Chapter 1

Dalliance

 

Walking into the the demure bookstore in a bucolic setting, memories came crashing down on me. The quiet tintinnabulation of the bells calmed me down a bit, but my mind was still unsettled. Breathing in the smell of petrichor, I traced my finger along the palimpsests displayed. Malarkey conversations were thrown here and there, with light laughter often accompanying it. The owner walked with lilt, something I could never do. When I saw her, my heart stabbed with ineffable pain. She had everything I didn’t, and was a harbinger of an imbroglio. Her felicity enraptured onlookers, her fugacious footsteps were delicate, and her eloquence convinced many others. 

    After having noticed my conspicuous stare, she turned to the practically translucent me, discombobulated. Realizing that she did not recollect anything about me, I turned to stare at children gambling about in the snow. They skipped with such ebulliency that I had erstwhile done. Feeling a presence in front of me, I groggily looked up to see a very lissome and elysian woman. “Is there anything wrong?”, she asked with a dulcet voice. Even though I wanted to scream at her because she was the one to destroy my relationship, I stiffly shook my head.

    “No,”, I managed to spit out. “Everything's fine and dandy.”. Looking up to see judging chatoyant eyes, I sighed, suddenly lethargic. Making my mind to destroy her halcyon façade, I shoved a picture of him in her petite face. She gasped with utter disbelief, and turned to me in stupor. 

    “Why do you have a picture of him?”, she screeched, and all heads abruptly turned to us, shocked that such a pleasant girl was inure.

    “To forget all retrospections about him.”, I bitterly smirked, watching her effervescent smile crumble. Horror and shock dawned over her eyes, and I didn’t want to hear her untowardly words anymore. 

    “You are that girl, weren’t you?”, she hesitantly asked, eyes flickering everywhere except for me to escape the current bedlam. I nodded, and susurrous murmurs rose around us. For a moment, her eyes seemed to reflect sorrow, but when her head snapped up to look at me, they were burning. “I will not leave him, since he is the only one I love.”, she declared boldly, the dissembling eyes piercing right through me like jagged swords. 

    “I know,”, I croakily whispered. “He will be happy then, and that’s all I could wish for.”, I turned to leave the cramped bookstore, but I whirled back around to face her one last time. “Him breaking up with me was a ‘fait accompli’ from the beginning, and I wouldn’t want to destroy your efflorescent relationship.”, I coldly said with a fake smile, and left the comely store that I would never return to again. 

    After exiting the wretched place, I nearly tripped over something lumpy. It was a doll I had sewn for his birthday, and he must’ve thrown it here after the end of our relationship. While looking at the now saggy and sullen doll thrown mercilessly on the ground, my heart contracted. My eyes briefly fluttered shut, and my memories came whooshing towards me like a strong current, leaving me drenched with saudade. 

 

 

 

*Flashback*

 

“Dang it!”, I cursed when I felt the first cold drops of rain after running out of the suffocatingly dark building of the school. I considered going back into the achromatic building, but decided against it. The security guards were closing the gates anyways.

    Muttering angry curses under my breath, I sprinted to the nearest shelter I could find. It took me a long time to find one, but when I did, it was a sequestered bookstore. Shivering underneath the roof, I desperately wished I had an umbrella. 

    While waiting for the rain to cease, I brooded about my life. Everything seemed to conflate at this point, and I couldn’t tell from right and wrong. I didn’t want to live in this world that only brought lassitude. 

    Tracing the smooth tiles on the floor with my right foot, I heard someone heave a deep sigh next to me. Jerking away from the source of the sudden sound, I stared at the person in shock. 

    It was a young man, probably around my age. He had light brown hair, cherry pink lips, and a curious look in his eyes. He was pleasing to the eye. “Did you forget your umbrella?”, he questioned. His voice was mellifluous and velvety. 

    After I nodded quickly, awkward silence quickly fell over us. An ephemeral breeze shivered past me, and I shuddered from the sudden cold. Spotting a wooden bench on the porch of the minuscule bookstore, I tentatively sat down on it. 

    Once again, I started to pensively think about my life. ‘I have good grades, but they may drop. I have ostentatious friends that no longer want anything more to do with me. My family loves me, but we aren’t affluent. How can I-‘, my pessimistic thoughts were interrupted when the man next me cleared his throat. 

    I snapped my head to him, eyes wide with surprise. “The name’s Jungkook.”, he introduced himself, sticking a hand out to me. Grabbing it, I quietly muttered,

    “Jiyeon.”, and turned to look at the rivulets of rainwater trickle down the pipes. The rain only intensified, leaving me to dejectedly bury my head further in my arms. I heard someone shout my name from a far distance, and saw a black blob of hair run maniacally towards me. 

    It was Suga, my partner for the upcoming music festival. He held a bouquet of red roses, and I swallowed the bile building up in my throat. His steady gait faltered when he saw Jungkook sitting awkwardly next to me. 

    Not noticing the tension surrounding the two of us, Jungkook cleared his throat. “I’ll leave for a few seconds.”. Suga turned to me with a sad look in his doe-like eyes. 

    “I apologise for bothering your sweet moment.”, he bitterly spat out, and turned away. 

    “Wait!”, I cried, picking up the flowers that was thrown to the ground. Breathing in the redolent scent of attar, I timidly handed the plethora of roses back to him. He sadly glanced at me, and his heels with a malicious glint in his eyes. 

    Sighing in exasperation, I latched my hand on his cold wrist. “You didn’t give me a chance to explain.”, I reasoned, and a small spark of hope lighted up in his eyes. “I like you back, and I sincerely hope you came here to confess to me.”, I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling incalescent, and wished I had my talisman with me. 

    “I’m glad that this is not unrequited love.”, Suga grinned, his eyes turning into crescents. At this point, I knew I was in limerence with him. 

    “Do you know what red roses stand for?”, I cocked my head, a zephyr breeze wrapping around us both. The gentle sound of psithurism surrounded us, and it felt like I was a nefelibata for once. He shook his head gently. 

    Smiling in reply, I let eunoia consume me. He was the scintillating light in my life, and I hoped that it would stay that way. “Red stands for romance.”, I reached for his hand. 

    I heard someone clear their throat loudly behind us, and Suga and I both turned to face Jungkook. “I have go now, do you want me to take you home?”, he asked, glaring warily at Jungkook.

    “That’s fine, I’ll just wait here.”, I refused. I knew his home was a long way away. He waved farewell at me, and this time, I settled into the bench with a sense of ataraxia. 

    I was just glad that our liking towards each other was a redamancy. Tracing the chrysochlorous leaves, I was ebullient that my dern feelings were out in the open. 

 

*End of flashback*

 

 

 

My eyes slowly opened again to face the vellichorous bookstore. Ellipsism overtook me, and the feeling of depression surged up again. Never would he notice me again, and never would I see him again. Trudging back to my shabby house and passing the corrugated buildings covered with snow, I pondered about my life once again. 

    While weaving through the small streets and gray buildings, I kicked a rock in front of me as I walked. The process was repetitive until a foot stopped the rolling rock. Afraid to see who it was, I bowed my head, and tried to pass the person by. 

    A hand clasped my shoulder, and I stiffened up. “I-i know taekwondo!”, I defended, flinging the hand away. 

    “I know.”, came a voice I was all too familiar with. Glancing up to see Jungkook staring irritably down at me, I gulped. I had planned the jouska out in my head way too many times, but now that the scene was unfolding in front of me, I stumbled over my own words. 

    “Jungkook?”, I questioned, and he rolled his eyes. 

    “No, I’m the tooth fairy.”, he scathingly said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. I chuckled, noting that he still managed to maintain the dry humour of his. 

    “What do you want?”, I demanded his exigency. He sighed, obviously displeased with my question. 

    “You know the reason why I want to speak to you.”, he shoved his hands into the pockets of his hoodie. I hung my head when I heard his words, and prepared to walk away again. An arm shot out in front of my path, and I was whirled around to face smouldering eyes. “Running away from it won’t help.”, he fumed. 

    “I know, but can we please avoid the subject of her?”, I pleaded. “I’m sick and tired of everything.”. With now somber eyes, he peered at my darkening face. 

    “He broke your heart after giving you hope of living happily.”, Jungkook guessed. He must’ve caught a whiff as to why Suga and I broke up. I looked at him with tears filling my eyes. When I tried to turn away again, he grabbed my shoulders, and shook me back and forth. “Stop trying to be emollient!”, he yelled, and hot tears were streaming down his porcelain cheeks. 

    There was only one choice for me now- to hurt him. “I know you love me, but I can’t return the feelings!”, I screamed back. It was better this way, so parting with him would be easier. Jungkook’s eyes grew wide with shock. I fidgeted, feeling malaise all of a sudden.

    “Is that so?”, he voice turned a tone colder than it already was. Rivulets of tears streamed down his cheeks even faster, his eyes boring into mine, making me feel opia. “Then I guess this is goodbye.”, his voice dripped with malice. I flinched from the coldness of his tone, and looked away. 

    “Yes,”, my voice was snappier than his. “Goodbye.”. And with that, I turned away from him- for the last time. My footsteps echoed around the street that gave off the vibe of kenopsia. 

    “Jiyeon!”, I heard Jungkook behind me. Pausing for a second, I listened attentively to his next words. “Diu Vivas.”, he plainly stated, and I froze in horror. So he knew what I was going to do next. “Don’t you dare, Jiyeon. Don’t you dare.”, his hand suddenly latched onto my wrist, and tugged me backwards. 

    “Let me go.”, I pleaded sotto voce, and turned to face him. 

    “Non sequitur.”, he smirked, but tears were still welling in his eyes. I sometimes really wished that he hadn’t taken Literature as his major with me. As the piercing brown orbs stared into me, my mind was set.

    “Post Mortem, maybe we can meet again.”, I wiped his tears, and sighed. “Such a peccable person you are.”, I commented, and realized that this was a pericliated situation. 

    “That was no doubt, a betise.”, he argued back, but I knew that this was my kismet. 

    “Do I care? No. For the last time, this is goodbye, Jungkook.”, my voice gelid, and yanked my hand out of his iron clasp. 

    “Epicaricacy.”, he spat out.

    “I see you have done a lot of lexpionage.”, I replied with a placid tone. With that, like a coward, I absconded off to my house. 

 

 

 

 

________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

“Maybe one day, we can forget about all the sadness, and feel retrouvailles when meeting again.”

    

 

 

 

A/N: Hi, everyone! This is your author, doveheart! I apologize for the incredibly short chapter. I promise to try and write more in the future! Updates will be slow, because of school, homework, assessments and everything @.@ Please bear with me if the updates do not come for a year or so, and if the hiatus takes longer than expected! Thank you for deciding to read the first chapter of this short fanfic, and please do not hesitate to comment ^^ 

 

 

(Can someone please make me a poster? T_T)