Bridge

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's not always nice. Living like this isn't always nice. All that comfort and luxury come from who knows how many tears. Woobin always knew that. It made him ashamed, that his family didn't have the kind of job other people had. Even being a janito or a labourer... that was respectable. What his family did was not respectable.

The Song family ruled the underground for years now, their rivaly with the Jeongs finally ending with the marriage to Krystal. He was always jealous back in school of the children whose parents came to pick them up. He was always picked up by men in black suits in a back car...

He tried to ignore it all, to escape, but in the end he could never really get away from it. "You are the Song's heir," they all said. "You are the Underground Prince."

Princes inspired some nobility, greatness, but this type of prince inspired neither to him – it was a source of shame, in fact.

Which is why he couldn't meet his father's eyes right now, who was sitting in front of him and whose voice was becoming louder and louder with every passing minute.
"Did you hear me?" he demanded. "It's time you actually learn the business and take your place! You are the Song's son, don't ever forget that. It's time for you to take part in it all instead of hiding!"
I'm not hiding, Woobin started to say. I just don't want to be a part of all that...

His father's lip curled maliciously. "Go ahead, stay silent like the coward you are. You don't even dare reply to me? You are getting married soon! What will you accomplish, then? Nothing! You know why? Because you are nothing – nothing but a coward."

Woobin bit his lip. Don't talk back, he told himself. He'll hit you again...

His father sighed. "Not too long ago I believed I could beat it out of you. A good beating can fix everything..."
He sighed again, and the disappointment stabbed Woobin hard in the gut. He didn't want this life, but nor did he want his father's disapproval – his father, who had never said an encouraging word to him his whole life...

"Just stay here, all right? You're too cowardly for the real world," his father said, before sneering one last time and leaving through the big double door.

Woobin took a deep, shaky breath, then let it out slowly. He tried to focus on breathing, but it kept coming out ragged and uneven...

"Binnie?" a tiny voice called from the doorway.

He snapped his head in that direction; Krystal stood there, looking small but her eyes seemed huge with something more than concern...

She took a step forward. "Are... are you ok?"
He tried to smile. He tried to put on the happy mask he wore in front of his friends, they wouldn't understand so what was the point in worrying them?
"I'm fine," he said.
She took another step forward. "I don't think so..." she whispered, and reached up to touch his cheek.

It was her touch that did it – so gentle, so warm, something that he never got. He grabbed her hand and held it against his cheek.

"Woobin?"

He let go, and his eyes slid to the floor. "Sorry..."
"You idiot," she said, and engulfed him in the tightest, warmest hug he had ever recieved. "You're my own special idiot, you know that?"

"You're just an idiot," his father had said to him, throughout his childhood. "What will an idiot like you ever accomplish?"
"I know I'm an idiot," he mumbled. "I'm sorry..."

"What on earth?" she said, withdrawing her hand and looking at him closely. "What..." Her eyes widened. "Oh. Binnie, I didn't mean like he did-"
Woobin glanced up sharply. "You heard?"
"Y-yes..."
"How much?"
She didn't reply.

"You heard it all then, didn't you?"
She nodded, not very ashamed for someone who had just confessed to eavesdropping.

He felt his heart sink a bit. "I guess now you know."
"Now I know what?"

"Just..." he said slowly. "About me – about my father-"
"Seems like your father isn't more than just a big bully." She clapped her hand over ."Oops! Sorry!"
But that wasn't what was bothering him. "I'm sorry that you had to find out that way," he said. "That I am a weak person-"
"Can I tell you a secret?" she whispered, leaning in so close he could feel her breath carress his face. "Me too, I don't like it."

Woobin didn't hear. "I guess that could be seen as weakness, but this type of life really isn't what I want, you know? I'm sorry, I should have told you earlier. I'm glad we could get it out before the wedding. I know it's a bit late, the wedding is in two weeks, but-"
"Binnie!" she cried. "You ignored me!"
He blinked. "I-"
"Shut up! I told you I don't like it either!And that's nothing to be ashamed of, it proves that you are a good person." She put her hands on either side of his face and squished his cheeks together. "Don't worry, Binnie! Awww, you look cute with your face all squished! Like a pug!"
"A pug?" he said indignantly, taking away her hands but holding them. "How dare you say that?"

She was laughing too hard to reply, she just squished his face again.

And Woobin squished hers right back.

It was like this huge burden was lifted off his shoulders, and in Krystal's confession came a new realization: he wasn't alone anymore.

 

****

 

Eunhye brought the coffee mug to Jandi who was sitting on a bench in their rest room. She sighed. It had been over a month since the incident and Woobin and Krystal's wedding was today.

No one admitted to spilling the alcohol on the stairs, which was not surprising. Jihoo warned all the staffs and had to let them go. The security cam at the floor was broken for two days before the accident, and the information irked him to no extent, not to mention the worst possible situations. It could have been anyone who slipped down. But as it is said, all's well that ends well.

She sat on the bench and nudged her, giving a smile to ease her up. Jandi smiled a little and took the mug. Well she was fine compared to last few hours.

" Hey cheer up now !"

Jandi just nodded slowly and sighed. 

Eunhye looked at her," Come on now! It has been weeks! Did you talk to Jae?"

Jandi looked at her," Yes. I've. Infact quite a few times now. And she was never mad. It felt... relieved."

"Then why are you still upset?"

"Ummm...well....Junpyo...." Jandi hesitated.

"Well I think Junpyo was shocked and scared so he behaved like that. We cannot actually criticize or judge his reaction at the spur of the moment. His kids, his wife, his family were at stake, you know...." Eunhye said and did not fail to catch Jandi flinch at the word 'wife'. She sighed and shook her head.

"I know and I totally agree but it's just...."

"It's just that you are not used to be yelled at by Junpyo for concerning someone else. Being yelled is not the problem but being yelled at by him is." Eunhye looked straight at her catching her offguard.

"What should I do?" Jandi exhaled.

"Nothing. In this situation you will not do or think anything. Just be there."

Jandi smiled a little," You said the same thing that very day as well. Remember?"

"I have to say this again cuz the matter is still the same." Eunhye's voice was soft yet still. "And you are still at the same thought as you were on that very day."

Jandi felt really uncomfortable at her gaze so she looked down. Eunhye understood the moment and decided to change the topic.

"Hey, forget all this now. You get to met Junpyo at Bin's wedding so you can apologize at once and MOVE ON. I bet his anger is dissolved by now."

Jandi shook her her head," I don't think so. He can really be angry at things and never let go."

Eunhye shrugged, "Atleast you could try for your friendship and clear your conscience. You need to."

Jandi nodded,"Yeah, You're right. Well I guess I'll meet you and oppa at the venue

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter