HANDS UP

AM 4:44

[ gif credit: http://yepponur.tumblr.com/ ]


3 years later

“So, are we ready to make our presence known?”

Nara looked around the coffee table at her friends. For the first time in a long time, her crew was complete again, and they were ready to get to work. She could feel the adrenaline coursing through her blood already.

Himchan nodded. “We already put out word that a female boss is putting guns on the street. People are thinking it can’t possibly be you, but your name is on everyone’s minds now.”

Daehyun looked down at his phone, scrolling through the messages. “Jaebum and his crew hit up a few clubs last night, and Eunkwang hyung torched a warehouse. They know it’s starting.”

“And everything else is in place for tonight?” Nara asked.

“Perfectly,” Daehyun confirmed. “Ready to go anytime we want. You guys know where you want to join in the action?”

“I’m going with Barom and his crew to smash up a few cars tonight,” Junhong spoke up. “There’s this club that those old Red Eagle guys go to, and they’re always parking their fancy cars right out front.”

“Jongup and I made some friends,” Youngjae said with a grin. “They have a shipment of ice coming in tonight and we know where they’re making their drop. Do you want us to intercept or should we call the cops on them?”

“Call the cops,” Daehyun suggested immediately. “Their low quality is a disgrace to every single drug user in the world. Everything they’re selling deserves to be taken off the market.”

“We need to make a statement,” Nara reminded them. “Intercept it, then call the cops on them. Call up Zico and bring his new crew with you.”

Jongup nodded. “Got it.” He was excited. It’d been a long time since he got to go out and wreak real havoc. His hands were almost shaking from the adrenaline rush. “Can we do the clubs after? I haven’t been to a club since we got out.”

Himchan rolled his eyes. “Fine. You two can go intercept their drugs, and then go shake up some clubs. Call JB and check where his boys are at later. You guys can join them.”

Junhong pouted. “I want to go to the clubs too.”

“We can all go after we’re done,” Himchan suggested. “I don’t think we’ll take too long. We can meet up somewhere and have some drinks.” He cracked a small smile. “Just like old times.”

“Who’s watching Howon tonight?” Jongup asked.

Daehyun raised his hand. “Me. Of course, Howon’s favorite uncle needs to be on babysitting duty on such an important night.” He smiled smugly at his newest title, which had just been bestowed upon him that very morning via an impromptu poll.

Youngjae kicked him. “Dude, if you didn’t get a three-year headstart, I’d be his favorite uncle.”

“But you’re not,” Daehyun sang annoyingly, avoiding another kick that came his way.

“What about you guys?” Youngjae asked, referring to Nara and Himchan. “You’re going to have to show your face somewhere tonight, right?”

Nara nodded, looking across the table at Himchan with a meaningful gaze. “You kids go raise hell. The adults have some serious business to take care of.”

 

Doojoon slammed down the phone, which had been ringing off the hook all night. “This is ing ridiculous!” he snapped, looking around his office. The few teammates that were left behind were either busy answering calls or taking statements from the arrests they’d made that night. He literally didn’t have anymore dispensable officers.

“Sir, I think we’re going to have to borrow manpower from other departments,” his junior, Kikwang, pointed out. “We’re already swamped as it is. We can’t afford to go out on any more calls.”

As if he didn’t already know that. He pinched the bridge of his nose, thinking. What was it about tonight? Why were there so many fights breaking out in so many parts of the city, all in known Red Eagle territories? It was almost as if it had all been planned.

“Keep taking those calls,” Doojoon barked at his teammates. “I’ll be right back.”

He had grabbed his jacket and was on the way out of his office when the person that he had been going to see appeared at the entrance of his department. He dropped his jacket and crossed the room hurriedly.

“Chief Kang,” he said in relief, seeing his trusty superior stride in. “You heard?”

“Hard not to,” Kang said, barely sparing Doojoon a second look. He walked up to the whiteboard at the end of room, where there was a map pinned up, detailing the locations of the attacks that were happening tonight. “Someone’s clearly sending us a message.”

“Why now?” Doojoon asked, bewildered. “We haven’t had violent disturbances on such a scale for years! What’s happening in the underworld?”

Kang glanced disdainfully at Doojoon. “Don’t you have a network of informants? You haven’t pieced it together yet?”

“We know that there are new players,” Doojoon answered. “There seems to be a new gang declaring war on the Red Eagles. But surely they couldn’t have gained the numbers and the power in such a short time? Why would a new gang go after the biggest gang in Seoul right off the bat? There must be rules in the underworld that disapprove of this.”

“Who told you it’s a new gang?” Kang asked. “Don’t just sit in your office cranking out paperwork, Doojoon ah. Go out and have a look at the streets you’re policing. Have you taken a walk down Hongdae recently? The moment I stepped out of the subway station today, a new piece of graffiti caught my attention immediately. They’re brazen. They made sure there was no way we could miss this.”

Kang handed over his phone, and Doojoon squinted to look at the photograph he’d taken. It was a little difficult to see exactly what Chief Kang was referring to, because the wall he’d shot was layered with different colors and fonts. Upon a closer look, however, he spotted exactly what he was supposed to.

A black dragon.

Underneath it was a date. Today’s date.

Doojoon felt a chill run down his spine.

“This… this is…”

“They warned us,” Kang said solemnly. “Tonight, they’re taking back Seoul.”

 

In the middle of Seoul, right in the heart of Red Eagle territory, sat one of the most popular and hence most profitable clubs in the city. In this club, was a large private lounge, booked for the night. Most of its occupants were already inside, seated uncomfortably as they avoided each other’s eyes. Bottles of whisky and cognac and buckets of ice sat on the table, beside filled glasses, but the drinks were untouched, leaving droplets of condensation to collect into small puddles. Beside the stale stench of cigarette smoke, a thick tension lingered in the air. A line of strong young men stood against the wall on one side of the room, hands folded before them and eyes alert—right-hand men, keeping watch on their bosses solemnly. No one said a word.

Every so often, someone would look at his watch, adjust his collar, or make a noise of impatience. Other than that, it was as if time had stood still.

Then, the door opened and at once, everyone turned their attention to the same spot. A crisp, clear voice, carrying a hint of a smile, preceded its owner.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

All at once, bodies tensed and postures straightened as they laid eyes on the young woman for the first time in three years. They’d expected her to be present at this meeting, but even then, it was like seeing a ghost. Up until recently, she was supposed to be dead. They had to take a second look to make sure that she was indeed alive, and was the same person.

She looked the same, somewhat, albeit a little older, and with her hair cut short. But there was something very different about Choi Nara. While she always used to be cower and hide in the background when her father was in power, the young woman who walked through the door felt very different. This Choi Nara exuded confidence and power in her gait, but her aura was dark and dangerous. Her gaze was different—more determined, more deadly.

The old Choi Nara felt like she always had something to prove to the world. The new Choi Nara felt like she already owned the whole damn world.

The skinny man sitting nearest the door stood, opening his arms wide. “Welcome back.”

“Good to be back,” she replied, giving him a hug and patting him on his back. She’d been skeptical about him and his gang, but his loyalty three years ago had proven to her that her father had been right to trust him. “Jiyong oppa.”

He released her and moved to grasp Himchan’s hand. “Good to see you too.”

The two men exchanged their greetings and Nara moved to bow to the rest of the men in the room, greeting each of them respectfully as her father had taught her to. She was the leader now, but traditions and propriety had to be kept. “Sungwoon samchon… Baekho samchon… Ilsung samchon… Jaehoon samchon…”

Beside her, Himchan greeted them as well and out of habit, made a move to join the men standing along the wall. Nara grasped his hand and tugged on it, gesturing for him to join her at the table. Before the Black Dragon had been shut down, her father had appointed him as one of the leaders of the gang. It was unfortunate that he hadn’t been able to carry out any duties in that position, but she fully intended to pick up right where they’d left off. As they sat, she could see the elders exchanging looks, and she cleared .

“Thank you all for coming,” she said, calmly looking around the table at them. “I’m sure my invitation must have come as a surprise.”

No one said anything, but it was clear they agreed.

“I’m sure everyone’s curious, but I’ll keep the story short,” Nara said. “My men and I have laid low for three years, and I’m sure you already know that we’re back in Seoul. We have all returned with new identities.” She raised her left hand. “Also, Himchan and I are married, and we intend to claim the seat that my father left. As his bloodline.”

Baekho frowned at her. “You’ve been away a long time. We’ve all been working separately on our own businesses. There’s no seat for you to come back to.”

Sungwoon nodded. “And why did you call a meeting here? Don’t you know this club belongs to that snake, Kim Tae Song? If he catches wind that we’re all gathered here…”

Nara smirked. “I want him to know we’re here. It’d be even better if he shows up personally.”

Jaehoon looked concerned. “I’m sure you know he’s in charge of the Red Eagle now. He’s more powerful than he ever was. We were allowed to keep some of our old turf because he took pity on us old guys. He’s not one to be messed with, girl.”

“After tonight, he’ll know I’m not one to be messed with either,” Nara countered coolly. “I’ll cut to the chase. During the last three years, I’ve been amassing men and resources. Currently, it looks like there are many small gangs running different businesses in different territories, but they’ve all been working for us. Now that I’m back, I’m gathering them, and I want us to be all united under one name. I want to raise the Black Dragon from the ashes, and I hope to have your support, since you are the elders of the gang.”

“We have over a hundred men now,” Himchan added. “It’s nothing like what we had in our heyday, but it’s a good start. With your help, we can start building the gang up again.”

The elders hesitated. “You kids are capable. You can start a new gang on your own. Why do you need us? We’re old, and we can’t do much.”

Nara’s eyes darkened. “My father dedicated his life to preparing me to take over the Black Dragon. You all worked hard alongside my father to grow it from a street gang to a powerful cross-border organization. This legacy belonged to us, and it was robbed from under our noses. You’re willing to let it go without fighting back?”

“You youngsters can fight without us,” Ilsung argued. “I don’t see why we have to get involved.”

Jiyong, who’d been quietly watching, finally spoke up. His voice was quiet and measured. “The difference between a regular street gang and what we call a mafia is the strength of its culture and traditions, not just its numbers. Sure, having a lot of strong, young fellas is good for fighting, but an established organization has a hierarchy. It needs experienced elders to set the direction, make important decisions and enforce rules. There has to be ranks and levels to aspire to, bosses to learn from. It takes generations to build up something as formidable as the Black Dragon.”

The room was silent as the elders exchanged looks.

“You don’t have to do anything more,” Nara added. “You can keep your men, and all your joints. If you join us, I’ll give you more men. They can work for you and learn under you. You work less, for more profit.”

Sungwoon sighed deeply. “And if we don’t?”

“Either ways, I intend to take back our name,” Nara said calmly. “If you choose not to join us, unfortunately, I would have to take back some of the joints that are in our territory. But don’t worry, I’ll give you other legal businesses in exchange. After all, you fought beside my father for many years, and you didn’t betray him after he died. I’m still grateful to you.”

The elders didn’t respond, but it was clear that they were mulling over the offer.

Jiyong raised his glass. “You know that you will always have my support. I owe my life to your father. If there’s anything my boys and I can do for you, you just have to ask.”

“We’ll need your help with the ports,” Himchan said. He glanced across the table. “You too, Sungwoon samchon. Before he passed, the Chairman handed me his list of contacts for firearms suppliers. Now that I’m back, I will take charge of it myself.”

There was another exchange of glances, and Nara knew that Himchan’s revelation was the game changer. Firearms were highly profitable, and what put the Black Dragon far ahead of any other gang in Seoul, but it was a dangerous business to get into. Even when her father was alive, he’d handled many transactions himself, and few were privy to the entire process. Nara and her closest friends had been involved in the process of transportation and sales, but even she, Choi Jung Hoon’s daughter, had never seen his list of suppliers. Himchan coming into possession of it meant something.

Nara raised her glass, facing the elders confidently. “You don’t have to give me an answer now. Take some time to think it over. I will respect your decision, and I hope you will do the same for me.”

“We will consider your proposition,” Ilsung answered. “But I hope you know that bringing the Black Dragon back means going to war against the Red Eagle again.”

Nara smirked. “Oh, I’m counting on it. And this time, I don’t intend to lose.”

 

“Those old dudes are pretty hard to sway,” Jiyong commented.

The elders had left, and only Jiyong, Himchan and Nara remained in the room.

“They’ll come around,” Himchan said, unbothered. “Once they’ve weighed the benefits and costs, they’ll see that they stand more to gain by sticking with us.” He raised his glass to toast Jiyong. “Thanks for backing us up.”

“Anytime,” Jiyong answered nonchalantly. “I hope my presence helped.”

“You were our strongest ally,” Himchan pointed out. “If they know we still have the biggest gang in Japan on our side, they’ll take us seriously. If we’d come alone, I’m sure they would have completely disregarded us, but they wouldn’t dare to offend you. They don’t have the firepower to take you on.”

Nara finished her drink and set down her glass. “Everyone wants to join the winning team. After tonight, they’ll know exactly what we’re capable of.”

A lazy grin spread across Jiyong’s face. “You’re making me curious about what’s happening across the city tonight.”

“Read the news tomorrow,” Nara chuckled, before standing. She eyed the boy that Jiyong had brought along, a stocky young man with a sullen expression and piercing eyes. “This is the kid you mentioned?”

Jiyong nodded. “He’s the leader. We call them the monster rookies in Japan. Excellent fighters. Take this as my welcome-home present.”

“And the rest?”

“The other six are spread out around the club,” Jiyong said with a devilish grin. “Waiting for your orders, boss.” His eyes lit up as an idea struck him. “We’ll consider it an audition. If you don’t like their work, you can return them.”

Nara stood in front of the boy, staring at him. He stared back fearlessly and stoically at her. “What’s your name?”

“Kim Han Bin.”

Nara smiled as she stuck out her hand. “Let’s see what you can do, Hanbin.”

 

“Not another one,” Officer Yong Jun Hyung muttered as the call came in through the radio. He checked the address and stepped on the accelerator as his partner communicated to the central call center that they were accepting the call. “I think all the holding cells in Seoul are full tonight.”

“Something’s definitely up tonight,” Yongguk replied. “It’s like a gang war is happening.”

Junhyung scoffed. “Yeah, like every gang in Seoul decided to simultaneously attack the Red Eagle in the same night. Isn’t that crazy? What must they have done to piss everybody else off like that?”

Yongguk tried to recall what he knew about the Red Eagle, but he couldn’t come up with a probable explanation. Sure, the Red Eagle were the biggest player in town, but it just didn’t seem likely for the other gangs to band together to take them down for no good reason. Firstly, not all the gangs got along, and secondly, even if they did, deciding how to split the spoils would definitely tear them apart again. It was too much effort and too much risk.

“Something bigger must be happening,” he said. He couldn’t help thinking about what he’d just found out. Could it have something to do with Nara and her friends? Even then, how was it possible for them to convince all the other gangs to work with them in such a short time? He regretted not asking Junhong more questions outside of Nara’s personal life. He wished he had some idea what they were up to.

“We’re here,” Junhyung said, stopping the cruiser by the side of the road. “Club Paramount.”

Yongguk got out of the car, straightening his blue uniform and putting on his hat. The two of them entered the club. It was emptied of patrons by now, and only a few staff members milled around, trying to clear up the mess of broken glass and upended furniture. A few casualties were seated aside, nursing minor injuries.

“Who’s in charge here?” Yongguk asked.

A man in a suit came scurrying up to the two officers. “I’m the manager here.”

“Have you called for an ambulance?” Junhyung asked.

The manager nodded. “Yes, officers.”

“Were you the one who called the police?”

The manager nodded again.

“Can you describe to us what happened here?”

“Chaos just broke out all of a sudden,” the manager said, looking stricken. “One moment, everything was fine, and the next, the fire alarms were going off, and there were people fighting on the dance floor, and people were jumping over the bar and smashing things. It was over in a few minutes. People started panicking and running out, and we couldn’t even catch the culprits.”

Having already been to a few similar calls that night, both Junhyung and Yongguk could already tell what had happened.

“All these were separate incidents?” Junhyung asked, already knowing the answer.

The manager shook his head fervently. “No. Fights break out once in a while, and sometimes drunk patrons set off the fire alarm by mistake. But everything happened all at the same time, as if it were planned. It felt like we were under attack.”

Yongguk held back a sigh. “Did you notice any suspicious persons, or suspicious behaviors before the alleged attack?”

The manager shook his head. “Not in particular, no. Would you like to check our CCTV?”

Junhyung nodded. “That would be helpful.”

The manager led the way, and both of them followed him to the back of the club, before entering a small security office. There were several large screens showing the various locations that were covered by security cameras, and both officers waited as the manager had the footage rewound to about five minutes before the incidents happened.

“This is the bar, and this is the dance floor…”

As the manager pointed out several frames where they could get a good look of the incidents, Yongguk’s eyes drifted towards one particular frame that overlooked a narrow corridor lined with doors, presumably leading to private rooms. The footage was grainy and discolored, but it didn’t stop his attention from being drawn towards one particular individual who was exiting a room. Wearing a long, printed coat, a beret, round glasses and long, dangling earrings, his style was eye-catching. On top of that, his lanky frame and his gait was instantly recognizable. It wasn’t usual for someone to carry themselves as if they were strutting down the runway at Paris Fashion Week at any given time. The man turned to walk down the corridor, and Yongguk shifted his eyes towards another frame, where the man was now facing the camera, so that he could confirm his conjecture.

Even in the low-quality footage, the man was undoubtedly Kwon Ji Yong.

Every detective worth his salt knew that when the known Yakuza boss set foot in his homeland, it always spelt trouble. And to make matters worse, the man who fell into step with him, conversing with him, was also a familiar face. Yongguk could immediately identify the tall man with the striking features as Kim Him Chan. Another two individuals exited the room after them, a man and a woman. Yongguk didn’t even have to switch frames to know who it was.

The fourth man, he couldn’t recognize, but just seeing Nara’s face on the screen caused his heartbeat to speed up and his anxiety levels to spike. Over the few days he’d spent practically stalking his old friends, they’d basically behaved like a normal suburban family and did nothing out of the ordinary. He hadn’t put a lot of thought into why exactly they were back, but now, seeing Nara and Himchan here with Jiyong, he couldn’t help but wonder if this was a business meeting. And based on his prior experience, if they were involving a guy like Kwon Ji Yong, it had to be something big.

Then, a strange thought popping into his head, he turned to the manager, cutting the guy off in the middle of saying something. “What street are we on?”

“Donggyo-ro,” the manager answered.

The street was under the protection of the Red Eagle gang. Even after three years away, there was no way that they wouldn’t know that they were in the middle of enemy territory.

Yongguk felt a chill despite it being in the middle of summer. He knew Nara well (or at least, he used to); if she was here, she was doing it to send a message. She wanted her enemies to know that she was back. He realized with a sinking feeling that all the violence and unrest that had been happening lately definitely had something to do with her return. She clearly wasn’t just going to let go of everything that had happened before, and she was coming back stronger than she’d ever been.

His eyes remained on the screen, focusing on how she clapped the stranger on the shoulder. Then, the first three disappeared from the corridor, leaving only the last guy behind. He loitered alone in the corridor for a while, just looking at his phone. Yongguk watched silently as the seconds and minutes ticked by. Then, looking up and tucking his phone away in his pocket, he raised his elbow and smashed the fire alarm on the wall.