisible again.