Chapter 3

Dalliance

Fletcherizing my cereal, I felt hypnagogic. Never would I have predicted this peripeteia. Scribbling down a grocery list, I briefly pondered if I would meet him again. The store was where we first introduced ourselves.

 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

“NO!”, I gasped in horror when I heard a man shout the exclamation of protest. Whipping around to face the source of sound, I spotted a boy around my age looking dejectedly at the place where the last bag of Doritos had been. 

    Laughing at him, I decided to generously give him the last bag, which I had put into my basket mere seconds ago. He looked at me, grateful, and his expression changed to something brighter. 

    “Aren’t you the girl in 12-D, Big Hit School?”, he asked, and I nodded timidly. Smiling at me, he stuck a hand out. “I’m Min Yoongi, but everyone calls me Suga. I’m in the same class as you for additional info”.

    “I-I’m just Ji-Jiyeon.”, I stammered while shaking his hand. 

    “Xenophobia?”, he questioned, on a lollipop. I shook my head no. His eyes turned into little cresents, and I grinned back. 

    “Sorry for being such a gormless person.”, I apologized, and turned to walk away. 

    “A tumescent person, aren’t you?”, he joked, walking alongside me as I browsed. Cachinnating, I picked a fubsy potato. He chose a few more potatoes, and started to juggle them.

    Transfixed, I stared at him in shock. “Is that your quiddity?”, I questioned. 

    “No idea what that means, but I guess it is.” Suga shrugged, and continued to skylark around me. We both stopped at the counter, and I pulled out my wallet to pay for my groceries. Before I could do so, he had already paid for mine. When I opened my mouth to protest, he waved his hand airily. 

    “As repayment for the Doritos!”, he brightly exclaimed. Bowing to him in gratefulness, I smiled at him, and my heels to walk away. Feeling a gentle tap on my shoulder, I spun around to face Suga once more.

    “Here-here’s my phone number.”, he stuttered, handing me a tiny strip of paper. I was shocked, since I hadn’t heard him stumble over his words during my short talk with him. 

    I walked down the street idly, woolgathering about what the future could possibly hold. 

 

*End of flashback*

 

 

Laughing bitterly about past me being clueless about the megillah unraveling in front of me, I picked up a bildungsroman book. Sighing heavily when the protagonist was arrears for his job interview, I shut the novel. 

    I trudged over to get a glass of water that reflected resol, and greedily gulped the liquid down. Staggering back to my bed after passing a bookshelf full of florilegiums, I pondered briefly if I should go to work. 

    He must’ve resigned by now, and I was too lazy to call may boss anyways. My phone let out a sudden ping, and I checked that it was a message from Jungkook. I smirked. How persistent. It read, ‘Joie de vivre.’. 

    How I wished again that he hadn’t taken Literature. ‘Amor vincit Omnia.’, I sent back, and decided to freshen up. Stepping into the shower, I let the cool water run over me.

    My heart felt like it was a sockdolager, and my confidence was only nourished at night, where no one could see me- selenotropism. All the velleities were in vain, and I knew so. Maybe my love for him was nonpareil, and I was overslaughed. He was never mine, but I was his- and I still somewhat was.

    When I came out of the bathroom, I noticed that I had a message from Jungkook. ‘Et ali?’, it read. ‘Disiecta membra.’, I sent back. '? Clishmaclaver.’, was the lightning fast response from him. 

    He was confused, and I knew that. To baffle him even further, I sent him, 'Me librocubicularist.’, and chuckled when I saw his reply. 'You messed up with your grammar and I thought we were talking in Latin!’. He seemed aggravated. 

    'You broke it first, so I followed too. Besides, it’s too matutinal.’, I fought with logic. Even after a few minutes of waiting, there was no reply, and I knew he had given up. This time, our fight was Pierian, and I felt proud. 

    I jolted up when my phone pinged. Grabbing it, Jungkook had sent, ‘Tickety-boo. Btw, you’re coming to the cinema with me after work’, and I giggled softly. A mugwump, we both were. Fighting one moment, and laughing together the next. Firmly making the decision to go to work, I rushed to get in time. 

    Extreme jimjams were taking over me, but I knew I had to get through the feeling. When I strutted into the building as confidently as I always had, I saw him. My heart froze in terror, and my body copied suit. Look like my wish earlier this morning did not come true. 

    She was clinging onto him, complaisant as always. My jealousy just inspissated, and I hung my head in defeat. “I thought you dating her was just a furphy!”, she obnoxiously exclaimed. 

    Wincing when they spotted me standing there awkwardly like a turd, I turned away. Walking to my cubicle in the office and dropping off my bag and coat, I went to report to the boss. I heard someone far behind me shout my name. 

    I stiffened up, and walked to the boss’s office faster. I had nearly made it when I felt a still cold hand clasp my shoulder. I shrugged it off, and quietly knocked on the door of the office. I entered, bowing. The boss grinned when he saw me.

    “Jiyeon!”, he exclaimed gratefully. "Look who decided to show up today!”, he ushered me to sit. 

    “Shut up, Namjoon.”, I tiredly said. Yes, my boss was my friend- we went to college together, and we were in the same major (Literature, alongside Jungkook). 

    “Whoo, and her temper has worsened!”, he offered me tea. I took it, thinking that the hot liquid may go down with the bile building up in my throat. 

    “Stop it, you panjandrum.”, I drank the tea in one gulp. 

    “What are you doing, standing there awkwardly?”, I heard Namjoon ask. I first thought he was talking to me, so I snapped my head up in confusion when I heard someone plop into the seat next to me. 

    My eyes bugged out when I saw who it was. I shot straight up, and forced a strained grin. “I’ll be going now, Namjoon.”, I coldly stated, and spun on my heel. 

    “Jiyeon?”, I heard him tentatively ask. 

    “Yes, boss?”, I turned to him with an impatient smile. 

    “I need you to sort out these files, my amanuensis.”, he handed a stack of paper to me. I knew he was apologetic for calling me back, but we both knew I had to do work. “I’ll visit you after work.", he surprisingly said. 

    “No thank you, I’m going to watch a movie after.”, I refused Namjoon’s offer. I saw Suga look at me quizzically, and I knew he had the same question as Namjoon.

    “Can’t I go with you then?”, my boss asked. Laughing softly, I shook my head. His face fell, and I blurted out,

    “I have company.”. This seemed to reassure him, but Suga looked disgruntled. 

    “Jungkook?”, my boss asked. I nodded, and waved at him as I stepped out of the door. When I  rushed back to my cubicle, I felt like a gaucherie. 

    Looking at the amount of files I had to organise, I decided to start forthwith. Reading through each contract offer, I threw out the ones that had mistakes in them. After around three hours of hard work, I sighed deeply, and blinked. I just wished that work would be over soon. Shaking my head in despair, I went back to reading the papers. 

    I glanced up in surprise when the words in front of me were replaced by a trophic sandwich. It was Suga, rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment. I jolted straight up, and pushed the hand offering the sandwich away from me. 

    He looked hurt, but I could care less. “You should’ve obviated what I would do when you offer it to me.”, I coldly stated, and picked up the papers again. 

    Looking frustrated, he shoved the paper away. Something eldritch in me twitched when he did so. “I told you to stay away from him!”, he angrily shouted, earning looks from cunctators in the office. 

    “A few things,”, I smirked, standing up to match his height. “Firstly, Jungkook is my friend, and you can’t break us up because of what happened between us two. Secondly, we’re strangers now that had some sort of mutual feeling towards each other. Thirdly, I’m tired that you don’t have the courage to speak with me when she’s around.”, I took a deep breath, mustering up my confidence. 

    “Lastly, I would like to speak no more of this.”, and I sat back down, proceeding to work diligently. He heaved a big sigh, and grabbed my hands as a last resort of desperation. 

    “We used to love each other once. What happened?”, he looked at my angry eyes with his sad chatoyant ones. 

    I scoffed, not believing him. “You’re acting as if I’m the one who dumped you.”, and I quaffly took a sip from my oenomel coffee. He was left at an etymology, and I took the chance to speak. “So please stay away from me, you turpitude.”. With that, I grabbed my coat and bag, and walked to Namjoon’s office, deciding I’ve had enough. 

    “I know it’s rude of me to take advantage of you because you’re my friend and boss, but I need to leave work 10 minutes earlier than usual, which is right now.”, I shouted when I entered the room. He blinked at me in surprise, and straightened up. 

    “No presenteesim?”, he jokingly asked. His happy face dropped when he saw my glowering one. I’ve heard from Jungkook about your jeremiads and gonzos.”, he looked at me, apprehensiveness shining in his eyes. I hung my head, knowing what was going to come next. 

    “Ad hominem.”, we said simultaneously. He sighed, and came towards me. To my surprise, he hugged me in his warm embrace. 

    “Cura te ipsum with Jungkook.”, he urged, tears streaming from his eyes. I wiped the salty liquid with my thumb, and shook my head.

    “He’s just a platonic friend to me.”, I softly said, my courage becoming desiccated. Something inside me churned when I said the word ‘friend’, butI let it go without thinking twice. “And how come you’re a cognoscenti at this?”, I teased, trying to lighten up the sullen mood. 

    “Watashi ga nanika dekiru koto ga atara ii no ni.”, Namjoon blurted in Japanese. I cocked my head to the side, wondering why he suddenly said that phrase in a different language. 

    “Well, Amor Vincit Omnia.”, I replied while hugging him even tighter. He shook his head, and fiddled with his fingers. 

    “Just go.”, he whispered, and turned away from me. As I turned to leave, he muttered something that made me freeze in shock. “Bonis nocet quisquis malis perpercit.”. I looked at him quizzically, occhiolism creeping up my body. “I nearly fired him, but I didn’t, knowing you would disapprove. Just be careful, Jiyeon.”. The words made me smile at him, touched by his undying loyalty to me. 

    “Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.”, I tried not to ossify myself. He beamed at me, believing me wholly. 

    “I do hope so.”, Namjoon smiled. With that, I left the office. Suga had been waiting outside, his clothes now fuliginous. He stood up, brushing dust off his clothes when I came out. 

    “Before you say anything,”, he blurted out before I could even open my mouth. “I want to say something-“.

    “I don’t have anything more to do with you, I’m afraid. I’ve turned into a namely-pamby person after you left with her, and I have no wish to hear of your completely off sagacity. Goodbye, Suga.”, I snapped. I had said something without savoir-faire, but I’ve had enough. 

    “Jiyeon,”, the way he called my name made freeze. “Amor meus amplior quam verba est.”, he slowly circled his arms around my waist. 

    The words shocked me, but they somehow palliated my chaotic mind, and memories consumed me again. How he could use brevity so freely still baffled me. 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

“Did you know starfishes have no brains?”, I asked Suga, who was reading book alongside me. 

    “Nope.”, he curtly replied, but put the book down, and hugged me tight. 

    “So they’re a brainless asterism!”, I exclaimed, earning me a weird look from him accompanied by a little jerk away from me. 

    “So that’s your sense of humour?”, he disbelievingly asked. 

    “Guess your gag code is intransigent from mine.”, I clicked my tongue. Suga just chuckled, and took my book from me, and set it aside. 

    “HUG!”, he suddenly yelled and lunged at me. Shrieking in delight, I wrapped my arms around him before we both fell on the couch. 

    As we both lay there, I traced my fingertips on his face. Rubatosis engulfed me, but it was calming. “Give me a cognomen.”, he begged, pressing his lips against mine. I hummed, then burst out in laughter when realising something. 

    “We aren’t in Ancient Rome!”, I cachinnated, him soon copying suit. 

    “The idea was sophrosyne!”, he protested. 

    “Why are you talking in Greek when we were talking about Ancient Rome?”, I questioned, and another round of laughter began. 

    “Just please?”, he batted his eyelashes. I pondered for a second before saying,

    “Pedica bo ego vos.”, and I nuzzled his neck with my nose. 

    “What does that mean?”, he curiously asked. 

    “You are the image of my heart.”, I laughed lightly. “I want you to know that I love you whenever I call your name.”. His eyes rounded when he heard this. 

    “You-you l-love m-m-me-me?”, he was bewildered. I nodded shyly, and my hands turned into tiny fists as I griped onto his shirt. “I love you too.”, he whispered, his eyes filling with so much emotion. 

    I gingerly smiled, and snuggled against him. “I have a nickname for you.”, he breathily said. 

    “What is it?”, I sleepily asked, feeling myself drifting off to sleep. 

    “Amor meus amplior quam verba est.”, he hugged me even closer. That day, I went to sleep with happy dreams. 

 

*End of flashback*

 

 

 

I was snapped out of my happy reverie when Suga placed his head on my shoulder. My heartbeat sped up, and adrenaline rushed through my veins. 

    “Stop cicatrizing yourself.”, he whispered, his breath hitting my ear. I knew that Namjoon (it was most definitely not Jungkook, since the two despised each other) had talked to him. 

    “Homines quod volunt credunt.”, I airily replied, and stepped away from him. “I’ve always had thantophobia, and guess what? You made my worst nightmare come true.”, I harshly laughed, and turned to look at him. 

    It pained my heart when I did so. “I’m going to uitwaaien, so don’t come looking for me.”. 

    “My desiderata.”, he mumbled forlornly, and I stopped abruptly. 

    “My delectation.”, I replied, deciding to my orphic. I marched away from him, and entered the elevator. I slammed the ‘close’ button before he could enter. When the doors finally did close, I crouched down, feeling dysphoria. 

    Burying my face into my arms, I felt someone shift awkwardly behind me. I jumped, not having realised that there was another passenger in the commodious elevator. “Are you okay?”, came a velvety voice from my right. I nodded, and smiled at the inconnou gratefully. 

    “Thank you for asking, Mr…”, I trailed off. 

    “Oh, I’m Hoseok! Jung Hoseok.”, he introduced himself, and I stood back up. 

    “I’m Jiyeon.”, I shook his outstretched hand. 

    “Breakup?”, he carefully asked. I nodded, feeling ruperstrine. He bitterly smiled, and continued. “I had a girl too. She was my moiety, she was everything I had. Then one day…”, his aposiopesis was evident, eyes clouding with sorrow. “She left me for another man.”, he finished, clenching his chest in pain. 

    I observed him a bit closer. He looked like a jocular person, but I released that he had deep pain in his charcoal eyes. He moved about in a rollick way, but that may also be part of his halcyon façade. 

    “Same case happened with me.”, I sighed, feeling drained. Suga and I were each other’s internecine, and my love for him was nugatory. We both bowed our heads, and I felt sonder. At least there I knew I wasn’t alone on this case. 

    “Both our hearts went kerflooey.”, Hoseok joked, and I nodded while smiling. 

    “It was nice meeting you!”, I yelled when I got off the elevator. 

    “You too!”, he yelled back, soon conflating with the crowd. As I waited for Jungkook in the lobby, I tried to reify myself. However, I was hebetude again when I thought of the work load that I had to finish. 

    “Jungkook!”, I yelled when I spotted him, peripatetic. He turned to me, eyes lighting up. We exchanged deep looks, and I knew then that we have forgiven each other. I smiled at him, and took his hand in mine. 

    “Which movie did you choose?”, I carefully asked, curios. 

    “Doctor Strange!”, he excitedly exclaimed, dragging me off to his car. As I was obediently following him, I thought I saw Suga in the crowd. Feeling silakbo burst within me, I glanced one more time, but he was gone.

    Fastening my seatbelt, I reintegrated my chaotic mind, and stared outside the window, sullen. “What’s wrong?”, Jungkook asked with probity. I snapped out of my reverie, and stared at him. “Did you meet Suga?”, he guessed, making a sharp left turn. I nodded, and wished that time went back to a fortnight before. 

    I recounted Jungkook what happened, after him pestering me for a while, and he sighed. “Well, then he’s cheating on the both of you.”, he correctly stated, and I wiped my pulverulent hands on my jeans nervously. 

    “I guess he is.”, I muttered, suddenly feeling that Suga was ignoble. 

    “Don’t stress your small encephalon over it.”, Jungkook teased, and I knew it had begun. 

    “Verbal fight!”, we both screamed, and laughed together. 

    “Jungkook, you are a munificence person.”, I started, earning me blush from him. 

    “Why thank you, you eudemonic friend.”, he ironically stated. 

    “Ad nauseam.”, I groaned, flopping back into my seat. 

    “Ad victoriam!”, he cried, happily banging his hand on the steering wheel. 

    “Auribus teneo.”.

    “Aut scuto aut in scuto!”.

    “Barba non facit philosophum.”.

    “I don’t have a beard!”, he shouted in alarm, frantically rubbing his chin. Seeing that I was going to say that I had won, he quickly blurted out, “Bono malum superate!”.

    "Honi soir qui mal y pense!”, I shouted, and we both cachinnated, wondering how the argument had led to this. However, neither of us was willing to back down. 

    “Contemptus mundi!”, Jungkook shot back. 

    “Flectere si nequeo superos, acheronta movebo!”

    “I didn’t know you were evil, and hoc eat bellum!”.

    "Invictus maneo!”.

    “Memento mori!”.

    “Vivere militare est!”.

    “I give up, and you’re acting like me!”, I surrendered. 

    “Ha, a suicidal milquetoast?”, Jungkook challenged, but I only nudged him playfully. We pulled into the cinema, and I clapped my hands with ebulliency. 

    “Doctor Strange! DC!”, I squealed, and dragged Jungkook to the raucous ticketing booth. “I feel like I’m renascent!”, I burbled while we were standing in line. Jungkook merely patted my head. 

    His forced happy face made me realise he was diachronic about my life. I didn’t press him any further, and only muttered, 

    “Sciamachy, please.”. To this, Jungkook snickered darkly. 

    “You’re the last person to say that.”, he fugaciously mumbled. I only grasped his hand. 

    “Please be an eternitarian.”, I said with appetency. 

    “Oh, you commuovere me.”, he sarcastically clapped. I felt nemesism for not being able to console him, but tightly zipped my mouth shut. I would let him have the recumbentibus this time.

    As the waiting time lengthened due to a person fighting with one of the workers, I felt ustualting impatience inside me. I sighed, and decided it was the perfect time to interrogate Jungkook. 

    “Why are you so mad these days?”, I questioned, and he dully turned to me. 

    “What are you, an indagatrix?”, he scoffed, and I saw how easily he dodged my question. 

    “No, I’m a stickybeak. Now answer my question!”, I demanded, wanting him to feel orenda. 

    He hesitated at first, but started to slowly speak. “I feel like these days, everything that I’ve worked for, everything I love is falling apart.”. 

    My eyes widened in sorrow when I realized what he was hinting at. “Jungkook…”, I whispered, looking at his broken face. I caressed his cheek softly, and wanted him to feel metanoia. 

    The line in front of us surged forward before he could say anything, and we ended up buying our tickets in reticence. 

    Our happy moods were crushed, and we ended up watching the movie sullenly. “Is being depressed your aeipathy?”, I snapped at him, but to my pleasant surprise, he chuckled. 

    “It should be the other way around.”, Jungkook shot back. 

    “Whatever,”, I snorted. “All I feel is clinomania these days.”. 

    He raised an eyebrow. “And saudade?”.

    “And saudade.”, I agreed. “Are you taking alethiology?”, I teased playfully. His sarcastic thinking face was strangely appealing. 

    “Maybe I am.”, he furtively winked. 

    “Shut up and drive.”. 

    “Ooh, Jiyeon is induratizing herself!”, he bellowed, and received a smack on the back of his head. 

    “Backpfeifengesicht.”, I angrily muttered. He suddenly pressed on the accelerator, and my head bumped into the head rest. “Oi!”.

    He slammed the brakes, and I lunged forward this time. “Jeon Jungkook!”, I shrieked, ready to pull all of his hair out. 

    “You said to stop, you mythomane!”.

    “I only said ‘Oi’!”.

    “That basically translates to stop!”.

    “It was a sign of irritation, not a signal to stop!”.

    “Oh, yeah? Well, most times, it’s defined as, ‘Cut it out’!”. 

    “Stop trying to outsmart me!”.

    “Why would I, when I’m already smarter than you?”.

    “I got better grades than you on most assessments!”.

    “What about the time when you got a 33% on your math test?”.

    Seeing that this catfight was going nowhere, I heaved a huge sigh. “Let’s try to maintain ataraxia until I get out of the car.”, I compromised. 

    “Fine.”, he grunted, and parked swiftly. Once I hopped out of the car after thanking him, I rode the elevator to my flat. 

    When I stepped out, I noticed a man sitting on the foot of the door, his back hunched. All savoir-faire left me, and my heartsease was shattered. 

    “Jiyeon.”, he croaked, and smiled at me. 

    “How long have you been sitting there?”, I asked, not wanting to hear anymore of his phenakism. 

    “Ever since you left work.”, he whispered, and stood up to face me. “I will break up with her.”, he suddenly grasped my shoulders, and stared deep into my eyes. The pain reflected in his orbs were almost equipoise to mine. “I have realised that she isn’t the one for me, but you are.”.

    My heart jumped at his words, but I dismissed it, and reminded myself that this was his duende. “It won’t change anything.”, my words gelid. 

    “I was mistaken! I only love you!”, tears streamed down his face. 

    “It’s too late for us to do anything more in this situation.”, I turned away from him, and unlocked my door. His next words made me freeze, and my blood run cold. 

    “Be a livsnjutare.”, he begged, and hugged me from behind. My heart accelerated, but I shrugged him off. 

    “Being a logastellus, eh?”, I smirked, and turned to slowly face him. 

    “You’re really an Aries. You’re merciless to anyone who breaks your trust.”, Suga looked at me forlornly. 

    “And you get tired of things so easily.”, I snapped back, but the look in his eyes was slowly killing me on the inside. 

    “Basorexia.”, he whispered unexpectedly, and leaned towards me, with his eyes fluttering shut. Feeling panic rise up in me, I pushed him away. He turned away from me, evident hurt flashing in his brown orbs. 

    “Just stay away from me.”, I choked, and fled to the safety of my house, flinging the door shut. I collapsed against the door, and started to sob. I was tired of being and eccedentesiast, and an anhedonia. 

    His banging on the door and him calling my name made me certain of one thing- I was definitely going to end this. I stumbled to my bed, and went to sleep crying that night.

 

 

 

 

_______________________________________________

 

“This is my kismet, and it cannot be perendinated.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: This chapter was the longest of them all! ^^ I'm planning to end this on chapter 4, but I will add extra chapters when appropriate! I have somewhat figured out a story plot (yes, I was writing this whole time without any idea on how I should end this), and this WILL go under major editing! Chapter 4 may not come out for a long time (but it's the winter break, so I can hopefully squeeze it in quicker ><), but please hang around 'till then!