Chapter One - First Day of School

Haylie & Seventeen Adventures in Wonderland

Mori Hills Preparatory School - an international boarding school situated so deep in the forest of South Korea where the students are separated from the busy streets and concrete jungle of city, the aromatic smell of coffee and of course the world of modern shopping. A majestic brick building stood firm and grounded decorated with a rustic grey water fountain welcoming all staffs, students and guests. Everything about this school and the ground that it stood on although its gray tone sets a dark atmosphere, the majesty of the school brings out the authority that is also warm and welcoming. How does something so cold could also be so warm.

Haylie Ryan looked out the window of the car. Her brows furrowed, not exactly sure what to expect as the Mori Hills Prep School came into view. Her heart pounded as she anticipates her next few minutes as she steps out of the car. What kind of students will be her classmates? Will her teachers be just like those psychotic boarding school teachers like in the movies? Will her roommate be a weird person who is into ual things that she has no knowledge of? The car she was driving in continue to drive slowly and made its way around the fountain. Haylie noticed two persons standing right in front of the entrance door and her heart pounded even faster. 

"Aren't you excited about this, honey?" Her mother called out next to her. 

"Yes." No. Haylie lied. She wasn't excited about anything. Not since her mother decided she wanted to remarry the guy who is part of the PTA members of the boarding school that they forced her to admit into. Her mother knew from the tone of her voice that she was not excited about it but Haylie will never tell her exactly what she is thinking. It was a habit she had picked up since her father passed away seven years ago. After years of listening to her mother's cry in the middle of the night and watching her suffering from the pain of losing her husband, Haylie learned to keep her own suffering a secret from her mother. She didn't want further suffering from anyone besides, with her friends, she was able to managed the pain of losing her father. She was just only ten anyway, she was too young to understand anything.

"You'll love this school." Gerard, her mother's new husband stated. Haylie rolled her eyes and saw from the window reflection that he was smiling and staring out at the building. Gerard went to this school during his teenage years and being an alumni means he was able to be part of the PTA members. Of course, his two children have both graduated from the same school. Truthfully, Haylie wasn't sure if she was more annoyed with her mother's new husband who seem to think everything will be okay and that despite being all fluffy and rainbows, there has to be rules for everything or that both of them decided that sending her to boarding school was for her own benefit. "Look, there's Principle Song. And next to her is the Foreign exchange Students Secretary, Miss Min. I think they're waiting for us." Gerard exclaimed excitedly.

"I was born here. I'm not an exchanged student." Haylie replied. "Why would the rep be here?"

"It's procedure, I guess." Gerard replied, flustered. That's what Haylie tends to do to him. Her response tends to make him flustered. There are times when Haylie wasn't sure that he was just flustered or annoyed with her. The car stopped and the driver walked out to open the back door for her. Brows still furrowed, reluctantly Haylie steps out. Indeed the Principle and the Foreign Student Rep had friendly smiles on their faces but Haylie felt less than friendly to even greet them. She stood her ground and continue to frown at them. 

"Mr. Thorn." The Principle greeted Gerard. 

"Principle Song." He greeted back and took her hands with both of his. "How are you?"

"I'm well, thank you." Principle Song replied. Her eyes turned and looked at Haylie. "This must be Haylie."

"Yes, that's Haylie." Gerard reiterated. "And this is Haylie's mother, Rhea." 

"Nice to meet you Mrs. Thorn. And to you Haylie, welcome to Mori Hills Prep." Haylie kept her frown. "This is Miss Min. She's Mori Hills counsellor." Gerard looked astounded.

"I didn't know you changed position." Gerard spoke to Miss Min.

"Mr Tak resigned a few months ago. We announced it during the PTA session which I believe you weren't around at the time." Miss Min replied matter-of-factly. "I'm taking over the school's Counselling Department."

"Well then, congratulation Miss Min." Gerard replied, taking her hand and firmly shook it. Haylie's mother extended hers to congratulate as well. 

"Well, let's not waste anymore time, school will begin shortly. I will take Haylie to my office where she will meet her class rep. Miss Min on the hand will you to the registration department to sign a few more forms and later proceed to her dorm." Principle Song spoke and rest a hand softly on Haylie's shoulder, as if trying to console her anxious heart but it didn't have the affect on Haylie. She was still cold and the frown never left her face. 

"Thank you, Principle Song." Her mother said, taking the principle's hand and shook it appreciatively. "Honey, you will understand one day that this is the best for you." Her mother continue, placing both hands on her shoulder and taking to her as if she was still an immature eight years old. Haylie hated that. She never liked it when her mother spoke to her like she's too young. She is already sixteen and is able to care for herself. 

"Have fun back in the city." Haylie replied, pulling her bag further up her shoulder drawing away her mother's hands from her. She could see the small hurt in her mother's eyes when she spoke but at that time she was too selfish to care. Her husband is around to make her feel better anyways. With one lazy glance at her mother and her stepfather, Haylie turned and walked into the school leaving everyone else behind in silence. With a slight cough and a last farewell to Haylie's mother, Principle Song followed behind Haylie and made her way into the school.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the Principle's Office

"Academically, you seem very promising Haylie. Mind if I ask what are your interests?" Principle Song asked as she flipped through a brown cardboard file which Haylie assumes contains all of her academic achievements for the past few years. 

