I Promise You

Double Lives

"Hyung, do you...somehow think..I'm different as well?" Mingyu asked feeling like the whole world was going to swallow him up. 

"Mmm, no? Why?" a clueless Wonwoo replied blinking curiously as he rest his chin on his sweater paws. Flustered by the adorable sight, Mingyu gulped and asked again. "I mean like, after what Seungkwan said...aren't you like curious or maybe even weirded out?"

"Is it a disgusting thing that I feel like I like-like boys? I don't even know anymore." Mingyu mumbled as tears started to brim. He tried to swallow a threatening sob that was going to come out, but failed miserably when a choked sob came out from his quivering lips instead.

It was a typical Friday night for the boys, they would always hang out after an exhausting day of school or would even have a sleepover at each other's house. However, today was different, everything was just wrong about today. He was in a mess right now, his thoughts, his feelings, his entire being. 

"I'm just...SO CONFUSED!" there, he said it, what he has been feeling all this time. Right then and there Mingyu just broke down, tears dampening the blanket he was clutching onto so tightly. This was a sight he didn't want to show Wonwoo, this was a side of him he so desperately wanted to hide, away from everyone even himself. Especially from his pure, innocent, beloved but clueless best friend.

Earlier that day

"Yah, Mingyu-ah, aren't you being too touchy with Wonwoo?" Mr know-it-all asked with an eyebrow raised. Clearly taken aback by the question, Mingyu hesitantly replied "Erm..no?" Without even giving Mingyu a chance to explain Seungkwan cut in "Well, I clearly think, actually we" gesturing his whole class "think that you are too touchy and it gets annoying and disturbing." "Yeah...sitting behind you guys is really disturbing. I feel like I'm third wheeling." Seokmin complained with a scowl. 

"Excuse me, I'm still here you know." a bored Wonwoo interjected rolling his eyes clearly unamused by the situation. You see Seungkwan is the class's gossip king, he's the nosiest and noisiest human being you would ever meet. He gets the juiciest and latest gossip anyone could think of and where he got them from? Well, that's still a mystery. 

Wonwoo casually leant back onto Mingyu's shoulders as he sees Seungkwan blabbering his head off about how Mingyu is disturbing, weird and being all comfortable with a boy. A frustrated sigh escapes his lips, "What if I say I'm fine with it?" Wonwoo challenged. "HA SEE! I told--" "Wait what?" Wonwoo swore Seungkwan's jaw nearly reached the ants and all the eraser dusts on the ground. "I said--" pressing his lips into a thin line as he was being interrupted once more "Whatever you say small eyes, but I'm still right." earning a few nods here and there. 

"I Boo fabulous Seungkwan officially declare that I think Mingyu likes boys and is GAY." purposefully emphasising on that word. Wonwoo could feel Mingyu instantly tense up behind him at that word. He slowly turned around meeting a pair of nervous eyes trying to avoid his gaze, Wonwoo immediately slipped his hands into Mingyu's giving it a reassuring squeeze. Mingyu cautiously looked up and Mingyu swore that the expression Wonwoo wore on his face was the most endearing and affectionate one he had ever seen. 

After that uneventful situation, school went by like a drag for Mingyu. Everything was slow, he couldn't focus in class he skipped lunch and he even tried to avoid his classmates, well with Wonwoo being an exception because he insisted that Mingyu needed his company. Which was true. Mingyu was eerily quiet the entire day it somehow scared Wonwoo because Mingyu was never this affected by something. But he thought that the boy just needed sometime to think, to figure things out. 

"Look gyu, I may not fully understand how and what you are feeling right now. But I'm positive that you will not go through this alone. You still have me." Wonwoo tried as he comforted Mingyu with hugs and reassuring pats on the back, however all he still heard was soft sobs and the feeling of his sweater getting wetter by the second.

At the age of 15 every teenager including Mingyu and Wonwoo is experiencing change. They start to discover and realise who they really are, their identity. And being in a all boys middle school didn't really help Mingyu realise anything much, it just made him even more confused of himself. You could also say that Mingyu is a pretty early bloomer, he started realising that he acted differently around boys especially Wonwoo. Mingyu was terrified of girls, he disliked the way they acted around guys, he disliked how fast they talked, he disliked how high and squeaky their voice sounds and the list goes on. All in all, he feels more comfortable more accepted around guys. Most of them share similar interest like basketball, they are not as dramatic and demanding as girls, they are just so much better. Girls never made his heart skip a beat, never, but Wonwoo did. Girls never made him feel like he was himself, but Wonwoo did. Girls never made him feel like he should make a move and tell them that he likes them, but Wonwoo did. That was when reality decided to hit him square on the face that, he actually like-like boys and he can't run away from that. Oh how many times had he tried to look at girls forcing himself to think that they are pretty and how hard he tried to convince himself that he was into girls just like everyone else. He even tried to google on “how to fall for girls”. Despite all that, he just can't make himself do it or change.

He knew Wonwoo wouldn't get it if he told him everything now, he knew Wonwoo. And Wonwoo being the late bloomer he is, didn't quite understand the term gay yet however was still willing to stick by Mingyu's side. "Hyung will always by your side no matter what. As cheesy as it sounds, we'll get through this together hand in hand and what gay is. It doesn't matter what you like or what you are. We'll figure this out together alright?" fingers gently running through Mingyu's soft hair. Mingyu timidly nodded his head against Wonwoo's chest as he tried to even out his breathing clutching onto Wonwoo's sweater. 

"Forget what that bloated face had to say about you and just trust me. I'll be your knight in shining armour gyu!!!" a determined Wonwoo proclaimed waving his arms around in the air with his sweater sleeves dangling at the ends, receiving a weak whack on the chest by Mingyu with a breathless laugh. "Promise you won't leave me hyung? Even if I really end up liking boys?" Mingyu mumbled. "I promise you dork, I told you to trust me didn't I? Aish...I'll treat you 50 nuggets later at McDonald's if it makes you feel better?" throwing a half hearted dirty glare at Mingyu which he failed so badly because Mingyu started laughing his off. "Alright your treat hyung!! And stop trying to act all fierce, you at it!" Mingyu teased as he tried to sniffle back his snot "Oh damn you gyu, you tall piece of grossness." Wonwoo retorted as he chased Mingyu down the hallway.

The journey ahead of them wasn't very promising but 15 year old Mingyu knows that as long as Wonwoo was by his side, everything is going to turn out be just fine. Because he trusts Wonwoo with all his messed up heart was willing to hold.