Chapter 2

Dalliance

 

Staring at the night sky, I laid supine. His sonorous voice was still ringing in my ears, forever perpetual. His smiling face trapped in the photo seemed ethereal. We had gone to an amusement park back then, and was holding an iridescent scarf that he had won in a shooting game. Tired, I rubbed my eyes, producing phosphene lights. 

    Feeling dysphoria, I walked haggardly over to my balcony. I clutched the metal railings when I thought of the aubade he had composed for me when we were still in love. Humming the tune and recalling the lyrics, I was once again whisked away to the once ebullient memories of me and him. 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

“The night sky is pretty, right?”, he asked, wrapping a maroon coloured sweater around me. Nodding while shivering, I clasped his cold hand. It felt like the moment was aeonian, and I was at my querencia- with him. 

    “That lucida is our star, okay?”, he pointed to the celestial body he was talking about. I grinned, and gently kissed his cheek. 

    “I think we’re both sabaism.”, I muttered quietly, leaning onto his shoulder. Chuckling quietly, he wrapped his arm around me. 

    “Stop using such aureate words.”, he protested. 

    “You’re not so bad yourself.”, I haughtily replied, earning me a round of laughter from him. We were both silent with aturdidio for a few serene moments. 

    “Should I sing you a song?”, he asked, disturbing my heartsease. I clutched his hand a tad bit tighter, signalling for him to do so. “The title is-“, he gave a little pause. “My Ripsnorter.”. I scoffed a little. 

    “Way to ruin the mood.”, I complained. 

    “What? It’s one of my juvenilia!”, he defended himself. Waving my hand airily for him to go on, I patiently listened. 

 

“We started off at the wrong foot

and a cloudburst followed through.

The moment wasn’t eximious, 

and I thought you were frowzy.

 

But after circumspect,

I finally realized,

you’re amazing.

Not obdurate at all.

 

Our first talk was galimatias,

but it was all worth it.

You helped me get over logophobia,

and I thought I was ensorcelled.

I feel delectation when I see you.

I know I lionize you,

but it’s hard not to.

 

When I decided to confess, 

I felt compunction when I first saw him.

I thought you were in love with him,

so gladly, you weren’t. 

 

My love for you is stalwart, 

and I promise I will never be nudnik.

Before you came,

I used to dwale.

Now all dysphoria is gone, 

and eumoirous is left.”

 

 

He finished with a peck on my cheek. I circled my arms around him, and buried my face into his chest. He was warm, but his breath was cold. 

    “Are you a bit chilly?”, I asked. He looked like he was in a state of etymology. 

    “And here I was, thinking that you would praise me on my song.”, he cachinnated, and I soon followed. 

    “Okay, you did a good job. Happy, mavourneen?”, I gently teased. 

    “Not sufficient!”, he complained. “Only a kiss would do.”. To his surprise, I kissed him- full on the lips. 

 

 

*End of flashback*

 

I was snapped out of my reverie when I heard someone call my name. “Jiyeon!”, the voice desperately called again. I gulped in horror when I heard his baritone voice. Too afraid to turn around, I gripped the railing harder. “Jiyeon!”, he gasped one more time before grasping my shoulder.

    “How did you get here?”, I coldly asked. “Actually, never mind that. Why are you here when all I am is an albatross to you?”. He flinched when he heard my words. 

    “Look, I never meant those words in the beginning!”, he protested, and I could see him grow desperate.

    “Let go of me!”, I shrilly shrieked, my patience finally snapping. “All I have to do these days are fight with you! Why have you come here, you mythomane?”, I cried in toska. There was no reply. “Why have you come here, Jungkook?”, my voice trembled. “Did I not tell you this afternoon to never see me again?”. 

    Jungkook sighed, and rubbed his eyes tiredly. “You never told me directly to go away.”.

    I laughed bitterly when I heard this. The sound was so foreign to my ears, and my throat ached when I did so. “Bon mot.”, I muttered. “But stop trying to be circumbendibus! Tell me. Why are you here?”, every single word was a staccato. 

    “You can’t do it. You just can’t.”, he shook me back and forth, his fingers digging into my shoulder blades. 

    “Do what?”, I challenged. “Commit suicide? I was going to, and I still am. Is that why you came here, you Persona Non Grata?”, I screamed, tired of him trying to cosset me. He flinched at my stentorian voice, and sighed. 

    “Just have a little more longanimity.”, he pleaded, tears streaming down his cheeks again. Furious, I slapped him. So cliché of me. 

    “Me not committing suicide is highly chimerical.”, I said sotto voce. “He showed me metanoia, and the world was pulchritudinous then. And then he left!”, I wailed. Jungkook hung his head, all hopes of eutaxy shattered. 

    “Stop being so corybantic!”, his abeyance soon gone. 

    “How can I not be?”, I seethed, rage blinding me. “I was depressed even before you met me, and we have no control over that. Therefore, it’s your fault you’re causing such a ruckus.”.

    “Mea culpa?”, he questioned angrily, veins starting to show on his forehead. “Te Ipsum Nosce!”

    Smirking, I stood up and faced him. “Jungkook, always In Arduis Fidelis.”, I clicked my tongue. “You do realize that by stopping me against my own will is basically In Flagrante Delicto?”. I wasn’t going to be the one stopping this Latin fight, and he too wasn’t going to back down soon. 

    "Ipso Facto, let me point out that our relationship was built on arguments with us always opposing to each other.”, he refuted back, and I smiled bitterly. 

    “What, like our dispute Prima Facie?”, I asked. It was the most memorable verbal fight I had ever gone through. The scene had happened right after Suga’s confession, but the argument was what made us friends. 

 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

 

 “You’re twitterpated.”, came a scathing voice from my right. 

    “Who are you to judge?”, I challenged, angry that he was trying to meddle in my business. “Our relationship runs on quid pro quo.”, I coldly cut off, realizing that he had an obsidian heart. 

    “He doesn’t deserve you.”, he refuted. Now I knew that he was truly meddlesome. 

    “Why, you truculent, belligerent, pugnacious, disputatious, bellicose person!”, I spluttered, anger rushing through my veins. 

    “They all mean the same thing, and that was pleonasm.”, was his monotonous reply. I scoffed, surprised that he actually knew the definition of the words. 

    “Nice punctilio, but I hope that you stick your nose out of my personal life.”, I turned away from him to stare angrily at the dead leaves on the ground. 

    “Oh, look, it stopped raining.”, he sarcastically said. “Time to go home.”. And with that, he walked in the pouring rain without an umbrella. As the propinquity between us increased, I briefly wondered if I should go home too. Noticing my now rugose hands, I mentally came up with a plan in my head. 

    Using the bouquet as a shield from the rain, I sprinted back home. “Are you duncical?”, I heard Jungkook yell behind me when I ran past him.

    “No, but I’m being an agathist for once!”, I bellowed back, my heels slapping the ground with more force. 

    “You’re gonna realize your resipiscence later on!”, he caught up with me, so we were both running through the heavy rain. 

    “This is just banausic for me.”, I calmly retorted back, not bothering to sugar coat my harsh words. “And stop being so pysmatic.”, I ordered. 

    “Irenic, aren’t you?”, he scoffed, running his hand through his lush hair that was getting waterlogged by the second.

    “Yup, and stop being a pochemuchka.”, was my curt reply, not wanting to speak to him anymore. After spotting a bus station, I plopped down into one of the benches, glad to know that I was finally going home. 

    A woman with a farded face plopped down on the seat next to Jungkook, and started to twirl her hair in an evocative way. He turned to me for help, but I looked away, wanting to bestow revenge on him for prodding into my personal life. This was my manna, and I definitely wasn’t going to let it go. 

    The non-verbal fight between us continued, until I decided to help him out. But before I could say anything, Jungkook blurted out, “You’re not pulchritudinous, but you convince yourself that you are.”. 

    Not knowing what this meant, but feeling offended, the woman huffed. “You should cleanse the mouth of your boyfriend.”, she rudely turned to me, and spoke with jejune words. 

    “So, you knew he was my boyfriend, but still decided to flirt with him?”, I challenged, but still winced at the ‘boyfriend’ part. I wanted to torture Jungkook further, but I couldn’t stand the strong, ading scent of the woman’s perfume.

    “I can’t stand these people who act oh-so-smart!”, she cried, standing up abruptly. 

    “We aren’t smart.”, I quietly retorted. “You’re just doltish.”. Again, not knowing what this meant, and ashamed that I had managed to stultify her, she strutted away, holding a neon pink umbrella. “Happy now?”, I asked Jungkook, who was currently belting out a paean, and made up dance moves to accompany it. He suddenly turned to me, his handsome face darkening. 

    “Why didn’t you do so before?”, he angrily said, eliciting a scoff from me. 

    “Be grateful by the fact that I decided to help you with the minuscule peradventure you had.”, I retorted. And so, the bickering between us two continued until the bus came, and we eventually parted ways. 

 

*End of flashback*

 

 

We were both silent, fondly remembering the happy moment that seemed like a nodus at the time. “How childish of us then.”, I spoke up, hoping that he would reply with the same soft tone.

    “Funny that we thought we could be kiths then.”, his voice laced with bitterness. Seeing that he was going to continue the argument, I decided to say more scathing words to him until he finally left. 

    “I thought that you would be my truepenny then, but I guess not anymore.”, I desperately wished that he wouldn’t find my sentence as a venial, and would just leave. 

    “A foolish mesmerism we had, and it was just a triennium ago.”, he fought back. Tired with our blandishments that were too soft in this rough fight, I spat out, 

    “Can’t you get the hint? I want you to leave with lief! I don’t want you here with euphemistic words!”, I pushed him towards the door. 