"Reading. Maths. English." Haylie replied nonchalantly. 

"You know, Mori Hills is not like other boarding schools."

"I think every other boarding schools will say that." Haylie retorted. Principle Song smiled expectantly. 

"Well, most of our classes are full. I haven't got much of a choice but to place you in Class 17. I think you will fit in well with those...kids." There was something about the way Principle Song said the word kids - it was like there's something extraordinary about them. "I'll have you know this, we have thirteen boys in that class and only three girls. What are the odds that with your addition, there will be exactly seventeen students in that class." She continued and Haylie is still finding it hard to shake off the way the Principle said the word kids. Just then, someone knocked on her office door and boy with distinctively handsome features popped his head in and presented the Principle a sweet smile. 

"May I come in, Ma'am?" Said the boy in a sweet and smooth voice. 

"Yes, you may Joshua." She replied. Haylie had her eyes locked on the boy. It wasn't her first time meeting a boy but it was the first time for her to meet a boy that seem to be walking with a halo on his head. He was moving and talking like an angel. The boy walked and stood next to the Principle's table. "Haylie, this is Joshua. He is the Class President for Class 17. He will take you to your class. Mr. Hong, this is your new classmate. Please make sure that the rest of you take good care of her." Joshua smiled at Haylie and nodded at the Principle. "Haylie, I hope you will enjoy your first semester here especially with your classmates. Just try not to get into trouble." Principle Song stated but her eyes were directed at Joshua who on the other hand smiled knowingly. 

"We will try our best, Principle Song." Joshua spoke, bowing slightly.

"You will find the people in your class quite amusing and...unique, Miss Thorn." All the curiosities that swam in her mind just a few minutes ago, with how the Principle described her classmates, immediately got wiped out when she called her by her stepfather's name. The frown came back to her face even before she stood up from her chair. 

"It's Ryan. Haylie Ryan. My mother is the one who married Gerard." Her statement stunned the Principle and also Joshua. The boy could sense the cold atmosphere and with a smile he bowed farewell to the Principle and politely led Haylie to the door. One last look at the Principle, Haylie turned and exit the office with Joshua behind her. 

"Well, I guess the first thing to do is, welcome to Mori Hills Prep." Joshua greeted warmly after he closed the Principle's office door. "Joshua Hong." He extended his hand, expecting Haylie to shake them but all she did was stare at him. "You should shake them." He continued. Surprised, Haylie slowly draw out her hand and shook his. His grip was firm but gentle at the same time just like everything else about him. "Just so you know, we're not that bad. But we tend to get into a lot of trouble." The frown returned back to her face.

"What did you guys do?" There was something about the way Haylie asked that question that rubbed Joshua the wrong way. 

Turning his head slightly, he firmly said, "Principle Song said we are unique. Not troublemakers. We didn't murder anyone, if that's what you're thinking." Haylie was taken aback by Joshua's reply. He doesn't seem to be the type who would harm anyone but at that moment, she knew he was not someone that could easily be messed with. Silently, she followed behind him as they made their way into the hallway.

"This is the long hallway. We hardly ever walked here from our dorm. Throughout this long hallway are the offices. That," Joshua pointed to the door at the end of the hall, "is the Infirmary. There are two school nurses. Anything more serious than a normal fever, one of them will take you to the doctor in town." Haylie is astounded on how fast Joshua was able to be cold and intimidating to warm and welcoming in a few seconds but at that moment, she was too afraid to acknowledged the sudden change.

"There's a town nearby?" She carefully chose her question. 

"Yeah about ten minutes away. It's nothing like the city. Just a small town with all the necessities we really need." He answered, all animosity from before gone. "That building there, that's the library." Joshua continued pointing out the window towards another building just outside. The dorms are the buildings at the back of the compound. It's slightly far from the classes but you'll get used to it." Joshua threw her a sweet smile before he continued.  "That building over there," he said pointing out to the window on the other side of the hallway, "that's the labs and studios. And next to it is the Grand Hall. If you can see the class schedule, you'll notice that our labs and studios classes are bunched up in a day."

"Where can I get the class schedule?" Haylie asked suddenly remember how she has no clue about her class schedule. 

"In our classroom. We put it up behind the class but I think I have a copy in my bag. Just let me check if I have it and I will pass it to you."

"So basically, once you are assigned to a class, you'll be stuck in that class forever." Haylie stated. 

"Just until you're graduated. Forever is too damn long, don't you think?" Joshua smirked and together they turned the corner that leads to her classrooms.

Haylie followed silently, not quite sure how her time in this boarding school will be like for her. Already on her first day she didn't really like her Principle who got her name wrong, her class president seemed to be very unpredictable and she is still unsure of how her classmates are going to be like. On top of all that, she has yet to see where she will be sleeping. As if today can't get any worse for her.