Get-to-know

OURS (ON HOLD)

CHAPTER 7

The first event has started. After we ate our dinner, we gathered outside with a bonfire while we eat the prepared snacks and drinks.

 

Getting to know each other is our first step for this volunteer thingy in the orphanage. It’s the start for us, volunteers, to get to know the kids and connect with them. And also the start for us, volunteers, to get to know each other and make friends.

 

The kids are the first ones who introduced their selves. We’ve known their names, their likes especially their dreams. I almost cried...ah, I cried when one of them shared a different dream.

 

“Ever since I’ve known life, I wanted to be a professional and build a house for my parents. But now that I learned life, I dreamed to be with my parents again even if it does not gonna happen ever again.”

 

I cried more when I remembered this kid from last year. He doesn’t talk much, doesn’t mingle to everyone more often and he’s almost always by his self. We always start the winter break mission in getting to know everyone and last year he didn’t shared any, he only introduced his self. But now, he opened up. That’s why my tears are half happiness and pain.

 

“How can you say it will never ever happen again?” Suddenly, Sungkyu asked.

 

The little boy looked down and smiled, “They’re already in heaven.”

 

I heard others gasp, others sobs while me I just cried silently, tears are falling so fast. Sungkyu who received the answer has nothing to do but to just stare at the little boy with his blank expression.

 

Even the ahjummas are crying, because really, none of us know his story. It’s the first time for us to hear it from him. God, I salute this kid. Imagine how hard it was for him having such a painful memory and a heavy heart all by himself.

 

After the kids are done, it’s our turn. Most of us shared the reason why we’re here, why we chose to be here and most of us are because the parents are working overseas while others are living all by their selves.

 

“All done!” One of the ahjummas announced. “I hope we all had a great time getting to know each other. And I want to thank you guys for choosing to be here with us, for the kids. I hope and pray to see you all again next year. But now, I wish you enjoy this winter with the kids!”

 

And we all clap our hands as we wrap the event. When we’re all greeting each and everyone for a goodnight, that’s when I noticed Sungkyu isn’t around anymore ever since the kids’ part has ended.

 

Where he could be?

 

We all entered the house and went to our designated rooms. I expected Sungkyu to be in the room but nope, he isn’t here.

 

The event took long and it’s almost 10 in the evening and by the time of 11, all of us must be at our rooms or else the ahjummas will punish you. Whether you cook for the morning or wash the dishes at evening. And yes, there’s such rule in here.

 

I am having a fight with myself weather I go out and find him or just ignore him. But after a few minutes, I decided to just find him. I tried looking for him at the kitchen, at the balcony in front, even at the playground, but there’s no Sungkyu.

 

“What about the balcony at the back?” I asked myself and went there hoping to see him and yay, finally.

 

I walked in silence to get near him and.... “Boo.” tried to startle him but failed.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked right away. “You ditched us and skipped your turn to introduced yourself.”

 

“Ah, yeah.” That’s all he said.

 

“Why did you left?” Out of curiosity, I asked.

 

“Ah. I just went to the comfort room and decided to ditch.” He said with a small laugh at the end.

 

“Tss. Liar.”

 

“Yeh?”

 

“Just admit it. You were sorry for Soomin and hope yourself you shouldn’t ask the question you let out earlier.” I said frankly.

 

I noticed earlier how his eyes stare at Soomin before. He doesn’t even blink for a long time when he’s looking at Soomin. And when Soomin was done and it is other kid’s turn, Sungkyu remain silent, and just stared in a particular direction, which is Soomin’s place.

 

“That kid, why must he think so mature?”

 

“I know right! He’s just 8 years old, for your information.”

“8 years old? Gosh, he’s more mature than me.”

 

“And why did you— oh my gosh, it’s passed eleven! Let’s go!” I grabbed his hand and drag him to run.

 

“Why are we running?” He asked panting. Oh. Is he tired already?

 

“Sssshh!” Signalled him to shut while walking slowly as we pass the head of the orphanage’s office. “I’ll tell you later. Right now, we need to get the room before anyone can see—”

 

“Jeong Eunji-ssi?”

 

“N-ne?”

 

“Kim Sungkyu-ssi?”

 

“Ye?”

....

For my third time in this volunteer service, it’s the first time I violated the rule of curfew. The head of the orphanage caught us. If only we run faster, we shouldn’t get caught. Or if only we waited a few minutes before we go back to our room, we should’ve got the perfect timing.

 

Ah! It’s not like it’s a big crime, or I don’t want to do the consequences, it’s just that... ugh, the ahjumma thought Sungkyu and I are... you know, there’s something going on between us that’s why we’re out late at night.

 

“I didn’t know about the curfew. I am sorry.”

 

He keeps on apologizing ever since we got back to our room after the head talked to us.

 

“No, it’s okay. Sometimes, we need to experience punishments.” I said joking and laugh.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll do the two punishments tomorrow.”

 

“Nope. Let’s do it together. It’ll be easy if the two of us help each other.”

 

“Really? Ah, thanks! Cos seriously, I can’t cook well and washing dishes is tiring! And---”

 

“Mwoya? Haha!” And I can’t help but to laugh.

 

“Oh.” When he realizes his words he shut up and enters the bathroom. “But really thanks!” He shouts as he entered.

 

Now I can’t let go of the smile that my laugh has made because of Sungkyu. He said those words so fast though. Haha. My smile got wider when I remembered what just happened before tonight’s event.

 

Flashback

“Kajima.”

I got shocked when I heard Sungkyu said those words. I thought he heard me saying if I just leave too and thought he doesn’t want me to go.

“What did you say?” I asked him and he repeated saying..

“Kajima.”

I stood up from my bed and walked to his only to find out he’s asleep and only dreaming.

End of flashback

 

That was really a funny moment. I thought someone wants me to stay because they want to be with me but it turns out to be just a false hope.

 

Haays, Jeong Eunji, it’s okay.

 

It’s okay.

 

 

 

-

Mian for the super late update. I'll try to update as fast as I can ^__^