    “Mauerbauertraurigkeit!”, he cried, voice laced with spite. Due to my clumsiness, I tripped over my two left feet, and bashed my head on the hard floor. Feeling my eyes fluttering shut, I let myself drift into oblivion. 

    When I woke up again, I found myself lying in my bed. The cold feeling of presentiment crept over me. I saw Jungkook sleeping on the chair next to me, and haughtily scoffed. 

    He was too deep in kalopsia, not seeing the true ugliness of the world. He thought love was sempiternal- it never was. He thought everyone was heuristic, but everyone was ugly in their own way. He didn’t know that there was tacenda, and blurted out things without thinking them through. 

    Even though he was my close friend, and was a pantagruelian figure in my life, he viewed the world as a beautiful place. I had given up being an aesthete a long time ago, and the world in my eyes were now ruins. “I was awake the whole time.”, he muttered, stirring from his sleep.

    I stammered for words, left in an etymology. 

    “L’esprit de l’escalier?”, he asked, smirking at me. 

    “That was cliché.”, I blurted, not wanting him to probe into penetralia. 

    “Look,”, he suddenly turned somber. “I don’t want to fight anymore, and I don’t want you to commit suicide. Is there any way for both of them to work?”, he asked, nervous of my reaction. 

    I laughed bitterly, noting that he was being the opposite of a complaisant person. “I premiate you for being such an optimist.”, I sarcastically patted his back. “Contrary to that, I am a pessimist, and I know either one of them will not come true. So just let it go.”, I snarled, patience wearing thin. 

    “Using Disney quotes to help support you, eh?”, he challenged. “Am I a vilipend to you?”, his voice rose steadily. 

    “He treated me as a vilipend, so-“, I was cut off by him. 

    “It’s only fair that you treat everyone else the same?”, he interrupted, and sighed deeply. “I want to stop fighting with you everytime we see each other. I just want to conciliate you.”, Jungkook pleaded, voice now turning desperate. 

    “I would find it best if you would leave.”, I coldly stated, and turned away from him. I heard a rustle behind me, and the soft noise of the door closing. 

    Nodus Tollens was consuming me, and I had no idea what to do anymore. I clutched the maroon sweater we had shared on the starry night, and breathed in the sillage of his scent. It was comforting, but there was a faint trace of perfume- hers. 

    I was tired of being an eccedentesiast any longer. Perhaps it was wintercearing reaching me, but I’ve had enough. Just a week ago, he was cradling me in his warm arms, whispering sweet nothings into my ear. Alas, Tempus Fugit. 

    It was ironic how he took Ethics as his major- he broke every single one of them: Beneficence, Justice, Nonmaleficence, Veracity, Fidelity, and Autonomy. 

    Screaming from the pain in my heart, I proceeded to destroy everything in my room. He was the one who hurt me the most until Kuebiko, but it was me who had so foolishly fallen in love with him. During all the physical and mental abuse, I had somehow fallen deeper. 

    Perhaps it was the remembrance of adronitis that kept me loving him. Grabbing the sweater again, I breathed in the evanescent smell. Anger boiled in my veins, and I got a scissor to rip it into shreds. 

    After realizing what I had done, the scissors dropped from my hands, and cluttered onto the floor. I was a broken, solivagant person, but he was catawampus. 

    I wondered how he would’ve acted if I was a dulcinea to him. He wouldn’t be as destructive as me. Come to think of it, he wouldn’t be devastated at all. Never would he truly love me, and never would he feel any kind of emotion to me. 

    Right now, he was probably with her, doing cafuné or some sort. He felt mudita on my behalf, but that was all I wished for him. If he was ebullient, so was I. 

    While throwing a chair to the corner, I accidentally bit my tongue. The blood tasted acidulous- just like my relationship with him. Sharp pain at first, the sourness seeming sweet for a brief moment, then revealing its true colors. 

    I wished I had never met him. I wished I had never met Jungkook, who had once shared philology with. I wished that maybe one day, in afterlife, we could all be happy together. 

    Remembering his last words to me, grief and sorrow swept me away, leaving fatigue. Ripping a piece of paper from journal, I scribbled down random things: ‘La douleur exquise’, ‘Fanaa’, ‘Er hat sich in sie verliebet’. 

    Stepping back to look hatefully at my work, I decided to write his last words.

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Our love is too surreptitious. Therefore, it’s not meant to be."

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: This is a bit longer than the previous chapter! The words count for this was 2,650. I enjoy writing this story so much that I write this during breaks at my school @.@ Oh well. This story may branch a bit further than I thought it would be, but hopefully it'll end up okay! >< Thank you for deciding to read this boring A/N of mine, and please stay for the next chapter (hopefully)! You may have noticed that I like using Latin phrases a lot, and it's because I'm obssesed with Greek and Roman myths ^^ Please, do not hesitate to write me feedback (since I don't bite), and please point out mistakes that I have made in my writing! See you in the next chapter (that will probably not be uploaded in a long time)!