Blissful....yet

Broken Promises
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaekyung shut the door behind her; after a satisfying day at the bakery where she found that things were going brilliantly, what could be better than coming to a nice, quiet home? But of course nothing ever went the way she planned.

"AUNTY JAE!!!" Something cannon-balled at her and wrapped around her legs. "AUNTY JAE!!!"
"NOOOO! Byul, no no no no! You can't do that to your aunty anymore, got that?" Junpyo's face was almost scandalised as he pried Byul away, but Jaekyung bent down and scooped thelittle girl in a hug.

Don't yell at her, she mouthed to Junpyo, who huffed sulkily.

"Byul is here again, yay!" she said. "Is your mom here too?"
"She is." Junpyo still sounded a little sulky. "She just went out and will be back-"
"Aunty Jae having baby!" squealed Byul.

Junpyo's eyes widened. "Who told you that?"
"Eomma! Uncy Jun and Aunty Jae kiss now?"
Junpyo promptly turned a beautiful shade of magenta and opened his mouth to reply but Byul went on. "Baby only comes when Mommy and Daddy in love!"
They avoided each other's gaze and Junpyo hurriedy grabbed the girl and swung her onto his high shoulders. She screamed and he mercifully went away, hopefully as far away as possible because he seemed even more embarrassed. Byul, that kid...

She smiled to herself and went up to rest. Unfortunately Junpyo got over his embarrassment to come yell at her about how unhealthy it was to just lie down like that after work. "At least take a shower!'
"You're so naggy!" Jaekyung yelled back. "Ever since you got those stupid books you won't leave me alone!"
"Someone has to educate themselves on pregnancy! Since it's obviously not you I had to take matter into my own hands!"

Jaekyung groaned. The other day, Junpyo had sneakily crept up the stairs and that was precisely what had made Jaekyung suspicious – since when was Junpyo sneaky about anything? She had followed him up, muttered "Gotcha" and he shrieked and a pile of books scattered about the floor. "DON'T SNEAK UP ON ME!" he yelled while she picked up one of the books. A pregnant woman beamed at her from the cover, her equally-beaming husband (or male model or whatever) had his arm around her; A Healthy Pregnancy for Her and Him, the title boldly declared.

"Junpyo!" she yelled. "Why would you go and buy something like this? And wait... are these all about pregnancy? What is wrong with you? I never asked for these, you have no business to-"
"I have every business to!" he cut in. "Jaekyung... I am their father, I have every right to know everything I can about this! And I don't – no, don't laugh at me, please. I'm going to study well and take care of you – and our babies. Let me take care of you, please."
Jaekyung had wavered then. "Fine then."
And she wished she hadn't. Junpyo followed her around, reading out loud about facts about pregnancy and making comments such as, "Wow, it says here women gain a lot of weight at some point... and it's true, seems like you have gained some too."
She had burst into tears and he guiltily tossed the book away. "No, Jae, I was joking! You're not fat, promise! You're still thin and pretty-"
"Oh, so only thin women can be pretty?" Jaekyung demanded so fiercely that he finched.

"N-no, of course not! I only meant-
"So I am fat after all!" Jaekyung wailed.

Junpyo never talked about weight again and she glared at him the next time she ate ice cream, as though daring him to say anything. Which he didn't of course, he wasn't that brave or stupid after all.

"Ah, here it says you have to exercise," he said another time. "Are you exercising?"
Jaekyung flipped the TV channel. "What are you going on about now?"
His chest puffed up as he took a deep breath to shout, "So you don't exercise after all! See, good thing I'm around or else who knows what might have happened to the babies! Get up – get up, Jaekyung! You should build up your abdominal muscles!"
Stupid Junpyo, mused Jaekyung, doing sit-ups. Junpyo held her ankles and her hand, helping her a bit. Also, he helped her verbally. "COME ON, ONE MORE!! YOU'RE NOT THAT MUCH OF A WEAKLING ARE YOU? JUST ONE MORE!!!"

After those exercises, he had the decency to let her hit him a few times.

She thought that would be it, but no: he poked her awake and before she could even register that he was in her room he said, "Yoga. You need to do yoga."
"Nooo," she mumbled, and pulled the cover over her head.

"Why not?"
"You already have me doing so much... yah, just go back to Shinhwa-"

"But... I'm the father! And you're going to do yoga and that's the end. To make sure you won't run away I'll be there too."
Jaekyung was wide awake now. "W-what? So... couple yoga?"
"I was thinking more like... staying inside and watching you?"
"If you don't do yoga with me I won't either."
"Fine! I'll do it with you!"
It was worth it, to be able to laugh at Junpyo in his yoga pants.

"Shut up," he muttered, glaring at the floor.

"Sorry," she snickered. "It's just... you look so funny!"
But there was something equally pleasant to see, too. He was always in suits or expensive shirts... now, seeing him in a baggy T-shirt and yoga pants was comical as well as another sign he was human.

"You're quite a sight, too," he muttered. "With you tummy sticking-"
"WHAT?"
"N-nothing!"
Before she could hit him, an instructor greeted them and led them to a room full of other couples. Jaekyung smiled at a few; Junpyo looked down, probably in deep shame.

He paid more attention than Jaekyung, however, at the talk the insructor gave about the benefits of yoga. Afteer a while, he noticed her exchanging smiles with someone and poked her. "Are you even listening?" he hissed.

"Shut up, I'm busy."
"This is because I was going to talk about your tummy right?"
"Just shut up."
She turned to the other woman and made a 'cuckoo' sign at Junpyo.

Junpyo just wanted to go home then and there; he brought her for yoga and it was all for her own good, he wasn't going to be the one crying over labor pains. Why couldn't she just see his good intentions? What would she have been like if Minhyuk had brought her here instead?

He poked her again though, when they were being told how to breathe properly. "At least listen to this."

"The breathing technique is called ujjayi," said the instructor. "You take in the air through your nose, expand your belly as you fill in your lungs, and exhale completely so your stomach compresses. This trains you to stay calm; when your body produces adrenaline when you're afraid or in pain, you produce less oxytocin, which is a hormone that makes labor progress. Yoga will help you not tighten up when you feel pain, and relax instead."

The couples were told to sit cross-legged, back to back.

"Breathe deeply..."

Junpyo inhaled. He could feel Jaekyung inhale too...

"Feel your partner breathing, become one with breathing."
When she exhaled, he exhaled. They timed their breathing, they leaned against each other for back support. He could feel her smaller frame expand and compress against him; a tiny fluttering began in the pit of his stomach.

Everything was going fine. For once, they were silent and not arguing as they leaned against each other, and stretched sideways. But of course, something had to happen.

It was when Jaekyung was supposed to lean way back on Junpyo, and he was supposed to lean forward and stretch. That was when he shrieked "CRAMPS!!!" and she rolled off to the side. The instrucor helped her up immediately and Junpy

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter