one

how to be *u

Hansol and Jeonghan had been friends since the start of the school year. They had a lot of subjects together, were seatmates in a few, and all in all they hit it off quite well. Their relationship had been great: they shared the same interests, particularly in music and movies, and conversation went along smoothly for them. As opposite as they might appear – Hansol and his boyish style and masculine face, and Jeonghan with his pretty long hair and mature aura – they were pretty much birds of the same feather. However, while Jeonghan might have soared like an eagle whenever it came to their studies, Hansol tended to flop around like a chicken, or a penguin, or an ostrich with its head buried under the ground.

“Wait, so this sodium anion is supposed to go with–“

“Sodium is not an anion, Hansol.”

“Jesus Christ, could you let me finish?” Hansol says as he mournfully drapes himself on top the library table, the sound of papers rustling as notebooks and textbooks were crushed under his upper body matching his tired ‘ugh’s.

“Dude, you weren’t getting anywhere anyway,” Jeonghan makes no attempt of making him feel better. He ruffles Hansol’s hair though, as he still had his head down on the table, and that somehow offers a bit of comfort for him.

It wasn’t that weird anymore, when Jeonghan does stuff like this. He always held Hansol for seconds longer than necessary, hugged him whenever they met up, leaned his head on his shoulder from time to time when he got sleepy, and if Hansol were honest with himself, he found them a bit odd at first. He supposed Jeonghan was just really a very touchy person, and over time Hansol found out that he didn’t really mind.

(“Wait, Jeonghan piggyback-ed you on the way here?”

“Yeah, Soonyoung. So, as I was saying –“

“But dude, Jeonghan never lets anyone touch him. Even if they had a sprained ankle or not.”

“Well, I wouldn’t want you going anywhere near me either, to be honest.”

Soonyoung whacks Hansol on the head.)

“But Chemistry is so hard,” Hansol whines with his face smushed on top of his notebooks. “I seriously don’t understand anything. As if that wasn’t bad enough, I’m already pretty much failing the subject. I don’t want to take it again next semester,” he raises his head up with a pout.

Hansol notices Jeonghan’s eyes travel down to his mouth for a split second before their eyes meet. “You’ll get the hang of it. No one is born good at Chemistry. You’ll have to learn it,” Jeonghan says as he shifts his focus to and flips to the next page of his own textbook, as if to distract himself from the sight of Hansol’s face. Rude, Hansol thinks.

“Why can’t I be as good as you? I even watched video tutorials on YouTube but they barely helped.” Hansol tries going back to solving the trial problems on his book. “And why do I even need to learn this. I won’t even need this stuff in real life, anyway.”

“Well, you need it to pass, Hansol.”

“Shut up, Jeonghan.”

“If only you put as much effort into Chemistry as you did with English.”

“Well, I’m already good at it in the first place, that’s why I like it so much. Chemistry, on the other hand…” Hansol trails off, before he slams his book down on the table with a thud, causing Jeonghan to look up at him again. “I give up.”

“Calling it a day already?” Jeonghan raises an eyebrow.

“Yeah, this is too much information for one day. Hey, you have the library wi-fi password, right? What movies are showing this weekend?” Hansol says as he starts packing up his bag. They’ve only been in the library for about less than an hour, and Jeonghan clucks his tongue at Hansol’s impatient behavior.

“Dude, you have a test in like, two days. You need a good score for this test to at least pull you up to a D.” Jeonghan stays on his seat, making no move to leave at all.

Hansol slumps back down on his chair with a sigh at Jeonghan’s words. Here he goes again; sometimes he seemed too much like a mom, cared too much about Hansol’s studies.

(“Wait, so Jeonghan offered to help you with Chemistry?”

“Yeah, and in turn he asked me to buy him food whenever we studied together.”

“Jeonghan never offered to help me, even though I was failing Math last year…”

“Same, Jeonghan. Same.”

Soonyoung whacks Hansol on the head again.)

“Listen, Hansol. If you pass this exam, I’ll take you to the movies this weekend, okay? I’ll pay for everything, just as long as you get at least a C or something.” Jeonghan tries to bargain.

“A C? You’re asking too much from me, Jeonghan…” Hansol looks at him dejectedly, looking like a kicked puppy. He meant to say it as a joke, but Jeonghan probably knew that there was some underlying truth to it. Hansol really freaking at Chemistry.

“It’s seriously not that hard. We’re staying here until you get it, even if it’ll take all day.”

“Jeonghan, what the –“

“Tomorrow, too.”

“What the hell? I have a life, too, you know,” Hansol protests but makes no move in walking away. He knew his friend was just trying to help, as much as he kind of hated it.

“Do you want to re-take Chemistry next semester, or…”

“Fine, fine. Whatever.” Hansol takes his books back out of his bag and starts studying again with a newfound energy. I’m doing this for free movies and lunch on the weekend. (Maybe also to make Jeonghan proud of me.)

 

 

 

to: jeonghan

i got a B. LOL wtf right??

 

from: jeonghan

seriously?

congratsssssss

 

to: jeonghan

even i couldn’t believe it AHAHA

 

from: jeonghan

i'm amazed tho, just a few days ago u were so close to dying lollllll

but seriously, good job!! miracles can happen~

ahh, i'm sad. now my wallet is gonna be empty this weekend….

i was honestly expecting u to fail tbh

haha jk

(slight)

 

to: jeonghan

bye

>:((((((((((((((

but for real, thanks so much for the help oTL

i wouldn’t have been able to do it without you <3333333 :* :* :*

 

from: jeonghan

well what can i say? i’m smart B-)

 

to: jeonghan

yea yea whatever

please teach me how to be urs

how to be *us

how to be *u

omg autocorrect

 

from: jeonghan

you ain’t slick, hansol lmao i see what u’re trying to do ;)

but

it took u long enough

why so sudden tho

but

i like you, too, Hansol

 

to: jeonghan

what

 

from: jeonghan

what

 

 

 

 

--

A/N

hello, sorry, wrote this in less than an hour and not proofread keke I’m bored

this story won't be long, btw hehe just to help me procrastinate with stuff this finals week TT TT