Responsibilities

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junpyo could not believe his ears. He knew many would call him pathetic for clinging onto a girl for more than eleven months, but this was not just any girl – it was Jandi.

"Say it again," he demanded.

"I have no problem if you marry another girl," said Jandi steadily. "And you will, right? The company is in trouble. Just do it, Junpyo. Face your responsibilities, and don't break it for me – I have moved on."

Junpyo kept shaking his head – she was lying, she was lying... Yet deep down he knew she was not.

It's time to let go, Junpyo. It's time to let go of the past...

Jandi bit her lip and whispered, "I'm so sorry..."

Then she got into her car and he watched her drive away; an overwhelming sense of abandonment washing over him.

Take care of the company.

Get married to save the company.

Live your life with someone you don't love for the company.

Junpyo didn't want that... why did he have to sacrifice his happiness for the company? For money, in fact? But the truth was, the company was the only thing he lived for now...

 

* * * *

Woobin anxiously smoothed the invisible wrinkles of his shirt. Even though this was the fifth time he would be meeting her, he still pointlessly worried. He both dreaded and looked forward to the Saturdays they spent together. It had been her idea, in fact, to at least spend one day of the week together in order to get more familiar with each other.

She already seemed a bit comfortable with him. She didn't seem to care what others thought of her and therefore was always herself. Woobin was glad of this, he loved the way she was.

But what if she didn't like the way he was? What if, as she got to know him, she didn't like him? He wasn't sure why he was worrying about that, because he wasn't a bad guy or anything – maybe it was because, more than anything, he wanted her to like him...

A soft knock sounded at the door. Wiping his sweaty palms one last time, Woobin went to answer it, knowing who that soft knock belonged to.

"Woobin." Krystal Jung gave him a huge smile – one that made him feel as though she was happy to be with him.

Though he was happy, was she?
"Hi, Krystal," he said, trying not to let his nerves affect his voice. "Um, sorry I couldn't meet with you earlier."
"That's all right," she said. "I had been looking forward to spending a whole day with you, but an evening is better than nothing."
His heart skipped a beat. Still smiling, she came inside.

"This is the second time I've been in your house," she said.

The first had been two months ago. Woobin could still remember that time. His father and the boss of the other gang had sat facing each other, Woobin sneaking glances at the long-haired girl beside the rival boss. And then it had been announced – they would marry, and thus end the conflict and rivalry, and form an alliance. Woobin had been too shocked to really feel anything, and he could tell the girl felt the same.

To this day, they hadn't talked about it. Those times they spent together were full of distractions – the movies, restaurants, the aquarium, a fair...

But this evening, there was nothing to distract them.

She knew that too.

"Aren't you going to ask me to sit down?" she asked with a smile.

"Oh, y-yeah," stuttered Woobin. "Um, will you sit here?"

Aish, he felt like an idiot!

She sat in one of the armchairs, and he sat in the opposite one. For a long time, they just sat there in silence. Finally, Krystal said, "Why won't you talk to me?"
"Huh?" said Woobin. "Oh, um, I was actually waiting for you to start."
She smiled in understanding. "You still feel awkward around me, don't you?"
"No!" he protested. "Not like that – I mean, this is the first time we are alone with no distractions-"
"That's good," she said. "That allows us to have an honest conversation. I don't know about you, but I regard marriage as something that can only be successful with teamwork and honesty."
He nodded. "I believe in that, too."
"Good. Let's take turns saying something honest, ok? I'll start. To be honest, I'm pretty happy about this marriage but somehow I get the feeling that you are not."

Woobin stared at her – he was more than happy...

"Are you happy about it?" she asked. "Did you have a girlfriend, and because of me-"
"No!" cried Woobin. "That's not it, at all. No, I'm really happy about it, too. It's just..."

"Yes?"

"I don't know... I've never exactly had a girlfriend before, and I'm a bit shy-"
"So that's it," she said, sounding relieved, and her phone rang. She looked at him, and he said, "Go ahead."
She answered, "Hey, Jessica!" and went to the other room, leaving Woobin some time to collect himself.

When she got back, she said, "That was my sister Jessica!"
"I didn't know you had a sister..."
"She's coming to Korea soon, so you can meet her! I've told her a lot about you, and she is excited to see you!"

What had Krystal said about him?

"You don't have any siblings, do you?" asked Krystal.

He shook his head. "Though I've always wanted a sister."
"You can consider Jessica as your sister, then – she too, has always wanted a brother. Oh, I can't wait until you guys meet!"
She leapt up, her eyes sparkling. "Can you give me a tour of your house? Please?"
She reached over and took Woobin's hand. He almost jumped at the contact, this was the first time they had ever touched...

She pulled him to his feet. "Come on, lazy-bum. Get up!"
His eyes widened – lazy-bum?? - and she laughed loudly. And he laughed, too.

Righ now, he didn't feel so shy anymore.

Because there wasn't really any reason to be afraid she wouldn't like him.

 

* * * *

Jaekyung took a deep breath and knocked on the door. What if this was the wrong house? What if Jandi had given her the wrong address? No, she wouldn't do that... Jandi was her friend - her only friend, come to think of it...

She was still relieved when Jandi opened the door.

"Jaekyung unni!" she cried, and threw her arms around her old friend. "It's been so long! Why didn't you call me earlier?"
"I was busy," replied Jaekyung, returning Jandi's hug. "But your right – it's ben too long!"
They broke away and Jandi exclaimed, "Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter